Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

And we have our nominations!  Biggest (and best!) surprise nominations for me are Constance Zimmer for UnREAL, Rupaul for Best Reality Show Host (though I wish Drag Race could've snuck into the Best Reality Show category), David Schwimmer for Best Supporting Actor (I didn't think he'd get in), and Matthew Rhys and Kerri Russell FINALLY getting recognized for their stellar work on The Americans.  There must've been a lot of ties in the voting categories, because we ended up with 7 nominees for Best Drama, Best Comedy, and Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

Biggest bummer for me is that once again, Andy Samberg is snubbed for his excellent work on Brooklyn Nine Nine.  He really should be in there over Will Forte, and I might even give him the edge over Thomas Middleditch as well (who I love, but I'd put him at 3rd funniest on his own show).  I wish TJ Miller or Zach Woods could've snuck in for Best Supporting Actor, but that category is pretty packed as it is.  I'm also bummed Rachel Bloom couldn't get in a nomination either; she has been fantastic on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.  

I am surprised that Orange is the New Black got completely shut out in the major categories (I thought Uzo Aduba would be a lock for a nomination for sure) and that Christine Baransky missed for The Good Wife; I'm not as surprised that The Daily Show or Julianna Margulies missed on nominations.  

I'm so happy about RuPaul. It'll probably go to Seacrest for the final AI season, but now that the nomination has happened, its much easier to make it happen again. Though it reminds me that my wonderful Cat Deeley never got her Emmy win and probably never will now that SYTYCD has been forgotten.

As for Julianna, I am thrilled that she was shut out. The last season of The Good Wife was a mess and it felt to me like she drifted through it without ever turning her emotions on. Probably didn't help that she was basically cut off from half the cast in her own little island.

10 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Honestly, I'm just glad that The Americans FINALLY got some damn recognition. It only took four damn seasons. Well, it gives me hope that maybe next year, they will finally recognize Freddie Highmore for his amazing work on Bates Motel, as it'll be the show's last season. 

I actually think Courtney winning is far more likely than Cuba. If you followed most of the press and hype around the series, Courtney and Sarah were the ones people talked about the most in terms of their performances, along with Sterling Brown. I will be shocked if Courtney doesn't win. Unless they don't give it to either actor and just go for someone from another miniseries/movie.

Guess the pundits were right about the competition between Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Kimmy Schmidt. Most predicted that the voters would only go one way and both would not be nominated. If they went for Kimmy Schmidt, Ellie would get the nomination and vice versa if they went for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Definitely surprised, but not upset, about some complete shut outs - Big Bang Theory and OITNB to name a few. They could have left some others out in my opinion but whatever. As much as I'm not in love with House Of Cards like I used to be, I'm happy for Michael Kelly's nomination. He's being done amazing work on the show since the first season and it's overdue in my opinion. 

I agree that Courtney is the one with the hype in that category. Johnnie Cochran is a showy part with bluster and big speeches and people remember him. He's been dead for years and still, his performance in that trial is still crystal clear to me and Courtney nailed it. He was impressive and big but also layered which is very much the thing that seems to attract voters.

Big Bang still got a few guest actor nominations but it's amazing to see Jim Parsons, who was once a sure thing, not even get a nomination. I'm cool with that because I do think the show has gotten stale. OITNB was awful last season so I'm glad it was snubbed too. This newest season has been much stronger so I do hope to see it get some love next year.

And yes to the Michael Kelly love. He is incredible in that he is so slimy and creepy and horrible. That's not the sort of role that typically gets Emmy love (I think of it like Vincent Kartheiser on Mad Men being constantly snubbed because he was playing a creepy, unlikeable jerk so well) and while I don't think he's going to win, it's nice to see him appreciated.

• Love 2
(edited)

Happy to see a Jesse Plemons nomination for Fargo; I've admired and liked him since FNL. 

As a Veep watcher I'm obviously quite satisfied there.  Other nominations I'm glad for are Judith Light, Lily Tomlin, Titus Burgess and Andre Braugher. 

It's a shame that Jason Sudeikis was disqualified for a nomination; I would have liked to see him get one as supporting for Last Man on Earth.  But a lesson learned for show runners - read the rules!  http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jason-sudeikis-emmy-the-last-man-on-earth-1201796424/

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 1

Downton Abbey and Homeland nominated for outstanding drama... Is that a joke or they changed the category to "unintentionally hilarious melodrama"?

Michael Emerson totally deserved a nomination for his performance in Person of Interest.

• Love 7

I'm rather dismayed that Cuba Gooding, Jr was nominated. I thought he was rather bad playing OJ. It didn't help that the ESPN series on the real trial ran recently and then I rewatched the mini-series and IMO Gooding was just ...not good. He didn't capture OJ's essence at all IMO. But Courtney Vance and Sterling Brown were pretty fantastic and captured the essence of Cochrane and Darden. 

I don't understand how they can nominate CEXG for the songs and writing but not Rachel Bloom as an actor performing those great works. So dumb. IMO. 

I am so fucking tired of Modern Family being nominated AGAIN. JFC.  

• Love 3

Ted Danson and Patrick Wilson of Fargo--robbed!

I think Ted Danson has been robbed most of his TV career.   I so would have given him a nomination for Season 2 of Bored to Death, and two more wins for Cheers (Seasons 3 and 5 in particular.)

I understand how hard it must be to give everyone their due; there is so much freaking TV now!  And, yes, I watch too much of it.

I'm undecided. I enjoy Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee but I'm not sure about the Emmy nod.  But, boy, it must suck to be Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah today.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UniqBlue69 said:

They expanded the Best Drama and Best Comedy categories to 7 slots last year.

Oh, I did not know that; thanks for the info!  Guess that means there was only a tie in voting in the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category.  Which - Louie Anderson in Baskets kind of came out of nowhere, right?  Or have I been under a rock and he's been getting acclaim for the role (i haven't seen the show, so I know nothing about it or his role in it).  I hadn't seen him on any of the potential nominees list, so it took me by surprise.

• Love 1

I think this might actually be the first Emmy I might not hate.  I don't expect the Americans to actually win not with the overrated GoT in the category.  My guess GoT will win 3/4 of the awards they are in....still I am glad that at least a few of my favorites are at least being showcased.....even Ninja Warrior.  The closest thing to a sport and a reality show I watch.  

• Love 1

Thrilled that Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg got a writing nom for The Americans (“Persona Non Grata”), but perplexed that they're keeping company with Robert King and Michelle King for The Good Wife's POS finale.

Also, when did Tina Fey and Amy Poehler become one person?  Seriously, there is a single guest actress in a comedy nom for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live.

19 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Also, when did Tina Fey and Amy Poehler become one person?  Seriously, there is a single guest actress in a comedy nom for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live.

I think it's similar to when two people write one episode of tv - they hosted that episode of SNL together, so they were submitted together.  I'm guessing since it was done that way, there must be something in the Emmy rules that state they had to be submitted together for that, or I'm assuming they would've submitted that episode separately.  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Oh, I did not know that; thanks for the info!  Guess that means there was only a tie in voting in the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category.  Which - Louie Anderson in Baskets kind of came out of nowhere, right?  Or have I been under a rock and he's been getting acclaim for the role (i haven't seen the show, so I know nothing about it or his role in it).  I hadn't seen him on any of the potential nominees list, so it took me by surprise.

Louie really was wonderful in Baskets, such an odd role, but he played it straight, the character was funny and sad, and I hope he wins.

• Love 3

Not surprised that OITNB was shut out Last season was HORRIBLE. I am going to have to start watching The Americans. Super thrilled for Lily Tomlin, Anthony Anderson, Tracy Ellis Ross & Kate McKinnon. Too bad that Kate is in the same category as Allison Janney(who I do like) because nobody has ever beaten Janney at the Emmy's. I'm hoping Courtney B Vance wins because he's always been great in what he's in. I'm hoping that Ellen Burstyn takes home the Emmy for her guest stint on HOC. I'm relieved that Gaga wasn't nominated for her role on AH. She wasn't good and if she had been nominated that would have made things worse. I have to say as much as I love Tina Fey I'm kind of getting sick of her. Amy though is just a gem and I will never get tired of her. Super thrilled for RuPaul's nomination. It is MUCH deserved!! So Emmy voters in the words of RuPaul "DON'T fuck it up!!"

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand how they can nominate CEXG for the songs and writing but not Rachel Bloom as an actor performing those great works. So dumb. IMO. 

Some nominations come from the different peer groups. So makeup people nominate makeup, choreographers nominate choreography, and so on. Those peer groups may actually pay attention to what goes on in their fields unlike actors? 

Edited by Stuffy
4 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

I thought the same thing.  They are in  a performance category so how does this work?  And if this works for them, then why not have both Keegan Michael Key and Jordan Peele as a duo for their category then?  Honestly, Key doesn't work without Peele.  And as much as I love KMK, I think Jordan Peele has gotten the shaft yet again.  Also, for the umpty year in a row, I will never understand how Saturday Night Live is a Variety show, but the comedians are always lumped in with the comedy acting category.

Anyway, I think this was the first time in a long time that I was sort of impressed by the Emmys.  Sure they hang onto some things well beyond their sell by date (Downton Abbey, Modern Family) but totally impressed they recognized Aziz Ansari and Super thrilled for the Black-ish crew.  Their Season 2 has been fantastic all around.  I thought Tracee was overlooked last year so I am happy she was in this year.  She is such a natural comedienne she makes it look effortless.

Also happy for The Americans love, the continued Tituss Burgess and Andre Braugher recognition, Viola, Taraji, & Tatiana.  Tickled by the Lemonade noms.

Bummed by the lack of love for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend & Rachel Bloom.  I'd totally kick Amy Schumer out of that category and replace her with Rachel.

Kinda wish Dennis Haysbert had gotten a guest nod for Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  He and Andre Braugher doing their level best to out dead-pan each other was brilliant.

Not surprised bu the OINTB shut out.  Season 3 was kinda bad.

• Love 2

Do you mean only on Key and Peele the show?  Because I know and love both of them from other things separately, but I've never seen Key & Peele the show.  Although your point about Tina Fey and Amy Poehler is well taken.

7 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Which - Louie Anderson in Baskets kind of came out of nowhere, right?  Or have I been under a rock and he's been getting acclaim for the role (i haven't seen the show, so I know nothing about it or his role in it).  I hadn't seen him on any of the potential nominees list, so it took me by surprise.

The role has gotten a lot of acclaim.  I haven't seen the full season but he was pretty terrific and I've often seen him cited as the best thing about the show.  That said, it's a pretty low rated show on a network that, until this year, hasn't managed to get much Emmy love.  In that respect, it kind of came out of nowhere for an awards show not exactly known for taking risks on first season shows that take risks.

8 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm rather dismayed that Cuba Gooding, Jr was nominated. I thought he was rather bad playing OJ. It didn't help that the ESPN series on the real trial ran recently and then I rewatched the mini-series and IMO Gooding was just ...not good.

Oscar Isaac was robbed and belonged in Cuba's slot.  Cuba was fine but nomination worthy?

I really wanted Rachel to get a nomination for Best Actress but not only are there different people making the selections, there is less competition in the song categories. 

• Love 2

Damn! I forgot about Oscar Isaac and Show Me A Hero, even though I was obsessed with it last summer. Do you think the voters kind of forgot about it too because it was so long ago? People v. OJ Simpson got more buzz...

Man, I'm super disappointed now. SMAH was so, so good. And it gave me a gigantic crush on Oscar...he was devastating. Ugh, Cuba.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Do you mean only on Key and Peele the show?  Because I know and love both of them from other things separately, but I've never seen Key & Peele the show.  Although your point about Tina Fey and Amy Poehler is well taken.

Yeah, the show.  Key got a couple of nominations -- he also got one for voice acting I think in another show.  But the big one is for performance in Key & Peele.  I could understand if he acted rings around Peele, but that simply isn't the case.  Watching the show, it is clear the partnership feels almost symbiotic.  I remember when it happened last year my knee-jerk reaction was "How do you pick Key without Peele?' So seeing Amy and Tina listed as one performer, it just struck me as odd consider Amy and Tina so equal in talent and performance they are essentially one entity.  if this were writing, I'd understand since writing credit is a different animal. Can performance categories submit as a team?  Maybe they can and people just do have always do it individually?  Or maybe Peele simply chose not to submit himself.

12 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, the show.  Key got a couple of nominations -- he also got one for voice acting I think in another show.  But the big one is for performance in Key & Peele.  I could understand if he acted rings around Peele, but that simply isn't the case.  Watching the show, it is clear the partnership feels almost symbiotic.  I remember when it happened last year my knee-jerk reaction was "How do you pick Key without Peele?' So seeing Amy and Tina listed as one performer, it just struck me as odd consider Amy and Tina so equal in talent and performance they are essentially one entity.  if this were writing, I'd understand since writing credit is a different animal. Can performance categories submit as a team?  Maybe they can and people just do have always do it individually?  Or maybe Peele simply chose not to submit himself.

The top of this article explains it - this is the first time that someone has submitted themselves as a pair in any acting category, and it appears that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler decided to do it because they hosted together.  They said the closest similarity is when Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum shared a nomination for Best Host for a Reality Show.  

• Love 4

Just curious to know how the song from The Hunting Ground was eligible for the Emmys. I thought since it was eligible for an Academy Award that that meant it was ineligible for Emmy consideration. I know that the documentary was shown on CNN but wouldn't that be the equivalent of nominating standard movies because they were shown on TV? Or vice versa, if being shown on CNN makes in eligible for the Emmys doesn't that mean it should not have been eligible for the Academy Awards?

Either way I'm putting money on Menken, cause I really want him to get into the EGOT Hall of Fame.

And I admit I am still confused with how 'internet' shows can be nominated for 'television' awards but I am just chalking that down to old age and not liking change LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm happy that Getting On, Mr. Robot, Rami Malek, People v OJ Simpson, Tatiana Maslany, and Viola Davis received nominations. Bummed about Rachel Bloom not getting an acting nomination.

Snubs: Freddie Highmore, and Vera Farmiga for Bates Motel. This past season was definitely their best.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 2

Surprisingly, I think I'm most excited/interested in the Miniseries/Movie category.  Smart money is on The People vs. OJ Simpson dominating, and it was really, really good, but part of me still hopes Fargo gets something, because the second season was probably on my favorite television seasons of all time.  And I even enjoyed The Night Manager, and hope Olivia Coleman pulls off an upset (she deserved a nom for Broadchurch too.)

Besides that, I'm glad for the nominations for Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, Tatiana Maslany, Master of None, and Mr. Robot.  Need to catch-up on The Americans, but I'm glad that it is finally getting it's due.  Bummed that Brooklyn Nine-Nine got shut-out outside of Andre Braugher's nom and Bates Motel not getting a damn thing.

Only award that I will be truly annoyed over is if "The Battle of the Bastards" doesn't win Best Directing.  I just can't see anything topping that.

I have a sinking feeling The People Vs. OJ will win, even though Fargo season two is brilliant TV and I bought the DVD the day it went on sale. I was disappointed in TPVOJS because it seemed like the main draw was the casting. I thought everyone did a good job except for Cuba Gooding, who is nominated, go figure. Fargo seemed more original in every way.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Just curious to know how the song from The Hunting Ground was eligible for the Emmys. I thought since it was eligible for an Academy Award that that meant it was ineligible for Emmy consideration. I know that the documentary was shown on CNN but wouldn't that be the equivalent of nominating standard movies because they were shown on TV? Or vice versa, if being shown on CNN makes in eligible for the Emmys doesn't that mean it should not have been eligible for the Academy Awards?

Either way I'm putting money on Menken, cause I really want him to get into the EGOT Hall of Fame.

And I admit I am still confused with how 'internet' shows can be nominated for 'television' awards but I am just chalking that down to old age and not liking change LOL

If the release was just a week or so to qualify for the Academy Awards its still eligible for the Emmys. OJ: Made in America did a similar thing this year so it will also be eligible for both.

• Love 1

I'm really disappointed at the lack of recognition for Constance Wu of "Fresh Off the Boat".  Her sense of comedic timing is amazing, and she is the glue of that show.  I like Traci Ellis Ross, but I don't think she is as good as Wu.  And I would have dumped the overrated Amy Schumer in favour of any of a whole host of other nominees.

• Love 5
On 7/19/2016 at 8:31 AM, cpcathy said:

Schumer had a weak season on her show, she will fall out of contention next year, I predict.

The Emmys are slow to change so I don't necessarily agree.

Peter MacNicol disqualified. He went over the number of episodes for guest actor. Apparently they will replace him with someone else.

On 7/15/2016 at 8:33 PM, Bill1978 said:

Yeah, it seems like a case of having your cake and eating it too.

I guess it depends on how you define 'television' these days.  When Community was cancelled from NBC it moved over to Yahoo for its last season.  Also technically you don't need a TV to watch Netflix or Hulu original programming.  They are considered streaming services so you just need a device capable to receiving them.  Tons of people watch shows on tablets.  So i guess content created to be streamed on the internet isn't that far removed from Netflix or Hulu.

I feel bad for Peter MacNicol, but on the very slim chance this gives Dennis Haysbert a shot I'd be tickled pink.

and finally, I think Constance Wu is great and should have gotten the nom.  But if I had to kick off any of the other nominees to make room for her,  Tracee would not be the one.  She is brilliant as Bow and I thought she was overlooked last year.  There are a couple on that list that i would jettison way before I'd get to Tracee.

• Love 5

I kinda feel like they shouldn't have replaced the disqualification cause really all this says is that the guy has no chance of winning. He was ranked 6th in the original vote. But watch now as the Emmys surprise me and he wins.

• Love 1
(edited)

I may be wrong but isn't there different voting for the winner versus the nominees? For example, I know with the Grammys they make the artists/producers/etc. in the specific genre vote on the nominees but the entire Academy gets to vote for the actual winners. The ballots with the five/six nominees get sent out and they vote on those. So if it's similar with the Emmys, he very well could end up winning. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

No, I believe for the Emmys, the same peer group votes for both the nominations and the win (i.e actors vote for acting categories only, writers vote for writing categories only, etc).  This only sticks out in my head, because a few months ago, Tiny Fey said that since she has the choice to vote either with the writers group or actors group, she's always chosen to be categorized as a writer since she's been able to vote.  However, this year she was so impressed with Sarah Paulson's performance in The People vs. OJ Simpson that she switched to being categorized as an actor just so she could vote for her.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
clarification
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I kinda feel like they shouldn't have replaced the disqualification cause really all this says is that the guy has no chance of winning. He was ranked 6th in the original vote. But watch now as the Emmys surprise me and he wins.

I think with the preliminary nominations, it is somewhat based on what programs have been seen by the most voters.  When it comes to actually selecting a winner, voters are "required" to watch all the nominated performances.  I put required in quotes because I don't think there is a way to make sure that's the case.  So just because he came in sixth in the original vote doesn't mean that's where he'll end up in the final vote as people who hadn't seen his performance now likely will.  I'm not saying he'll win or anything but I do think this was a good role for him. (Caveat, I didn't see him last season because I stopped watching Girls.)

• Love 2

And the replacement Emmy nomination will go to......

Peter Scolari for Girls.

kinda feel like they shouldn't have replaced the disqualification cause really all this says is that the guy has no chance of winning. He was ranked 6th in the original vote. But watch now as the Emmys surprise me and he wins.

And he did win!  Wow I bet nobody saw that coming!

I'm beyond happy that Amy Poehler finally won an Emmy.  Way, way overdue. 

And boy, they love Margo Martindale.  Back to back wins for The Americans.  I wonder what her combined screentime for the last two seasons totals?  This last season felt like a tiny cameo to me honestly.

• Love 1

What the heck is going on?  I thought the Emmy Awards weren't til next Sunday, and I keep hearing now about the winners?

I love The Americans with every fiber of my being, but Margo Martindale was on for maybe two minutes this season.  Whatever she won was, imho, undeserved compared to actors who were more of a factor in their shows.

22 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

What the heck is going on?  I thought the Emmy Awards weren't til next Sunday, and I keep hearing now about the winners?

Yeah, they decided to have a separate ceremony for some of the categories. This year it spread out between two nights (last night and tonight); then the the main ceremony (with the "big", more popular categories) is next Sunday.

• Love 1

I don't care except maybe I do because it annoys me, but how are guest actor/actress awards not major categories? Sheesh.

I also saw an article about the juried awards, which is another damned wrinkle in the rules.

I like Margo M. fine but don't watch The Americans so screw my opinion, but Laurie Metcalf was brilliant in her episode of Horace and Pete, plus she was the focus of the entire episode.

Edited by lordonia
7 minutes ago, lordonia said:

I don't care except maybe I do because it annoys me, but how are best supporting actor/actress awards not major categories? Sheesh.

I also saw an article about the juried awards, which is another damned wrinkle in the rules.

Those will be next Sunday, they are major awards.  They did the guest star awards already.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, vb68 said:

And he did win!  Wow I bet nobody saw that coming!

I've stopped watching Girls but what I've seen of his work on that show, it's a good role/performance for him.  The reason I'm not that surprised is because being nominated means voters are supposed to watch all the submissions before voting.  So if not enough people watched him in order to get him nominated in the initial wave because of the sheer number of potential nominees, they likely did watch after his nomination considering there are fewer performances to view.  That's the way it's supposed to work anyway but....

9 minutes ago, lordonia said:

I like Margo M. fine but don't watch The Americans so screw my opinion, but Laurie Metcalf was brilliant in her episode of Horace and Pete, plus she was the focus of the entire episode.

The fact that Margo won for her appearance in The Americans suggests that people may not have watched the Horace and Pete show.  I love The Americans and I love Margo Martindale.  They both deserve Emmys.  I just don't think, at least for the past season, that this is the place where either should have won.  It was a good few minutes but award worthy?

Yay, Peter Scolari! Not that Tom Hanks is not an all-round wonderful guy who deserves all his Oscars, but as a fan of Bosom Buddies way back before the turn of the century, I remain astonished that it's Hanks who went on to a huge career.

• Love 6

By almost any standard, Scolari has had a very successful acting career and it always comes off as slightly patronizing to me when Hanks gives him props: "Isn't Peter great!? I'm sure Tom is sincere in his appreciation but that's how I hear it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ABay said:

Yay, Peter Scolari! Not that Tom Hanks is not an all-round wonderful guy who deserves all his Oscars, but as a fan of Bosom Buddies way back before the turn of the century, I remain astonished that it's Hanks who went on to a huge career.

It doesn't astonish me, I think Hanks deserves every minute of success he's had, but I loved Bosom Buddies too, and those two together were hysterical. I was always sad they got canceled after two seasons.

• Love 5