Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Charo/Jill Whelan

(edited)

Is her name actually Chair or is that a typo? I haven't known many of these celebrities, but Charo sounds oddly familiar.

Was going to edit to make it sound better, but OnceSane has already been responded.

Edited by Christina

Pretty sure someone named Chair would have been more interesting. Re-reading my comment, it could have came across mean and I didn't mean it like that. Just wanted to put that out there.

• Love 1

Every time I open this thread the freaking Love Boat theme song is going to get stuck in my head.  

Charo.  Every '70s show's (in a non-drama catagory) special guest star.  Her claim to fame is shaking her ass and being difficult to understand.  Think Sofia Vergara only not quite as comprehensible. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Charo is far more tolerable than Sofia Vegara IMO. I cannot stand Sofia and I often feel that she overdoes her accent.

Charo was working in Las Vegas and pulling in some serious money before she made the scene on 70s tv shows. She was reportedly paid as much as some of the big male singers who were headlining in Vegas.  She had actually started her tv stints in the late 60s, but became well-known by her 70s tv show appearances.

Jill Whelan was just on a L.A. morning show talking about her 30+ year friendship with Charo. Jill stated she and Charo had no idea they were both going to be doing this show together. They knew they were doing the show, just not with each other. Jill also stated she and Charo had seen each other shortly before filming. They were doing a show on a cruise ship, but they didn't have time to sit and talk with each other during their off-time. If they had, Jill would have mentioned filming that week for the "wife-swap show".

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was hoping Charo wouldn't be that annoying ALL the time. Oh, how wrong I was. She's exhausting. And like most people who need that much attention and adoration, she sure did get mean the second anyone suggested that she tone it down or let others shine sometimes. I've never liked her much, and this didn't change anything. Also, her nose job is as bad as a Jackson's.

Jill was boring but mostly harmless. It seemed like they tried to edit the game night to seem terrible, but really it was just Shel Jr. being sour.

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 5
(edited)

GreatKazu, I've always thought Charo over did her accent. I think She does have an accent but she plays it up. Way too much.

She's been living and working in the U.S. for decades, she shouldn't still be impossible to understand.

For the record, I think Vergara fakes hers too.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 7

Still trying to sit through this show.....Charo, ugh!  Too much, too much (and I agree with the poster upthread, that "Jackson" nose is ridiculous).  Five minutes of her is like a lifetime of fingernails on a chalkboard!

• Love 1

Charo is at least 70 years old.  Just look at her hands - my mother's hands looked better - and she was 80 when she died last year.  She couldn't tolerate Charo either - always changing the channel whenever she heard Charo screeching.  I remember my Mom saying Charo needed to spit the gravel out of her mouth.  And here we are decades later and Charo is just as bad as ever.  She is NOT cute - never was - never will be.  I had to watch it muted with the closed captioning on. 

• Love 2

By all accounts, Charo is Charo even when no one is looking. She raised her son in Hawaii because she didn't want him to be raised with Beverly Hills kids. Smart. Johnny Carson and Aaron Spelling loved her. She's a gifted guitarist, and she's still playing all over the world. If you want her to be still and quiet, watch her play in the clip above.

• Love 7

Cuchi cuchi overpowers the guitar for sure, but she's living out the American dream. Flamenco guitarists don't become famous in the U.S., and Spanish accents were barely allowed on English language TV even into the 1980s. She wasn't supposed to become famous. Neither was Arnold Schwarzenegger. On Wendy Williams' show she said she never became a regular on Love Boat because she made more money performing in Las Vegas. She knows what she's doing. Did you see that house?

• Love 4

I didn't really understand the view that Jill HAS to have a man.  does her sister have one?   both these stars have sisters who play second fiddle to them, and are pretty much their personal assistants/housekeeper/nanny?  or were they only doing it for the show?  

Charo has been annoying me for decades.   I just can't stand listening to her voice, and her focus on sex was just kind of weird and creepy .   I'm sure if Jill wanted to find a guy, she has positive qualities other than "big maracas". 

• Love 4

Actually one thing to be learned from this episode, specifically from Jill's sister Nancy, is that after a certain age, women need to re-evaluate their use of  frosted eye shadow.  

A little goes a long way. 

• Love 2