Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

now, i thought he was genuflecting. 

The one knee behind the other knee made me think of curtseying, but maybe they genuflect differently in the UK, plus it's been a long time since I genuflected myself! John and Lin Manuel can stand there and do anything. 

• Love 4

Michelle Williams' speech was amazing. I was practically breathless at the momentum of it and then when she finished with "This is for you, Matilda, like everything is" (sic), I full on lost it.

Variety series writing was so competitive. I would have been happy with any of the nominees winning.

• Love 12

I'm not sure that clip reel proved that it's been a great year in TV but I do think they made the right choice with Cranston. Even if I was skeptical of his claims, he delivered them with a gravitas that gave the trite words weight. 

I need to watch Barry apparently but I'm cheap and I want the show to finish it's run so I can watch it all in a week on a free trial.

Tony Shalhoub is the most unbelievably charming man.

When people suggest that Amy Poehler should host things, I'm going to point to that painfully unfunny banter. She's very hit or miss for me. 

I also need to watch Fleabag and Veep. No excuses. I'm just never in the mood.

They really gave Alex a whole moment, didn't they? She looked great in her dress. Hell, they played her off with Lizzo.

• Love 1

Ollie! I would have been happy with any of the current or former Daily Show-ers winning. 

I think James Corden is talented, but I am not a fan of him as a talk show host (or an award show host). 

Billy Porter always looks amazing.

5 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Amy Sedaris will always have a special place in my heart for Strangers with Candy so I was hoping she would win.

I love Strangers with Candy. Jerri Blank cracked me up. 

• Love 3

Damn, I didn't get the full effect of Billy Porter's outfit until I saw him walking on that stage!

Yay for Last Week Tonight!  I finally started watching it after last year's Emmys and I just love it!!

Edited by wallflower75
  • Love 6
Just now, wallflower75 said:

Yay for Last Week Tonight!  I finally started watching it after last year and I just love it!!

Welcome aboard :D!

Yay for Oliver once again! I wonder if they have a shelf for all their Emmys at their workplace-must be getting pretty dang full by now :p. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Stephen looked a little...disappointed.

I wouldn't blame him if he did feel that way a little. It would be tough to be up against a show that consistently wins like that, no matter how deserving it may be. And even if you don't care about yourself in particular winning, you may feel bad on behalf of the others who work on the show. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

An In Memoriam for shows ending?  Okay, then.

They’ve done it before during years when a bunch of high profile or influential shows end at the same time. If it were just Game of Thrones then we may have just seen the extended intro to the cast giving that award and no montage of the assorted shows that end each year. 

1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I wouldn't blame him if he did feel that way a little. It would be tough to be up against a show that consistently wins like that, no matter how deserving it may be. And even if you don't care about yourself in particular winning, you may feel bad on behalf of the others who work on the show. 

I was thinking pretty much the same thing when Louis-Dreyfus didn't win.

Like Colbert, JLD doesn't need it. She has tons of awards and acclaim, and a great career. If there weren't award shows, and just every once in a while shows (or actors, writers, etc.) won an award, and they read about it in Variety, they'd probably think, "Oh, good for him/her. That was a great show."

• Love 3

I was looking down when the shows ending montage started but did they skip iZombie and Elementary? I would say I get skipping iZombie because it's on the CW but they included stupid Jane the Virgin. Elementary was on for 7 seasons. That's a slap in the face!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Stephen looked a little...disappointed.

as well he should. ‘last week tonight’ is great, but they have the luxury of time.  ‘the late show’ does it every day, often shooting at at a moving target.  

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 22
29 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

Shut up Michelle Williams.  

Replace her name with Thomas Lennon's and I would agree. His so-called "jokes" are painful. "Root-canal-with-Medieval-tools" painful.

Kudos to Jharrell Jerome. IMO, watching When They See Us is like physical therapy: it's hard and painful, but the results are worth it.

As far as I'm concerned, Angela Bassett is more beautiful at 60 than many women half her age, no matter what she  wears.

• Love 12

I think Stephen was fine. He lost to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show a lot when he did The Colbert Report. 

I love Peter Dinklage, but would love it to go to someone else. I do not know who, but someone.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I was looking down when the shows ending montage started but did they skip iZombie and Elementary? I would say I get skipping iZombie because it's on the CW but they included stupid Jane the Virgin. Elementary was on for 7 seasons. That's a slap in the face!

and didn't include Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (right? I might have glanced away for a nanosecond and missed it).

• Love 2

I adore Peter Dinklage but I just don't think he's anywhere near the best in this category. I think he deserved it the first time, but not since. And honestly, his accent work has always been really shaky.

I would have loved to see someone else get it, especially Alfie Allen, who was so quietly and consistently superb with a complex character.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

I think Stephen was fine. He lost to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show a lot when he did The Colbert Report. 

Very true. And Stephen and John are good friends, too, so at the end of the day, it's still cool to see a friend do well. That's one of the things I like about the current crop of late night hosts, they don't seem to have that sort of competitive nature that we had with the late night wars of years past. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8

Viola Davis looks fantastic and very evocative of the '70s, but is she wearing sneakers? 

I'm glad Dinklage won. It's a pretty significant win when you're up against two of your own co-stars in the same category. You didn't just win because your show is (was) hot. 

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Alfie Allen submitting for lead actor was a curious choice.

I agree. He did have a big arc though. 

• Love 5