Type keyword(s) to search

The Rankin-Bass Christmas Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I will never understand why Santa wouldn’t just chalk off snotty Albert as one who was on the naughty list. I couldn’t stand him as a kid, and I still can’t stand him as an adult. 

And I’m talking about Albert who I can’t stand just in case it wasn’t clear.

Seriously! But Santa comes off as a dumb jerk in a lot of these specials, especially this one. I mean, he supposed to know who is bad and good but he just assumed the entire town was against him because of one anonymous letter to the editor?! 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously! But Santa comes off as a dumb jerk in a lot of these specials, especially this one. I mean, he supposed to know who is bad and good but he just assumed the entire town was against him because of one anonymous letter to the editor?! 

Santa as portrayed in R:B Specials:

Rudolph - judgmental bigot who is ableist as hell.

Year without a Santa Claus - Whiny self-indulgent with a touch of narcissism.

Twas the Night Before Christmas - Narcissistic as all get out.   I will punish a whole town.

Santa Claus is Coming to town -- Fun, giving even to those who would hurt him, hot for teacher.  BUT leaves his wife every year on his anniversary.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I will never understand why Santa wouldn’t just chalk off snotty Albert as one who was on the naughty list. I couldn’t stand him as a kid, and I still can’t stand him as an adult. 

And I’m talking about Albert who I can’t stand just in case it wasn’t clear.

Santa acts like such a special snowflake in these Rankin Bass specials.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And that attitude rubbed off on Rudolph in Shiny New Year. Seriously, Rudy, go fly into a jet engine.

46 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, I cut Santa a little bit of slack in Year Without a Santa Claus, because who hasn’t suffered from job burnout (especially this year)? 

Agreed. Plus, he did get off his ass long enough to go help Vixen, so good on him. 

Santa Claus is Coming to town -- Fun, giving even to those who would hurt him, hot for teacher.  BUT leaves his wife every year on his anniversary.  

Ha! Fair enough.

Re-watching Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, I discovered 3 things:

1. TV networks were wise to cut "Sit on My Lap" and Jessica's song in their airings. They're not particularly good, IMO (not to mention weird as hell, and not in a fun way), and they do not advance the plot in the slightest.

2. God, Fred Astaire had a wonderful voice. I don't just mean singing (though his rendition of the title tune is damned near perfect), but in general. It's so warm, inviting, and fatherly, the ideal storytelling voice. 

3. Okay, I've made this point before, but I'll make it again... as irritating as I found him in general, Mickey Rooney is probably my favorite actor to ever play Santa Claus. When he can't mug for the camera, Rooney actually behaves himself and really commits to the part.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6

Year without a Santa Claus - Whiny self-indulgent with a touch of narcissism.

Twas the Night Before Christmas - Narcissistic as all get out.   I will punish a whole town.

32 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

Santa acts like such a special snowflake in these Rankin Bass specials.

8 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And that attitude rubbed off on Rudolph in Shiny New Year. Seriously, Rudy, go fly into a jet engine.

Agreed. Plus, he did get off his ass long enough to go help Vixen, so good on him. 

Ha! Fair enough.

Re-watching Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, I discovered 3 things:

1. TV networks were wise to cut "Sit on My Lap" and Jessica's song in their airings. They're not particularly good, IMO (not to mention weird as hell, and not in a fun way), and they do not advance the plot in the slightest.

2. God, Fred Astaire had a wonderful voice. I don't just mean singing (though his rendition of the title tune is damned near perfect), but in general. It's so warm, inviting, and fatherly, the ideal storytelling voice. 

3. Okay, I've made this point before, but I'll make it again... as irritating as I found him in general, Mickey Rooney is probably my favorite actor to ever play Santa Claus. When he can't mug for the camera, Rooney actually behaves himself and really commits to the part.

Y'all just harshin' on my Mellow!!!!!!!!

I'm staying out of here until the world is back to normal! 

• LOL 6
14 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Agreed. Best Santa voice ever!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Y'all just harshin' on my Mellow!!!!!!!!

I'm staying out of here until the world is back to normal! 

Sorry, not our intent!

Lest we all come off as a bunch of Burgermeister Meisterburgers, I will list positives from R/B specials:

1. The music is superb, especially in 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and The Year Without a Santa Claus.

2. I never cease to marvel at the screen legends and/or Oscar winners they were able to get to narrate these. Artie and Jules had clout!

3. I love Frosty's Winter Wonderland (even more than the first one), and it actually had a villain redemption arc done fairly well. Plus, Shelley Winters in a rare nice role where she doesn't die at the end!

4. A Miser Brothers Christmas (not technically R/B, but humor me) is a total guilty pleasure. Sue me.

5. I appreciate the copious use of the late, great Paul Frees in these specials. 

6. Burgermeister Meisterburger is one of the greatest villain names ever. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

Oh I find bits and pieces of the specials annoying as hell (btw, I consider Jack Frost a GROUNDHOG day special, not Christmas).   Some I flat out refuse to watch (The Life and Times of Santa Claus, just ... no and Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July is WEIRD).    Even though I yell at Rudolphg every year in his Shiny New Year that he can FUCKING FLY so go after the baby new year when he is blown away, I still watch it.   I LOVE the specials.   My goal is to have the DVD to every single one -- including the Easter one.   They are magical.   It's not Christmas until i watch them.   If I need the Christmas spirit throughout the year, I can pop in a DVD and it all comes back.

• Love 2

Hah. Seeing 'Sit on my Lap' for the first time in about 30 years my immediate thought, "Oh no, no way can you have this on national television anymore." And the weird bubble hand animation during Jessica's song that seems to be an excuse not have two more minutes of more expensive animation. Even though the song has been excised for decades, I still remembered the birds releasing her hair.

4. Adventure Time's Ice King has to be based on the Winter Warlock.

• Love 2

Watching Santa Claus is Coming To Town on ABC and I still enjoy this (and Year Without A Santa) wholeheartedly and without feeling any need to snark on it. The Winter Warlock — “Winter, please!” — redemption story is pretty well done. Better, I dare say than most of the villain apologia shit we get today. Put one foot in front of the other...”

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 12/22/2020 at 9:21 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Well, I cut Santa a little bit of slack in Year Without a Santa Claus, because who hasn’t suffered from job burnout (especially this year)? 

He works one day a year. All the children of the world should miss Christmas because Santa has the sniffles? Suck it up, do your job and then enjoy your 364 day vacation. 

On 12/22/2020 at 10:49 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Hah. Seeing 'Sit on my Lap' for the first time in about 30 years my immediate thought, "Oh no, no way can you have this on national television anymore." And the weird bubble hand animation during Jessica's song that seems to be an excuse not have two more minutes of more expensive animation. Even though the song has been excised for decades, I still remembered the birds releasing her hair.

Agree that 'Sit on My Lap' was totally creepy &icky and I pray that no children watching got taken advantage of via scum singing it to them!

As for 'Jessica's Song'? Since it was made in 1970 at the tail end of psychedelic stuff being popular from the late '60s, I think it's probable that they put that in so the tiny kid viewers' older teen sisters/babysitters would think the movie was 'far out' enough to avoid changing the channel (although since it was done rather late into the movie I have to wonder how many teens watching likely had long since already changed it  ). 

AMC has also been showing some of the RB specials, which I only discovered yesterday when I went looking for Year without a Santa Claus. Pretty much the only part I remembered was the Snowmeiser and Heatmeiser songs. And how creepy is it they have smaller clones of themselves singing and dancing? The things you just accept unquestionably as a child. Saturday morning at 6am they're showing the wacky leprechaun one so I've set the DVR. Don't know if that's a Pacific or Eastern feed so check your local listings :). Mostly sure I've never seen it. They also have the Christmas in July that everyone hates at 7am. The runtimes are longer so I presume these are the original, uncut versions. Must remember for next year.

I don't know but I always thought that in Year without a Santa Claus that Mrs Claus donned the suit and delivered all the gift to the kids while Santa was too sick to do so. Since that wasn't it, did I imagine that story in my childhood feminist self  wanting Mrs Santa to get full credit and being able to an awesome job as Santa himself? Or is there actually a Christmas special that did this story?

• Love 3
On 12/27/2020 at 9:10 PM, nilyank said:

I don't know but I always thought that in Year without a Santa Claus that Mrs Claus donned the suit and delivered all the gift to the kids while Santa was too sick to do so. Since that wasn't it, did I imagine that story in my childhood feminist self  wanting Mrs Santa to get full credit and being able to an awesome job as Santa himself? Or is there actually a Christmas special that did this story?

She was going to dress up and be a stand in.   But as soon as she turned around Jingle and Jangle recognized her and she decided it was a bad idea.   EXCEPT no one is supposed to see Santa.   So who would know WHO was flying around in the red suit and delivering the presents.   Just because the elves could tell it was Mrs. C instead didn't make it a bad idea.   

Of course if they had done that, the show would be over.    No Summertown.   No Miser Brothers.   And no magic blue crayon that writes 2 letters at once.

• Love 1

CBS has scheduled Rudolph for Monday, November 22?!  I know they don't like to have too many things in December because they think everyone's too busy, but couldn't they at least show it the first week of December?  Frosty and Frosty Returns are in November too, but at least after Thanksgiving.  Is this the influence of Hallmark with their October Christmas movies or something?  I'll probably just record Rudolph and watch it much later.

With Hallmark beginning to  show their Christmas movies in freaking November, I can see everyone else trying to compete.   

If there is room on the schedule for 84 showings of Christmas Story and Home Alone, they can find room on the schedule in December for the Rankin Bass specials.

• Love 2

CBS will usually show it twice. I wonder if the early showing has to do with the fact that Rudolph is now shown on Freeform for its 25 Days of Christmas. I think that just started last year. Freeform will show Rudolph on three different days (12/4, 12/19, 12/24) in December. 

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

The ratings for Rudolph were barely half of what they were last year, so maybe CBS will learn something and not schedule it so early again (but I doubt it).

Do kids still watch Rudolph I wonder.  I know mine didn't like it and I admit watching now as an adult if it weren't for the nostalgia factor I'd probably give it a miss too.  Bastard Santa - yep!

17 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

The ratings for Rudolph were barely half of what they were last year, so maybe CBS will learn something and not schedule it so early again (but I doubt it).

I saw a commercial yesterday and Rudolph will be repeated on CBS on, I believe, December 11th. So, it will be interesting to see if the ratings will be any better.

In completely missing the meaning of the season and going for competitiveness instead the Big 3 networks did this tonight at 8 p.m:

CBS:  Frosty the Snowman

NBC:  How the Grinch Stole Christmas -- the good one with Boris Karloff not any of the abominations since then.   

ABC:  Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

I watched ABC, taped the Grinch, I'll figure out Frosty later.

But give folks a freaking break.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I saw a commercial yesterday and Rudolph will be repeated on CBS on, I believe, December 11th. So, it will be interesting to see if the ratings will be any better.

It usually does okay in its repeat by the standards of the ratings Saturday broadcast TV gets now, but that's not very high.  The past few years, the first airing had gotten above a 1.0 rating in 18-49 year-olds (including 1.1 last year), which is better than most shows other than football, but this year was 0.58!

I'm watching Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town now instead of recording so that I have an excuse to take a break from decorating (even though I could still decorate this room I suppose).

• Love 1

Saw this pop up on my YT recommendations: A restoration of authenticated actual puppets from the special! Santa and (one of the few different versions as he was also a baby and full adult; this appears to be the adolescent with the antler nubs!) Rudolph!

• Love 1

The Stingiest Man in Town is considered among the lesser of the Rankin-Bass specials (it's based on a 1956 teleplay of the same name), but it has its charms. The songs are okay (especially "Humbug!"), and Walter Matthau as Scrooge?! Greatest casting you never knew you always wanted!!

• Love 1

Watching the Year Without a Santa Claus last night and I noticed something I had not in the 10 billion OTHER times I watched it:

When Mrs. Claus is singing "I Could be Santa Claus" and she gets to the line about only seeing her from the back, she turns around and does a little booty shake.  

You go Mrs. C.   

Also, given climate change, did Heat Miser finally beat his brother Snow Miser?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I love Mrs. Claus in Year Without a Santa Claus. Smart, no-nonsense, and she got stuff done. She knew exactly how to get the Misers under control: tell their mother! I can totally buy her as the older version of Jessica in Santa Claus is Coming to Town. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

The Stingiest Man in Town is considered among the lesser of the Rankin-Bass specials (it's based on a 1956 teleplay of the same name), but it has its charms. The songs are okay (especially "Humbug!"), and Walter Matthau as Scrooge?! Greatest casting you never knew you always wanted!!

I...don't remember this one. At all! Huh!

• Love 1
On 4/1/2014 at 10:24 PM, merylinkid said:

Rankin Bass means holidays to me.   Not just Christmas either.   I would kill to get the Easter one narrated by Danny Kaye.

That's an underrated one!  And in some ways this entire thread is one big "If I Could Only Get Back to Yesterday". 😉

• Love 1
On 12/12/2014 at 10:58 PM, Megan said:

The holiday special with the very best songs is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol though.

Well, the songwriter was an actual Broadway composer (and won an Oscar for "Three Coins in a Fountain"!

But yeah -- that is my favorite Christmas special of all and deserves more attention than it gets.  (And if you don't cry at "Alone in the World" you're a cold, cold person...)

On 12/13/2014 at 11:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Here you go, @Qoass !  :-)

And now at long last I know why Cornelius is always licking & smelling his pick through the entire show!

• Love 1
On 12/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, Sara2009 said:

I know the story doesn’t make complete sense, but my favorite of these specials is probably “ Twas the Night Before Christmas.” It’s so tuneful.

As someone with a physics degree the words to "Give Your Heart a Try" make me grind my teeth.  But I still love the song and the show.  The hair on my neck still stands up as midnight arrives and the clock finally starts singing!

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

Sorry to double post. Don't know if any of you watch Antiques Roadshow, they had a couple of episodes this week following up on extraordinary finds. A man brought in original Santa and Rudolph puppets from the tv show for an appraisal back in 2005. There were also a whole bunch of others but they got melted in a hot attic (Noooooo!!!!!). Appraised at $8-10,000 because the collectibles market for pop culture items hadn't exploded yet. They were later sold to a collector for an undisclosed amount, who then spent $4000 having them professionally restored. Put them up for auction in 2020 and they sold for $368,000 including the buyer's premium. Anonymous buyer then gave them to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta. I've linked this video of the whole segment that has the original appraisal and the follow up and auction. 

• Love 1

Just doing my annual viewing of Rudolph and yet again am wondering why the little doll is on Misfit Island.  Does anyone know?  Am I missing something obvious?  The only thing "wrong" with her is her braids a a little untidy!  

BTW why do I watch this every year?  Every year I think "I thought Santa was supposed to be nice!"

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Just doing my annual viewing of Rudolph and yet again am wondering why the little doll is on Misfit Island.  Does anyone know?  Am I missing something obvious?  The only thing "wrong" with her is her braids a a little untidy!  

BTW why do I watch this every year?  Every year I think "I thought Santa was supposed to be nice!"

I’m saving mine up to watch all of my faves, plus Frosty and The Grinch.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m saving mine up to watch all of my faves, plus Frosty and The Grinch.

My husband and I were just talking about these.  We both love The Grinch (only the original) and we pick apart Frosty.  So many plot holes 😃 yet we wouldn't miss it!  Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch and Charlie Brown are part of Christmas for us. Forever and ever, amen.  I wonder which Christmas classics will be must watch TV years from now for today's generation of kids?

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Love 1