Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

I just looked through a 67 page PDF of nominations and the word outstanding has lost all meaning.

I had no idea there were so many categories!  All these years and I thought what we saw on the show, and some technical awards, were all there were.

And I would be sad if I were Mandy Moore and the guy who plays Kevin because practically everyone else, even people who were on for a limited time, were nominated (I mean, who's Ricky?). Oh Beth was snubbed too which is not cool.

• Love 2

The nominations were not bad, but there are two glaring omissions, in my opinion: Freddie Highmore and The Good Place. I like This Is Us and I think Milo and especially Sterling are great, but Milo's performance does not even come close to what Freddie did during Bates Motel's last season. I would have swapped either Milo or Kevin Spacey out and replaced them with Freddie. As for The Good Place, wow. Really thought that would have gotten at least a nomination for Kristen Bell, but that category is so stacked.

Should be interesting to see the Big Little Lies vs. Feud battle royale especially in the actress category. I didn't watch Feud, so I'm going to be biased when I say that Nicole should win over anyone else. I'm still haunted by her performance as Celeste on BLL. It was probably the best performance by an actress this past TV season.

I'm thrilled that Barb from Stranger Things got a nomination! That is so cool. Also thrilled that Black Mirror got a nomination for the San Junipero episode even though I would have preferred Hated In The Nation instead. 

Modern Family needs to not be a thing anymore. Same with House of Cards. I watch the latter and the earlier seasons were excellent, but the quality has declined every season since then.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, unicorn23 said:

The nominations were not bad, but there are two glaring omissions, in my opinion: Freddie Highmore and The Good Place. I like This Is Us and I think Milo and especially Sterling are great, but Milo's performance does not even come close to what Freddie did during Bates Motel's last season. I would have swapped either Milo or Kevin Spacey out and replaced them with Freddie.

Anyone who posts in the Bates Motel threads know of my love for Freddie and the work he did for five seasons on that show. But frankly, I made my peace a long time ago with the fact that voters were just never going to see what the fans did and give the show and actors their due. Yeah I did hope that with the final season, there would at least be one final great big push but oh well. Frankly I'm more stunned by Rami Malek's snub and the complete blackout for Mr. Robot.

I can't remember the last time a show fell out of love with voters so quickly. I know the second season got mixed reviews but Rami continued to be stellar and I think it's bull that he wasn't nominated. These are the voters that kept nominating Downton Abbey season after season when most of the viewers and critics had moved on and yet they completely snub Mr. Robot, which confusing or convoluted, I still think is better than a number of other shows they're all jumping up for. 

• Love 2

Mary Elizabeth Winstead missing for Fargo is bullshit.  She was the best part of this season, so OF COURSE she was the ONE cast member to miss!  Did they really need to nominate everyone in that Feud crap?  So angry.

• Love 3

I'm mad about The Good Place, which I loved, and Fargo, which I didn't love as much as last season, when they lost their major categories. Mary Elizabeth Winstead really was a standout, I think Academy members just saw that Carrie C*** and Ewan McGregor were going to be in it, and immediately just said, "oh yeah, sure, Emmys." I thought both were just okay in their roles.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Why on earth is Elisabeth Moss in the Drama series category rather than limited series?  Is another episode of The Handmaid's Tale in the works?

The Handmaid's Tale was renewed for a second season, which is why all their nominations were for series categories rather than limited series.

5 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

The Handmaid's Tale was renewed for a second season, which is why all their nominations were for series categories rather than limited series.

Thanks, I had no idea!  I'm still waiting for a good 30-day window to start my free Hulu trial so that I can watch S1.

(edited)

Is Great British Bake-Off ineligible for Best Reality Competition?  I know it's a British show (obvs), but so is Sherlock.  And so was Prime Suspect, and I think Helen Mirren won three Emmys for it.

Although Shannon Purser's surprise nomination is truly great.  #EmmyForBarb

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

Mike McKean is a massive snub. He is incredible as Chuck. 

Alexis Bledel's nomination is a pleasant surprise - her performance solidified for me that it's mostly Rory I dislike in GG rather than her acting.

They need to stop nominating House of Cards (Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are basically robots now) and Uzo Aduba.

• Love 3

I am thrilled Michelle Pfeiffer was nominated.  She was so good in "The Wizard of Lies."  The movie and DeNiro got nominated as well.

Not happy at all about McKean.  He was so awesome as Chuck.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, LCanterbury said:

Alexis Bledel's nomination is a pleasant surprise - her performance solidified for me that it's mostly Rory I dislike in GG rather than her acting.

That was a nice surprise for me too, I haven't seen the series yet, but heard good things about her performance... and that surprised me too at the time.

Barb from Stranger Things was the real jaw dropper for me. She must be flipping out being in that category with those actresses. Hell, I'd be excited just to even attend the Emmy's if I was her.

I was hoping but probably not expecting to see Lauren Graham or Kelly Bishop's name on the list for Gilmore Girls. Talk about snubs, they've never been nominated, not a sniff.... and that's really a crime. but they are not the first who do great work and never been nominated

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

screw the judges or whatsoever, they have no talent in judging and also follow the masses (Snow John  deserved a nomination for just being emo but nothing is worse compared to Barbs! seriously Barbs? jsut because she was popular? 

Bates Motel was totally robbed. Freddie and Vera were totally robbed. totally

a disgrace.

Lori Petty delivered such a solid performance as a mentally ill patient but was not nominated. Uzo is good but it is the same every year so others deserved a chance even though their characters are not as popular as her. 

F**K the emmys. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Add me to the list of people who are very much ticked at the omission of "Bates Motel" and Farmiga and Highmore in particular. I knew it was a long shot, but still, I held out a sliver of hope anyway.

At least Farmiga has been nominated before, though, so that's something. The fact Highmore never got recognized for his work on the show, however...that's just ridiculous. 

On a happier note, I'm pleased to see John Oliver and Stephen Colbert's shows both getting nominated. And I approve of Felicity Huffman, Viola Davis, and Cicely Tyson being on the list, too. I'm not surprised to see Huffman and Davis in particular getting nominated, mind, but still, yay :). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

I choked up to see Carrie Fisher was nominated in the best guest slot.  I never saw her, but I am sure she rocked it. 

I know she is up in heaven looking down and saying - "Really, I had to die in order to get nominated? Where are my smokes?" I am sure she is saying something much wittier - but I lack her immense talent.  Like a great artist - her value is only appreciated after her death.

Meanwhile Melissa McCarthy who had that award locked for her impersonation of Sean Spicer on SNL saw Carrie's name and muttered "Damn it."

• Love 1

Absolutely thrilled about:

All the love or the B.A.N. episode of Atlanta (Directing nom and writing nom for Donald Glover). 

All the love for the Thanksgiving episode of Master of None (writing for Lena Waithe/Aziz Ansari, guest actress nom for Angela Bassett)

"We Tapped That Ass" - from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Ron Cephas Jones and Denis O'Hare getting recognized for This is Us.  I figured Sterling Brown would be, but was glad these two did as well. Also Bryan Tyree Henry for his guest stint on the show.  If he couldn't be recognized as PaperBoi for Atlanta (which,imo,  he was the breakout star for me) then he got recignized for his truly stellar turn in TIU.

The San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

Snoop Dogg & Martha Stewart.

All the RuPaul's Drag Race love

Brown Girls' nomination as short form comedy.  They are making the jump to HBO the way Insecure did from Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl.  Can't wait.

The 13th & Ava Duvernay.  So well done. It also got editing & cinematography noms.

Not thrilled by:

William H Macy in Shameless.  Why does he keep getting nominated?

"Remember That We Suffered" - Crazy Ex Girlfirend not also nominated.  Honestly as much as I love Titus Lemonading (he is the sole reason I even watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), I would have left that one off the original music ballot and given CEG another nod. Felt more original and Titus' Lemonade songs skewed too close to their source material to feel very original for me.

Ellie Kemper as best actress is comedy.   I find her one note.  I would have gone with Rachel Bloom or Issa Rae.

Andre Braugher not being nominated for Brooklyn 99.  I'd replace Alec Baldwin

Barb from Stranger Things?  Really?

Millie Bobbie Brown will be appearing in Swan Lake later.

I have no idea who Tessa Thompson is, but I'm not a fan of her metallic rainbow look.

ETA: UGH -- sequins and feathers on Tracie Ellis Ross.

Edited by Browncoat
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Millie Bobbie Brown will be appearing in Swan Lake later.

I have no idea who Tessa Thompson is, but I'm not a fan of her metallic rainbow look.

Since she's a child I think it works for her. Anyone else and it would be terrible. The rainbow thing is atrocious. No idea who that is.

• Love 1

Why why why in all the years Guiliana has been on tv why has no one told her she NEEDS TO CHANGE HER HAIRSTYLE!!!!!. She is the poster child for someone needing bangs! Especially with her hair like it is tonight she looks like ET!. She has a weird shaped head and a five head and with that color it makes it even worse. God...do her stylists hate her and are snickering behind her back or what? Am I the only ones who sees this??? I hate her dress too.

ETA....I am late to the party (Broncos are on) but where is Seacrest?

Edited by Cupcake04
ETA
  • Love 2

The woman in yellow who is the prostitute on Westworld is gorgeous! Those eyes are crazy light blue, I can almost see through them.

Everytime I see her I think "not much of a rind on you".

Edited by Arynm
spelling is hard!
  • Love 2