Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

So glad it wasn't Sam Rockwell! There was nothing about his performance that said, "I am/was a dancer." There was no glimmer of Bob Fosse's charisma that allowed him to get away with all the crap he did. Sam was just icky.

Congrats to  Jharrel Jerome and  Exonerated 5!

• Love 3

It's nice to see winners be able to kiss their same-sex partners when their names are announced, but it suddenly made me sad for all the people who couldn't do so for far too long. 

I'm a little behind, so I'm just coming on Craig Mazin's win for Chernobyl. He so deserves it.

What he does not deserve  is this shit from the announcer: "More like Craig A-mazin. Unfortunately, the Emmy statue holds an atom in her hands. The Ebeneezer Scrooge of the Chernobyl incident."

Someone needs to cut his mic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, Ms Lark said:

So glad it wasn't Sam Rockwell! There was nothing about his performance that said, "I am/was a dancer." There was no glimmer of Bob Fosse's charisma that allowed him to get away with all the crap he did. Sam was just icky.

Congrats to  Jharrel Jerome and  Exonerated 5!

I didn't want Sam to win, but I thought he did a good job as Fosse in the show. There were moments in the final two episodes where, to me, he evoked the aging Fosse to a really surprising degree.

Although for me nothing will touch Michelle Williams, who was absolutely incredible as Gwen Verdon. She's the only other person I'm desperately rooting for tonight. What she did -- with her face, her body, her movement, her speech, her singing... was just spooky to me. It was a superb performance.

• Love 7

Weird, random question that came to me because I can’t see many of these shows. If you could have one or the other, would you choose HBO or Hulu?  I rarely watch Hulu, but I do love the fact that I can randomly get my CSI fix whenever I want to.  On the other hand, I don’t have the binge watching time I used to. 

I know, first world problems. Sigh. 

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Black Mirror wins.  I'm sure Deadwood will try again... in fifteen years, when Bullock,Al Swearengen, and the rest of the gang will be in wooden wheelchairs and crutches, but till spouting massive amounts of profanity and killing people brutally!

Sadly, this is the end for "Deadwood." Show creator David Milch has Alzheimer's and has said the film was the end of the journey. 

• Useful 1

Is it me or does Zendaya's gown seem like a clapback to people who were mad at the idea of her playing Ariel. I still don't like her but it's a good look. 

Color's a bit harsh but Catherine Zeta-Jones is another goddess tonight.

I thought Carice van Houten was a sad Alison Brie. Unfortunate.

Even Angela Bassett isn't looking her best. Who gave so many women the brief to not show their abs but that weird part of the upper stomach right under the bust?

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau looks like an adorable dork. Not good but eh, he's fine.

Cara Santana. Finally someone else who looks good. 

For once, I agree that Michelle Williams looks good. Great gown. 

Michael K. Williams looking smooth and fine as hell. I think he might have won the unspoken competition of the brown suits/tuxes. 

Charitably, Sarah Silverman is going for a 60's vibe but it just looks inappropriately youthful and inexpensive.

Joey King. Someone not looking like a complete mess. Thank you.

I would have liked Billy Porter's outfit better if the pants had more shape like bell bottoms or were tight fitting but I love him and from the jacket up, I think this works.

Sandra Oh. Not with that blush. Not with that hair. 

Kristen Bell. You know, making choices. I'm looking at a good photo but I feel like the dress could be more flattering. 

Alex Borstein found a mother of the bride dress that somehow works for her. Maybe I've just been beaten down by how badly the plus size women have been forced to dress. 

I kind of like Zoe Kazan's dress. At least compared to the other dresses with giant pink shoulder details. My brain may be broken.

Marisa Tomei's dress doesn't need the train. The trend this year is designers being bad at finishing skirts.

Waist up, I don't think Lena Headey looks bad. Again, skirts are rough this year. 

I'm feeling assaulted by the amount of bad fashion.

Maisie Williams's dress is odd but somehow better than what most people are wearing. 

Nicole Byer looks fabulous. YES, YES, YES. THANK YOU. Aidy Bryant also looks good. Someone get together a meeting where Nicole and Aidy tell the other plus size women where to shop. Christ. 

Ava DuVernay looks cool as hell.

Kerry Washington looks too fabulous to be at this mess of a fashion parade. 

Taraji, no.

Janet Mock, NO. Who did this to you? Orange trash bags...

Natasha Lyonne is working that look.

Kit Harington. See, guys. You can just not wear a tie. You don't have to be fully insane.