Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

I asked for this thread--so here it is!  For fans who want to root for True Detective, Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan to win.  Or for any of your favorite shows or actors.

• Love 1

Thanks for the thread, susannot!  I wanted a place to shake my head over Connie Britton's nomination for Nashville.  I don't think her performance there is anything to write home about.  Am I missing something?

I was always much more of a Coach rather than a Mrs. Coach fan, though.  Kyle Chandler was spectacular in FNL.  Mrs. Coach had her moments, but now that I've seen the actress in more roles, she doesn't seem to have too much variety in her (in my opinion).

There are a lot of big shows that I haven't watched yet, and I still haven't gotten into Mad Men  (I keep stopping after the second episode).  However, Elisabeth Moss is a sentimental favorite.  I've loved her since her West Wing days.  Must catch up on her later work.

When are the nominees being announced?  I'd hate to miss Tatiana Meslaney being snubbed live.  It's much more satifying yelling at my TV than it is yelling at my laptop.

July 10, I believe.  I feel the same way about what I'm sure will be a snub for Melissa McBride.

• Love 1

I just want to know who's going to be hosting.  As long as it's not Ellen Fricking Degeneres, I'm good.

Seth Meyers is hosting the Emmys this year, which will be airing August 25th this year, earlier than normal due to NBC's Sunday Night Football commitments.

I suspect my yelling at the tv will involve the inevitable snubbing of all things The Americans.

• Love 1

If it's not on HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime, it doesn't exist as far as the nominators are concerned.  They've had a permanent hard-on for cable programs for decades (and ironically, the ACE Awards once existed because the nominators tended to snub cable shows before the ACE Awards existed!).

• Love 1

It's the network that decides the placement. HBO decided True Detective was strong enough to compete in the drama series category, even though it follows the same American Horror Story rule that allowed FX to say that show belonged in miniseries- where the cast is replaced and it comes back with a whole new story every season.

That paves the way for FX to easily win the Miniseries category this year with Fargo, while HBO is going to try its luck against Breaking Bad over in drama. There's no hard and fast rule for anything- basically the networks get to place their shows wherever they want.

• Love 1

With the proliferation of channels and other content delivery mechanisms, the Emmys just become more and more meaningless over time, don't they?  Nobody but paid critics can seem to keep up with new programming in real time.  How do Emmy voters, who are busy working and may actually watch less TV than the average PTV poster, supposed to take note of what's really award-worthy?

That said, I gave up on True Detective after four episodes (dismal, overwrought and convoluted -- and I loathe Woody Harrelson's marble-mouthed mug), so I'm  dismayed that it seems a lock for everything under the sun.  Put me down for The Americans

• Love 2

That paves the way for FX to easily win the Miniseries category this year with Fargo, while HBO is going to try its luck against Breaking Bad over in drama. There's no hard and fast rule for anything- basically the networks get to place their shows wherever they want.

Putting True Detective in "Drama" also solves the issue of True Detective and The Normal Heart not going head-to-head with each other and HBO can push for wins in both categories.  While I think Fargo was terrific, I don't think it's a lock since the category is "movies and miniseries."  HBO will put its resources behind The Normal Heart. 

I'd love to have seen Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White or anyone from Shameless get some Emmy love but given the move to comedy category I'm not optimistic.

Nominations are announced on Thursday.

I think Macy has a shot, mostly because the contending field for Lead Actor in a Comedy isn't all that deep, at least compared to some of the other acting categories.

The Normal Heart should be a shoo-in for a boat load of nominations. The HBO machine is massive.  Ruffalo in Lead Actor, Mantello and Bomer for Supporting. Maybe even Jim Parsons as well, although he'll probably get his usual Sheldon nod, so probably not both. Julia Roberts for supporting actress. 

I'd love to see some of the supporting actors in Veep get nominated, as well. That show has me rolling and rewatching to hear the lightning fast quips that I missed the first time I watched it. 

No Tatiana Maslany and the lack of love for Brooklyn Nine-Nine (with the exception of Andre's nod), has left me highly disappointed. But I really should have saw it coming.

Looking on the bright side of things, glad Fargo and True Detective got some love, and thrilled that Lena Headey got a nod.  I think she's very underrated on Game of Thrones, so I'm glad she's getting some recognition.

• Love 2
(edited)
the lack of love for Brooklyn Nine-Nine (with the exception of Andre's nod), has left me highly disappointed.

I was really hoping that since the comedy Lead Actor field isn't the deepest that Andy Samberg could sneak in there, especially being the Golden Globe winner, but I guess not.  

I'm actually a little surprised that Orange is the New Black decided to field so many actresses in the Guest Actor category instead of the Supporting Actress category, and I'm really, really surprised that of the three they nominated, Laverne Cox was in over Lorraine Toussaint, just because Laverne was almost a non-entity for season 2.  I hope they don't cancel each other out, because I thought Uzo Aduba was phenomenal, and I think she probably could have competed in the Supporting Actress category.  

I think that, once again, Lead Actor is a Dramatic Series is going to be one of the tightest races.  Cranston, Hamm, McConaughey or Spacey could win, and I would at least find it satisfying.  

As for happy surprises?  I'm beyond thrilled that Kate McKinnon was able to get a Supporting Actress nomination, and even though I couldn't stand her on SNL, Kristen Wiig completely deserves her nomination for Spoils of Babylon.  I'm also thrilled that Jesse Tyler Ferguson got nominated again for Modern Family, because I think he is completely underrated on the show.  And I like that "Best Reality Host" finally got a shakeup this year.     

Edited by Princess Sparkle

Count me in as another pissed about the lack of recognition for Tatiana Maslany. The person giving the best performance on television not being nominated for television's top award makes it impossible to take them seriously.

I'm actually a little surprised that Orange is the New Black decided to field so many actresses in the Guest Actor category instead of the Supporting Actress category, and I'm really, really surprised that of the three they nominated, Laverne Cox was in over Lorraine Toussaint, just because Laverne was almost a non-entity for season 2.  I hope they don't cancel each other out, because I thought Uzo Aduba was phenomenal, and I think she probably could have competed in the Supporting Actress category.  

The window of eligibility for Emmy nominations is June 1 - May 31, so Season 1 is the only season eligible, since Season 2 premiered in June. I sure hope Lorraine Toussaint is recognized next year!  Also, I believe Uzo Aduba wasn't a series regular in Season 1 which explains the Guest Actress nomination, though I would think she's most definitely the front runner.

Seriously, who do I have to do to get Nick Offerman nominated? Ron Freaking Swanson!

I am surprised that Downton Abbey still gets nominations. It is like a slightly elevated soap opera. I watch it, but do not think it is great television, especially when there are so many great dramas out there that I think deserve the accolades more.

I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I do not think that Kerry Washington deserves a nomination. I do watch Scandal, but in no way think it is great. It is so over the top. Bellamy Young might have deserved a nom, but not Kerry.

I wish the Emmy's would get over their love for Modern Family. It is still amusing, but I think Brooklyn 99, Veep, Parks and Rec, The Mindy Project, and others are so much better at the moment.

• Love 1
The window of eligibility for Emmy nominations is June 1 - May 31, so Season 1 is the only season eligible, since Season 2 premiered in June. I sure hope Lorraine Toussaint is recognized next year!  Also, I believe Uzo Aduba wasn't a series regular in Season 1 which explains the Guest Actress nomination, though I would think she's most definitely the front runner.

Ahhhh - that makes sense.  I totally forgot season 2 didn't premiere until June.  I was getting so confused!  Now all those nominations make total sense, and I'm for them 100% (I'm sure the Emmy voters were waiting for my approval).

Seriously, who do I have to do to get Nick Offerman nominated? Ron Freaking Swanson!

I am surprised that Downton Abbey still gets nominations. It is like a slightly elevated soap opera. I watch it, but do not think it is great television, especially when there are so many great dramas out there that I think deserve the accolades more.

I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I do not think that Kerry Washington deserves a nomination. I do watch Scandal, but in no way think it is great. It is so over the top. Bellamy Young might have deserved a nom, but not Kerry.

I wish the Emmy's would get over their love for Modern Family. It is still amusing, but I think Brooklyn 99, Veep, Parks and Rec, The Mindy Project, and others are so much better at the moment.

I'm so glad I'm not alone on Kerry Washington! She is good, but not great. I would have loved to see some recognition for Bellamy though.

Considering the Emmys undying love for Downton Abbey and Modern Family, I'm inclined to believe the voters are just my mother.

• Love 2

I'm really happy for Matt Bomer and everybody from The Normal Heart.

I want Jon Hamm to win an Emmy this year. And I can't believe Hannibal didn't get a nomination. That show is amazing!

I am surprised that Downton Abbey still gets nominations.

ITA. I mean, the acting is usually good, but the show itself doesn't deserve an Emmy at all.

• Love 1

I'm so bummed out with no more Brooklyn Nine-Nine nominations and nothing for Tatiana Moslany.  I'm so over Downton Abbey and Modern Family taking up perfectly good nominations.  It's like the academy doesn't even watch current TV programming, they just check to see that the same shows are still on the air and nominate them. I don't even feel the need to watch this year's program.

• Love 1

I'm so glad I'm not alone on Kerry Washington! She is good, but not great. I would have loved to see some recognition for Bellamy though.

Considering the Emmys undying love for Downton Abbey and Modern Family, I'm inclined to believe the voters are just my mother.

Thirded on Kerry (no opinion on DA/MF), I don't think she's that good to merit a nomination. But the nomination that takes the wtf cake is Kate Mara.

(edited)

Interesting how "Hollywood Game Night" is in the "Reality Show - Competition" category, and not considered a Game Show. A more prestigious choice, I'm assuming the producers thought.

ETA: Actually, it's Jane Lynch nominated for Best Host: Reality/Competition, not the show itself. My apologies, but the show is still a game show, in my book. Just a fancy, schmancy evening one.

Edited by A Boston Gal

So looks GoT took a page from the MF book of submitting its actors/actresses in the supporting categories.

Not a single network drama in the best category.

All those acting noms for The Normal Heart, but not in the "best movie".

(edited)
All those acting noms for The Normal Heart, but not in the "best movie".

The Normal Heart did make it in for Best TV Movie.

But the nomination that takes the wtf cake is Kate Mara.

No kidding; and screen-time aside, she's by far the weakest actor on the show.  Plus, I'm still bummed that Corey Stoll didn't sneak in as a nominee last year.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

Add me to those so disappointed about Tatiana Maslany's omission.  I confess, I don't watch a lot of the nominated shows (and I feel like I watch a lot of tv) so I don't really care about the majority of these awards.  But I was really rooting for TM to score a nomination.

I am happy for Matt LeBlanc because I do love Episodes and I think he's awesome on it; I'm so glad it's not totally overlooked.

I think the only other award that, off the top of my head, I'm disappointed in is the lack of noms for either Vikings and/or Arrow in Stunt Coordination, because both those shows kill it.

• Love 2

Every year I'm upset about Emmy nominations. You think I would've learned by now. Popularity and buzz surrounding a TV show/TV movie is often more important than quality. I would love to see lesser-known actors or shows represented if they indeed represent some of the best shows and actors on TV. Tatiana Maslany is not unknown, but she's relatively new to the American audience, so she isn't viewed as an established acting powerhouse. Which she is! So unfair.

• Love 1

Dear Emmys (yes, it's one of those posts),

I am willing to tolerate Modern Family being nominated for and winning every award under the sun. I still enjoy it most of the time. But can you at least pretend that shows like Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine have a chance? I know they're not ratings hits, nor are they hot cable/Netflix shows (and on that note: seriously, Silicon Valley for best comedy? I watched the whole season and was severely disappointed.) but you can still show them more respect than just a token nomination for Amy Poehler year after year (I'm guessing you're planning the same for Andre Braugher). Also, please keep the SNL nominations to a minimum in the guest star categories.

One more thing: Am I the only person on Earth who remembers that Conan is still on the air and is still funnier than all the other talk shows? I don't mind that The Daily Show and The Colbert Report win every year, they're brilliant in their own way. I'm just saying it's an option.

Respectfully-ish descending from my high horse,

Brandi Maxxxx

• Love 4

As I posted in the Orphan Black thread, it is ironic that Tatiana M's real life boyfriend is one of Lady Mary's suitors, even though all she does is walk around with a sour puss. This seems to be Michelle D's major acting choice.  It seems a real snub when the winner of the Critic's choice for acting doesn't even get an Emmy nom.

• Love 2
(edited)

Given that so many nominees are from premium cable channels I can't afford, I will once again be watching for a glimpse of actors I like on non-nominated shows. And, of course, in the hope that someone will make a complete ass of him/herself on stage or the red carpet.

ETA: And to cheer on TDS, TCR, and @midnight which were all nominated.

Edited by ABay

I'm laughing about Fred Armisen nominated as supporting actor in Portlandia. He's in every scene. I understand why anyone would want to avoid the lead categories but really? 

I'd join you but I'm pretty sure laughing at Fred Armisen would be going against everything I stand for.

• Love 2
The Normal Heart did make it in for Best TV Movie.

The list I saw just said "Best Miniseries/Movie" and I didn't see it listed.  I found another report which actually separated the two and yes, The Normal Heart was listed under "Movie", the list I saw previously was only the Miniseries.

(edited)

Very happy to see Treme sneak into the miniseries catagory.  Bonnie & Clyde though...the hell?  

They could have replaced the DA nom in the Drama series with Masters Of Sex. I have to wonder sometimes if a Masterpiece series gets nommed just because it's on PBS and well you know...intended highbrow nomination.  I'm probably going nowhere with that, it's a YMMV type of feeling.  And yay to Lizzie Caplan!  Very happy to see her included.  

Wow, I guess I really need to sit and watch House of Cards and Orange/New Black now.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 1

I'm laughing about Fred Armisen nominated as supporting actor in Portlandia. He's in every scene. I understand why anyone would want to avoid the lead categories but really? 

The academy has this stupid rule that if you're a cast member of a sketch show you can only be submitted in the Supporting categories, which is why Amy Schumer was on the Supporting Actress ballot even though her name is in the title of her show. Stupid rule.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I would be mad on Emmy nomination day about the lack of nominations for The Americans, and I still am, but I had such little hope for anything that it's hard for me to work up the energy to get too pissed off when I knew it probably never had a shot. The same is true with Tatiana Maslany, I wish it wasn't that way, though.

I am very happy with all the nominations for Fargo. I also liked that Silicon Valley got a Best Comedy nomination, especially since one of the shows it beat out was Girls.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Normal Heart IS nominated for Best Television Movie. It's up against Killing Kennedy, Muhammed Ali's Greatest Fights, Sherlock and Trip to Bountiful. 

The Best Supporting Actor in a Movie or Mini-Series has FOUR Normal Heart actors (sorry Taylor Kitsch, not you). All were wonderful, but Matt Bomer HAS to have the edge, right?  Joe Mantello would probably be the one who could win in the upset. 

And NO Bellamy Young? What-in-the-ever-loving-fuck. 

Unfortunately, it's a lot of the same old, same old, as far as the series (and acting in a series) nominees are concerned. SO over Lena Dunham. 

I'd join you but I'm pretty sure laughing at Fred Armisen would be going against everything I stand for.

I swear that he sucks the funny out of everything he's in. The only SNL sketch that he participated in that I actually laughed at was when he portrayed the NY governor and wandered around the Weekend Update set, bumping into things. And I'm ashamed that I laughed at it. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

If Bryan Cranston has any sense (and I think he does), he submitted a scene from the "Ozymandias" episode of Breaking Bad for Emmy consideration.  (Anna Gunn hopefully submitted her work in that episode as well.)  He has already won 3 Emmys for playing Walter White, though he has not won in 4 years.  Some of his finest work was in those final 8 episodes!

Even though Coven was a ridiculous season, I was kind of glad to see that all of the main actresses (except for the younger girls at the witch school) from American Horror Story were nominated.  I would love to see Kathy Bates' head accept an award!

• Love 1

Best Comedy Series: Don't watch any of them besides the occasional episode of Modern Family though Louis, Orange, and Veep are on my list of things to binge watch.

Best Actress: Seriously, what the heck could Melissa McCarthy be doing in Mike and Molly to get a nomination? This is like when they nominate one of the guys from Two and a Half Men. Lots of repeats so there's no one to really root for. I guess I'm just going to be anti-Lena since I find her annoying in interviews (print and in person).

Best Actor: I do not watch any of these shows.

Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Andre Braugher. Done.

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: And...again, nothing.

Best Drama Series: Nope. Don't watch any of them. 

Best Actress in a Drama Series: I've got nothing here either. I guess I'm anti-Claire Danes. Because I'm always anti-Claire Danes.

Best Actor in a Drama Series, Supporting Actor Drama, Supporting Actress Drama: OK, I know I need to catch up on my prestige television but seriously, guys, try nominating different people.

Best Miniseries or Movie: Well this is super interesting. I wanted to watch The White Queen but I don't get Starz. And I heard Bonnie & Clyde was terrible. I might try and watch it on Netflix before the Emmy's. Wouldn't it have been fabulous if they had nominated Flowers in the Atiic?

Best Actress Miniseries or Movie: How the heck did HBC sneak in there for Burton and Taylor? Was that even aired in the US? Also, someone watched The Spoils of Babylon? 

Best Actor Miniseries or Movie: Come on, guys. Try harder. These should not be your choices for miniseries or movie.

Supporting Actor Miniseries or Movie: I guess the upset will be if someone from The Normal Heart doesn't win. But this has happened in other categories before. I think Enchanted got a ton of nominations in Best Original Song and then lost at the Oscars. They could split the vote.

Supporting Actress Miniseries or Movie: Ahahaha! Flowers in the Attic is on the board! Love it!

Outstanding Animated Program: One of the coolest categories.

Outstanding Host: Reality TV Competition: Guys, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Skipping reality and variety...

Children's Program: WTF, guys? WTF?

Why no love for Hayden P on Nashville?

• Love 1

Thanks for this thread!  I needed to vent to people who are similarly obsessed with television. 

Leaving out the lead actress from Orphan Black: insanity.  I get it, because the Emmys are more about validating television as a medium than recognizing greatness, and this actress can't do that yet, but still, it sucks. 

That aside, there are two things that bug me with this:

First, I can't stand mixing cable/premium cable with broadcast, and adding Netflix into the mix makes it even worse.  Premium channels, Netflix- they offer so many creative advantages it's absurd to even try and compare them with shows designed for the masses, shows that are designed to be repeatedly interrupted so we can be sold products.  Seems like an unfair comparison, imho. 

Second- when did they get so many different categories for reality television shows?  And what the hell is "structured" vs. "unstructured?"  

More importantly- how can reality get subcategories while we're still stuck with this catch-all called "drama?"  Why not separate the episodic (to the extent those still exist) from the serialized, if nothing else?  Or get bold, throw in a sci-fi/fantasy category.

One stupid serious question- how did the women from "Orange" wind up in the Guest Actress category?  I tried to watch the show because I felt like I should but got bored by episode 4.  Are they not regulars?

• Love 2
One stupid serious question- how did the women from "Orange" wind up in the Guest Actress category?  I tried to watch the show because I felt like I should but got bored by episode 4.  Are they not regulars?

Of the three nominated for guest, two were promoted to regular for S2, but they were all only recurring in S1.

• Love 1