Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

How dare they have Ed Asners tribute shown in the background of the singers and they don’t use his “I treasure you people” quote from the Mary Tyler Moore show!

I was watching and I didn't even catch his :(. Terrible, what a shame.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I was watching and I didn't even catch his :(. Terrible, what a shame.

Okay rewinding now to see Ed Asner..........

God some of these people are superimposed on Boats..........houses.........

Watching......

Ah I see him.  Very very very short shot.

• Love 1

Mare lost.

Shocker!

Kate is probably pissed :).  

I liked The Queen's Gambit even better than Mare, so that's pretty cool.

The winners were so so so white this year though.  Ted Lasso and The Crown won almost everything and it's just so boring.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Oh they’re cheering for you Miss Angela.

I’m glad they changed the final award. They usually end with Drama and the implication that it’s more important than the other categories when that isn’t the case. If they start rotating it it’ll be more interesting and equalizing. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, they're save Mare of Eastown's... sorry, Best Limited Series for last?

This was a very odd choice for the last award but yes, I think they thought Mare would win and Oscar winner Kate Winslet would go up.

It's a little like when the Oscars decided to present Best Actor last thinking it'd go to Chadwick Boseman and then it didn't.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 10

I really didn't like the directing of this.  After the winners' speech, they go directly to the losers of that category to see their faces.  This is not normal or traditional or needed.  I don't need to see their reactions.  It seems like adding insult to injury.

• Love 5
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

I’m glad they changed the final award. They usually end with Drama and the implication that it’s more important than the other categories when that isn’t the case. If they start rotating it it’ll be more interesting and equalizing. 

It would be nice, but I figure they only did it this year because there was actually a little bit of doubt about who was going to win this time.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

They would never have Best Comedy last though.  I agree that Drama is not more important but Awards shows beg to differ.

7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They would never have Best Comedy last though.  I agree that Drama is not more important but Awards shows beg to differ.

I don't think that's true. I can't say for certain because I don't really keep track of this, but I'm almost positive they've presented Best Comedy last at least a few times. I have a distinct memory of one of the years Modern Family won that they were the final award of the night.

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, Rose McIver is no longer a zombie, but apparently dealing with ghosts now on her new CBS show.  I guess she'll tackle vampires next!

She may already have. She's battled a bunch of monsters. She was a Power Ranger before she landed IZombie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I don't think that's true. I can't say for certain because I don't really keep track of this, but I'm almost positive they've presented Best Comedy last at least a few times. I have a distinct memory of one of the years Modern Family won that they were the final award of the night.

I think that was the year of Glee vs. Modern Family (season 1 for both series)

The three best things I watched on "television" during the nomination period were:

The Queen's Gambit

Lovecraft Country

David Byrne's American Utopia

I was excited for the wins by TQG and disappointed that neither of the other two won anything tonight, although both won at the creative arts Emmys last weekend. I thought Michael K. Williams was a lock for Supporting and Jurnee Smollet gave an amazing, Emmy-deserving performance. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

What the hell is Sarah Paulson wearing?

I should have a recording of myself saying that because I say it each and every time I see Sarah Paulson at an event. I'm convinced that there are no mirrors in her home.

• LOL 9

I’m playing catch up so my comments aren’t in the thread in order, but my favorite reactions were the joy on Colbert’s face when they called him as winner and the mock rage Robin Thede was displaying at her table when her show lost to SNL. And whenever they showed Conan.

I could not tell if Jason Sudeikis was enjoying his night or not. He is either just very Zen or stunned. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, kib said:

Jennifer Coolidge needs some kind of patent and trademark protection of the phases "Oh wow" and "Ooooh" although it's unlikely anyone else now or in the future will come anywhere close to doing it as entertaining as she does.

She has never been funny.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SHD said:

I could not tell if Jason Sudeikis was enjoying his night or not. He is either just very Zen or stunned. 

He generally seems like a private guy, and he went through a pretty public breakup right before Ted Lasso blew up. His demeanor at all of these events has screamed, "Shucks, this is great, but the mother of my children left me for Harry Styles this year, and everyone knows it, and that kind of sucks."

• Love 7

So WandaVision didn't win crap.  Martin Scorsese and Jodi Foster are probably busting their buttons over this.

Anyway, how is Mare of whatever town?  My mother really wants me to watch it but I tried to watch the first episode and it was so dark and color muted and dank that it turned me off.

I do like that Hannah Waddingham won.  Shows that she was more than the Septa Unella on Game of Thrones.  And I like what she said about TV using more theater actors.  Now if they can only release that version of Into the Woods where she played the witch.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Anyway, how is Mare of whatever town?  My mother really wants me to watch it but I tried to watch the first episode and it was so dark and color muted and dank that it turned me off.

I really didn't like the first episode either.  But I stuck with it and I really liked the rest of the show.

I thought the show was a bit boring, and although there were some bits that were funny, the show just went on for way too long.

I'm disappointed that Emma Corrin got beat.  I like Olivia Colman, but the woman wins everything lately.  Their performances on "The Crown" were both fantastic this year, but I really thought Emma showed more range as Princess Diana than Olivia did as Elizabeth.  

I am happy for Josh O'Connor and Gillian Anderson.  But I am not a fan of Tobias Menzies and I hated his portrayal of Prince Phillip, and especially that Michael K. Williams lost.

Happy for Ewan McGregor but disappointed for Hugh Grant.  I am glad though that Paul Bettany didn't win.  I like him but I didn't find anything at all award-worthy in his portrayal of Vision.

I am not displeased that Kathryn Hahn did not win.  I think she is particularly overrated, her Agatha was nothing special.  And I truly hate that meme that is going around the internetz with her winking and throwing her head back.

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The winners were so so so white this year though.  Ted Lasso and The Crown won almost everything and it's just so boring.

I saw some talk in the media about "Emmys so white" like the "Oscars so white" from several years ago.  But I think that's simply a function of the fact that as you said, "The Crown" and "Ted Lasso" won almost everything.  "The Crown" in particular won all four acting awards.  When was the last time a show, comedy or drama, won all four acting awards?

The media is making a lot out of the fact that Michael K. Williams lost (which I admit was shocking and disappointing), Billy Porter lost (I don't think this was an upset as I think Josh O'Connor was a strong prediction by many), Michaela Coel lost for acting (I think Kate Winslet was always the favourite), that MJ Rodriguez lost (she was never going to beat either of the Crown ladies).

But RuPaul continued his dominance of the TV host and Best Reality Competition Show.  And Michaela Coel was recognised for writing, in what has to be considered a breakout year for her.

On the Creative Arts Emmys side, black actors won 7 of the 8 awards considered as acting awards (at least per Wikipedia, which I assume follows the official Emmys categorisation) - Guest Actor Comedy (Dave Chappelle), Guest Actress Comedy (Maya Rudolph), Guest Actor Drama (Courtney B. Vance), Character Voice Over (Maya Rudolph), Narrator (Sterling K. Brown), Actor in Short Form Series (JB Smoove) and Actress in Short Form Series (Keke Palmer).

So I don't necessarily agree with "Emmys So White", I think it's a matter of two shows dominating the competition.  If these were the best shows by far on either side, then I think they deserve to win the awards, regardless of racial makeup of the show.  I agreed with all of the wins for "The Crown" with the exception of Menzie and a puzzling award for Claire Foy as Guest Actress for her two minutes.  I thought "The Crown" was masterful this year.

• Love 3

I forgot to add that I am glad that "Hamilton" did not win any of the acting awards for limited series / TV movie.  I don't understand how it can win for "Best Pre-recorded Variety Special" but then its actors can be nominated for I suppose what they consider to be a TV movie.  If it's a variety special, then it's not a TV movie.  

I have similar observations as to the nominations for "Saturday Night Live", which to me should be considered a series since it is a weekly show and therefore seems like it does belong as a "comedy series".  But then it also won for "Best Variety Sketch Series".  It should be either one or the other.  And I think the "Best Variety Sketch Series" can possibly be eliminated, since there were only two nominees this year.

19 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Schitt’s Creek last year.

Thanks!  I did more research, apparently, some show called "The Caesar Hour" won all four acting awards in the late 1950s (supporting was not separated into comedy and drama at the time).  "Angels in America" swept the Limited Series acting awards.  And then "Schitt's Creek" last year was the first show to sweep all four of either the drama or comedy awards post-creation of those categories.  I was surprised that "Hill Street Blues" never did it, apparently it came close at least one time with 3 of 4.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:
9 hours ago, SHD said:

He generally seems like a private guy, and he went through a pretty public breakup right before Ted Lasso blew up. His demeanor at all of these events has screamed, "Shucks, this is great, but the mother of my children left me for Harry Styles this year, and everyone knows it, and that kind of sucks."

Totally agree.  It's interesting - with him being so public and funny on SNL, I get the strong feeling that he's a really modest Midwest guy who doesn't like the spotlight ONLY on him.  I loved that he thanked his parents first and said their names.  I really like Jason.  Hope his heart heals from the absolute heartbreak of Olivia.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Happy for Ewan McGregor but disappointed for Hugh Grant.  I am glad though that Paul Bettany didn't win.  I like him but I didn't find anything at all award-worthy in his portrayal of Vision.

I am not displeased that Kathryn Hahn did not win.  I think she is particularly overrated, her Agatha was nothing special.  And I truly hate that meme that is going around the internetz with her winking and throwing her head back.

I agree. I really enjoyed Wandavision, but only felt that Elizabeth Olsen really deserved the nomination. It's unfortunate that she was in probably the most stacked categories of the night.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ugh please just show the actors who have passed and play an instrumental.  The people singing should NOT be the focus of this.

18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The faces of these people superimposed onto couches and brick walls etc. is awkward and doesn't feel that respectful.

18 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I love Jon Batiste as much as the next person (okay - more than the next person), but we really didn't need to see him and Leon during the segment.  Especially because it made it so difficult to see the people they were paying tribute to.  

18 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

[...] This is the "In Memoriam" segment, not "two singers with the people being honored shown in the background."  Ugh.  Do better, Emmy producers.

I guess this point has been duly noted, but no one seems as OUTRAGED as I feel.  George Segal and Ed Asner were nothing more than background postage stamps on my screen--negligible set dressing for the musical performance.  I couldn't even recognize some of the little thumbnail photos because my poor tired eyes couldn't decipher the pale words printed across the 15% of the screen allotted to the memorial.

I hope the people who are responsible for that segment are ashamed and embarrassed.  And I include the musicians.  There was a rehearsal where camera angles were determined and either Batiste or Bridges could have demurred that honoring the departed should be the segment focus. 

"Let's go full screen for one or two dead guys to cover Jon switching to the piano."    Appalling.

(Also:  Michael Constantine, Tanya Roberts, Frank Bonner?  Two soap opera actors with a combined 40+ years in the genre; it was rude to exclude them.  And  I watch Lonesome Dove about once a year--RIP Larry McMurtry.)

• Love 5

My son watched the In Memoriam with me, and he will be telling stories about all the times I yelled at the screen.  So completely disrespectful.  Any musician worth their salt should turn the gig down completely or demand that they never be shown on camera while singing.  Better yet-just let the orchestra play.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

In addition to the Drama/Comedy rule modification:

• ..."The drama/comedy rule change: “Categorization based on program length for a comedy or drama series has been eliminated...."

Limited Series are being more clearly defined:

• ...the Academy has further clarified that a limited series’ “story arc must be completely resolved within its season, with no on-going storyline and/or main characters in subsequent seasons,” and that “subsequent seasons of a limited series must cover completely new ground, requiring no knowledge of the events of the previous season.”

I like that both of these changes are not about money or time related to the awards but just changes that probably both viewers and creators have seen were needed.

I wonder if Barry will still be a comedy or will it be a drama now? Yes, Bill Hader is a comic, but his 35-or-so minute episodes have been mostly drama. 
But a lot of comedies often have a lot of drama, like Young Sheldon.
So maybe Barry will keep the Comedy categorization.

• Useful 2