Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Seriously, shut the hell up, Julia Roberts.

Holy shit!  Bryan Cranston just shot the McConnaissance, dumped it in an acid-filled barrel, and buried it in a field in Albuquerque. Never though I'd see the day where Bryan was almost an underdog.

Man, at this point I just feel sad for Jon Hamm at these things.  Will he ever win a trophy?

Modern Family again?  Damn you, Emmy voters!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

Hotwives of Orlando reference.

Let's be besties.

But it's a beautiful song, and the director make sure that whoever was singing (any one?) didn't detract from the moment.

That's Sara Bareilles. I love her first album. Kaleidoscope is pretty good as well but has some misses. I haven't listened to her most recent albums yet. She's a good singer and songwriter but sometimes her lyrics are a little clunky.

• Love 4
God, does Julia Roberts have to make every award presentation she does all about her every single time?

Yes she does.  I still cringe when she was at the Oscars and intro'd Kate Hepburn's obit segment.  It was chillingly horrible.  

Well a big hooray for Bryan, he's a great actor who doesn't seem to take it all too seriously.  The Emmy segment he did with Aaron and Julia Louis Dreyfus is hilarious!  

Have tried to watch Modern Family, but I didn't find it amusing in the least.  No thanks.

• Love 1

Are Emmy's voters this predictable? Modern Family again? I never thought it was super funny to begin with but now it's ridiculous that it keeps winning. Not only is not the full funniest show nominated I can think of at least three more shows that weren't nominated that I think are funnier than Modern Family.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2
Are they paid for presenting?   Because that is the only thing that explains some of these choices.

I think they get gift baskets that are worth a ton of money.

I like Modern Family, but can't they give another show some love? 5 years in a row is just crazy.

• Love 1

Modern Family ( like the nominated Downton Abbey) is fine to watch when I am wasting time, but there are so many better comedies out there. Some of which were not even nominated like Brooklyn 99, Parks and Rec, and I am sure others.

• Love 4

Well, putting True Detective in the Best Drama category sure did backfire on HBO.  Breaking Bad takes it for it's final season!  I love both shows, but it was the right choice, IMO.

Could have better, but it could have been worse, I guess.  Seth Meyers kind of just disappeared in the second half of the telecast though.

Halle Berry looks gorgeous. Did Extant already premiere? I wasn't going to watch it anyway but I'm curious.

It did.  Got really meh reviews and I don't think anyone watched it.  At least I didn't anyway.

I happened to catch a final-season Breaking Bad marathon on New Year's Eve -- it was riveting and horrifying, and I could not look away.  But I also don't know if I could take all that intensity in the other seasons. 

When it comes to the comedies, I'm kinda meh. I don't watch any of them. But man was I cheering big time for the Breaking Bad love!! And if Bryan Cranston winning managed to knock the smirk off Julia Roberts' face, so much the better!!! Gah, I wanted to throw something at the TV while she was introducing the nominees.

• Love 5

But Frasier was funny, hence comedy...

Even though it was funny, I thought Frasier was terribly overrated, and unlike Modern Family, it was beating perhaps the best sitcom of all time (Seinfeld) when it won its 5 in a row. Veep would have been my choice for Best Comedy, but I think Modern Family's still better than any of the other nominees in that category.

• Love 2

Honestly, I could not be happier with how Breaking Bad cleaned up at the Emmys (with the exception of Vince Gilligan losing out in the Directing category).  The episode that Bryan Cranston chose for his acting submission was stellar, and I'm glad the voters recognized it.  I was cheering for Anna, Aaron and for the show.  What a great way for BrBa to take its final bow!

I was even happy with Kathy Bates winning her award -- her head did a great acting job in AHS:Coven!

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

The watchword tonight is...boring. And I continue to bang my head on the nearest hardest surface after hearing the Modern Family win. I can name like, five shows off the top of my head that are better. And one show sweeps are always kind of dull...but I do love Breaking Bad so much.

• Love 1

*evil cackle* I loved watching the Modern Family haters lose their mind! I love the show and still think it's funny, but I root for it every year partially because I think the hate is over the top. Though I can sympathize. I remember when Frasier won it's fourth and fifth Emmy thinking "Are you kidding me?" Glad MF tied the record.

A mostly enjoyable Emmys telecast. Lots of moments that genuinely made me laugh and a few surprises. As someone who loved the first two season of Sherlock but have had my issues with it, not sure what to think of all of their wins. Though I'm genuinely pissed BC and MF weren't there to accept their awards. I'm sure they had good reasons, but damn that would have been awesome.

• Love 3

Best Dressed: 1. Sofia Vergara 2. Lizzy Caplan 3. Debra Messing 4. Camila Alves 5. Hayden Pannettiere 6. Juliana Margulies

Most Improved: January Jones, Claire Danes, Melissa McCarthy

Worst Dressed: 1. Lena Dunham 2. Sarah Paulson 3. Julia Roberts

• Love 1

Modern Family ( like the nominated Downton Abbey) is fine to watch when I am wasting time, but there are so many better comedies out there. Some of which were not even nominated like Brooklyn 99, Parks and Rec, and I am sure others.

This is my problem with its continued success. Brooklyn 99 and Parks and Rec were both snubbed. Bob's Burgers probably should be in that conversation too, though I would never really expect it for an animated show. There is more interesting comedy on TV and Modern Family is so bland. I just would like to see something else take it because there are things out there that deserve it more.

As meh as the show was, Juliana won and I couldn't be happier. The Good Wife put out the best season of TV in my opinion. She's right to say that maintaining quality for 22 episodes is harder than 10 or 12. They're doing more and the show was so exciting, well-written and well-acted last year. I knew Josh and Christine would lose out to Breaking Bad, but I'm so happy Juliana picked up something as a tribute to the show last year.

• Love 4
Halle Berry looks gorgeous. Did Extant already premiere? I wasn't going to watch it anyway but I'm curious.

It premiered and is pretty awful.  I don't know what Halle was thinking, surely she can still get decent work?

Its not even that I dislike Modern Family. I actually still really like it. Its just...not THAT good.

I just get tired of any show winning year after year.  There are way too many repeats with these shows.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2

*evil cackle* I loved watching the Modern Family haters lose their mind! I love the show and still think it's funny, but I root for it every year partially because I think the hate is over the top. Though I can sympathize. I remember when Frasier won it's fourth and fifth Emmy thinking "Are you kidding me?" Glad MF tied the record.

My frustration is that every category is this way.

5 in a row for Modern Family

4 out of the last 5 for Jim Parsons

the last 3 for Julia Louis-Dreyfus

the last 2 for Breaking Bad

It makes them meaningless because there is no way that this many shows and actors hold up year after year to be superior to everything else.

• Love 1

OK, so did anyone get the feeling that Bryan Cranston took the kiss farther than Julia Louis Dreyfus expected? I just got a feeling that she was uncomfortable and her interview backstage kind of proved it to me.

So happy that Breaking Bad won over True Detective. I watched True Detective and enjoyed its atmospheric quality, but thought it and Matthew were overrated.

LENA HEADEY LOOKED STUNNING. BEST DRESSED OF THE NIGHT! GO GIRL!

I am sort of on the fence about Juliana's 22 episode comment. Yes that is harder but I also remember when network TV's show would air 35 episodes in a season. I imagine that was even harder quality to maintain.

I am real surprised Matt Bomer lost. I did not see The Normal Heart but every person who did raved about him.

As an AHS fan I am glad for Kathy and Jessica though I felt Coven was the weakest of the season's. Bonus I got to see Julia lose.

I assume Sarah Paulson wore that weird dress as some sort of homage to AHS being weird. I really don't know.

This is my problem with its continued success. Brooklyn 99 and Parks and Rec were both snubbed. Bob's Burgers probably should be in that conversation too, though I would never really expect it for an animated show. 

Just FYI, vibeology, there were separate categories for animated shows; those awards were given out at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards a few weeks ago. And Bob's Burgers won Outstanding Animated Program. :)

• Love 2

I am sort of on the fence about Juliana's 22 episode comment. Yes that is harder but I also remember when network TV's show would air 35 episodes in a season. I imagine that was even harder quality to maintain.

Except they didn't really maintain quality. What were the shows Seth named for the Emmys from the 70s? Columbo? Kojak? I think the best TV in the 70s were comedies and the dramas weren't as strong. Is The Waltons great TV? The Rockford Files? Police Story? 

The Good Wife is a rare thing where it really is exceptional TV, at the level with what HBO, Netflix, Showtime and AMC are putting out there, but double the product and with far more network pressure to be mainstream and popular. I'm not even saying that every season of The Good Wife is worthy of raves, but this last one was. The show took several huge risks and the cast and crew delivered big time. It was the best 22 episodes I have seen of a drama in a very, very long time. (Season two of The West Wing is probably the last time network dramas have been that good and tense and emotional.) Does doing more mean it should automatically win? Not for me, but doing more and doing it so well should count. I have no problem with BB winning. It does bug me that Downton Abbey (which has almost become Pretty Little Liars with British accents at this point) took the nod The Good Wife deserved. I'm glad Juliana won something so the show's spectacular season got some recognition. (If Tatiana Maslany had been nominated I would have been rooting for her; she was really robbed.) Its just easy to maintain quality over a shorter span of time. When you're only talking 8 episodes, one person can direct all of them and keep things consistent. its easier for an actor to keep a performance fresh when you only film for three months instead of six or eight. 

• Love 5

Modern Family...again

Bryan Cranston...again

Julia louis-Dreyfus...again

Jim Parsons...again

Why do I even bother?

I don't watch Modern Family or Veep, so I have no idea if they are deserving or not.  I don't mind the same show winning repeatedly if the show is deserving.  It's supposed to be the Best Series or the Best Performance by an Actor or Actress, etc.  If the same people winning year after year are truly the best, then I'm glad that the voters are voting accordingly.  I don't want award shows to just give out awards to new shows simply because they are new.  I want the best shows and actors, writers, etc., to win.

Bryan Cranston (who had not won an acting Emmy since 2010) won again because he was smart and submitted the right episode.  "Ozymandias" was stunningly good.  If he had selected the Breaking Bad finale episode, "Felina," I think he might have lost out to Matthew.  The fact is that "Ozymandias" was a stellar piece of work -- for Bryan, for Anna Gunn and for Aaron Paul (although Aaron submitted a different episode for his acting performance), as well as for Moira Walley-Beckett, the writer.  I would have been suspicious if that episode had not earned the show some of its final Emmys -- it was that good.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 9