Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Why do they have to keep repeating how bad the world is?  Can't they just win awards and thank people without all the politics.  I'm so sick of the Trump digs.  Regardless if you like him or not.  It's over the top.  Just now with Donald Glover and Julie Louis Dreyfus....I mean come on.  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Love Donald Glover's tux but what on earth is Debra Messing wearing??

Vinyl?

Oddly, the worst thing is that the color and appearance is making her hair look weird.  Like she dyed it with Kool-aid.

• Love 1

. Maybe there's some new infusion to the Emmy voters pool, because I didn't think the old set was near woke enough to give the show two big wins. 

I think I saw a few articles about that last year about a lot of new younger voters getting in, which is how Rami Malek and Tatiana Masley won.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Did I mention earlier that I really like Donald Glover's suit/tux?  Because I do.

Seriously, he's looking awfully handsome. 

As a "Community" fan I'm so proud of Glover :). Glad he's getting some recognition tonight. 

• Love 10
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Man, I'm surprised Chris Hardwick actually has time to present.  He doesn't have another podcast or Talking (Insert AMC Show) thing to do?

Of course its Julia Louise-Dreyfus.  She's probably going to sweep this award until the show ends.

I'd have so much more of a problem with JLD winning if it was the same performance from her year after year. But Veep reinvents itself almost every single year from about Season 3 or so on. So, as a watcher of the show, I feel like JLD is being rewarded for new material because it's definitely not the same stuff rehashed constantly. That said, I was pulling for Tracee or Ellie to win it.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Years later I still chuckle at Colbert losing to Hugh Jackman "I LOST TO WOLVERINE!"

If he doesn't do a bit where he shakes his fist and shouts, "OLIVEEEEEEER!" this week on his show, I will be disappointed :p. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Mystery said:

Right after the In Memoriam section, which ended with MTM, there was an Audi commercial saying "Thank You, Mary."

Thanks, will watch on the repeat (West Coast gets the show twice!).

2 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I like Julia Louis Dreyfus a lot but I wish she had not won.  I liked it when Candice Bergen  took her name out because she won a few times already.

Yeah, I like Julia, but it is getting pretty old. It seems unfair that she have to take her name out, I just wish the voters would recognize someone else. I was really hoping for Ellie Kemper.

• Love 6
Just now, ThisOne said:

Also, a version of the theme music was playing.

I thought I heard the theme music, but then thought it was just me being sentimental.  And now saw that same commercial with the "Cheers" theme.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jjj said:

"We have a 'no jerk-offs' policy on our show"  Is that really what he meant to say?  (VEEP producer)

Probably because he couldn't say "No Assholes Rule" on network TV.

1 minute ago, jjj said:

I thought I heard the theme music, but then thought it was just me being sentimental.  And now saw that same commercial with the "Cheers" theme.

They've been playing that with different TV theme music all night.

• Love 2

Thank you Smirnoff for reminding me of the snub that bothered me the most in the Emmy's - Ted Danson not being nominated for  The Good Place.

Michael was one of the best characters on TV last year and his turn in the last episode was a thing of beauty and a masterclass in acting. What did that plant do to you Michael?

Now for Veep - I tried and tried to watch the show and just could not get behind it or JLDs character. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, I like Julia, but it is getting pretty old. It seems unfair that she have to take her name out, I just wish the voters would recognize someone else. I was really hoping for Ellie Kemper.

True but it seems to me that is not always how it works.

7 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I like Julia Louis Dreyfus a lot but I wish she had not won.  I liked it when Candice Bergen  took her name out because she won a few times already.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. Candice did this when her show was on CBS in the 80s and 90s when channels and competition for viewers were far, far less. The number of channels and outlets right now is utterly astounding, so competition for viewers is fierce. If this was JLD winning for Seinfeld every year, I think that would be a fair comparison. Today on a premium channel show, this serves as promotion for the show to encourage people to check it out, because many still haven't.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, bmoore4026 said:

Anyone else wish that Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt won?

Foop yes.  That said, I thought black-ish had one of the best episodes of the year with Lemons, so very surprised it was looked over.

That moment when you realize Joseph Fiennes' brother is freaking VOLDEMONT and yet, he was more terrifying in the Handmaid's Tale. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hey, it's Jessica Biel and the Shakespeare in Love guy/Not Ralph Fiennes!

Riz Ahmed!  Nice and a bit surprising!

That's "The Handmaid's Tale guy" to many of us!

• Love 2