Type keyword(s) to search

The Rankin-Bass Christmas Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know it's not a Rankin-Bass production, but dammit! I missed How The Grinch Stole Christmas! And when I thought I found a re-airing of it and sat down to watch it over the weekend, it was that horrid, horrid, live version with Jim Carrey. Anyone know if it will be re-aired before Christmas?

TNT is airing the animated version Friday, December 22 at 7:00 pm and 9:45 pm.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Would that be Free Form, formerly ABC's Family Channel?

In my tvguide, 'titantv" it is listed as ABC Family.  If you don't get that, I am sure in the two weeks before Christmas SOMEONE will run it again.  I hope so, anyhow!

17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

In my tvguide, 'titantv" it is listed as ABC Family.  If you don't get that, I am sure in the two weeks before Christmas SOMEONE will run it again.  I hope so, anyhow!

It's re-airing on TNT, and I set my dvr to record it. What was once ABC Family in my area, is now Free Form.

I'd only had one problem, with Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer through out my life, and this was from when I was a kid.  Rudolf exits the cottage on TIOMT -  he leaves the door open!  Um...  there are still people inside sleeping.  Kay?

That's it.  That's all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bc1795 said:

I'd only had one problem, with Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer through out my life, and this was from when I was a kid.  Rudolf exits the cottage on TIOMT -  he leaves the door open!  Um...  there are still people inside sleeping.  Kay?

That's it.  That's all.

That's funny. :)

I always loved Rudolph as a kid, but as an adult I've become eh about it. 

I still like the character of Rudolph but everyone else could take a flying leap IMO (with the exception of his parents and girlfriend). They all discriminated against him, even Santa, because his nose was red. Wouldn't even let him play the reindeer games, practically ran him out of town. They wouldn't give him the time of day until they needed him. Well I would've ruined Christmas that  year because I would've told them to take their request for me to lead the sleigh that foggy night and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I'd only had one problem, with Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer through out my life, and this was from when I was a kid

Mine was the reindeer with the inexplicable Brooklyn accent when he returned to Christmas Town, "You! I tawt we got ridda youz for good!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:37 PM, chitowngirl said:

So Heat Miser and Snow Miser are Step-brothers. Which one is Mother Nature's son? Who is the father? Where is he?????

Mother Nature's a slut. LOL

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:51 PM, Blergh said:

I always thought it funny how the whole point of Frosty's salvation was that he was created on Christmas Day -yet until 3PM that afternoon the kids were IN SCHOOL? What school in Christendom would have DONE that? Also, while it was amusing to me as a tiny kid seeing this stiff snowman become an animated semi-polar bear figure, I can't help but think I'd have been freaked out at the concept as an adult. Oh, and lastly, while the Magician was the stock villain and I had no problems booing him, considering that being a magician WAS his livelihood and he'd just humiliated himself in front of the entire classroom (while having to work Christmas Day in what must have been virtual peanuts since when do schools allot zillions of bucks for entertainment expenses), I had to admit feeling a little sorry for him as an adult.

Wow, I do not remember Frosty being made on Christmas Day. Maybe they were at Sunday School?

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Would that be Free Form, formerly ABC's Family Channel?

Squiggle!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Mother Nature's a slut. LOL

Wow, I do not remember Frosty being made on Christmas Day. Maybe they were at Sunday School?

Squiggle!

Unless it was a Little House on the Prairie  style school/church building, it looked like a regular school and that would only have been possible every seventh Christmas Day (and there was no minister around). Also, how many churches would actually invite magicians to appear during Sunday school classes? Still, I have to give you credit for trying to make it credible.

Then again, considering that the entire premise was about how a hat turned a regular snowman into an animated semi-polar bear, I guess we can overlook the school in session on Christmas Day AND even the North Pole being accessible via rail AND it being reached from the Lower 48 in mere hours!  Anyway, it was a fun cartoon on its own as a kid but I have to admit it's been fun as an adult pointing out the absurdities! 

Edited by Blergh
parenthesis
  • Love 1
On 11/22/2018 at 6:57 PM, Ohwell said:

I'm already getting my Kleenex ready for when Frosty the Snowman melts.  *sniff*

This will air again on December 8th. Just a heads up! And yeah, I love original Frosty, too. Karen on the roof at the end STILL bugs me, but hey...  :-)

• Love 2
On 12/19/2017 at 12:49 PM, Enero said:

That's funny. :)

I always loved Rudolph as a kid, but as an adult I've become eh about it. 

I still like the character of Rudolph but everyone else could take a flying leap IMO (with the exception of his parents and girlfriend). They all discriminated against him, even Santa, because his nose was red. Wouldn't even let him play the reindeer games, practically ran him out of town. They wouldn't give him the time of day until they needed him. Well I would've ruined Christmas that  year because I would've told them to take their request for me to lead the sleigh that foggy night and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL.

I feel for Rudolph, but the later (more religiously-themed) R-B special of Nestor The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey getting the same treatment still makes me bawl! (Says the masochist with the Blu-Ray!) At least Rudolph had friends and his parents. (As I have said more than once, I know!)

Poor Nestor got to wake up to his dead mom under a snow bank. Merry Christmas, indeed!

I know ABC Family/now FreeForm showed this, but it definitely faded with a lot of the "lesser" R-B specials. We talked of it before, but as I said, probably due to the religious overtones, etc.

Looking at some of these specials as an adult, I'm amazed kids were the target of some of these shows! What with the taunting, dead animal parents, bastard Santa (in Rudolph) and such. Hee.

ETA: Come to think of it, with all the channels out there, I'm rather surprised there has never been a limited-time channel that played nothing but the R-B Christmas/New Year specials! I bet there would be solid viewership with the nostalgia, and also from people of any age who may just enjoy them. Oh, well!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I feel for Rudolph, but the later (more religiously-themed) R-B special of Nestor The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey getting the same treatment still makes me bawl! (Says the masochist with the Blu-Ray!) At least Rudolph had friends and his parents. (As I have said more than once, I know!)

Poor Nestor got to wake up to his dead mom under a snow bank. Merry Christmas, indeed!

I know ABC Family/now FreeForm showed this, but it definitely faded with a lot of the "lesser" R-B specials. We talked of it before, but as I said, probably due to the religious overtones, etc.

Looking at some of these specials as an adult, I'm amazed kids were the target of some of these shows! What with the taunting, dead animal parents, bastard Santa (in Rudolph) and such. Hee.

ETA: Come to think of it, with all the channels out there, I'm rather surprised there has never been a limited-time channel that played nothing but the R-B Christmas/New Year specials! I bet there would be solid viewership with the nostalgia, and also from people of any age who may just enjoy them. Oh, well!

Nestor is my absolute favorite Christmas special :-)  In fact last year the DVD I had of it didn't work right and I had to track down some new ones.  I bought two so I would have a back up!  lol.  

• Love 5

I was very pleasantly surprised viewing "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", the original with Boris Karloff (swoon) and June Foray.  They didn't skip a thing; all the lyrics were there!  I think it even added a minute or two to its length.  Very satisfying.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I was very pleasantly surprised viewing "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", the original with Boris Karloff (swoon) and June Foray.  They didn't skip a thing; all the lyrics were there!  I think it even added a minute or two to its length.  Very satisfying.

Awww phooey! I forgot to record it! That's right, I'm recording all the re-airings to watch in one huge viewing! I've got Frosty, but not that horrid Frosty Returns, Rudolph, and waiting for the date for Charlie Brown Christmas, and all the other Rudolph and Santa related movies.

I can watch Rudolph over and over again as an adult, because I can relate to Rudolph--being bullied as a kid. I can set aside this Santa's jerkiness, because it's also a movie about friendship and acceptance and growing up. I'm not going to nitpick it to death, which seems to be the popular things these days: to bring up shows and movies from years and years ago, and "critique" it through the 21st century lens.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nestor the Long Eared Donkey has many showings scheduled on AMC. They have most of the classic Rankin Bass that Freeform used to have.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Nestor the Long Eared Donkey has many showings scheduled on AMC. They have most of the classic Rankin Bass that Freeform used to have.

AMC? Never would have guessed! Thanks for the heads up.  :-)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Thank you for letting us know that.  I always loved Nestor especially since it's not one that is easy to find.

• Love 1

I still watch Rudolph even though Christmas Town is really Bigot Town.  This year I felt sorry for the Bumble.  He gets all his teeth pulled and is now a glorified step ladder.  What is supposed to eat now?  Figgy pudding and soggy Christmas cookies?  He's a carnivore for fricks sake!

Although I haven't seen it airing for years, I still refuse to watch "The Little Drummer Boy" (narrated by MISS Greer Garson).  That shit depressed me as a kid, I certainly don't need it screwing with my mood altering drugs as an adult.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HighMaintenance said:

I still watch Rudolph even though Christmas Town is really Bigot Town.  This year I felt sorry for the Bumble.  He gets all his teeth pulled and is now a glorified step ladder.  What is supposed to eat now?  Figgy pudding and soggy Christmas cookies?  He's a carnivore for fricks sake!

Although I haven't seen it airing for years, I still refuse to watch "The Little Drummer Boy" (narrated by MISS Greer Garson).  That shit depressed me as a kid, I certainly don't need it screwing with my mood altering drugs as an adult.

AMC secured the rights (away from Freeform) to a lot of the Rankin/Bass Christmas specials. As a result, they are doing a Rankin/Bass marathon this weekend. The specials will be running each day from the morning to late afternoon. Set your DVR's as AMC is showing specials that have not aired in many, many years. These include Little Drummer Boy : Book II (showing only the sequel), The First Christmas: The Story of the First Christmas Snow, Nestor, Pinocchio's Christmas, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, and The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold!

• Love 6

Just saw the "Life imitates The Onion" headline from HuffPo about how a 1964 stop-motion children's story about a magic reindeer does not represent 2018 sensibilities.  Somewhere my infant self is apologizing to my grown-ass woman self.

Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer does in fact feature a group of animals & people that personify the Island of Misfit Toys.  And they're  relentlessly mocked because of it.

But it's no ad for the joys of abusive behavior.  The bullying is shown to be hurtful; the objects of derision are appealing to the audience; each misfit, by story's end, has proved his/her/it's value to the general population.

Just like the song, it's a charmer of a tale about unexpected heroics, done by unlikely heroes.  Rudolph gets Santa through the fog; Herbie hangs out his DDS shingle; the Abominable is able to reach the top of the Christmas tree; and -- my weepy favorite moment -- all the forgotten toys find loving homes.

To be cherished for what makes you unique: a theme I'd consider to be eternal.

Edited by voiceover
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
On 11/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, Blergh said:

Unless it was a Little House on the Prairie  style school/church building, it looked like a regular school and that would only have been possible every seventh Christmas Day (and there was no minister around). Also, how many churches would actually invite magicians to appear during Sunday school classes? Still, I have to give you credit for trying to make it credible.

Then again, considering that the entire premise was about how a hat turned a regular snowman into an animated semi-polar bear, I guess we can overlook the school in session on Christmas Day AND even the North Pole being accessible via rail AND it being reached from the Lower 48 in mere hours!  Anyway, it was a fun cartoon on its own as a kid but I have to admit it's been fun as an adult pointing out the absurdities! 

I think it's Christmas eve, though I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had school then, either.  

• Love 1
Just now, Omeletsmom said:

I think it's Christmas eve, though I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had school then, either.  

Nope, after the

Spoiler

meltdown

Santa specifically said that Frosty could be revived due to having been created from ' Christmas snow' (not Christmas Eve snow) and no one called out Santa for being mistaken or a liar re Frosty's origin.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Nope, after the

Hide contents

meltdown

Santa specifically said that Frosty could be revived due to having been created from ' Christmas snow' (not Christmas Eve snow) and no one called out Santa for being mistaken or a liar re Frosty's origin.  

I’ve always assumed “ Christmas” in this sense wasn’t a day but a season.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

AMC must have added commercial breaks or the breaks are longer because The Year Without a Santa Clause aired from 11:00-12:15.

There were a lot of scenes I don't remember seeing; they probably restored cuts that have been made over the years.

While we are at it, why are the city offices and schools in Southtown open on a Sunday?  Jingle and Jangle get a ticket for wearing funny clothes on a Sunday and that same day, they encounter the kids at school and visit the mayor in his office.

• Love 2
On 12/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, Sara2009 said:

I know the story doesn’t make complete sense, but my favorite of these specials is probably “ Twas the Night Before Christmas.” It’s so tuneful.

I LOVE this one and some of its dialog has made it into my everyday conversation. My 6 year old knows the answer to “Kerplunk?” 

Edited by hoosiermommy
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m sorry-I don’t understand the question. Is it ever wrong? 😆

I'm Mr. White Christmas

I'm Mr. Cool.
I'm Mr. Icicle
I'm Mr. 10 below
Friends call me Snow Miser
Whatever I touch
Turns to snow in my clutch!
I'm too much

He's mister white Christmas 
He's mister snow
He's mister icicle 
He's mister ten below

Whatever I touch
I'm too much

I never wanna know a day
That's over 40 degrees.
I'd rather have it 30, 20 then 5.
Let It Freeze!

He's mister white Christmas 
He's mister snow
He's mister icicle 
He's mister ten below
Whatever I touch
I'm too much

I'm Mr. green Christmas
I'm Mr. Sun.
I'm Mr. Heat Blister
I'm Mr. One Hundred and one
They call me Heat Miser
Whatever I touch
Starts to melt in my clutch.
I'm too much!

He's mister Heat Miser 
He's mister sun
He's mister heat blister 
He's mister hundred and one

They call me Heat Miser
Whatever I touch
He's too much

I never wanna know a day
That's under 60 degrees.
I'd rather have it
80, 90, 100 degrees!

They call me Heat Miser
Whatever I touch
I'm too much

Too much!

You're welcome.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

I LOVE this one and some of its dialog has made it into my everyday conversation. My 6 year old knows the answer to “Kerplunk?” 

I also love “ A Miracle Needs a Hand” or whatever that song is called.

• Love 7
On 12/2/2018 at 12:22 PM, Omeletsmom said:

There were a lot of scenes I don't remember seeing; they probably restored cuts that have been made over the years.

While we are at it, why are the city offices and schools in Southtown open on a Sunday?  Jingle and Jangle get a ticket for wearing funny clothes on a Sunday and that same day, they encounter the kids at school and visit the mayor in his office.

Also, once Santa pays Vixen's fine and takes her home the whole Snow Miser/Heat Miser/Snow in South Town story line doesn't even have to happen anymore. The elves and Mrs. Claus could just go back to the North Pole, they don't have to deal with the Mayor anymore. He is not important in getting Santa a Holiday... they only needed him to get Vixen out..

I also noticed this weekend that the animated Mayor in Twas the Night Before Christmas and animagic Year with out a Santa Claus have the same mustache and bald head.

No one ever shows The Stingiest Man in Town which I love for the songs and Walter Matthau shouting "nooooo!"( ETA just learned right this very moment that HULU has it. It was just suggested to me because obviously I'm being spied on by the internet,) or Cricket on the Hearth which is so freaking weird so I have to bust out the DVDs.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:24 AM, Sara2009 said:

I also love “ A Miracle Needs a Hand” or whatever that song is called.

You hope and I’ll hurry.

you pray and I’ll plan.

we’ll do what’s necessary, 

‘cause even a miracle needs a hand.

And they all go to bed without doing anything.

Edited by Megan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:13 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Come to think of it, with all the channels out there, I'm rather surprised there has never been a limited-time channel that played nothing but the R-B Christmas/New Year specials! I bet there would be solid viewership with the nostalgia, and also from people of any age who may just enjoy them. Oh, well!

I was going to mention AMC was playing them all weekend but someone beat me to it. I did find it strange, tho, that some of those specials were an hour long. I remember them all being an hour long, maybe more.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can watch Rudolph over and over again as an adult, because I can relate to Rudolph--being bullied as a kid. I can set aside this Santa's jerkiness, because it's also a movie about friendship and acceptance and growing up. I'm not going to nitpick it to death, which seems to be the popular things these days: to bring up shows and movies from years and years ago, and "critique" it through the 21st century lens.

Don't forget to include the flap this year about "Baby It's Cold Outside". I was mocking that a decade ago.

• Love 3

Funny, I didn’t like the Rudolph movie as a kid but now I love it.  I have a disturbing amount of RtR-NR decor including 2 sets of stuffed TIOMT toys.  Also lit porch decorations, including the spotted elephant who is my favorite.

The best part of the movie is when he says “i’m Cute! She thinks I’m cute”

My nitpicks are two mentioned above, leaving the door open and only 6 not 8 tiny reindeer pulling the sleigh.

My other nitpick, (sorry to call you out, voiceover) is when people call Hermie “Herbie”. It’s Hermie. Don’t get me started on Smokey Bear being called a Smokey the Bear.

I have never understood the appeal of Frosty. At all.

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
Typos,
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

The best part of the movie is when he says “i’m Cute! She thinks I’m cute”

AHEM!

It's "I'm cuuuuuuude!!! She thinks I'm CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!" Ya gotta add in that he's got that horrible thing pinching his node!😆😆😆😆😆😆

• Love 7
On 12/13/2018 at 11:44 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

My other nitpick, (sorry to call you out, voiceover) is when people call Hermie “Herbie”. It’s Hermie. Don’t get me started on Smokey Bear being called a Smokey the Bear.

Actually, it's Hermey. ;) 

• Love 2

I have vague memories of seeing this at least once. The whale with a clock rings a bell, and it sounds even more bonkers than the rest of their oeuvre. Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July. Funny coincidence, I just read the article and then checked AMC because of the discussion upthread, and it's showing Monday at 6:30am. I must dvr this of course.

No one has mentioned, or at least not for the last couple of years, the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, animated by RB and based on a story by L. Frank Baum.  Except for the name and some reindeer it doesn't really have any of the 'traditional' elements. More like an experiment in folklore.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2018 at 11:01 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

I have vague memories of seeing this at least once. The whale with a clock rings a bell, and it sounds even more bonkers than the rest of their oeuvre. Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July. Funny coincidence, I just read the article and then checked AMC because of the discussion upthread, and it's showing Monday at 6:30am. I must dvr this of course.

No one has mentioned, or at least not for the last couple of years, the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, animated by RB and based on a story by L. Frank Baum.  Except for the name and some reindeer it doesn't really have any of the 'traditional' elements. More like an experiment in folklore.

I always liked the Life and Adventures os Santa Claus. I liked the magical beings that raised him and helped him. 

• Love 1

Been exposing my husband to the more obscure specials.   Last year was Nestor.   He's still traumatized.   This year was Jack Frost.   We know pronounce the first "K" in all words.   We were laughing so hard when we were doing it that he started choking.

• Love 4