about what it means to be a successful woman and still wanting to have
a partner or a life, and how challenging that can be with stories of a
lot of our friends and ourselves: the more successful you become, the
harder it is for you to find a date.”

Shapiro also shared that they portrayed navigating present-day dating
in an honest way, pulled from material in real life. “We call it the
tyranny of choice under Tinder, where you always feel like there is
someone better around the bend or being so overwhelmed by the idea of
customizing a life partner,” she explained.

She also said that the format of the female-led “Everlasting” is a
little different from ABC’s “The Bachelorette.” While both women go on
dates, “UnReal” focuses mainly on the suitress as a character and are
not detailing the drama between the male contestants.It’s really more
about her journey and her relationship with Rachel and Quinn, and how
they feel about creating a life for this business woman,” she teased.
“Quinn isn’t necessarily seeing her as a woman or a man, she sees her
more as a contestant on the show that she needs to produce. I think
that speaks more to our themes of humanity within reality TV and what
are the consequences of starting to treat people like cattle.”

Shapiro admitted that she hasn’t tuned in to watch this season of “The
Bachelorette,” so she couldn’t fully comment on how ABC handled its
first African-American lead (which “Everlasting” had in last season’s
“Unreal.”) However, she did state that she heard the news of a current
cast member that had racist and feminist tweets surface from his time
before the show.

“Oh yeah, I’m sure it was not an accident,” she said lightheartedly
about the research that she did when she was a producer on the ABC
franchise, long before she created “UnReal.”

Later on in the afternoon, Shiri Appleby and Zimmer hopped on the
open-built safari vehicles to gaze at the animals, who had clever
names such as Justin Zeber the zebra, Al Pacacino the alpaca and a
llama they referred to as Llama Del Rey. “Wait, you said her name is
Barbecue Burger?” a concerned Zimmer asked near the American Bison.
“Don’t worry, we don’t eat them,” the tour guide replied.

http://variety.com/2017/scene/vpage/unreal-co-creator-sarah-gertrude-shapiro-bachelorette-rachel-lindsay-unreal-lifetime-1202453839

The series was expected to return this summer, exactly one year
from when Season 2 debuted. The delay is to allow the network to pair
it with their new Greg Berlanti-produced series You — because every
network needs a Berlanti series.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/05/unreal-season-3-delayed-2018-greg-berlanti

• Love 1
On 6/5/2017 at 6:04 AM, aradia22 said:

I'm not sure TV seasons matter much for the kind of people who watch UnReal. I think it makes a bigger difference for the big networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.) who can still count on a solid TV viewership. But with shows being watched on Netflix, Amazon, hulu, DVR, online players, etc. and also with Netflix, Amazon, etc. in particular just dropping shows whenever they want, things are much more unpredictable. Given the way the movies are predicting terrible box office numbers, I'm not sure summer is the best time for UnReal if it's not up to par. There are other things for people to do. Even if it's soapy, it's not really light. Maybe it would be more effective to make another play for prestige or at least critical acclaim in the middle of the regular TV season. 

Until someone decides to film an entire series at one time, the spacing between seasons will still matter to viewers.

Unreal has also been renewed for a fourth season.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/unreal-season-3-josh-kelly-weight-loss-1026783?facebook_20170804

While UnREAL will not return for its new season until early 2018, the series has already been renewed for season four. Kelly said production is set to begin on season four before the third season debuts. 

The article is predominantly about Josh Kelly (Jeremy) who lost 70 pounds after Season 2 for his character arc in the upcoming Season 3.

It's been a while since I posted but I have some season four news to share with all of you. Shiri Appleby just dyed her hair Blonde for Season four.  She also mentioned at the variety power of women event in LA that season four will be All Stars. So basically UnREAL has run out of ideas and now they're going to do that stupid bachelor in paradise storyline. They also realized that Adam is a fan favorite. So why not bring him back for a 3rd time. I guess third times the charm. His character was a waste in season two. Before season two aired SGS was puffing her chest. She was smiling from ear to ear. She made sure and let everyone know that they were the first one to have a black bachelor.  Especially after the real show followed suit.  Now rather then come up with  when original storyline they just said screw it and stole/borrowed from the Bachelor. season 4 starts shooting at the end of OCT. the fourth season  Will only be eight episodes instead of 10.  They can barely cram everything into 10 episodes now we're going to have to fit all the storyline a into 8.

• Love 3
On 10/14/2017 at 7:33 AM, earlbny said:

season four will be All Stars. So basically UnREAL has run out of ideas and now they're going to do that stupid bachelor in paradise storyline.

This is so disappointing.  They started out so strong and failed to stick with the winning formula that drew the ratings for season one.  When season two failed I thought, for sure, they would amend that mistake.   Well shit.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

This is so disappointing.  They started out so strong and failed to stick with the winning formula that drew the ratings for season one.  When season two failed I thought, for sure, they would amend that mistake.   Well shit.  

Very disappointing. However all we know is that they are going to do All stars in season 4.  We don't officially know if they're going to do the Bachelor in paradise storyline but that seems like the obvious choice.  Why not just make a cheesy lifetime movie about it? As if the seasons weren't short enough season four will only be eight episode.  It's hard enough to cram everything into 10 episodes let alone 8. Season three has the female suitress but is also going to focus on Rachel confronting her rapist.  My gut tells me that like season two the BTS making of a reality dating show will play second fiddle to Rachel and her rapist storyline. I guess time will tell. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, earlbny said:

Very disappointing. However all we know is that they are going to do going to do All stars in season 4.  We don't officially know if they're going to do the Bachelor in paradise storyline but that seems like the obvious choice. As if the seasons weren't short enough season four will only be eight episode.  It's hard enough to cram everything into 10 episodes let alone 8. Season three has the female suitress but is also going to focus on Rachel confronting her rapist.  My gut tells me that like season two the everlasting part of the show behind the scenes making of a reality dating show or play second fiddle to Rachel and her rapist storyline.  I guess time will tell.   

All well.  I will look at it as a new show with familiar characters and see what they do.  I love all the actors and the side plots, so there is that.  

59 minutes ago, wings707 said:

All well.  I will look at it as a new show with familiar characters and see what they do.  I love all the actors and the side plots, so there is that.  

Same.

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

How the f*** can they have an All-star when they've been on TWO whole seasoms!!!

All stars is season 4. So they will have 3 seasons in the book before it airs. Plus Everlasting has been on the air long before UnREAL.

• Love 3

All stars is season 4. So they will have 3 seasons in the book before it airs. Plus Everlasting has been on the air long before UnREAL.

That's a good point. I doubt they'll explore it to its full potential but it would be interesting to have a lot of previous Everlasting contestants (maybe even not so subtle analogs to the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise) and explore what it's like for them coming back. You know... the fame hungry ones who do DWTS or try to get their own reality shows. The ones whose "engagements" quickly ended after their seasons. The older people who should really not be there anymore. Maybe someone who looked an idiot the first time and is looking for redemption.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

That's a good point. I doubt they'll explore it to its full potential but it would be interesting to have a lot of previous Everlasting contestants (maybe even not so subtle analogs to the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise) and explore what it's like for them coming back. You know... the fame hungry ones who do DWTS or try to get their own reality shows. The ones whose "engagements" quickly ended after their seasons. The older people who should really not be there anymore. Maybe someone who looked an idiot the first time and is looking for redemption.

That would be great. Shiri posted some Instagram story from some season 4 dinner. She showed a few of the male suitors and its nobody I reconise. 

I don't know what to make of the trailer. It looks like it could be a return to season 1 form. However I've read that a pet of the show will focus on Rachel confronting her attacker. My fear is that the everlasting part will be 5 minutes long and the rest will be all the stuff I could care less about. I'll give them the bennifit of the doubt and wait to give my opinion till after I watch the season. 

9 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I kind of just hope they forgot the thing with the reporter and the contestant who were driven off a cliff ever happened. That would be a huge step up already.

That stupid storyline needs to be erased from my memory for good. That would be a huge step up indeed. However I doubt that would happen. I have a feeling it will be a big part of season 2.  I also wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Harvey Weinstein scandal makes its way into season 4. 

It looks like Adam will be apart of season 3. I did some digging around. I checked IMDB and he's in 12 episodes. So it's probably just the season premiere and then poof he's gone. Unless they plan on bringing him back for an actual storyline then I think Its time to move on. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/unreal-season-3-trailer-adam-returns-for-a-new-suitress-w509394

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, earlbny said:

It looks like Adam will be apart of season 3. I did some digging around. I checked IMDB and he's in 12 episodes.

Sounds like you mean 1 or 2 episodes, if he's just in the premiere.  12 episodes would be nearly the entire season, wouldn't it?

13 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Sounds like you mean 1 or 2 episodes, if he's just in the premiere.  12 episodes would be nearly the entire season, wouldn't it?

I don't officially know if he's in  any episodes in season three Or four.  When I checked out his IMDb page it had him listed as being in 12 episodes in total.  10 episode were in season one. One episode one season two.  That leaves one more episode that's unknown.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by earlbny
3 hours ago, earlbny said:

I don't officially know if he's in  any episodes in season three Or four.  When I checked out his IMDb page and had him listed as being in 12 episodes in total.  10 episode were in season one. One episode one season two.  That leaves one more episode that's unknown.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought you were saying he was in 12 episodes in Season 3, not overall.  That explains the confusion.  Sorry about that.

On October 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM, NutMeg said:

François  Arnaud? Of The Borgias? When does it start?

As if I needed one more reason to watch this show, warts and all... :) 

Hopefully they don't waist his character. 

Edited by earlbny
4 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Looked like fun, I almost forgot how bad last season was.

Same. I know it probably wont happen but I would love it if they pretended like S2 never happened. Rachel dreamed it all up or something like that and then they move on. I hope the best part of the new season is not just the trailer. You can make almost anything look great with good editing.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

I'm super interested in this season...do I need to watch last season to get this one though?

Based on the trailer, it looks like there might be references to the cliffhanger ending from last year. But I get the impression it will be a standalone season. 

Quinn: "Everlasting is about to be canceled.. . for real!" I wonder if that's meta on last season's disaster of UnReal.

• Love 3

I hope it’s a stand-alone season.  At the very least they will do a recap before the season premiere episode starts and make a few references.  They only have 10 episodes to fit everything in . I can’t see them just pretending like it never happened. I also can’t see them shutting down the show.  Actually with the news of the show coming back for season 4. Will anyone get in trouble? I want more Everlasting and less soap.

I also remember reading something recently about Rachel going on a search in season 3 to find the person who raped her.

I like how Shiri acknowledged in a recent interview that season two was pretty bad. She said they saw all the reviews, headlines and fan chatter and worked to correct the mistakes for season 3. Last season the cast and crew and show runners all thought season two was great.  Some of them gave the company line and others truly believed their own hype 

Here's some links about season 3.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/41234-press-tour-unreal-resets-for-season-three

‘Unreal’ EPs: Season 3 Will Explore ‘What it is to be a Woman Today’ – Variety

Lifetime Showrunners Talk #MeToo and Meaningful Change for Women – Variety

Lifetime Television All Scripted Shows Created By Women

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2

Next Thursdsy 2/22 Shiri will be a guest on Live with Kelly and Ryan. Later that Afternoon Shiri along with Stacy the New Showrunner and Sarah the former showrunner and shows created will do a Q&A at the Athena Film Festival. Prior to the Q&A they will show the premiere episode.

Friday, February 23

(9-10 a.m.) Megyn Kelly TODAY: Olympics Athlete interviews. Cast of “Unreal,” including Constance Zimmer, Shiri Appleby, Sarah Gertrude Shapiro and executive producer Stacy Rukeyser. Workout like “American Ninja Warriors,” with competitor Najee Richardson, hosts Matt Iseman and Akbar Gbajabiamila. Medical Mysteries & Miracles.

I  guess the rest of the cast  is chopped liver.  I would’ve thought Caitlin or any of the other new Male contests would get a chance to promote the show.  I thought Jeremey would get to promote the show. Especially with the  shows explosive season two finale a.k.a. soap opera car crash. I guess like season two everyone that’s not Rachel or Quinn must be and afterthought. It’s a shame shame shame.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:07 AM, nosleepforme said:

A positive review? Thank God, because I would not be able to take any more soap murder storylines.

It’s been forever since this show had a positive review. I am with you. I am so over the soap murder storylines. Keep in mind that that review is only for the 1st 2 episodes of season 3. That gives them plenty of time to screw it up. What scares me is that despite the fact that they have a new showrunner this season they kept Sarah around. She’s the problem.  Good shows don’t get a new showrunner every season. The new showrunner has worked on UnREAL since season one. She’s not so new. She just has a new title. I’m going to an UnREAL event next week and Sarah will be in attendance to promote the show along with Shiri and Stacy. They need to cut ties with Sarah. If your into reading spoilers I have posted some in that thread which will give you an idea of how the first five episodes play out.

ETA: Spoler Alert here’s 2 more reviews of season 3. The EW review is on page 42.

https://psv4.userapi.com/c834604/u63345469/docs/d17/7a85a7df9bce/Entertainment_Weekly_-_16_02_2018.pdf?extra=-y0ZmyjBAoqWxqmsH9cwjCN2lAVe8LR3Ec7Lu7t03fQegQK4xDEnzznVsyL8QDYX2GmmrQpdUGWNSA6hw2JW8pbLw_ST0rwNMHMn8RlrRfC3mUSLQLWkDaDtQrMrFA

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2018/02/16/Tuned-In-Networks-awash-in-premium-prestige-programs/stories/201802160058

Edited by earlbny

I feel like they are just going in circles with Rachel’s stories. She starts this season coming back from exile, same as in the pilot. And this quote from Shapiro in The Hollywood Reporter sounds the same as Rachel’s POV last season, just substituting a suitress for a black suitor.

Shapiro: And I think what's a great opportunity about having a female suitress, or the opportunity that it provides, is for both of our characters to have this really fucked up avatar that they put everything onto. Rachel is really excited to have a feminist suitress because she thinks it's going to elevate feminism in the minds of America. Quinn is dubious about it. Poor Serena sort of becomes a doll for them that they're moving around and playing with.

"The world is alight with the very issues Season 1 started tackling. “UnREAL” should be scorching the earth, whether it’s directly referencing topical issues or not. It should feel dangerous, as if a bomb could go off at any moment. But even with all these fires, it still can’t find a spark."

This from that review is a very interesting comment. I agree, "UnREAL" from season one felt fearless and I think it was, but now it has fear and that is hurting the show. Season One they probably felt like they were too controversial to get renewed so they just went balls out, be as daring as possible, there is no future to worry about so just go for it. Then they realized they could get renewed and that this show could have some longevity and they started to play it safe, they started to write the show in the hopes of another season so while they still tackled powerful subjects, they did so in a more cautious was so as not to piss anyone off. What mad this show great in the first season was that it didn't seem like it cared who it pissed off. 

I think this world we are in right now needs Season 1's fearlessness back. I don't think we will ever get that because the production staff, wisely, want to keep getting paychecks and watering down the issues is what sells to the masses. 

• Love 2

I feel that they either try to hard or not hard enough. People have said they need to move on and try a different reality show. ITA. After a while there’s only so many stories you can tell within that world.  One of the problems UnREAL has is the simple fact that it’s on Lifetime. If a show like This is Us did the BLM plot the whole country would be talking about it. Not enough people watch this show to really care. They want to help get the convocation started which is great but kind of hard to do when nobody watches you’re show. The Various UnREAL social media accounts are already pumping their chest that the reviews for S3 that have started coming in have been great. From what I read it’s been mixed.  It’s better than season two but not as good as season one. 

ETA: Here a review from the Hollywood reporter. Even the professional journalist agree that the show has kind of run out of ideas and gone in circles. When a characters arc is done they need to exit the show rather then stick around and bring down the show. They serve no purpose.  It’s a shame because the show is capable of creating Emmy worthy television.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/review/unreal-season-3-review-1088233

I cant wait to find out who Rachel's rapist is. This way we can finally move on. That plot does nothing for me.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/shiri-appleby-breaks-down-unreals-timely-season-3-theme/

Edited by earlbny

Thanks for posting that. It's nice to see someone other then Shiri or Constance get to promote the show. I follow the UnREAL social media stuff but must have missed this.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed reading these reviews. 

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2018/04/unreal-season-3-episode-8-review-recurrent/

https://tv.avclub.com/unreal-needs-to-make-up-its-damn-mind-about-quinn-1825279511

DVR alert! Shiri will be a guest on the Steve Harvey show this Thursday 4/19 at 2PM EST.

Shiri was also a guest on Good Day LA this morning. http://www.foxla.com/good-day-la/327612322-video
Edited by earlbny
Spoiler

How can you have an allstars season 4 without fan favorite Adam?  For the record I don’t care about August. Also as a Shiri Appleby fan I don’t care for Her blonde hair. I wish this show would come up  with their own original storylines and not borrow from that other show. I guess they've run out of ideas. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/when-unreal-season-4-premieres-some-familiar-everlasting-all-stars-will-be-returning-too-8861790

12 MINUTES AGO, BINGEYKOHAN SAID:

Hm. I guess Lifetime is in somewhat of a tricky spot given this season's lack of buzz - and I assume lack of ratings, though I don't know that for a fact. (The only 'buzz' I've really seen around the show is Emily Nussbaum on twitter praising it for getting its season one groove back, a view that I think is far too charitable.) Summer used to be the time you 'burned off' episodes of a show you'd paid for but had given up on, but summer is actually good tv real estate now, plus it doesn't seem this season left viewers salivating for more so soon. I can't imagine they'd order a season 5, so hopefully season 4 can function as a series finale?

I've read every tweet/review plus check the ratings . I have no life LOL Plus I have lots of down time at work which I am not complaining about. Most of the reviews for S3 were not so great. During either S1 and S2 or just one of those seasons people got paid or sent the screeners to review. One of them was the guy who covers the Bachelor. All those people stopped talking about the show after the pay check stopped coming in or were not sent the screeners. Basically they could care less about the show. Rotten Tomatoes is currently only showing all positive reviews except for 1. EW & AV Club did not like S3. Those 2 plus others that did not like the season are not even mentioned on Rotten Tomatoes. In other positive news Shiri officially breaks her record of 3 seasons. Prier to UnREAL the show she was on the longest "Roswell" only lasted 3 seasons. Everything else never went past 2. Some had not even made it on the air. 

Edited by earlbny