Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

I'm also playing solitaire in another tab.

Unless they're wearing something especially egregious, hilarious, or hideous, I tend to leave the partners alone if they're not show biz folk themselves. If someone shows up in a clown suit or something, though, they're fair game.

Melissa McCarthy's dress is quite nice but I wish it was a different color.

Holy crao what is Sarah Paulson wearing?!

Edited by ABay

Oh my gosh, Melissa McCarthy looks not horrible for once. Her hair is curled very simply. She's is a cute black dress. It's a little juvenile but otherwise flattering.

How does Julia Louis Dreyfus look so good at her age? Amazing.

I need a closer look at Laura Prepon's dress. It looks terrible.

Is Octavia Spencer wearing a toga?

Is Sarah Paulson covered in cobwebs?

Sarah was dusting before she came and Debra Messing was attacked by a weedwhacker.

I don't understand the purpose of clutch cam.

It must feel weird to Lizzy Caplan to be wearing clothes. Thus the not wearing much clothes tonight.

JLD is obviously a wizard or bathes in virgins' blood. There can be no other explanation.

Edited by ABay

Are those sheer panels in Debra Messing's dress? I love it. Elegant and age appropriate. So far 1. Debra Messing 2. Laverne Cox. I wonder how Debra's new show The Mysteries of Laura is going to do. It doesn't look very good.

Kit Harrington rocking the man bun. 

Lizzy Kaplan looks great. I want a better look at that dress!

Klum is a bit meh today with the flappy cape thing.

Allison Janney's dress seems to be fitted beautifully but I don't think I like it. Is that velvet? With a bow?

Natasha Lyonne... so boring. Dark dress with lace sleeves? I don't care.

Oh, of course. It's Opening Ceremony. Pfft.

Edited by aradia22

Christina Hendricks' foundation garments, and I say this an amply endowed woman myself, are a testament to modern engineering.

Kit is a wee little man.

Mysteries of Laura looks dire. Two obnoxious children? No thanks.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

I want a better look at Christina Hendricks. It looks like her dress fits this time.

OK, not loving the one shoulder on Christina Hendricks but my God, her body. Also not loving the embroidery at the waist and her hair. It's making her forehead look big with her hairline that far back. And of course, nude nails. So exciting.

Yes! It looks like she shaved her forehead. She looked so washed out, too.

Kaley Cuoco stand up straight!

Just want to point out that I'm watching this and snarking while wearing cut off sweat pants and an ancient T shirt.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

What is the name of Jon Hamm's partner? I like the pattern on her magenta dress. 

Kate McKinnon's dress is nice but boring.

I want to see what Kaley Cuoco is wearing because I loved her dress last time. 

Hayden looks beautiful. Glowing. Not sure about showing all that skin on top but I like the goddess look of the hair and the dress.

Alexandra Daddario's hair and makeup are great. The dress? Not so much.

Damn it, Julie Bowen. I like her so much for being normal but I've yet to see her look really good at an awards show. Holy Scarlett O'Hara,  I swear I had curtains in that pattern.

Edited by ABay

I am wearing an ancient T-shirt as well. People who dress up to watch an awards show at home (who aren't having a party) are crazy.

Julie Bowen's dress is so confusing to me. It's hard to do a print on the red carpet. I think I don't hate it. I don't like the collar piece but I like that it's fitted for someone with a slim figure. Not like Taylor Schilling and Claire Danes who say I have no curves, let me wear a shapeless sack.

So far I think the trends are super fitted dresses and deep V's. 

I don't know the name of Jon Hamm's partner but I, too, liked her dress.

I did not recognize January Jones! Dress is OK, but someone up there, lend her a comb.

Other trends: red! And white!

Edited by ABay

The black lace helps Alexandra Daddario's gown but from the other side it looks like she's wearing a wrinkly body stocking. Not good.

Yeah, not in love with Klum's dress. Too late for the cape.

January Jones looks so young! I didn't recognize her. And she found something that didn't make her boobs looks terrible! So proud.

Oh my God, Giulana. You are the worst interviewer. Please stop talking.

Julia Louis Dreyfus: The Carolina Herrara is very simple but her body. Damn. Damn.

The one thing I don't like about Julia's look is the makeup. The nude lip washes her out and the dark eye makeup ages her.

Hey, E! be a little quicker with the labels, huh? I don't watch many of the nominated shows and I'll be damned if I'm taking my TV off mute while any of your people are speaking.

Amanda Peet looks so sad. That hair. That dress. No.

Hey, E! be a little quicker with the labels, huh? I don't watch many of the nominated shows and I'll be damned if I'm taking my TV off mute while any of your people are speaking.

It's OK. I'll help out. I can barely tolerate Giulana but the mute button gets pushed as soon as I see that hideous purple hair on the screen.

Ugh. Not a fan of Chelsea Handler. Just had to get that out there.

• Love 1

Olivia de Havilland! That's what Klums cape reminds me of--it flutters out like OdH's medieval wimple in Robin Hood.

Kerry Washington's dress...did her kids glue those sparkly strips on for her?

Edited by ABay

The dress that Zac designed for Heidi does not look like a Zac dress. It might just be the coral but I think Claire Danes might have worn something similar a previous year. She looks very thin.

Kerry Washington, what the heck are you wearing?

Klum: More nude nails. Sigh...

Lena, Lena, Lena. WTF?

I just...WTF?

Who would look in a mirror with that on and say "That's IT! That's the one I simply must have!"

Also, the make up and profile make her look like a blond Liza.

Edited by ABay

Lena Dunham's shirt/dress bodice is doing nothing for her. Where did her breasts go? Why is it so wrinkly? I don't mind the bowl cut and the peter pan collar but that top really doesn't fit her. I want to see the skirt! Stop chattering.

Sarah Silverman with another crazy deep V. "I don't get paid enough to ask questions. I just put a microphone and ask you to do the work." At least you can admit it, Giuliana. I think the V is a little too deep but it's nicely fitted.

Also, it's weirdly similar to the terrible dress Korina designed this week on Project Runway.

Matthew McConnawhatever is heading off to deal poker on a river boat right after the ceremony.

Sara Hyland is lovely but the top of her outfit should be more fitted.

Edited by ABay

See... this is why I can't watch Jimmy Fallon's show. He seems like a nice guy and he comes up with some good segments but actually watching an hour of him makes my brain feel like it's melting.

I need a full-length shot of Camila Alves. I think I like it but it depends what the cutouts look like.

Sarah Hyland feels like she's late for the Met Ball.

Kiernan Shipka's dress feels sad. What is that fabric?

Keke Palmer is also rocking the boob horns. How did the Project Runway rejects predict this?

Let's place bets on when Keke's tatas are going to fall out of that dress.

Hayden's wearing mesh on the top, to allay your worries about so much skin.

Edited by ABay

Natalie Dormer doesn't have the most exciting dress but she's working it with the hair and the poses. 

Also, I take back the nice things I said about Melissa McCarthy's dress. The skirt is not doing her any favors.

Love that Anna Chlumsky went for the Evita pose in the Glam Cam 360.

Hayden's wearing mesh on the top, to allay your worries about so much skin.

I noticed. But it's sheer so you can still see everything. Still, the more I look at it the more I like it. It feels kind of earth mother-y in a way. 

I want to get a better look at the woman from Downton Abbey who also went with color. I think her name is Michelle.

Also, are they going to play Ariana Grande for every commercial break?

Thanks, maraleia!

Natalie's dress looks very 70s to me. I think it's the design in the middle

Yeah, that looked to be Michelle Dockery..

Nononono! You cannot make me like Jessica Pare! But I do like that dress and that she wore a necklace.

Lena's skirt looks like it got caught in the back of her underwear. Headey, not Denham.

Edited by ABay

Jessica Pare looks very French. The dress isn't that impressive but she looks great in it.

Lena Headey looks so matronly. It's both the dress and the hair. The dress is so strange. It seems like something a Project Runway contestant didn't have time to finish.

Allison Williams, our future Peter Pan... I was going to comment but the camera ran away. Get it together, Camera Guy! I would like to see Kate Mara's dress please! What are you doing?

Oh, Misslindsey wait until you see Dunham's dress. One of the online sites must have a full shot of it by now.

That's offensive to boxes of rocks, maraleia.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Katherine Heigl is also in a matronly dress but it kind of works. It fits her new role in... I think... State of Affairs.

I feel like Seth with be a perfectly mediocre host. He was OK on Weekend Update but not fantastic. I watched all of The Awesomes but it's nothing revolutionary.

I decided I like Camila's dress.

Us Magazine has a pick of Lena's dress since E! is slacking. OH MY GOD. What is that monstrosity?

Claire Danes looks less awful than usual.

Oh, Misslindsey wait until you see Denham's dress. One of the online sites must have a full shot of it by now.

Just looked it up. Oh my God. What was she thinking? It is like Little Bo Peep or Kaylee's pink dress from Firefly.

The thing with Camila's dress is you know exactly where people will be looking.

DUnham. With a U. Why do I keep typing it with an E...

Edited by ABay

OMG -- I don't know if anyone posted this previously, but Guiliana Rancic looks sickly.  Seriously, I'm not making fun of her, it's more of a concern - she is so thin.  Someone (her husband, family or staff) need to intervene.  

Oh, here you all are!  It took a while to find the thread.  Agree that Guiliana looks like she needs some R&R.  Hope she is well. 

Just saw Claire Danes' red dress with sheer midriff panels -- she looks beautifully elegant, and so athletically slim! 

Are those butterflies around Claire Dane's neck? They look so dark and heavy. Still, it's a good job considering what she normally shows up in.

Kristen Wiig. I feel like she's trying to do a Julia Louis Dreyfus or a Sarah Silvermann and the best thing I can say is at least she didn't choose another nude dress to wash her out.

Lucy Liu looks lovely. I think the fabric is a little thin but the bodice looks great. Love the pleating.

I hate Kerry's dress. It looks like she bought it at Forever 21. 

Kerry Washington...that is one fugly dress The color is ugly, the piping looks like it was glued on, and the midriff is sagging.

Juliana Margulies looks good.

There;s Lizzy, for you aradia.

Edited by ABay

Julianna Margulies looks fantastic! She's turning things around with the last gown she wore with the gold embellishments and this one. (I've hated her dresses in the past.)

I love Lizzy Caplan's dress. It's like a grown up version of the one Hallie Steinfeld wore to the Met Ball.