Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

I know fashion isn't her thing, but did Frances know she was going to the Emmys when she left the house?

For her, this is way glammed up. When she won a Tony a few years ago, she wore denim, including an ordinary zipper jacket. 

Fred Savage... looking exactly I imagine an older Kevin would look like.  I do love The Wonder Years.

Glad that Justified got included in the series finale clip, since that's the only recognition the Emmy seem to give it now.  True Blood being there just made me laugh.  And, of course, both Daily Show and Colbert Report: really curious to see how this is going to play in the variety talk Emmy.

• Love 3

I had to read Olive Kitteridge for a class and I hated it.  Such a depressing slog and I couldn't wait for it to end.  But the critics peed themselves over it, so I knew it would win most of the acting categories.  I'm just glad Francis kept the speech short.

Thought that memoriam was going to be for the recently deceased, not shows that ended.  Whoops.

• Love 2

Favorite moment during the George R.R. Martin bit was the bit where you see all the various Game of Thrones actors all "And there's the guy who has our job security in the palm of his hand!"

So, Daily Show takes Writing.  Will there be a split, or will it go all the way?  Either way, the writers clips continue to be one of my favorite parts of the telecast.

ETA: Figured Inside Amy Schumer was going to win, but I was hoping for Key & Peele, since I know it's suppose to be ending soon.

Edited by thuganomics85

I don't like Amy or her show. I've given it a chance and every sketch I've seen has one moment where I think to myself, "Ok that might have been funny, but they just went too far". Literally anyone else in the category deserved it more. 

• Love 3

I just discovered Inside Amy Schumer this year and have really enjoyed it. Every once in a while she goes a little over the line for my tastes but I usually find myself laughing quite a bit at her show. Her take off on 12 Angry Men was great.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 2

And according to entertainment weekly, it's for Mental Health awareness: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/20/emmy-awards-emmys-green-ribbon-mental-health-transparent

So I guess no one really got the memo.

Andy is doing a great job so far. His monologue was one of the best in a few years.

Actually, that ew article says it's for climate change.  As the NYT said, last year the green was for mental health awareness.  This year it's climate change.

I think if they have to change up the meaning every year, they should find another way...

Was he really, and I missed it? Or are you being sarcastic.

For once, not sarcastic :-)  He was really there - briefly, but there.

Bill Maher wasn't nominated?  Maybe there's a God after all.

If I had to guess, a lot of it was John Oliver stealing his thunder and the critical love on the HBO network.  Which is just another reason why I love John Oliver.  Of course, Bill's probably not too upset, since he's too busy attacking that Ahmed kid for daring to get himself arrested for building a clock in Texas.  And being Muslim.

• Love 9

It really says something when Lady Gaga is one of the best dressed.  A vast majority of the dresses are really ugly. Fashion Police is going to have a field day---- but when Rancic is one of the worst looks, how can she critique anyone?

I think its time for the Emmys to be split into two separate shows.  one for the cable shows and one for network. Because the cable shows can stretch the envelope, they get all the nominations, while some really excellent shows are shut out. 

• Love 6

Kimmel's schtick got OLD fast there.

I guess I'm the only person who enjoys Jimmy Kimmel's off-beat humor. I was laughing hysterically during his entire bit.

Seriously??  Can't someone else win this award???

I know, right? I love JLD and Veep, but is really the funniest woman on TV four years in a row? To badly paraphrase Mr. T in Rocky III, "Give another sister a shot!"

I liked Andy's opening monologue. He took risks and took Hollywood to task for issues like diversity, sexism, and ageism.

Congrats, Regina King!

• Love 2