Type keyword(s) to search

The Greatest Mysteries Of The Show So Far

• Start Topic

And will they ever be solved?

First: I don't know if I'm posting well. This is the first time ever I start a thread on any forum, so please mods feel free to edit my post if it's wrong.

On the thread, since we're almost at the end of the season now and there has been major disappointments with a Show, I was thinking about all the mysteries and unanswered plots that we've had without resolved yet. The ones that come to mind immediately with no particular order are:

1. The freaking zombie hand!!!!: We have all wondered what the hell happened to it. I'd be ok if they just mention offhand how the hand died on the way and when everyone saw a dead hand they just thought it was crazy babbling of the Night's Watch and no one believes the WW and zombie talk. But please, for the love of God, at least say something about it!
  2. The Smoke Baby: That demon coming out of Mel's vagina has been for me one of the strangest and most disturbing things I have seen on the show. I know she said she wouldn't make another one with Stannis because his "fires were burning low" or something; but at least I'd like a bit more exposition about why she hasn't tried to make another one (as it was so useful and Stannis "fires" should be high again) and what happened to the first one.
  3. Who ordered Knifey attack on Bran: Did they ever say who? I always thought it had to be Jaimie and I don't know why everyone assumed it wasn't him only cause he said so. Some people say Littlefinger, but is he like God Omnipresent and Omnipotent?
  4. How more are the Dragons going to grow?: And can they have baby dragons between them? I know it has been over 100 years since the last dragons were on earth, but surely there must be TONS of books and information about dragons, common knowledge repeat over the centuries. I'd like to hear anyone mention how they're only a couple of years old and they still have 10 more years to grow or something. At least mention it! Also with any info regarding them, which Dany seems to be completely oblivious to search for, even though her freaking dragons should be the number 1 priority at all times!
  5. Where is that gold that guy at Harrenhal was torturing people for and what happened to the Brotherhood Without Banners? It seemed a relevant interesting plot back in that season, a Brotherhood of Merry Men living in the Woods, and one of whom could actually resurrect people! And there is a Treasure in hiding! Where are these people now? Why did they appear in the first place if they were never going to show up again?

I really hope we can get some answers to these as well as many others (what the hell is Bran doing under that tree? What are the WW waiting for to cross the damn Wall? Why are the lords in Dorne Princes, are they a Principat and have more rank than the other Houses? Why does Littlefinger seem able to teletransport, is he a god?)

Feel free to add more of your unanswered mysteries to this list.

• Love 4

Good list! The Brotherhood without Banners is one of my biggest frustrations.

6. The 3rd Leech. When is the Greyjoy "leech" going to enact it's killing power? Melissandre said that Robb and Joffrey's death is proof that it works. I say that since Papa Greyjoy is alive, that proves it doesn't.

7. Nymeria. She's been on the lam since Season 1, Episode 2.

• Love 3
6. The 3rd Leech. When is the Greyjoy "leech" going to enact it's killing power? Melissandre said that Robb and Joffrey's death is proof that it works. I say that since Papa Greyjoy is alive, that proves it doesn't.

Yeah the leech! I had forgotten about it! Greyjoy should be dead by now. If Greyjoy dies, who is the heir of the Iron Islands?

Yeah the leech! I had forgotten about it! Greyjoy should be dead by now. If Greyjoy dies, who is the heir of the Iron Islands?

What's-her-name, his daughter - Yara - I'd imagine. It should be Theon, but since he's now Reek I guess he's out of the running. So Yara would be the heir, unless a male cousin tries to supplant her - though I'd like to see him try!

• Love 1
4) How more are the Dragons going to grow?

The skull of the one that Arya hid in while eavesdropping on Varys and Illyrio had teeth that were as tall as she was. Drogon currently has teeth that are about as long as her hand. If Drogon grows up to be one of the dragons the size of the "beasts that brought the whole world to heel", I am thinking he will be at least 10x larger than he is now. Multiply that times 3 and that would be a lot of dragon.

• Love 1

Wao, KFH, that's BIG!!

But then the question would be for how long are they growing. I mean, if it's known dragons take 2, 5, 10 years to grow, then they'd have an idea of how much big they could get. If they only grow for the first 3 years or so, then they won't be a lot much bigger, no? But they could keep on growing for a long time for all we know.  And how long do they live?

I think these are questions the characters should be discussing themselves. It's like Dany forgets she has these magical, one of their kind creatures, except when she needs them.

• Love 1

Dany needs a Maester with a link for Dragon Research to crack open some dusty books asap. I Hope she frees the two "innocent" dragons from the Mereen dungeon.

Is there a link between dragons and greyscale? Other than the leper colony in the remains of Valyria? Also, the two iconic things about pre-Doom Valyria were dragons and Valyrian steel. Could there be a link between them, and that's why no one since The Doom can make new V steel?

• Love 4

Dany needs a Maester with a link for Dragon Research to crack open some dusty books asap. I Hope she frees the two "innocent" dragons from the Mereen dungeon.

Is there a link between dragons and greyscale? Other than the leper colony in the remains of Valyria? Also, the two iconic things about pre-Doom Valyria were dragons and Valyrian steel. Could there be a link between them, and that's why no one since The Doom can make new V steel?

WS, here is something that came to mind when reading your above post:

1. If Dany does not free the other two dragoons, what good is one lone dragon? And yeah, when Drogon was in the killing arena he still looked quite small overall, I mean, clearly the Harpies weren't very scared of him after their initial reaction, and they started throwing spears at him, so it wasn't like everyone cowed to one lone teenaged dragon. 

2. Also dragon related mysteries...If the other two are freed and saved, AND assuming they grow a helluva lot bigger than they are now, how are three lone dragons going to conquer Westeros? I was mentioning last week I think, that I was curious if there was some way that Dany could propagate baby dragons with her dragonettes...like there would be some magical way they would lay eggs,and Dany would do the fire thing and they would hatch and bring her more dragons...Just spitballin' here because it seems like she will need more than 3 dragons to accomplish her raison d'etre, no?

3. Re: Grey Scale, Valyria, and Dragons...What I am confused about is that it seems like a very,Very, VERY long ass time since anybody actually lived in Valyria, so how are there still men living there? All the men who attached Jorah and Tyrion's boat seemed like middle aged men, so how is it they are still alive with Grey Scale so long after the last Targ's lived there? That's the Targ seat, right?  It looked abandoned for hundreds of years from what we saw, completely overtaken by forest, yes? So why is there anyone still alive there?  Does Grey Scale make you live longer? I'd say maybe it makes you immune to fire but then I remember poor little Shireen and well, nevermind on that one.

4. Wasn't Sam reading about Dragons at some point or am I misremembering that?

5. Lastly, remember how large the dragon skulls/teeth were in the dungeon when Arya overheard Varys and whomever talking about that stuff way back when? I seem to remember Varys saying that the dragons became smaller and smaller over time, and were not so big when they became extinct, so maybe Dany's dragons will not get very big?

• Love 2
Also, the two iconic things about pre-Doom Valyria were dragons and Valyrian steel. Could there be a link between them, and that's why no one since The Doom can make new V steel?

Was Valyrian steel made from Valyrian iron, smelted by dragonfire?  Why it, like dragonglass, is deadly to Walkers? 

• Love 2

2. Also dragon related mysteries...If the other two are freed and saved, AND assuming they grow a helluva lot bigger than they are now, how are three lone dragons going to conquer Westeros? I was mentioning last week I think, that I was curious if there was some way that Dany could propagate baby dragons with her dragonettes...like there would be some magical way they would lay eggs,and Dany would do the fire thing and they would hatch and bring her more dragons...Just spitballin' here because it seems like she will need more than 3 dragons to accomplish her raison d'etre, no?

3. Re: Grey Scale, Valyria, and Dragons...What I am confused about is that it seems like a very,Very, VERY long ass time since anybody actually lived in Valyria, so how are there still men living there? All the men who attached Jorah and Tyrion's boat seemed like middle aged men, so how is it they are still alive with Grey Scale so long after the last Targ's lived there? That's the Targ seat, right?  It looked abandoned for hundreds of years from what we saw, completely overtaken by forest, yes? So why is there anyone still alive there?  Does Grey Scale make you live longer?

Regarding your point #2, it really doesn't make much sense that 3 sole dragons could take over Westeros, but apparently, that's how it happened the first time. I don't remember in which season, but I think Arya was telling Twyn about it. And l think they have mentioned it several times how a few Targaryans took over Westeros with only 3 dragons. They never even mentioned if they had an army or not, but at least Dany does have an army and could get more supporters in Westeros.

On point #3, I think you're confused. The greyscale people living in former Valyria have not been there for hundred or thousands of year. They're not Valyrian, they're infected people from all over the world who are sent there after they get infected, precisely because Valyria is abandoned. It's like the Island of the Leppers. We discussed this in the episode they appeared of how stupid it was for them to be sent there, why not just kill them? It'd be more humane. What ship would actually carry this highly infected people and with what purpose?

• Love 2

2. I love the idea of a dragon army! I think three full sized fully grown dragons should be pretty formidable, though. That's all that Aegon needed (+ some allies and two sisters) to conquer Westeros.

3. I think the current occupants of Valyria are the exiled stonemen infected with greyscale.

4. I remember Sam reading about dragonglass, and Shireen (sob) reading to Davos about dragons. I don't remember Sam reading about dragons off the top of my head.

5. Tywin said the last of the dragon skulls in the throne room were the size of apples. Varys may have said something similar. So the triplets are already much bigger than that. How big will they get? Great question, one that everyone around Dany seems uninterested in.

• Love 1

Was Valyrian steel made from Valyrian iron, smelted by dragonfire? Why it, like dragonglass, is deadly to Walkers?

That is a perfect solution to that question. I love it! Maybe the dragons aren't going to fight the WWs (at least not at first), but are going to just pump out lots of Valyrian steel swords.

• Love 2

Choc, Dany had an army! It is totally unclear if she has any army left at this point and if so, where are they? It seemed when Dany and the Unsullied army marched on Mereen, they were humongous, no?  Where are they all now? It is [not] known...

• Love 1

True dat, Ginger. Let's add that to the mysteries list, where the fuck is Dany's HUMONGOUS army? 

And why those mighty Unsullied who, according to everyone's praise, could take on 10 men each, are now so useless against a few untrained underground revolutionaries?

• Love 1

True dat, Ginger. Let's add that to the mysteries list, where the fuck is Dany's HUMONGOUS army? 

And why those mighty Unsullied who, according to everyone's praise, could take on 10 men each, are now so useless against a few untrained underground revolutionaries?

Make that a few untrained revolutionaries in Mardi Gras masks!

• Love 3

Hold on to your doubts, Pup, the RW was wrong about Stannis winning a war. Or maybe she sees rightly in the fire, but misidentifies the people she sees. It's kind of blurry in there, what with the smoke and all.

• Love 2

I would like to re post the whereabouts of Nymeria, thankyouverymuch, especially now that it appears we are down both Shaggy and Summer.  Dayum, I hate seeing the dire wolves go down for the stupidity of these folks.

I didn't see listed above the mystery and whereabouts of one uncle Benjen, or have we all given up hope that he could have survived?  I thought end of last season, that the Night King might have been Benjen, but now I don't think so because if he was, then surely Bran would have had some recognition of him when he met him in his dream state?  So yeah, I still wonder where Benjen is...because he would provide an elder anchor to the Stark Clan right now, and because he was a part of that first opening scene S01E01 IIRC, which was perhaps the best scene A Show has ever given us...at least for me.

And Hot Pocket, or whatever his name was, I would like to know if he is still around and alright.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I would like to re post the whereabouts of Nymeria, thankyouverymuch, especially now that it appears we are down both Shaggy and Summer.  Dayum, I hate seeing the dire wolves go down for the stupidity of these folks.

Dayum, agree so much! Thankyouverymuch!  We've only got Ghost and Nymeria. Keep them safe!!!!!  I admit that I had my heart in my throat when Bran was wandering among the un-observant  zombonis, that we would  see Benjen. Thankfully NOT.

50 minutes ago, gingerella said:

And Hot Pocket, or whatever his name was, I would like to know if he is still around and alright.

"Hot Pie" (pre-hot pizza pocket) is likely still alive (!!!) because he was last seen imparting info to Brienne and Podrick. Anonymity is good.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Anothermi said:

I admit that I had my heart in my throat when Bran was wandering among the un-observant  zombonis, that we would  see Benjen. Thankfully NOT.

12 hours ago, gingerella said:

I know. Seasons ago, I speculated that Jon would confront his late uncle as a zomboni. In part, because this seemed to me about as horrible an experience as could be dealt out to any of our young Starks. I was more naive than they, before they left Winterfell.  

It's frustrating that Nymeria and Benjen may be lost and never found, but at the same time, it feels right. I think the best one could hope for Nymeria is that she lived for a time, having made her way back north and far from humans; the best one could hope for Benjen, after all this time, is that he remains dead. 

But will we see a zombified Benjen, Hodor and Summer in the great ice/fire battle? Even if G.R.M. Martin could resist, I doubt the showrunners can, and I don't really blame 'em.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Pallas said:

But will we see a zombified Benjen, Hodor and Summer in the great ice/fire battle?

Oh NO! I didn't even think of THAT. <<boggle, boggle>>

And would the WW re-animate the CHoF? - the one's who created them in the 1st place? Or Tree Dude? ... though I don't see what good it would do to zombonify him as he's stated the tree roots grew right through him. Not mobile enough to be a killing machine.

But, I think we got one of our questions answered during that fight scene. Zombonis can be stopped by decapitating them (by whatever means).  So headless corpses are unlikely to become zombonis.

Well...we got some revelations from various outstanding mysteries, in no particular order:

1. Benjen LIVES! But is he undead or actually alive?

2. Arya will NOT be joining the Many Faces God and Jaquen & Company, assassins for hire.

3. Edmure LIVES, though apparently he is not in a good state right now thanks to his loving father in law.

4. Blackfish LIVES - at least for the moment - and he's kicked out the inbred Frey nitwit twins.

5. The Brotherhood Without Banners LIVES - though we've not seen them in the flesh - they are alive and roaming the Riverland area, so give them next episode to ride into the frame...I wonder how many times Berrick Dondarrion has died and been reborn since last we saw him trip up the Hot Pocket Posse.

6. Drogo LIVES! And apparently he can always find out where the Mother of Dragons is with his internal GPS system.

Am I missing anyone else?

I may regret saying this but...thank you S06...at least for now...

• Love 4