Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Jason on Silver Spoons is a part of my childhood, Ricky was actually a terrible actor, Jason has always had excellent comedic timing, and, for some reason, he never ages!

He doesn't! He looks great. It's nice to see a 'child star' not crash and burn.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I always record award shows so I can FF thru commercials, nonsense bits, musical interludes, and acceptance speeches by people I've never heard of. I can generally get through this in about an hour and a half.

It's not a surprise the ratings continue to fall. Fewer and fewer people are willing to sit through a 3-hour broadcast laden with commercials in this day and age.

I was trying to speed through my recording, skip commercials, and keep up with this thread... but I got distracted and missed a commercial, and I'm pretty sure my tablet's Alexa signed me up for a free trial of Amazon music. Hey, Alexa!  Stop doing that!

• LOL 5
17 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Bummed for Gwendolyn, if only because dressing as Joan of Arc should have gotten her on the stage. She was heartbreaking in the final season. 

But my friends who love Ozark are happy.

Yes, I'm an Ozark fan, and I'm ecstatic. Sure, Ruth is a well-written character, but playing her required execution. Julia Garner kept Ruth from being a pathetic character you felt sorry for, or at the other extreme, an unbelievable Mary Sue. 

I didn't watch GoT this season, but Gwendolyn was always fantastic. So yeah, I'm a bit sad for her, too. 

• Love 1

I always enjoy reading the annual articles from anonymous Academy members who explain why they voted the way they did. Not infrequently they admit to not watching a show, voting for a person because they like them, feel they were slighted for a previous role, etc. 

TV is so different now. Cable shows were only allowed to compete for Emmys starting in 1988. Bet the Big 4 didn't foresee themselves being squeezed almost out of existence by the upstarts!

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I always enjoy reading the annual articles from anonymous Academy members who explain why they voted the way they did. Not infrequently they admit to not watching a show, voting for a person because they like them, feel they were slighted for a previous role, etc. 

Oooo. Links?

7 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I would argue good writing is good writing. Barry isn't funny because of swearing or sex. Most of VEEP can be shown on Network tv too (just bleep out the words). I do think HBO, Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix have more money to spend on promotion. But when a show is good and relevant, it can win. This Is Us won. The Good Wife won, the annoying show about geeks won. 

I agree, I think the advantage that cable and streaming has is overstated. The big thing seems that networks are scared of taking risks. But yea good writing and interesting characters can appear on any channel. Hell The West Wing beat The Sopranos for best drama 4 times. Put out stuff with that level of acting and writing and you win awards. 

• Love 5

No, they were the producers so they got the award.  And did all the talking.

Yeah but Benioff and Weiss didn't win any of the writing, directing, etc. awards, right? After the beginning I was very liberal with the fast-forward button so I skipped a LOT of speeches.

18 HOURS AGO, ECM1231 SAID:

Who was the male performer singing about variety programs?

I don't know his name, but his name is Andy on Modern Family. 

Adam Devine. He's got a Netflix comedy special. Netflix hasn't been giving them to the best people lately so I haven't watched it yet. 

2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

He doesn't! He looks great. It's nice to see a 'child star' not crash and burn.

Not just with him, but with Joey King-- she's only 20, but she's grown immensely from when she started at 4 years old with that Life Cereal commercial!

I don't care that regular networks aren't getting as much love anymore. Most of them don't deserve it anyway. This is always thing. People complained about hbo and other premium channels, then basic cable stepped up. Now we are here. Entertainment evolves. People are running away from actual cable in droves. Even with me paying for YouTube tv, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon I'm still saving money. You can afford streaming channels. Your average person can anyway. It's just about what we are willing to spend on. People have a lot of vices out there whether it be eating out constantly, coffee, cigarettes, clothes, etc. There is always something. I don't blow money on stuff like that. Times are tough for many, I know. But, a few of these streaming channels a month aren't bad. Especially if you balance the money right.

We are living in a time with almost too many choices but I love it. The times of just channel surfing cable are gone and I don't miss it.

I also don't subscribe to the whole, so and so didn't deserve to win. I have my people and shows that I love for but all these people and shows being nominated are doing great things even if I don't care for them. They all deserve to win because they put in the work and did work well enough that people took notice or were invested.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

IMHO, any show that welcomes a Kardashian or Jenner gives up all claims of being legitimate 

It gave the audience the most genuine laugh of the night. Nothing wrong with that.

• LOL 1
20 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

It gave the audience the most genuine laugh of the night. Nothing wrong with that.

Too bad the Ks didn't laugh along. It's always a missed opportunity when celebrities have managed to become rich and famous without learning the value of being able to laugh at one's self --the value to both themselves and to the public.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Too bad the Ks didn't laugh along. It's always a missed opportunity when celebrities have managed to become rich and famous without learning the value of being able to laugh at one's self --the value to both themselves and to the public.

They are basically robots to me so I'm not surprised. But, you are right. Having a sense of humor and not being so self absorbed would go a long way towards humanizing. Freaking Caitlyn Jenner used the roast of Alec Baldwin to preach about herself and her community. That family can be insufferable.

• Love 4
On 9/22/2019 at 9:02 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:
On 9/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, mojoween said:

I may have been disappointed with the end but I will love GoT for all time.  But why is John Bradley in the audience?  He has as much right to be on the stage as Carice Van Houten.

I figured it's because Carice submitted her own nomination.

Or maybe that was Gwendolyn. Or both of them.

On 9/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, dbell1 said:

Could they not fit Bran the Broken and Sam up there?

Only GoT Emmy nominees were invited on stage.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2019 at 9:19 PM, General Days said:

Viola Davis looks fantastic and very evocative of the '70s, but is she wearing sneakers? 

Yes, platform sneakers, and she was walking somewhat heavily.  Maybe she hurt herself?

On 9/22/2019 at 9:38 PM, Arynm said:

I always say "very interesting" like Arte Johnson and I had no idea where I had gotten it from. Still don't really know, some show that I must have seen at some point that made an impact. Funny how that works sometimes.

Laugh-In?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

Also, when the cast of Game of Thrones was onstage, why leave out Isaac Hempstead Wright? I mean, why did they think he came all this way?

Only the actors who had individual nominations were onstage then.  When the show won best drama, they all went up.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I also don't subscribe to the whole, so and so didn't deserve to win. I have my people and shows that I love for but all these people and shows being nominated are doing great things even if I don't care for them. They all deserve to win because they put in the work and did work well enough that people took notice or were invested.

Good point! The way you're saying this, I take it, is that Michelle Williams (who took the Emmy for Best Female Lead Limited for Fosse/Verdon) deserved it just as much as Joey King did for The Act (the reason why being that Michelle put in as much hard work as Joey). Is that it?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yes, platform sneakers, and she was walking somewhat heavily.  Maybe she hurt herself?

Maybe she did hurt herself, but I've noticed that Viola Davis always walks like her feet hurt, no matter what kinds of shoes she's wearing.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Yeah but Benioff and Weiss didn't win any of the writing, directing, etc. awards, right? After the beginning I was very liberal with the fast-forward button so I skipped a LOT of speeches.

You are correct about that one.  I wasn't thinking about what you meant about recognizing them.  I do think it's possible that having 3 directing nominations for GOT may have split the vote, but I'm sure Jason Bateman was deserving.

19 hours ago, Racj82 said:

You can afford streaming channels.

I can't afford streaming channels and my satellite, and since I still watch mostly regular tv, I choose my satellite.  You have no idea what other people's budgets are like.  What seems like a reasonable expense to you may not seem like one to someone else.  Sometimes it's about paying necessary bills, not splurging on vices.  I suppose my satellite and internet services are a splurge, but that's about it.  Streaming channels would be more of a splurge.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I can't afford streaming channels and my satellite, and since I still watch mostly regular tv, I choose my satellite.  You have no idea what other people's budgets are like.  What seems like a reasonable expense to you may not seem like one to someone else.  Sometimes it's about paying necessary bills, not splurging on vices.  I suppose my satellite and internet services are a splurge, but that's about it.  Streaming channels would be more of a splurge.

You are kind of ignoring everything else I wrote in order to zero in on that one point. Like I've said before, a lot of people stream TO save money. Paying for cable is the expensive thing. You can get say sling TV and few streaming channels and still save money. That's the point. Paying for cable was breaking my bank. Not what I'm doing now. I still watch all the basic network and cable TV I want without satellite and cable. I still save. I did a lot of research into this because I refused to keep paying for these upcharges cable kept doing. This isn't an attack on anybody. We are all out here struggling and fighting to get by. All I'm saying is paying for streaming networks isn't exactly true if you look at all the factors involved.

On another note, I see the Emmys moving to streaming sooner rather than later. More and more people don't watch live TV or network tv. So, airing on a network isn't going to cut it. They stand a chance to hit more people off of network tv. There needs to be some sort of meeting in the building. Older people often ignore Netflix and the like for their standard but then when Emmys come around they are lost. A lot of younger people skip the Emmys because of the platform it's on.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

You are kind of ignoring everything else I wrote in order to zero in on that one point. Like I've said before, a lot of people stream TO save money. Paying for cable is the expensive thing. You can get say sling TV and few streaming channels and still save money. That's the point. Paying for cable was breaking my bank. Not what I'm doing now. I still watch all the basic network and cable TV I want without satellite and cable. I still save. I did a lot of research into this because I refused to keep paying for these upcharges cable kept doing. This isn't an attack on anybody. We are all out here struggling and fighting to get by. All I'm saying is paying for streaming networks isn't exactly true if you look at all the factors involved.

On another note, I see the Emmys moving to streaming sooner rather than later. More and more people don't watch live TV or network tv. So, airing on a network isn't going to cut it. They stand a chance to hit more people off of network tv. There needs to be some sort of meeting in the building. Older people often ignore Netflix and the like for their standard but then when Emmys come around they are lost. A lot of younger people skip the Emmys because of the platform it's on.

I zeroed in on the point which applied to me.  I watch a lot of regular tv which is not available through Sling or other streaming services, so no, streaming services would not save me money.  I've done the research so I know this would not save me money.  It might for other people and that's fine, but there are those of us who've done the research and found it is not a better option for us.  So therefore we haven't seen shows which are on streaming services.  That's a choice based on our priorities, so it's on us, not on the services.

And that is my last word on the subject because it's off-topic.

Personally, I wouldn't care if the Emmy telecast moved to a streaming service because I rarely watch the Emmys anyway.  I only watched this year because of Game of Thrones and Chernobyl.  (Which reminds me, time to cancel HBO because my discounted period runs out the middle of next month.)

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I zeroed in on the point which applied to me.  I watch a lot of regular tv which is not available through Sling or other streaming services, so no, streaming services would not save me money.  I've done the research so I know this would not save me money.  It might for other people and that's fine, but there are those of us who've done the research and found it is not a better option for us.  So therefore we haven't seen shows which are on streaming services.  That's a choice based on our priorities, so it's on us, not on the services.

And that is my last word on the subject because it's off-topic.

Personally, I wouldn't care if the Emmy telecast moved to a streaming service because I rarely watch the Emmys anyway.  I only watched this year because of Game of Thrones and Chernobyl.  (Which reminds me, time to cancel HBO because my discounted period runs out the middle of next month.)

Agree to disagree on many points.

This is a crazy time we are entering in. It's almost like tv is having the same problems movies are. Like, with the Oscars, a lot of those movies don't get watched by the masses. Sometimes because you literally can't watch them unless you live in select places. So, like when I'm watching the oscars, I'm often like well I will have to take their word for it. I haven't seen most of this stuff. It's only going to get worse. Apple, Disney plus, and Warner brothers are entering into the fight with a bunch of services that already exist. I have my Hulu, Netflix and Amazon prime but beyond that, I can't see it. It would have to be based on what but even then, everyone is about lose in someway or another.

9 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Good point! The way you're saying this, I take it, is that Michelle Williams (who took the Emmy for Best Female Lead Limited for Fosse/Verdon) deserved it just as much as Joey King did for The Act (the reason why being that Michelle put in as much hard work as Joey). Is that it?

Yes, I mean, they all worked hard. The training and roles are different but the work was put in with both cases. I have my favorites but I would just never say one deserved an award over the other.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, Racj82 said:

Yes, I mean, they all worked hard. The training and roles are different but the work was put in with both cases. I have my favorites but I would just never say one deserved an award over the other.

Great insight! I know now that when someone is "snubbed" (as I thought Joey King originally was in favor of Williams, based on all the articles about Joey's loss), it means they don't even get a chance to get the Emmy or Oscar or Golden Globe; I am convinced now to put it more positively and say that Joey almost did it (sooner or later, she will!).

And it's not like Joey's been winless in her career-- after all, she does have a Young Artist from Ramona and Beezus, and a Kids' Choice from The Kissing Booth, so surely there's precedent and impetus!

I have my favorites but I would just never say one deserved an award over the other.

I would. Nothing Jason Bateman had to do on Ozark compares to any of the directing jobs on Game of Thrones, for example. Regardless of how you feel about that final season, it would be a Herculean job directing any one of those huge battle scenes. And Jason Bateman gets it? Really? He lucked out because the other nominees split the votes, but that doesn't mean he deserved it the most IMO.

Same for a lot of the acting awards.  A lot of times it's just a popularity contest. 

• Love 4

Yeah the music was terrible. Chernobyl’s win came with a peppy pop song which didn’t fit the show at all. What happened to just playing the theme song of a show.

I think they should have had a host. I think even if the jokes fall flat a host still adds something. 

• Love 1
On 9/27/2019 at 9:33 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I bet this show will become similar to the daytime Emmys who’ve gone to streaming. 

On 9/28/2019 at 8:50 PM, chitowngirl said:

Or be relegated to TBS/TNT like the SAG awards.

I hope not! For as crappy as the show was this year I would hate to see one of the "Big 4" (EGOT) be relegated to basic cable or YouTube. I think they tried too hard to modernize the presentation (no host, "quirky" commentary, bits that would have been scrapped from a late night show opening, etc) when they really need to modernize the categories and who is recognized/honored/awarded.

• Love 2

I don't think they're trying to attract millennials. Us older millennials are in our mid-to-late 30s. Pretty sure the next generation to try to loop in are the youngins who weren't even in elementary school yet when 9/11 happened but had cellphones when they could still tell you their age on two hands.

• Love 2

So I’m curious to see how will go ahead this year if indeed it does go ahead. It’s still a good while off yet but with nominations being announced at the end of June they’ll have to start making some decisions.

Anyone have nomination guesses or preferences?

• Love 2

I cannot wrap my head around the Tom Pelphrey snub.  It's like when Zach Gilford was snubbed.

Kristen Bell should've joined her three costars as nominees.

I would give anything to have D'Arcy Carden and Annie Murphy tie, but I know Alex fucking Borstein will win again, some more.  Instead, I will have to put all my hopes and dreams on Catherine O'Hara winning.

Actress in a Drama is seriously stacked.

• Love 1