Type keyword(s) to search

The Rankin-Bass Christmas Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2018-12-01 at 4:32 PM, Blergh said:

Nope, after the

Reveal hidden contents

meltdown

Santa specifically said that Frosty could be revived due to having been created from ' Christmas snow' (not Christmas Eve snow) and no one called out Santa for being mistaken or a liar re Frosty's origin.  

The narrator at the beginning says that it's the day before Christmas, and the whole story takes place that same day. He refers to the snow as "Christmas snow" in that same intro, so it's clearly meant to be broader than just Christmas Day.  Karen gets on the train saying her Mom probably won't mind as long as she's home by Christmas, and the animals in the forest are waiting for Santa to come, which also points to Christmas Eve. 

• Love 5
On 10/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, merylinkid said:

Who is careying the Rankin:Bass shiws this year?  I missed most of them last year expecting them to be on Freeform and they were on another channel.

Thanks.

I believe that Freeform may be carrying them this year, but I'm not sure.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, merylinkid said:

Who is careying the Rankin:Bass shiws this year?  I missed most of them last year expecting them to be on Freeform and they were on another channel.

Thanks.

Both AMC and FreeForm are carrying them.

AMC's schedule below:

Specials

Donkey's Caroling Christmas-tacular (2011)

Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper, The (2005)

Frosty's Winter Wonderland (1976)

Twas the Night Before Christmas (1974)

First Christmas, The: The Story of the First Christmas Snow (1975)

Leprechauns' Christmas Gold, The (1981)

Little Drummer Boy Book II, The (1976)

Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey (1977)

Merry Madagascar (2009)

How Murray Saved Christmas (2014)

Jack Frost (1979)

Rudolph's Shiny New Year (1976)

Year Without a Santa Claus, The (1974)

Life & Adventures of Santa Claus, The (1985)

Pinocchio's Christmas (1980)

Michael Bublé's Christmas in Hollywood (2015)

Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July (1979)

Freeform's 25 Days of Christmas will start on December 1.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, merylinkid said:

thank you.   looks like AMC has the ones I want.   Just hope they are not on at 7 a.m.

Ears Nestor.

God, poor Nestor. Happy to have the Blu-Ray, as sad as it is, since the TV airings became so sparse.

Everything turned out okay for Nestor.   Although WHY he returned to his old home where everyone once picked on him I have no clue.   But there's a lot of things in Rankin Bass that make no sense.   

Like you are a damn flying reindeer Rudolph -- go AFTER the Baby New Year when he is blown away.   Me, every. single. year.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Frosty Returns is the weird one with the spray can de-icer.

Frosty's Winter Wonderland is the true sequel to Frosty the Snowman.   Although I watched it yesterday on AMC and got creeped out.    They built Crystal to his exact specifications.   Ewwwww.   My mind went places I don't want it to go with regards to Frosty.

I also watched Rudolph's Shiny New Year (little early for that one folks, play it during the week between Christmas and New Year).   In addition to yelling at Rudolph that he is a freaking flying reindeer when Happy gets blown away and they all moan about how he is lost again, I have a new gripe.    When he was with the Baby Happy at Eon's nest, he forces Happy to remove his hat.   Happy doesn't want to because people laugh at his ears.   Rudolph actually says "C'mon we are friends aren't we?"   Yeah Rudolph if you were really Happy's friend you wouldn't be trying to make him do something he so clearly does not want to do.   Real friends respect boundaries.    In other words, Rudolph is just as much a bully as his old reindeer buddies who made fun of his red nose.   

Now the first Christas Snow made me cry like it always does.    And never ever forget "even a miracle needs a hand*"   And of course "I believe in Santa Claus like I believe in love.**"

*Twas the Night Before Christmas. 

** The Year Without a Santa Claus. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Frosty's Winter Wonderland is the true sequel to Frosty the Snowman.   Although I watched it yesterday on AMC and got creeped out.    They built Crystal to his exact specifications.   Ewwwww.   My mind went places I don't want it to go with regards to Frosty.

Frosty liked 'em plump!

• LOL 1

Why is Freeform only showing The Little Drummer Boy in the middle of the night or super early in the morning?  I scrolled through their entire schedule, trying to find a showing I could actually watch without setting an alarm clock!  That's always one of my classic Christmas shows.

• Love 1

People on my FB are going nuts because there has been online criticism of Rudolph.  Of course they are focusing on the accusation that the show is racist and ignoring the other negative things - like the relentless bullying.  I raised my head above the parapet to comment that watching it as an adult makes me dislike Santa and pretty much every other adult character be they elf or reindeer who live at the North Pole.  Lesson from Rudolph is that people will pick on you until they need something from you!  

• Love 1

Now let's talk the US-centrism of this, most notably Rudolph's Shiny New Year and The Year Without a Santa Claus.

In RSNY:   In the Archipelago of lost years, they go to 1776.   Where it's always the 4th of July.  Because the colonies declaring independence was the only thing that happened that entire year in the whole world.   Also, if it's really always 1776, then there would not be a parade on July 4.    Pretty sure they were just trying to keep an army in the field.   

YWSC:   They go to Southtown to find some Christmas Spirit.    The Mayor says if they make it snow in Southtown, he will get with all the Mayors and give Santa a NATIONAL holiday.   Great awesome.   That gives him a day off in one country.   I doubt all the other countries are going to give Santa a holiday because the Mayors of the US said so.

The older I get the more cynical I get.   Except the First Christmas Snow and Nestor.   Also Jack Frost and the K-nighits.   Hubby and I still say the K on all words now.    

• Love 1

Why do they never play The Stingiest Man in Town anymore?  A number of those songs still pop up in my head, especially around this time ("A Heavy Chain", "How can anyone be so stingy", "Yes, there is A Santa Claus", "Mankind is my Business").

On 11/2/2019 at 5:19 AM, merylinkid said:

Like you are a damn flying reindeer Rudolph

LOL, we watched this a few days ago and my daughter kept saying "does he remember he can FLY? Why does he need a whale to take him anywhere?"  I'll watch the whole thing just to hear Baby Bear say "but I thought you was my friend".  

• Love 2

Well, after watching my Trifecta of Christmas movies on Christmas Eve,( Trading Places, Home Alone, Die Hard) I watched The Year Without Santa Claus and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the ORIGINAL ANIMATED one, not that insult live action one) yesterday.

"I believe in Santa Claus" and "Blue Christmas" still never fails to make me tear up. *sniff*

• Love 4

Has anyone else found that the little kids in their lives don't seem as keen on many of these holiday specials?  Around my house Charlie Brown the Grinch and Frosty seem to have gone over well (although they watched them once, nobody wanted to see them again) but when I've tried some of the other Christmas shows I've ended up turning them off - I was particularly surprised that the kiddies didn't seem to get into Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  Of course they have no idea who Fred Astaire is so there's that, but even so....

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PennyPlain said:

Has anyone else found that the little kids in their lives don't seem as keen on many of these holiday specials?  Around my house Charlie Brown the Grinch and Frosty seem to have gone over well (although they watched them once, nobody wanted to see them again) but when I've tried some of the other Christmas shows I've ended up turning them off - I was particularly surprised that the kiddies didn't seem to get into Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  Of course they have no idea who Fred Astaire is so there's that, but even so....

Yes. I think it's the glut of tv and devices they have. My little one (5) still enjoys "The Grinch" though. 

I don’t know if this is a UO but the Rudolph and Frosty Christmas in July was just so dumb. I don’t get why they have them sing the misfit song from the original—Frosty, you are NOT a misfit, there are tons of talking snow people in the North Pole!

And because Rudolph got treated like shit enough in the original, I’m going to be petty and say I hate how those circus morons automatically believed Rudolph’s fake confession about giving the money to that crook and turned on him without question. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I avoid Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July.   It's just too weird.   The whole Aurora magic thing as to why Rudolph can fly.   Yeah no.   It's the magic seed corn.   

Stop retconning shit, Rankin/Bass!

• LOL 4

Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July first aired when I was four.  I remember being really, really excited that they were going to be in a special together, but I have no recollection of the show itself. 

A few years ago, Rudolph's Shiny New Year aired on ABC while I was on the phone with my friend.  She was like, "What the hell is going on?!"  I was sure I'd seen it before, and after a few minutes, it started to come back to me so that I could attempt to explain it.

I recently watched Frosty's Winter Wonderland again.  The first time I saw it, probably 20 years ago, I was lying on the couch because I wasn't feeling too well that day was being very grouchy and snarky toward all the specials that were airing.  When Parson Brown shows up and then tells Frosty and Crystal that a parson is only allowed to marry real people, I sarcastically yelled out, "Why don't you get a snow-parson?"  Of course, that's pretty much exactly the next thing that comes out of Parson Brown's mouth.  That made me laugh a lot.

• LOL 4

I do have a soft spot for Jack Frost because it manages to avoid the Nice Guy trope quite well. Once Jack realizes that Elisa wasn't in love with him as Jack Snipp -- and that her "love" for Jack Frost was just a lighthearted fancy -- he's heartbroken, but accepts his fate without bitterness. If you think about it, the setup is similar to the Hans Christian Anderson Little Mermaid.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think Rudolph's Shiny New Year is one of the absolute worst of the Rankin-Bass specials, because aside from the boring, convoluted plot, you know what it made me realize?

Rudolph sucks.

The plot involves Baby New Year (called "Happy") running away because everyone keeps laughing at his big ears (hmmm, glad that doesn't remind me of another story). Rudolph is recruited to find him, and along the way it's the same old story: Happy seeks refuge, people laugh at his ears, he runs away again, lather, rinse, repeat.

After a small eternity, Rudolph finally finds Happy, and tries to comfort him and relate to him; after all, Rudolph has experience with being mocked and ridiculed for his unique looks, so he can naturally empathize, right? Rudolph then gives this aspirational (though really self-congratulatory) speech:

You see? I stuck it out. And when I grew older, I found that this nose was the most wonderful thing in the whole world because it was a different nose from everybody else's. And it was all mine. It was really me.

So he coaxes Happy into showing him his ears. And Rudolph... fucking laughs. Then he goes on to say,

Aw, now don't get upset because I laughed. I couldn't help myself. Those ears made me feel so wonderful that all the happiness inside me just - just had to pop out. Same way with everybody else. Those ears, why they make folks... happy.

FUCK YOU, RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED ASSHAT!

You mean after experiencing ridicule and rejection because of a physical abnormality that you had no control over, you have the audacity to tell a baby to basically suck it up when people laugh at his looks? You really learned nothing, not even the barest minimum of empathy? You little hypocrite! You're basically saying, "Hey, kids, you should be proud when people laugh at how you look and exclude you from their social circles, because your misery makes them happy! Their happiness matters the most, because yours sure as hell doesn't! Screw healthy self-regard and wanting respect and kindness from the world, self-martyrdom is the way to go!"

And, hey, Rudolph? You were only accepted because the people who were complicit in your bullying basically exploited the very thing they bullied you for, so I'd ease off the sanctimonious pomposity if I were you! God, I hope Heat Miser roasts you into venison!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Know what? I don't care. I'm going to watch all of these and enjoy them because I watched them growing up, and loved them then. I'm going to pretend I'm still that kid and just enjoy them. All, well, most and The original Grinch. And Charlie Brown Christmas.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Know what? I don't care. I'm going to watch all of these and enjoy them because I watched them growing up, and loved them then. I'm going to pretend I'm still that kid and just enjoy them. All, well, most and The original Grinch. And Charlie Brown Christmas.

The original Grinch is the best Christmas movie ever and always will be.

• Love 8

Okay another thing that annoys me about Christmas in July: Lady Borelalis said that the nose would go out if Rudolph used it for an evil purpose. But apparently intent doesn’t count for shit, because Rudolph didn’t KNOW they were stealing the money? And the nose would come back if he just told the truth?! So if he lets people think he’s guilty the nose stays out?! But he gets it back by saving Frosty and/or wearing the magic hat?!

Those conditions all contradict each other! Pick a plotline, Rankin/Bass!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

A couple of videos I found via recommendations from YouTube that I had to share here:

First: is there a Rankin/Bass Cinematic universe?

Second: The more "obscure" films/series from Rankin/Bass:

• Love 1

My personal thoughts on 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

I have a complicated relationship with this one. I think the music and songs are among the best in the Rankin/Best catalog (except "Give Your Heart a Try"). The animation is imperfect but appealing (I like the vaguely anime look of latter day R/B specials). I love that they got Joel Grey and Tammy Grimes, and I greatly enjoyed the running gag of the mayor getting bored with his own pomposity and long-windedness (oh, if only real politicians were like that).

But I'm not going to lie, the story really irks me. I think Santa comes off a completely unforgivable douchebag for screwing over all over Junctionville just because of one letter signed "all of us". Yes, you could argue that Albert Mouse's skepticism doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I don't like that the moral of the story is that questioning anything and having opinions will cause nothing but misery, and that blind faith is always the way to go (I also don't like that Albert is basically the Brainy Smurf of the family). Don't get me wrong; a little blind faith here and there certainly doesn't hurt, but that doesn't mean you should surrender all good sense or never voice your thoughts. I've observed that blind, unquestioning, slavish loyalty and mob mentality actually cause way more destruction and problems than a little healthy skepticism. I know, none of this should apply to a silly story about Santa Claus, but it still bothers me. That's also why I think "Give Your Heart a Try" is the weakest song; its message seems to be "Thinking BAD! Mindlessly believing stuff GOOD!" 

Besides, Santa seemed to be teaching the town a lesson in belief... but not only does he send their letters back, he then visibly and loudly shows up! Dude, do you really think messing with an entire town and yanking their chain like that is the best way to prove your existence and foster good faith?! This just makes you look like a thin-skinned loser who can't ignore the mumblings of one insignificant letter! Besides, shouldn't all the other letters from Junctionville disprove that the offending letter was from the entire town? Maybe you're the one who needs a lesson in faith, Jolly Ol' St. Jerk!

And yet, I can't bring myself to hate the special, if only because of the music. Seriously, "Christmas Chimes" and "Even a Miracle Needs a Hand" always get me right in the feels. I'm almost willing to overlook the anti-intellectualism just for those songs.

p.s.

I realize that I contradict myself a lot in my post, but this special contradicts itself, too!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

But I'm not going to lie, the story really irks me. I think Santa comes off a completely unforgivable douchebag for screwing over all over Junctionville just because of one letter signed "all of us".

If Rankin and Bass have taught us anything, it's that Santa is pissy, overly-sensitive, and petty. He supposedly knows if you're bad or good, so he should know that a freaking mouse (and his friends) wrote the letter, not an entire community.

And you know who is also an asshole? That operator from Mouse Bell. He's such a jerk for no reason. "The equipment is in working order." Everyone from the North Pole is super rude.

ETA: Rewatching this right now; how does Father Mouse literally know NOTHING about clocks as a clock-maker's apprentice?

And yet, I still love this, and all other Rankin Bass Christmas specials.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 3

I will never understand why Santa wouldn’t just chalk off snotty Albert as one who was on the naughty list. I couldn’t stand him as a kid, and I still can’t stand him as an adult. 

And I’m talking about Albert who I can’t stand just in case it wasn’t clear.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3