Type keyword(s) to search

Stirring the Pot: Controversial Commercials

Lola16
  • Start Topic

If you want to try a truly awful carbonated beverage, look for Irn-Bru. My Publix carries it in the Brit Food section, in between the MexiFood and the Jewish Food.  (I wish they'd put Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup in the JewFood section, like they used to. Actually, it belongs next to the Hershey's syrup year-round, but when they do carry it, they stick it with the matzoh & gefilte fish.) It's not easy having Yankee taste buds in the south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru

• Love 4
On 4/17/2017 at 6:54 AM, smittykins said:

I haven't even seen an RC commercial since the "Me and my RC" campaign in the 70s.

What's good enough for other folks ain't good enough for me and my RC. 

My mom used to have a set of RC glasses, she loved that cola so much. 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, topanga said:

What's good enough for other folks ain't good enough for me and my RC. 

My mom used to have a set of RC glasses, she loved that cola so much. 

It used to be in every vending machine around here.

RC is still very big in the Chicago area. Mostly because we have a local bottling plant, and pizza places around here will still give you a free 1 Liter bottle with a large pizza, and a 2 liter bottle with an extra large. Here is actually a good article about it with some history of RC as well, with tidbits like they were the first cola company to offer the 1 liter bottle.

http://encyclopizzeria.com/pizzology/rc-cola-and-chicago-pizza/

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/9/2017 at 0:36 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Remember this ad?

You can buy for your girl

or give it to a squirrel

You can buy it by the case

or stuff it

in your

face!

I give up. Is it another RC cola ad? I wouldn't give it to a squirrel though. 

Edited by chenoa333
55 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

This really got me: "This is not about you getting a ticket. It's about you not coming home."

This may be an unpopular thing to say, but as a mother of a mixed race child I told my son when he was young that the police are not your friends, have as little as possible to do with them and if you have to interact with them it had better be "Yes Sir" this and "No Ma'am" that.  And to just stay away from them if at all possible.

• Love 10

I am a white female, and I know my privilege means I won't be stopped for imaginary "violations". My deadbeat father was a career police officer. I can tell you without a doubt that the police aren't your friends. I knew this roughly 40 years ago, and it certainly hasn't changed since then.

• Love 5

I don't think racists' heads are exploding. I think they just tune it out and ignore it.  And while I think it's a powerful ad, it's diminished by "My Black is Beautiful" at the end.  It seems so condescending & patronizing coming from a corporation that's probably run by a bunch of old white guys.  What's with the "my" ?  What about YOUR black? Is only MY black beautiful? It's a stupid statement and it takes away some power from the original ad.

• Love 6
On 8/1/2017 at 2:20 PM, CoderLady said:

This really got me: "This is not about you getting a ticket. It's about you not coming home."

Yeah, each segment is powerful, but that one especially.  (Also that she says, "When you get pulled over ..."  Not if.  When.)

Oh, and, yes, the racists are freaking their shit over this.  "Identity politics pandering."  "Black Lives Matter propaganda."  Well, that's from the National Review; the online commentary is less articulate.  Boycott P&G!  Because acknowledging racism is what's racist, you know.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, each segment is powerful, but that one especially.  (Also that she says, "When you get pulled over ..."  Not if.  When.)

Oh, and, yes, the racists are freaking their shit over this.  "Identity politics pandering."  "Black Lives Matter propaganda."  Well, that's from the National Review; the online commentary is less articulate.  Boycott P&G!  Because acknowledging racism is what's racist, you know.

Jesus wept.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Boycott P&G!  Because acknowledging racism is what's racist, you know.

The problem with the ad is that race is just one factor that goes into what a badged bully decides he can get away with, and breaking up the victims into groups helps perpetuate the issue,

• Love 1
On 8/3/2017 at 5:40 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think racists' heads are exploding. I think they just tune it out and ignore it.  And while I think it's a powerful ad, it's diminished by "My Black is Beautiful" at the end.  It seems so condescending & patronizing coming from a corporation that's probably run by a bunch of old white guys.  What's with the "my" ?  What about YOUR black? Is only MY black beautiful? It's a stupid statement and it takes away some power from the original ad.

But they aren't ignoring it.  They're actively posting malignant things.

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, chenoa333 said:

I give up. Is it another RC cola ad? I wouldn't give it to a squirrel though. 

No, it was for Ale 8, some sort of soda in the early 1980's with a punk/alternative song. I saw it in Tampa Bay, not sure where else.

33 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Hallmark has backed up on their removal of the ads

I hope the company  does NOT reverse its decision  to pull all their advertising from  The Hallmark  Channel.  Make it  an object lesson  on how the  market works. 😉

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

The two women in the pulled Hallmark ad appear again in this Zola ad. 

It looks like Zola saw the Aviation Gin ad with the Peleton actress and took notes. I wonder if this meta approach will be a new trend with commercials.

I don't understand what you're saying - that's not a new ad, that's the original Zola commercial Hallmark refused to air. 

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't understand what you're saying - that's not a new ad, that's the original Zola commercial Hallmark refused to air. 

Um...is the brunet bride the same girl as in the Peloton commercial? She has the same worried expression.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah. At second glance, I realized I made a mistake. I thought it was a different ad from the one that was being discussed.

• Love 1

I wonder if those same  million  moms got all agitated about the  lesbian kiss in the  Amazon commercial?  😉

Well, I for one am devastated, just devastated that such behavior is being normalized! And I will march, march, march with all my might until our children are shielded from such depravity!

Just kidding. I'm a big ole middle-aged lesbian and I'm glad to see that advertisers are beginning to realize that all couples are not the same.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Just kidding. I'm a big ole middle-aged lesbian and I'm glad to see that advertisers are beginning to realize that all couples are not the same.

@MMCORDAY my DD and her wife have the most wonderful children as do my DS and his wife. They are all loved and supported by the whole family equally. It is time for the negativity to stop.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Just saw an HIV pill ad where there was a male couple stroking each other's hands, plus one of the participants said, "Has not been studied in people assigned female."

The rednecks are going to plotz.

I saw that commercial too (I'm in the metro-Atlanta area). I can't wait for the freak-out.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Just saw an HIV pill ad where there was a male couple stroking each other's hands, plus one of the participants said, "Has not been studied in people assigned female."

The rednecks are going to plotz.

Think about the implications here.  This medication was not studied in people who are biologically female.  It was designed solely for use by those biologically male?  Only they get HIV?

Edited by elle
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

There are transgender men. 

But that still doesn't answer why it was not studied on women.  It does seem like so many medications get studied for men and women are the afterthought.  Perhaps there are valid reasons in this specific case but I too would wonder why.

• Love 4
Just now, PennyPlain said:

But that still doesn't answer why it was not studied on women.  It does seem like so many medications get studied for men and women are the afterthought.  Perhaps there are valid reasons in this specific case but I too would wonder why.

Oh, absolutely. Heart disease comes to mind. They never really studied it in women and a lot of women died because their doctors never even thought to look into it.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

But that still doesn't answer why it was not studied on women

It looks like biological women need a lot more of this drug (Truvada) to be as effective as the twice a week pill dosage recommended for men. This is a 2016 article: Truvada dosage variables

I'm no scientist, but I wonder if they can't do an apples-to-apples study (and advertise it truthfully) if the dosage is so different? Based on the quoted article, this drug works very differently on female parts.

• Useful 4
19 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

There's another medication called PreP that has been out a bit longer that looks to be available to both those assigned male and those assigned female at birth. 

I am struggling to phrase this correctly (please correct everything inaccurate and accept my apologizes for the inaccuracies) but aren't people assigned male at birth but do not identify as "male" and people who identify as a gay man at a higher risk of HIV than people who identify as CIS gender they were born? Perhaps that's the reason this drug has only been tested on people who were assigned male at birth, to start.