Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Mother's Mercy

• Start Topic

They're both daughters of great houses. Sansa is theoretically an heiress, sure, but at the time Baelish has possession of her her heir status is more theoretical than real, and requires considerable exertion to redeem, whereas Lysa grants her husband immediate Lord Protector status over a major military region. Sure, you can quibble this way and that, but if Baelish is considered a fit husband for Lysa, he should realistically be a fit husband for Sansa, particularly if he's bringing her major military assets that she'd need to actually reclaim her home.

Yes, they are both daughters of great houses. And Lysa is a widow with fertility issues, who already has a son. Sansa is a teenager and a virgin. That's not quibbling, that's observing the points they brought up in dialogue. Further, it's a mistake to categorize them similarly just because both of their fathers were Lords Paramount.

Lysa: younger Tully daughter, has a brother, has an Arryn son. Heck, Sansa might even have a better claim to Riverrun than her, since Cat was older. Any titles she has are by virtue of her husband or her son. Another person currently holds the Trident, but even if it were reverted back to her family, she'd be at best second in line.

Sansa: elder Stark daughter, and as far as anyone knows, has no brothers. Another person currently holds the North, but if reverted back to her family, she is Lady of Winterfell.

Who's fit to marry who is really not that fine a gradation.  For most of Westeros' history, the great houses married mainly their own bannermen.  The extensive intermarriage of great houses dates only to the era of Robert's Rebellion, and even then not that far.  Given that Baelish is now a major lord in his own right, and more importantly is instrumental in Sansa's rescue and her putative political rise, not to mention supply the soldiers she would need to retake the North, there's really no reason to think he wouldn't be considered a viable marriage prospect.  

In any event, her being married to Ramsay only affects the least-significant consideration in her marriage viability, that being that she was a virgin.  Being a widow really does not matter when you're a widow with a stupendously valuable theoretical inheritance, and anybody who objected to Baelish marrying her on those grounds would not care whether she had previously been married.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

"So how did you...?"

"Very carefully!"

"I'm glad the end of the world is working out for someone!"

Now that was some believable "End of the World" style dialogue between two guys. Jon+Sam, Westeros' real OTP (sorry Gilly)!

Well, I guess TPTB not only wanted to make everyone hate Stannis, but take away his only good qualities. He's a trained warrior - he would NOT saunter up to an enemy castle and then fight in completely the wrong formation (solid formation, with spears to the front when facing cavalry). At least he died talking about duty.

Arya - maybe carry out your mission first before doing your private 'project'. Though the scene back at the House of Black & White was very Empire Strikes Back.

Daario was actually pretty wise in his advice on who should go & who should stay in Mereen (whether that's good writing or completely out of character I'm unsure!). And Varys!

Hey Danny! Your boy needs to digest after a big meal! Nobody wants to fly straight after that!

And Mel is back in red again. Dunno if it means anything.

Benjen! Or... not. So 6 assassins and a bunch that stood watching? As I think I know how many [Spoiler!] are later executed, what happens to the other ones?

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 3:13 AM, sunflower said:

I don't know want her to be responsible for reviving Jon after her weird religion bullshit resulting in the burning murder of a child.

Yes, it would be like relying on the help of one of history's greatest mass murderers to defeat the Nazis.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 3:31 AM, SeanC said:

Arya's storyline finally got good (apart from the scene opening with Meryn beating the three girls; yeesh, why was that necessary?  We already know he's a villain

Well we need to know Meryn is a BAD GUY. So far he's only been a paedophile who beat up Sansa - who cares about that!?

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 3:42 AM, dbell1 said:

Dany bores me. Can't blame Drogon for ignoring her and wanting to nap.

He'd just been on a long flight and had a nice meal (judging by the charred bones beneath him) - who wouldn't be feeling a little sleepy?

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 5:34 AM, FemmyV said:

does anyone know where I can find a white dress & traveling cloak that will turn blue when coming into contact with dragon skin?

You might try Roman Originals on that one.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 3:06 AM, scarynikki12 said:

Ah, the sound of millions of heads exploding.  It's a rare show that can pull that off.

"Hey - that's MY thing!" - Oberyn Martell.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 8:48 AM, Hecate7 said:

Of course there would be blood even if it went very well. That's part of having babies.

I always remember Scrubs' take on childbirth.