Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Holy crap, it took me forever to realize that Isaac Hempstead Wright was beside/towering over Emilia Clarke.  Bran grew up to be tall as hell!

It still gives me pause to see him walking.

1 minute ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Well gee, if they'd shown that Ron Rifkin is on this new doctor show, I'd have thought about giving it a chance. Unfortunately none of the rest of the cast or the premise interests me.

I yelled out, "Sloane!"

• Love 4

"Apologies to all the presenters we didn't get to tonight...Michael B. Jordan! Scottie B. Pippen!"

And they ended on the stroke of 11:00.  SNL training for the win!

Edited by Archery
  • Love 18

I thought that except for the Maya and Fred bits (sad because I like them both) everything went really well. Honestly, they must have seen that Maya/Fred stuff wasn't going over and they should have dumped the second bit. They could have kept the third bit where they introduce the accountants. They could have given the winners time for slightly longer speeches. 

It also helped that, for the most part, the "banter" seemed to be rehearsed and not just read of a teleprompter for what is obviously the very first time.

And, I could be wrong, but it seemed like most of the speeches weren't just spooling off a bunch of names.

ETA: I'll be really REALLY happy if Anthony Carrigan/NoHo Hank is ever up there winning!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I’d prefer Drunk History but I knew SNL had this. 

What I like about DH is that they’re making an effort to be inclusive.  The segments on the Stonewall Riots and the 504 Sit-In had openly trans actors and disabled actors playing the characters.  

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

It also helped that, for the most part, the "banter" seemed to be rehearsed and not just read of a teleprompter for what is obviously the very first time.

And I think it helped a lot that the presenters didn't have to read through a list of names.

I don't know who thought up that change, but it may be a keeper!

• Love 12

Ugh, I have such mixed feelings, but mostly disappointed.

On the drama side, I was rooting for The Americans – HARD. I’m thrilled for the writing award (for one of the best finales of all time) and for Matthew Rhys (IMO, the glue of the show). But I’m pissed that they missed out on the Best Drama award – not just because it’s the show's last opportunity, but because the final season was incredible. There’s no way this past season of Game of Thrones should have won over The Americans, and I say this as a diehard GoT fan who thought the last season was mostly very good.

And on the comedy side, Atlanta got the shaft. Again, I actually enjoy Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (the Best Comedy winner), but it’s not nearly as funny, innovative or memorable as Atlanta. And I feel the same way about most of MMM’s other trophies. That it won Best Directing over Hiro Murai’s “Teddy Perkins” is a travesty.

There are a couple of other people I was rooting for – e.g.,, Issa Rae for Best Comedy Actress, Bryan Tyree Henry for Best Comedy Supporting Actor, Yvonne Strahovsky for Best Drama Supporting Actress – but I always knew those were long shots, and I was generally ok with the winners (especially Thandie Newton – I didn’t make it far into S2 of Westworld, but her performance was always a standout).

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Hey, look Mojoween! There's Will Ferrell being criminally unfunny! UUUUUUgh...

Yeah the bolded is now my go-to reaction whenever he shows up on my screen. Of the many baffling things in the entertainment world, Will Ferrell's success as a comedian ranks right up there for me. I just find him so painfully annoying and he's ALWAYS at these award shows.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I thought that except for the Maya and Fred bits (sad because I like them both) everything went really well.

It was smooth but I did think the first hour of the show got increasingly awkward with all the talk and pats on the back for diversity, only to have white winner after white winner after white winner and, when men and women were in the same category, it went to a white man.  That's not to say the winners were unworthy but rather it was a weird juxtaposition.

Thankfully, they stopped talking about diversity and there were more diverse winners.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, vb68 said:

And I think it helped a lot that the presenters didn't have to read through a list of names.

It really helped keep things moving.  The downside is that I found myself with less time to speculate on who might win.  But I'll take that sacrifice if it makes for a better show.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Yes! That was great. I'm happy for John Oliver but damn, if Colbert won the audience would have gone off the rails.

I love them both, but I would have given it to Colbert, since they have to do so many more episodes than Oliver. Plus, I desperately need the laughs from Colbert each weeknight. He has helped me stay sane for the past two years. :)

• Love 10

I was rooting the hardest for Yvonne Strahovski, so I'm really bummed that she lost. HOWEVER, if she had to lose, I'm thrilled she lost to Thandie Newton! She was truly fabulous, especially so in her submission.

After none of the The Handmaid's Tale ladies won Supporting Actress, I thought Moss would lose, too, so I guess I did call that. I just wish it had been to Keri Russell, who was so deserving.

Matthew Rhys's win, though, made me SO happy! After Rhys won, I anticipated a Friday Night Lights scenario, and that's exactly what happened; I just wish Russell had been swept along for the ride.

I will not understand, ever, the adoration for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I made it two episodes, hated it (well, hated everything except Rachel Brosnahan), and have zero interest in finishing it. What a bunch of crap.

Game of Thrones winning? Meh. Peter Dinklage winning? Quadruple meh.

The proposal was very sweet.

Being able to fast-forward through everything was woooooooonderful.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

I liked that all the awards, except for series (& maybe lead actor/lead actress), in the same genre were presented 1 after the other (which I don’t think they’ve done; at least not in recent history) instead of going randomly around the genres or going by actor vs. actress, writer, director, etc. Like they did all/almost all the Comedy awards, then the Dramas (just an example; not necessarily the correct order), etc.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
  • Love 3

For those who might’ve missed it, here’s Matthew’s acceptance speech, from the point where the Queer Eye guys are introduced & remind everyone of the nominees then announce the winner, all the way through the end of Matthew’s speech. It was posted by the Television Academy (the group who also posts the Emmy Legends interviews online, if you’ve seen those).

And here is what’s supposed to be Matthew’s full backstage press conference after winning. It only runs 3 minutes, 32 seconds; the video was posted by Variety.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some wording. And to fix the source of a linked video.
  • Love 5

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is okay.  I’ve seen all the episodes because husband liked it better than I did, but both of us think The Good Place and Speechless are the best comedies on television.  How those were overlooked is baffling.  Not a Game of Thrones fan so could care less about that one.  

They still need to get rid of the scripted banter between presenters, which is almost always cringeworthy.  Notable exceptions are Hugh Laurie and Helen Mirren and Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and those were so many years ago that they prove the point.

• Love 3

I thought this was a weak awards ceremony -- Jost and Che (who I normally like) were so wan and depressed! But not offensively so -- and the actual ceremony was, for me, too self-congratulatory on diversity (especially with so far still to go), but on the plus side, it moved along fairly quickly.

The win that got me the most was Matthew Rhys, for "The Americans," because he deserved it so damn much. His performance as Philip Jennings across the show, in the sixth season especially, and in the finale ("START") I thought was just astonishing -- subtle, nuanced, moving, terrifying, joyful, and ultimately desolate and so honest it was painful. His speech was funny and lovely (and I always love to hear his beautiful Welsh accent, and love that his voice is higher in real life than when he acts as Philip!), and also, yes watch "The Wine Show." It is just lovely.

And for those on the fence on watching "The Americans" -- PLEASE WATCH THE SHOW. Although (and I say this with all the love in the world) proceed to the forums for the final few seasons with caution (it's pretty brutal).

Anywayyyy... The disappointments for me were the shutout on a superb season of "Atlanta," especially since I just do not like "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel," and Rachel Brosnahan's overacting turned me off so badly I only watched 1.5 episodes and couldn't stay with it (she plays everything like a bad Vaudevillian -- she telegraphs every one of her jokes). Although I am a small minority on that ;) -- and I was happy that Rachel was such a gracious winner (and it made me feel bad for not liking her work). But I will always feel Hiro Murai deserved the directing nod for "Teddy Perkins" ("Atlanta") over Amy Sherman-Palladino for directing the pilot of "Maisel."

And echoing those who love Hannah Gadsby -- I thought she was a rare bright spot tonight, genuinely funny, and want to echo others to noet that her show "Nanette" is just superb and is on Netflix. It's a brilliant piece that becomes more theatre than comedy by the end, but it's so, so moving.

On the winners, losers and snubs for this year -- I wish "Halt and Catch Fire" had been nominated, since its final season was one of the best I've ever seen in my life (and just thinking about the finale makes me tear up)... I wish "Glow" and "Atlanta" had been awarded, and I wish the sublime Michael Stuhlbarg had won for his characteristically superb work in "The Looming Tower" (In a perfect world, he would have won here, and Daniels would have won in his other category). I was also a little bummed Cameron Britton ("Mindhunter") lost in his guest actor in a drama category because I thought he was absolutely incredible as Kemper.

I would have preferred Issa Rae to win lead comedy actress over Rachel Brosnahan, and admit I was rooting for Jesse Plemons over Criss. I was also rooting for Keri Russell over Foy, and Dern over King, but I love King so much I was thrilled for her anyway. I love Peter Dinklage (and have for years, way before "GoT"), but I just didn't think his work this year was superior to most of his fellow nominees (I would have loved for Patinkin to take it). I was also very happy about Thandie's win for "Westworld," even if I thought season 2 was pretty weak. I was delighted with Merritt Wever's win for "Godless."

I wish "The Good Place" had been nominated for more awards, as well as "Twin Peaks," for sheer audaciousness, courage and sheer art. But it wasn't a bad year either.

Edited by paramitch
Edited because I messed up on a category!
  • Love 5

Thank you,  Fred Armisen, for proving yet again that you have pictures of powerful people with dead hookers.  Can't Blue Man Group take him back already??

GoT wins based on the last 2 episodes.

Richie and the Fonz!  That is an awesome picture.

I didn't realize Sarah Paulson has a speech impediment.

I wish Alex Borstein had slipped in a voice or two.  Peetah!

Good for Thandie - she deserves it.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Love 5

The thing was, was that there was a time when the Emmys were only broadcast television. I understand why people began to complain about pay cable, but this is ridiculous. I remember how Sundance had "Transparent" on it's channel, but most of them are not available on cable with an older TV (I got this huge early flatscreen thingie which weighes like a hundred pounds), I can't really get it to do streaming (which is expensive). So when all those shows I couldn't see got nominated, I just turned it off.

• Love 5

I haven't read through all the comments here.  I have to say this was the worst Emmy Awards show ever for me.  I LIKE awards shows.  I had ordered pizza and had my wine ready.  I watch the red carpet arrivals.  Even that part was flat.  I like Jost and Che on SNL, but it wasn't working last night.  I was embarrassed for Maya and Fred.

It might be my last time viewing.  Except for The Crown, I don't watch any of the shows that won. Maybe I am just getting too old, which is kind of sad.  I enjoyed it more when network programs were represented, not just Netflix, Amazon, et al.  Who does the voting, I wonder?

The best part for me was Betty White.  She's 96!  And no standing ovation for her?  I thought that was odd.

Just overall very disappointing.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

The best part for me was Betty White.  She's 96!  And no standing ovation for her?  I thought that was odd.

The entire theatre stood when she entered. At least everyone on camera.

I think there were still some good takeways from a not great show. Having a professional announce the nominees rather than the presenters was great. That kept things moving.

The Oscars director using his moment to propose and be the buzzed about moment of the night pleased me. It's a reminder that the below the line nominations/winners often result in great TV and airing them during the commercials (Oscars) would be a mistake. I would like to think that was intentional on his part.

Using the music of someone in the In Memoriam (when appropriate) was beautiful and allowed for the screen to focus completely on the people being remembered rather than cutting back and forth to some performer.

That's about all the positive I've got. Too much SNL bullshit and I mostly like SNL. Fred and Maya's bits were painful. Having Kenan Thompson give out the biggest award of the night was a choice and I just got sick of seeing SNL talent (current and former) over and over. I know some of those people are famous for other things, but we had Tina Fey, Andy Samberg, Will Ferrell, Kenan Thompson, Alec Baldwin (who counts considering what he was nominated for this year) Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, Tracy Morgan plus the hosts and the Fred and Maya "comedy" bits.  NBC has other shows, right? Why not promote them?

Also bad, James Corden wasn't wrong with that EmmysSoWhite joke. Watching people pat themselves on the back for diversity only to see white people win over and over again was tone deaf. Nothing has been solved. White people beat people of color over and over and while some of those were deserved, there is no way Atlanta should walk away with nothing after creating Teddy Perkins. That's fucking crazy!

And finally, it's just hard to get excited because TV is so segmented nowadays. Most people can't keep up. There is so much and there are so many channels and platforms. I don't think there is a clear solution to that, but it makes for a lackluster show.

• Love 12

Kerri Russel got robbed.  That is all.  

Although congrats to Mathew And the two Joes who do deserve it.  Still......robbed!!!!!?

~~~edited to add:

1.  Might as well accept it Game Of Throwns is going to win Best Drama for as long as it’s on regardless of how good any other show is.    Not that GoT Is bad or anything.  From what I heard it’s a great show but not every year.... but it is that Emmy baity.  

2.  I am glad Godless and USS Callister won.  Also Ryan Murphy is my guy.  

3.  Betty White doesn’t age.  However she did seem a little lost when she spoke.

4.  Congrats guy who proposed to his GF.  Don’t know who you are but congrats.

Edited by Chaos Theory
Weird editing errors.
  • Love 5

I haven't watched the Emmy's in a tit's age, glad I did last night.....

The two highlights for me were Henry Winkler's first Emmy win and his very sweet acceptance speech....truly a class act and still hot looking.

And of course Glenn Weiss proposing to his now fiancee....I had it on mute due to speaking with Mr. Vixenstud on the phone and now, watching it at work?  I cried like a muhfuckin' baby, that was so romantic!

Pissed that Tracee Ellis Ross or Issa Rae didn't win; same thing for Anthony Anderson.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

So everyone that that is way quicker than I am, who was left out of the In Memoriam?

John Hillerman, who won an Emmy for Magnum, P.I. back in the day.

2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Thank you,  Fred Armisen, for proving yet again that you have pictures of powerful people with dead hookers. 

That would explain so, so much.

• Love 1

Boring.  And, just a note to the audiences of awards shows - the standing ovations are waaaay overdone.  Matter of fact, lets do away with the standing O.

11 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Will Farrell was beyond pathetic. Why are these presenters dragging out their bits longer than the winners are given to say "Thanks."?

How about RuPaul & Leslie Jones?  Painfully unfunny!!!

Edited by SrOfficial
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Sugar said:

I don't think Dinklage had very good material this season, and that's the only reason I'm disappointed with his win. I was also rooting for Nikolaj, who has really become a powerhouse on that show. And that's not easy when you're always going toe to toe with Lena Heady.

Agree I would have rather Nikolaj won. 

Still glad Game of Thrones won best show though.

This was a good Awards show and minus Maya and Fred who dragged things down is was well paced. A lot of  the  shows I watch one at least one award.

I like that they had an announcer record (or say live?) the nominees but why did they start with that, then bring out the presenters?  It was odd.  The timing would've been the same if they'd brought out the presenters first, then had an announcer say the nominees.

Nobody is more amused by SNL talent than other SNL talent.  Fred Armisen is good in Documentary Now, but otherwise he's so willfully odd that it's uncomfortable, and he's dragging Maya Rudolph down with him.  But yay, John Mulaney!

I still think it's weird that there was no nomination for Fallon or Seth Meyers.  Seth, especially.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

The thing was, was that there was a time when the Emmys were only broadcast television. I understand why people began to complain about pay cable, but this is ridiculous. I remember how Sundance had "Transparent" on it's channel, but most of them are not available on cable with an older TV (I got this huge early flatscreen thingie which weighes like a hundred pounds), I can't really get it to do streaming (which is expensive). So when all those shows I couldn't see got nominated, I just turned it off.

Early numbers are indicating that this will be the lowest rated telecast ever.  Very likely for your exact reason and mine. 

We are no longer in the era of "The Big Three/Four" networks and HBO didn't matter into the equation.  Now the networks have to deal with Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu, FX, VH1 (for RuPaul), etc. Most of the shows that won I have HEARD of in some capacity.  But depending who owns the licensing for said show in Canada, I have to either seek them out on a secondary channel (Hulu is not available in Canada, so the Handmaid's Tale was broadcast one a Canadian cable outlet), or pay for the service which is out of my budget  (I do use my sister's friend's Netflix account so Che isn't kidding about that.)   It's the era of Peak TV.  And it's becoming a lot harder to catch up on the buzzy shows while staying committed to long time favourites.   The ratings will continue to slide as the trend to online services continue to expand.  

Pissed that Tracee Ellis Ross or Issa Rae didn't win; same thing for Anthony Anderson.

I think she's amazing, but the "we may divorce" story line last season really dragged the show down. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

The two highlights for me were Henry Winkler's first Emmy win and his very sweet acceptance speech....truly a class act and still hot looking.

I have to watch Barry now. 

I love Henry Winkler. I was so thrilled he won. And I loved that he got a standing ovation. This was a lifetime achievement award. 

Well deserved. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, sweetcookieface said:

Again, I actually enjoy Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (the Best Comedy winner), but it’s not nearly as funny, innovative or memorable as Atlanta.

I haven't been able to catch Atlanta yet, so I would substitute Brooklyn Nine-Nine and be in full agreement with your sentence.  :-)

11 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I just wish it had been to Keri Russell, who was so deserving.

Matthew Rhys's win, though, made me SO happy! After Rhys won, I anticipated a Friday Night Lights scenario, and that's exactly what happened; I just wish Russell had been swept along for the ride.

I will not understand, ever, the adoration for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I made it two episodes, hated it (well, hated everything except Rachel Brosnahan), and have zero interest in finishing it. What a bunch of crap.

Russell was great, but it's hard for me to begrudge Claire Foy the win.  She was also marvelous.  Totally agree about Matthew though -- whee!!  And while I also don't understand the adoration for TMMM, I did make it through the whole series (a whopping 8 episodes!) and thought it had a few redeeming aspects. 

2 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I haven't read through all the comments here.  I have to say this was the worst Emmy Awards show ever for me.  I LIKE awards shows.  I had ordered pizza and had my wine ready.  I watch the red carpet arrivals.  Even that part was flat.  I like Jost and Che on SNL, but it wasn't working last night.  I was embarrassed for Maya and Fred.

It might be my last time viewing.  

I didn't even watch last night.  I tuned in just in time to see Amy Sherman-Palladino tromping up to the stage in her ridiculous get-up and promptly turned the channel. 

• Love 3

If you don't watch SNL - and I don't - you apparently didn't recognize many of the presenters or the two hosts, who I thought were terrible. I like Maya Rudolph (from her appearance on The Good Place) but I was embarrassed for her. Having someone from SNL present the final award of the evening seemed so out of place. That would have been a good spot for Tina Fey, if they wanted to stay with the SNL motif. I thought the two hosts were the worst I can ever recall. 

Very pleased with having the announcer announce the names of the nominees - smart move. Loved Betty White, Matthew Rhys, The Americans writers, Mrs. Maisel (huge Gilmore Girls fan so I can tell myself that this is really ASP getting recognized for GG), and Aretha. 

• Love 4

I have to say this was the worst Emmy Awards show ever for me.  I LIKE awards shows. 

Same here! I'm the kind of person who tapes the red carpet and watches every minute, and I thought this was not just the worst Emmys but maybe the worst major awards show I've ever seen. I ended up fast forwarding when bit after bit bombed. It was painful. Was every performer and presenter drunk?

• Love 6

I get the That there are a lot of people who want to see the big 4 network shows be nominated for Emmys but as someone who watches a few of them there are maybe a handful that I think deserve it.  That is ultimately the problem.  They are a lower caliber when I think there are Cable shows like The Americans that was on FX that got snubbed for years because the handmaids tale  and Game of Thrones has to get in their two people each.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SHD said:

I like that they had an announcer record (or say live?) the nominees but why did they start with that, then bring out the presenters?  It was odd.  The timing would've been the same if they'd brought out the presenters first, then had an announcer say the nominees.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this. I found it odd too, and it just added to how poorly produced I felt this year's telecast was. Bringing out the presenters to banter after the nominees were shown both threw off some of the comedic timing of the presenters and stalled any suspense or momentum of announcing the winner. Plus it didn't help that not all of the presenters re-stated which category the Emmy was for before announcing a name, or that when nominees were being shown they sometimes read the names and other times they didn't. It just added to the awkwardness and made the award-giving feel rushed and somewhat impersonal. At least to me. Others I talked to had no problems with it.

I will give one positive compliment though - the In Memoriam was a vast improvement over last year (not sure if anyone remembers, but last year they put everyone's picture in these cheesy portrait video effects. Photos were tiny and some flashed for barely 2 seconds). Nice big pictures, a slower pace, and no cutaways to the stage this year - I liked the simpler production and it set the right tone for the segment.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Macbeth said:

I love Henry Winkler. I was so thrilled he won. And I loved that he got a standing ovation. This was a lifetime achievement award. 

Well deserved. 

Of course, he got a standing O.  He’s breathing.  I do like Henry, though.

• Love 1

I'm just really glad no one had a super long acceptance speech. Minus maybe the Oscars guy, but heck, even my cold heart thought that was a proposal that can't be topped. 

Overall, I didn't mind the show, except for Will Farrell (please, just go away Will) and the Maya/Fred bits (which reminded me of what Fred and Seth Meyers do on his show sometimes which is also my least favorite part of Seth's show). I've never been a fan of Fred, except I found him tolerable whenever he was on 'The Californians' on SNL. 

I thought Hannah Gadsby was the funniest of the night and I haven't watched her Netflix special, so that I will actually make time for. 

I'm happiest for John Mulaney. I think besides the fact that he's responsible for Stefon, I just think he's adorable, self-aware, self-deprecating, and a comedian my age whose jokes I can better relate to/with.

I can’t listen to any new songs. Because every new song is about how tonight is the night and we only have tonight. That is such 19-year-old horseshit. I want to write songs for people in their 30s called “Tonight’s No Good. How About Wednesday? Oh, You’re in Dallas Wednesday? Let’s Not See Each Other for Eight Months and It Doesn’t Matter at All.”

I think my best dressed award goes to Thandie Newton. I might have preferred that dress in another color myself, but she worked it effortlessly, and the hair and earrings were perfection. Worst dressed goes to Tracee Ellis Ross. Just, no.

• Love 2

Is it only the Oscars where they announce if it is the winner's first win/nomination, or if she/he has had multiples? I thought the Emmys did this, and if they don't they should. Also when the winner was announced often they didn't say once again which show it was for, so unless I knew the show I had no clue. They showed a picture in the background but if the show name was on it as well, it was not visible. 

I didn't mind the format of the nominees being named before the presenters, but since the format didn't do away with the insipid banter, it wasn't as big of an improvement as it could have been. 

So wonderful to see the extended standing O for Betty White. It is hard to believe that Hot in Cleveland only went off the air 3 years ago as Betty seems to have gone downhill quite a bit. Understandable at 96, but still a bit jarring. When she passes I will feel as I did when Mary Tyler Moore passed - one of a kind and irreplaceable. 

• Love 4