Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

AFter reading about what Olive Kitteridge is about, I am sure its a great show based on all these awards, but I have absolutely zero interest in ever watching it.

I am flipping back and forth between football but I think Andy is doing a great job hosting.

Jimmy's bit where he ate the name of the winner was funny.

COlin Hanks sounds and looks A LOT like his dad.

• Love 2

Actually, that ew article says it's for climate change. As the NYT said, last year the green was for mental health awareness. This year it's climate change.

I think if they have to change up the meaning every year, they should find another way...

Ha - so in the time I read it, and then posted it, they updated the article. The original one had nothing about climate change, and it was all about Mental Health awareness. I'm guessing someone yelled at some poor intern to update it.

• Love 1

So, it's The Daily Show that gets it's final moment in the sun.  Hopefully now that it and various other shows are leaving, this will give John Oliver a chance to shine.

Don't watch House of Cards, but love Reg E. Cathey and that awesome voice of his.

What?!  Game of Thrones won a writing award?  For this season?!  I still love the show, but come on...

Edited by thuganomics85

AFter reading about what Olive Kitteridge is about, I am sure its a great show based on all these awards, but I have absolutely zero interest in ever watching it.

It was an amazing show (four hours).  I am so glad it has been recognized; I thought it was remarkable. 

• Love 3

It really says something when Lady Gaga is one of the best dressed.  A vast majority of the dresses are really ugly. Fashion Police is going to have a field day---- but when Rancic is one of the worst looks, how can she critique anyone?

I think there are a lot of muted dress tones because it's fall.  And nearly every woman is wearing some geometric style one shouldered gown.  I lost count of those on the red carpet.

No one really impressed me, but Jaime Alexander's dress is the only one I find truly horrendous.  Feels like she was trying to make up for the half-nekkid dress from a couple years back with something equally ugly that covers her from head to toe.  She looks like one of those multicolored slinkys from the 80s.  And why is her hair shellacked?  She's too pretty for that mess.

Best Dressed (imo of course): Tatiana Maslany and Sarah Hyland.  Tatiana is wearing the hell out of that suit, and Sarah looks beautiful in that shade of plum.

I was wondering why they were showing such a long clip of Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch, especially during the variety show portion, when I realized my cat had changed the channel. Shows how much I am paying attention.

I started reading your post, and I was all, "Hey, I missed that part."--then I read the rest. So funny.  I'm flipping between the Emmys and the NFL game, skipping most speeches and commercials, so it is possible that I'll eventually miss something important.

Go Uzo!  The new Ed Asner.

--but was she the best of the lot? I've only seen Orange a few times, and when I see Uzo, she's definitely a presence, but I'm very aware that she is ACTING. I prefer performances like Tatiana's on Orphan Black, where I forget that the character I'm watching is being portrayed by a real person.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Best Dressed (imo of course): Tatiana Maslany and Sarah Hyland.  Tatiana is wearing the hell out of that suit, and Sarah looks beautiful in that shade of plum.

I concur with both of these. I really loved Sarah dress, but I usually like her award show fashion choices.

• Love 1

Alexander's dress reminded me of a lite brite that was missing some colors.

I'm pretty good with GoT getting some love in writing, and I'm a booker.  I give them a lot of credit for condensing and expanding storylines even if it's not strictly by the book.  YMMV of course...  

• Love 1

Heh, Emilia Clarke didn't even bother showing up.

Wanted either Christina Hendricks or Lena Headey to win.  At least Lena has more shots in the future.  For all the Jon Hamm/Don Draper talk, I thought Joan was just as iconic as him.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I only know Ray Parker Jr from Ghostbusters. I guess he's also a session musician.

And we get at least the second True Detective diss I noticed. Considering the primary difference between the season is the director, I think we now know for sure who made the first season so magical.

• Love 1

Hell yeah, David Nutter!  No matter what show he's directing, those episodes are always top-notch.  Certainly wanted him to win over the other Games nominee, whose episode had one of the worst fight scenes ever, and should have been an automatic disqualification.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3