Type keyword(s) to search

The Rankin-Bass Christmas Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Tuesday, Dec. 9
Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, 8 p.m., ABC
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, 8 p.m., CBS

Who is the programming genius who put these two against each other?  Is it a competition? It's a good thing that these shows are repeated often! I can remember when they were only on once each year.

Btw, I love Jessica's song, and never noticed that it's been cut.

I always feel so bad for the bird who swims at the end of Rudolph. The elf, not knowing the bird's circumstances, shoves it off the sleigh with no umbrella. I hope it learns to fly fast.

Edited by Dilandau

I always feel so bad for the bird who swims at the end of Rudolph. The elf, not knowing the bird's circumstances, shoves it off the sleigh with no umbrella. I hope it learns to fly fast.

Wait, the bird never got an umbrella like the other misfit toys? I even have the Blu-Ray, and I never noticed that! Poor bird, indeed!

• Love 1

I never really liked that whole show (is that Santa Claus is Coming to Town?)  I do like the Burgermeister, but it just never rang true for me that Santa was a redhead, and Mrs. Claus was named Jessica.  Jessica??!  Puh-leaze.

Plus, even in the dark ages when I first saw it, I was disturbed at the whole "if you sit on my lap today, a kiss a toy is the price you'll pay!" thing.  Great message to send to kids -- trade physical intimacies with strangers for toys and candy!  

I'm surprised the crazy mom brigade hasn't tackled that one yet.  Unless they have.  

• Love 1

How dumb to schedule these specials opposite one another. Cable needs a seasonal Rankin Bass Channel that exists from, say, late November through New Year's Day every year and just show its shows - even the religious-themed specials (<--- hi, Nestor!) no longer seen.

• Love 2

DAMN! I missed them. Now I have to go to the ABCfamily channel to see if they'll air it and I hope I didn't miss it if they already did

Rudolph is only on once this season. I don't think ABC Family has ever (due to rights) shown it as part of their 25 days of Christmas. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town will be on one more time, Wednesday the 17th 5:30 p.m. on ABC Family. 

Rudolph is only on once this season. I don't think ABC Family has ever (due to rights) shown it as part of their 25 days of Christmas. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town will be on one more time, Wednesday the 17th 5:30 p.m. on ABC Family. 

Guess I'll just have to watch Rudolph on my dvd, then. sigh...But I wanted to watch it on tv, does that make sense? At least with the dvd, I get the Peppermint licking scene with Cornelius, which has been edited out in the network airings.

And I'll barely make it home for The Year Without Santa Claus since ABC Family is airing it at 6 p.m. TONIGHT! Jeebus. I think I'll sneak out of work early.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

So did they ever explain why the talking doll was a misfit?  All I can figure is that nobody wants a whiner (I know this from personal experience).

I always assumed it was because she was a plain rag doll and her owner preferred a doll that walked, talked and ran a temperature.

• Love 1

So did they ever explain why the talking doll was a misfit?  All I can figure is that nobody wants a whiner (I know this from personal experience).

In the book about the special, the serious answer is that in the original script, she was a minor , minor character, and the writer never gave her a one

• Love 1

Guess I'll just have to watch Rudolph on my dvd, then. sigh...But I wanted to watch it on tv, does that make sense?

YES! My husband never understands since I have most of them on instant view AND dvd why I'd also need to watch the tv broadcasts... but they are more special when watched live on tv somehow.

I don't know why, but they are.

• Love 5

On The Middle tonight, there was a debate over whether King Moonracer was a toy or not a toy. So I was curious to see what you guys think - toy or not? (I think he's not, for the record.)

Edited by Dilandau

I thought the doll cried jelly?  Or was that some kind of fever dream of mine?

You have the jelly confused with the squirt gun that shoots jelly rather than water!  :-)  As for that damned doll, we also had quite the debate in college (yes, we did have too much time on our hands on occasion!) about just what her deal was. No consensus ever came of it.  :-)

OK, why does ABC Family always cut out this exchange from The Year Without a Santa Claus:

Santa: Okay, Ma, what are you up to?

Mrs. Claus: Up to?  (nervous laugh) Do I look like I'm up to something?

Santa: Well no...but when you don't look like you're up to ANYTHING, you're up to something!

That's my favorite part in the whole show!  It's such an "old married couple" moment.  So what does ABC Family cut it out?

...it just never rang true for me that Santa was a redhead...

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't he be a redhead? Red is the hair color that goes white soonest (blonds and brunettes tend to stay more grey).

Year Without a Santa Claus will be on in primetime on Monday for anyone who couldn't make it home from work in time to catch it already. I sent my sister an Outlook calendar appointment (with location listed as "your couch") so she would make sure she tuned in.

• Love 1

OK, why does ABC Family always cut out this exchange from The Year Without a Santa Claus:

Santa: Okay, Ma, what are you up to?

Mrs. Claus: Up to?  (nervous laugh) Do I look like I'm up to something?

Santa: Well no...but when you don't look like you're up to ANYTHING, you're up to something!

That's my favorite part in the whole show!  It's such an "old married couple" moment.  So what does ABC Family cut it out?

Probably the old standby reason: $$$$$$$$...that is, room for more commercials.

I'll put in a word for The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, an unexpectedly faithful telling of L. Frank Baum's quite pagan origin story. The forest in which he was raised is located just outside Baum's land of Oz.

I love this one. It has one of my favorite songs...

I wanna wake up to a big surprise (big surprise!!)

A little wooden cat with yellow green eyes. (YELLOW GREEN EYES!)

The holiday special with the very best songs is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol though.

• Applause 1

You have the jelly confused with the squirt gun that shoots jelly rather than water!  :-)  As for that damned doll, we also had quite the debate in college (yes, we did have too much time on our hands on occasion!) about just what her deal was. No consensus ever came of it.  :-)

I always thought the water pistol was easily fixable.

• Love 1

A reminder for anyone that may actually be home: CBS is repeating Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer complete with douchey Santa! I think Frosty The Snowman and (to me, far inferior) Frosty Returns (which I usually skip) follows Rudolph.

Yeah, yeah, cartoon...but it always bugged me how Frosty and Santa dropped Karen off on the ROOF. LOL! She's lucky she never slipped on snow and ice and fell off. Or that her parents weren't up waiting, scared and furious, with a whoopin' for Christmas instead.  :-P

I know, I think far too much about logistics here. And off goes my TV. I can't take Frosty Returns. Not Rankin-Bass, not the same animation, just no. Yeah, I'm a purist. Although there were two other R-B Frosty specials in 1976 and 1979, which the late Jackie Vernon also voiced. (I do recall one of 'em was where he met a snow woman named Crystal, and they got married. LOL!)

I have never heard of a peppermint mine scene!  I won't be buying that set though because I've never cared for Frosty the Snowman let alone Frosty Returns (don't hit me!) so it wouldn't be a good value for me.

I love Frosty the Snowman. He fueled my obsession with collecting Snowmen. That Frosty Returns special, though, that was an abomination. I can't deal with it.

• Love 1

So, in Rudolph, do you prefer Fame and Fortune or We're a Couple of Misfits? Because even if you're adding stuff, it seems you can only use one or the other, unless you make one a post show bonus. You can use YouTube for reference.

Edited by GaryE

So, in Rudolph, do you prefer Fame and Fortune or We're a Couple of Misfits?

The misfit song - totally!  It's a song anyone can relate to and it makes more sense in context to the characters singing it .

In fact, a local radio station used it for their local AM morning crew! 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

Thanks, Wendy;  my Rudolph experience is now complete.  I can't believe they refused to restore 30 blinkin' seconds for the 50th anniversary.

And Fame and Fortune will always be my preference.

Nestor is my favorite Christmas special, every single year--I watch it on DVD.  It always makes me cry, and is such a sweet story!  

I bought that on DVD just last year since TV doesn't seem to show Christmas specials with religious overtones anymore, and this coming from someone not overly religious myself, although I'm Catholic. But that was a sweet, sad special, perfect for when you just want a good cry!

And on the topic of Rudolph versus Nestor above, I'm glad you got to see the Peppermint Mine scene, @Qoass ! It is cute, and it is a shame that it wasn't edited back in for the 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray set.

• Love 1

I think I said it afore, and it bears repeating...

While watching "The Year Without Santa Claus" last night, I turned into a blubbering mess, as Claus and Ignatius' father sang "I believe in Santa Claus" and again when Santa got the letter from the little girl who would have a Blue Christmas without him.

*sniff*

What?

• Love 1

I think I said it afore, and it bears repeating...

While watching "The Year Without Santa Claus" last night, I turned into a blubbering mess, as Claus and Ignatius' father sang "I believe in Santa Claus" and again when Santa got the letter from the little girl who would have a Blue Christmas without him.

*sniff*

What?

Wow, I had totally forgotten about this special, but the "Blue Christmas" reference fast reminded me!

I adore Rudolph.  It's the one Christmas special I identify most with my childhood.  Maybe it's because we're the same age, but my favorite memories were of anticipating watching it during the annual showing on TV when I was very young.  'When Christmas day is heeeeere, the most wonderful day of the year'!  See, I'm all tingly!

And I find myself noticing so much more now that it's on TV.  Like the two poor eskimos that get bowled over when the wind knocks over their igloo!  And the purebred variety of Yukon Cornelius; dogs (a dachshund, a St. Bernard, a beagle, a collie, and a poodle!).

But damn, Santa and the older reindeer were just so darn mean!  It doesn't affect my enjoyment of it, but there are many older TV holicay specials that have the same un-PC-ness that was, unfortunately, part of things created during the 60's & 70's.

• Love 1

That Frosty Returns special, though, that was an abomination. I can't deal with it.

It's truly terrible. The animation is sub-par and the ONE song is so unmemorable and bland it must have been penned by a Jonas Brother or two while still in diapers.

I have the original recipe "Rudolph" on DVD along with several other specials. I watched it last weekend and saw the peppermint mine scene. That is so cute! I collected all the "Rudolph" plush toys that CVS put out a few years ago. I wish that I had the sled dogs and the Eskimos!

• Love 2

I know it's not a Rankin-Bass, but I sure do wish one of the networks would air Looney Tunes' "Christmas Carol" where Yosemete Sam was Scrooge, I think.

Sigh...And how come I haven't seen How The Grinch Stole Christmas and I'm not talking about the live-action one!

I know it's not a Rankin-Bass, but I sure do wish one of the networks would air Looney Tunes' "Christmas Carol" where Yosemete Sam was Scrooge, I think.

Sigh...And how come I haven't seen How The Grinch Stole Christmas and I'm not talking about the live-action one!

It looks like the cartoon Grinch is a one time only this year. Christmas night on ABC.

• Love 1