Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Just now, mojoween said:

So happy for GoT.  It amuses me how it's the best show but none of the actors are the best this year.

As much as I hate-watch the show only now, the actors are amazing. Not every actor every scene every episode, but most of them most of the time. They are the one bright spot for haters like me.  With Downton Abbey gone, better chance for the ladies next year. Plus they work so well as ensemble. It's really hard to pick out who's the best.

2 minutes ago, Bunky1412 said:

Is anyone going to be doing any binge-watching as a result of tonight's show?  I just binge-watched "The Good Wife" and now I'm thinking I might have to do the same with "VEEP." 

And you lived to tell about it? 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Awww ... was she in Sound of Music?  I think she had a sister, Darlene, who was in Ally McBeal as an opposing lawyer.

I don't know if anyone ever answered this one for you--but yes, she was Liesl in "The Sound of Music."

7 minutes ago, Bunky1412 said:

Is anyone going to be doing any binge-watching as a result of tonight's show?  I just binge-watched "The Good Wife" and now I'm thinking I might have to do the same with "VEEP." 

Yep.  Bloodline for a start.

• Love 1

Ha, I just came off a Good Wife binge too. I had to cut myself off after Kalinda left though. Cary and Kalinda were basically the reason for watching after Will died in Season 5 and Cary alone wasn't enough for the last season

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Bunky1412 said:

LOL!  I'm not sure what you mean.  I haven't seen the final season yet, but I spoiled myself so I know, in general, what happens. 

Just that, IMO, the first few season were quite good.  And then the show fell off a cliff.  I stuck it out, but it was painful.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Well I wanted The Americans to win but glad that Game of Thrones won over Downton Abbey.

Oh, l don't let my Dad hear you! LOL! He's a Downton Abby freak! He's always been a history buff, so he's been interested in it since day 1, but he adores each season! So much so now I regret buying him the final season on DVD for his birthday!

15 minutes ago, Arynm said:

Not a terrible waste of time all in all. I request a new host and for the voters to try new things like they did this year.

Well, next year it'll be on another channel, so it definitely will have a new host.  Whose turn is it now? NBC? (prays) Oh, please have anyone but Seth Meyers if that's true!

• Love 1

Not happy the Americans lost best actor and actress but not sad that Mr Robot and Orphan Black won so i will call that one a wash.

As much as I enjoyed Fargo and American Crime; The People vs OJ was a superior show and it deserved all the awards especially for Sarah Paulson.  Plus I loved that she actually brought Marcia Clark as her plus one and I loved her speech.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

Is Game of Thrones only popular and award worthy for the gratuitous sex?  I'm not a prude but the few times I tried to watch, that's all there seem to be.  I'm fine with it if it's part of the plot but this just seemed to be in there for shock and ratings.   

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

Is Game of Thrones only popular and award worthy for the gratuitous sex?  I'm not a prude but the few times I tried to watch, that's all there seem to be.  I'm fine with it if it's part of the plot but this just seemed to be in there for shock and ratings.   

No its popular because of the wide reaching story and political intrigue. The nudity and sex scenes are just a small part of it and dissipate over time. Keep watching.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, maraleia said:

The nudity and sex scenes are just a small part of it and dissipate over time.

Yeah, the nudity and sex have been toned down from the first few seasons but since that's what partially put it on the map, the misconception continues. Were there even any sex scenes this season, besides the fully-clothed twincest makeout scene?

I love that the lead acting in a drama series winners were two younger actors who star in bizarre, cult sci-fi shows that I would have never dreamed the Emmys would take seriously. That's pretty awesome. And they are both SO deserving too, but they just aren't the kind of shows that normally get recognized. I love that. 

And for anyone who watches those shows, can't you imagine some kind of crazy crossover where Elliot meets all of Tatiana's clones or something? Lol, I totally could.

• Love 11

An interesting year for celebrating cult/genre shows.  The first time a woman leading a Sci-Fi series has won since Patricia Arquette (and Medium sucked--before that you have to go all the way back to Gillian Anderson in The X-Files).  And in another cult series, an actual brown person wins. Will wonders not cease. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Bunky1412 said:

I just binge watched Veep a few weeks ago and loved it. Very deserving of the win.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Neeners said:

I guess I'm the only one who hasn't seen The People vs. OJ Simpson Crime Story. 

No, you aren't.  I didn't watch it because I lived through it and did not need to live through it again as a tv show.  I understand, via critics that I respect,  that the actors and the show were fantastic, so I have absolutely no problem with them winning.  It simply was, and will remain, something I will never watch.

• Love 5

No offense but it always make me chuckle a little when people say they won't watch shows/movies about certain events because they've "lived through it" as several posters have mentioned about The People vs OJ. It was only 20 years ago, so I'm thinking most of us remember when it actually happened and I'm not sure what you lived through that the rest of us haven't unless you were on the jury or directly involved. Alot of shows are based on true and recent events *shrug*. Watch or don't watch whatever you want, that excuse just strikes me as odd. My mom always gives it as the reason she won't watch anything about the civil rights movement, even though she was a kid...in California, and not exactly sitting in the back of a bus lol.

• Love 4

Let's just go with the mindset that everybody's experiences within the context of an event may be unique and respect it, even if some may not get it. I don't believe anyone is willfully trying to be dismissive here, but I am placing this here just as a gentle and friendly reminder, especially as tone on the 'net can easily be misconstrued.

Thanks and carry on!

• Love 2

I quite literally started screaming when Tatiana Maslany won.  Since Kiefer butchered her name so badly, I had to watch it three times to make sure I didn't just hallucinate her winning a goddamn Emmy!!!!  I was rooting for the equally deserving Keri Russell who (I thought) was more likely to win, but this is just the best Emmy win since Kyle Chandler (Kit and the rest of you, the line forms behind me!) won for FNL.  My reaction – it was like I had won the damn thing!!

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

I think there should be a rule against winning more than two consecutive times. Because, seriously, it would be nice for another actress to win best lead actress in a comedy for once.

While I agree that sometimes awards are given purely out of inertia on the part of the voters (I'm looking at you "Modern Family"), I'd hate for a situation where someone/thing has an amazing year that's clearly superior to the rest of the field, but winds up disqualified simply because they've already won.

Maybe some kind of weighted system, where each consecutive year you win, you need more votes to be considered the winner; it would help offset inertia voting, but still allow for clearly superior work to rise above the rest.

• Love 8

My God was this boring!!! It was almost as bad as the Oscar telecast, but maybe that's only because it was about an hour shorter than the Oscars!

Will someone PLEASE tell David Benioff that when he wins an award and he wants to thank his wife (why they even do that I don't know) that he doesn't have to refer to her as "Amanda Peet". Most people just say "my wife" or in his case, "Amanda" will suffice. It's like he wants to remind everybody that his wife is AMANDA PEET....YOU KNOW....THE ACTRESS. 

I've seen him do this before and I found it so ridiculous! Is it some sort of bragging thing? 

I mean...not to slag her off or anything but she's not Meryl Streep, and even if she was, it would still seem silly. 

Oh yeah....really happy that Game of Thrones won but I was so disappointed that nobody won in the acting category. I was left shaking my head as to how they vote for these people. When bloody BEN MENDELSOHN!!!!! wins over Jonathan Banks, Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington, I seriously question these voters sanity. And sobriety. Ben fucking Mendelsohn?!!! SERIOUSLY?!!! I saw that show and I thought he was the worst thing about it.

And no win for any of GOT's incredible female nominees either!!!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

My God was this boring!!! It was almost as bad as the Oscar telecast, but maybe that's only because it was about an hour shorter than the Oscars!

Will someone PLEASE tell David Benioff that when he wins an award and he wants to thank his wife (why they even do that I don't know) that he doesn't have to refer to her as "Amanda Peet". Most people just say "my wife" or in his case, "Amanda" will suffice. It's like he wants to remind everybody that his wife is AMANDA PEET....YOU KNOW....THE ACTRESS. 

Hmmm. I was entertained. But then again, I didn't watch the telecast straight through. I flipped back and forth between the Emmys and the NFL game. And because I was DVR-ing the Emmys, I could fast-forward through the acceptance speeches. 

And then again, I like Jimmy Kimmel's humor, so his jokes cracked me up: such as telling 'Taraji P Henson' she could drop the 'P,' the Matt Damon cameo, and even his joke about the 'In Memorium' segment kicking ass. 

I didn't know David Benoiff was married to Amanda Peet, so I saw it as giving a shout out to his wife who also happens to be in the entertainment industry. Courtney B. Vance did the same thing when he called out to his wife Angela Bassett, and I thought it was a considerate thing to do. 

• Love 6

I was/am SO happy for Rami and Tatiana, but I forgot all about them the second Dennis Franz & Jimmy Smits were introduced.  Andy and Bobby, together again!  My NYPD Blue-loving heart was so full, it was such an awesome surprise to see them reunited.

I don't watch The Affair, but I was rooting for Maura Tierney just based on the times she was snubbed for ER and especially for her guest role on Rescue Me a few years ago.  She had just finished chemo in real life, played a cancer patient on the show and did such raw, painful, incredible work - and yet didn't even get a nom for guest actress.  Who did?  Fucking Uma Thurman.  For fucking Smash!

• Love 3

On a random note.  Do you notice when clips of the nominees are shown (at any awards shows) it is usually a scene where they are yelling.  Just and observation.

I still can't get passed that anything is real any more.  Yes some actors who win are deserving but is it always about the acting or because of a statement (trans, race, gay, anti religion, anti America etc....)  

• Love 1

As a longtime Christian Slater fangirl, Mr. Robot has been on my "want to watch" list for a while. Now I've GOT to start watching.  Unreal is also on my radar.

I just binge watched Veep a few weeks ago and loved it. Very deserving of the win.

Ok, I admit I've only discovered Veep in the last few months since getting HBO Now. So perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon phase. But I'm well into season 3 now and wow, it's SO good. And JLD really kills it. It's not an LOL show for me (with a few notable exceptions!) but it's just so.... compelling.  And binge-worthy.

I feel the same about Lauri Melcalf and her role in Getting On.

11 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I think that ship has sailed. 

Gawd we can only hope.  Don't get me wrong. I think the show was absolutely brilliant for the first 3 seasons.  Maybe even 4.  But now it's not even the 3rd step-cousin of anything good.  Although, admittedly, some of the better actors (like Ty Burrell) still do the best they can with what they've got.  But the show overall does NOT deserve Best Comedy.  Hell I think shows like The Goldbergs, The Middle, and most DEFINITELY Brooklyn 99 are light years funnier than MF is today.  Speaking of B99- Andre B was robbed! ;)  

11 hours ago, jjj said:

Oh, well, at least "The Americans" got some nominations.  It is a wonderful series. 

I know.  Well getting some nominations for Mathew, Keri and the show overall is a good first step (it's only taken ...what?... 5 years?).  Hopefully next year they will be awarded for their brilliance. 

Although I was rooting for The Americans or Better Call Saul for Best Drama, I'm not unhappy for GoT.  That show and its actors are insanely good.

I actually love ALL of the actors/performances from the Supporting Actor in a Drama category (oops except J. Voigt only because I've never seen Ray Donavan). But yay Ben Mendelsohn!   Kyle Chandler is great on Bloodline, but Ben is still the standout performer.  He had me enraptured in every scene.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

They played off Tom Haverford?!  Noooooooooo!

Glad for Aziz and other writer though.  That episode of Master of None was fantastic.

Holy shit!  Kate McKinnon is the one to finally defeat Allison Janney!

Allison's lost before, as far back as when she was nominated for The West Wing--she lost to Mariska Hargitay at least once back then. And she lost last weekend in a Guest Actress category for a part she has in Masters of Sex. But I'm pretty sure this is the first time she's lost for her role in Mom.

14 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Erm...were Tina Fey and Amy Poehler nominated (and won) together?  How is that allowed?

Yes they were, because they hosted the show together. They also do it with (mostly talk) shows in the Daytime Emmys which have multiple hosts, like: Live with Kelly & Michael (when he was her co-host); The View; The Talk & The Chew. Perfectly acceptable, & probably more fair than singling out 1 host's work over another's/the others' (especially if there might be an issue of behind the scenes rivalry between/among the show's hosts).

Edited by BW Manilowe
Forgot the other half of a parentheses.

I have an irrational hatred of GoT and I have no idea why. It has everything in a show I should like but for some reason after season 1 I just couldn't with it.   Every time it wins an award it pisses me off to no end especially since it cost shows I do like like The Americans much due love.   

• Love 5

Yes some actors who win are deserving but is it always about the acting or because of a statement (trans, race, gay, anti religion, anti America etc....)  

Oh, please.  Elizabeth Taylor won her Oscar for Butterfield 8 because she nearly died after getting near-fatal pneumonia.  Julie Andrews won for Mary Poppins because the studio gave her role in My Fair Lady to Audrey Hepburn ... There has been speculation about motivations for winning ever since the first Oscars.

And who's won for being anti-religion or anti-America?  Trump's never won, has he?  

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 5

I'm late on this, but...

SNL hasn't been watchable for at least 10 years, IMO. 

as a resident SNL Freak, I disagree here so much.  Kate McKinnon winning is clear evidence to counter that stance.  Is it flawed?  Sure, but it always has been.  It's almost always better than the mountain of criticism it generates.  It has a deep bench of women performers right now from Kate to Aidy Bryant and Cecily Strong to a new legitimate star in Leslie Jones.  Just saying there's still plenty to like and enjoy about the show.  According to wiki, it also has the most Emmy wins of any show.   

• Love 16

I'm just annoyed The Wiz didn't win; I thought Grease sucked.

Watching the Emmy Awards last night made me kind of sad.  Sometimes I'm not surprised we're so divided as a country, we don't even watch the same TV programs.  I'm old enough to remember when everybody watched more or less, the same TV shows, and then we'd talk about them in the lounge in school the next day.  Now, there are so many channels and so many choices, people watch TV so many different ways.  I think about a show I watch, Mr. Robot, and that I don't know anybody in my real life who watches it.  The only places I can talk about it are with people on message boards and Twitter.  I work with a woman who does not have cable, so she's never even seen most of the shows that won last night yet, though she knows about them.  I contrast that to when I first started working, in 1981, when my co workers and I would talk about the latest episodes of shows like "The Jeffersons."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 15

Kate McKinnon winning made me do a fist bump!  Gal is awesome.  I just rewatched the Ryan Gosling show where she's in the skit about the alien abductees and she broke up the entire cast.  RG could not hold it together.  I really think she adlibs a lot to catch everyone off guard.  Love her.

I enjoyed the Emmy show.  A lot of them I know of but don't watch 'cause all I have is 'air tv' no cable (in the boonies here) but have binged on House of Cards and darling son is loaning me his GoT DVDs.  He loves it.

I'm like others who are tired of hearing "Hallelujah".  That said I'm a singer and am critical of voices (glad The Voice won...hubby and I are regular viewers) and Tori Kelley...whom I am going to look up...did one of the best versions I've heard.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Neeners said:

Is Amy Poehler pregnant? Or is it just my wine playing tricks on me?

I wondered the same; her face was puffy and that dress was awful.

15 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Can we talk about Tavolta's face lift? Damn, it's so apparent. 

Wow, I thought he looked great tonight.  In OJ the plastic surgery looked awful.  I don't know if he's had it "fixed" or lost weight, but I felt like tonight he looked like himself.

14 hours ago, maraleia said:

Abigail Spencer is sublime in Rectify on Sundance which is airing its third and final season this fall. That show is so fantastic but way too nuanced for most people to recognize with awards.

I was going to post that she's on the most sublime show that no one is watching.  Watch it, people!!!!!

I'm happy that Game of Thrones won best drama and that it won writing and directing awards.  Disappointed that Lena Headey didn't win.  Her performance in the season finale was amazing.  She does so much with a look without even saying a word.  I love Maggie Smith though, and this was the last time she could win for Downton Abbey, so I can't begrudge her win that much.  She is amazing.

I also think that Tatiana Maslany was deserving of her win.  But I can't help but feel that it's a bit of an unfair playing field.  Other actresses can only showcase their range and acting with one role in one episode.  She has like 8 different characters all with different personalities all in the same episode.  Of course she is going to have so much more varied range and emotion than any of the others.  It's kind of like how people always comment about Michael Phelps and his umpteen gold medals and how he is the best of all time.  But he got 6 chances to win, as opposed to somebody that plays volleyball who only gets 1.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

I was touched to see Marcia Clark with Paulson. Clark had said she was crushed and heartsick when the series was first announced so it's great that she has apparently experienced some personal vindication/catharsis and is now able to celebrate it. I've been impressed with her in the interviews I've seen.

I was glad for Aziz's and John Oliver's recognition but more soul-satisfied that Schumer was shut out. There was a brief reaction shot of her looking chagrined before she quickly put a fake face back on. I've experienced a rising tide of revulsion this year for her and everything she does.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I thought the Emmys were the start of the awards season.

The Emmys are the first of the high holy days.  To be followed by the Golden Globes, the Independent Spirit Awards, the Oscars, and finally, the highest of the high holy days, the Tonys.  Some eastern orthodox also include the Grammys

Yippee for Tatiana and Rami!  

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The Emmys are the first of the high holy days.  To be followed by the Golden Globes, the Independent Spirit Awards, the Oscars, and finally, the highest of the high holy days, the Tonys.  Some eastern orthodox also include the Grammys

Yippee for Tatiana and Rami!  

You forgot the AMAs and the CMAs.  Or are those only for heretics?

• Love 2

Oh for cod's sack.  In my newspaper today there is a picture of Regina King and the caption reads, in part -

"...outstanding supporting actress in a limited series or movie for "The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story..."

Look, I get that the titles of the series are similar and I get that this newspaper is horrible for typos but that is inexcusable.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I also think that Tatiana Maslany was deserving of her win.  But I can't help but feel that it's a bit of an unfair playing field.  Other actresses can only showcase their range and acting with one role in one episode.  She has like 8 different characters all with different personalities all in the same episode.  Of course she is going to have so much more varied range and emotion than any of the others.  It's kind of like how people always comment about Michael Phelps and his umpteen gold medals and how he is the best of all time.  But he got 6 chances to win, as opposed to somebody that plays volleyball who only gets 1.

But that's just it: Not every actress would be able to do what Tatiana does: play 8 distinct characters in a show that requires her to interact--as different characters--opposite some of the same actors. Even her co-stars say they sometimes forget that Tatiana is the one playing each character. And at times she plays a clone who pretends to be another clone, so she has to maintain the integrity of the original character while showing her "trying" to become the other clone. 

And I agree with you about Michael Phelps and his opportunity to win several individual medals instead of a single medal for a team sport. But he's also unique in that most swimmers don't excel at all strokes. Most have one or two specialties, and they compete in these events at the Olympics. 

• Love 11