Type keyword(s) to search

Odd Mom Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, bosawks said:

Brooke as Jan Brady is maybe the best thing I've seen all year!

I found that even funnier because the Christine Taylor, who played eldest sister Barrett, was also Marcia Brady in that Brady Bunch movie.

Funny, funny episode. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Darian said:

I found that even funnier because the Christine Taylor, who played eldest sister Barrett, was also Marcia Brady in that Brady Bunch movie.

Funny, funny episode. 

"Barret, Barrett, Barret"

• Love 2

This was a hilarious episode. The idea of Brooke being the NICE sister was unexpected and so fun. Those girls were the WORST. But done so well. 

I actually didn't mind Jill that much this episode. As a grownup punkrocker of yore, I got her Edward Scissorhands comment. I have toned it down over the years, but I'm ALWAYS the odd one out at family gatherings. 

I can't believe they haven't had that storyline with Vanessa before, but that was funny as well. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

This was a hilarious episode. The idea of Brooke being the NICE sister was unexpected and so fun. Those girls were the WORST. But done so well. 

I actually didn't mind Jill that much this episode. As a grownup punkrocker of yore, I got her Edward Scissorhands comment. I have toned it down over the years, but I'm ALWAYS the odd one out at family gatherings. 

I can't believe they haven't had that storyline with Vanessa before, but that was funny as well. 

The Vanessa SL was cute, but she seems so removed from the rest of the show. It's almost as if she could be totally separate TV show. I have a doctor friend and I'll have to ask her if she gets that sort of thing. LOL I've had nurse friends complain of it.

No mashed potatoes and gravy on Thanksgiving?! Blasphemy!

Where was the exterior of that house filmed? I may have missed it, but is this the oldest sister's house or Brooke's family home? It seemed odd Brooke's parents weren't there. It was nice to see Brooke and Jill bond over cake. Heh heh. Anyone notice that the youngest sister (can't remember her name) is also Montana from "Younger"? The man who plays Lex (Sean Kleier--I probably spelled that wrong) had been on a "Younger" ep a season or so ago.

• Love 1

OMG... I watch Younger and did not make the connection until now. I guess all blonde waspy people look alike to me (that includes numerous members of my family).  The Thanksgiving episode DID remind me of season 2 of Ladies of London. Juliette, who bears a striking resemblance to Jill, wanted a Thanksgiving celebration her way, and not at her friend's restaurant, because it wouldn't feel like "Thanksgiving".  She coerced her British friend to host a Thanksgiving at her own home.  (Because, as we all know, it's a British holiday...)

• Love 6
On 8/2/2017 at 9:01 PM, 17wheatthins said:

I really laughed when she said she was Edward Scissorhands and Andy's image of her looking just like him.

And I was pleased that they saved the visual gag for the show itself--that line has been in the ads all season, but they never showed the full Scissorhands, LOL. Also impressed that they did all that makeup for like 2 seconds of screen time. That's commitment! :) 

On 8/4/2017 at 6:42 AM, ghoulina said:

I'm still laughing about it!

• Love 5
On 7/14/2017 at 7:55 AM, DrivingSideways said:

I really can't stand Vanessa... I find her really shoe-horned into the show and adding nothing.  She and Jill have little chemistry so their repartee comes across really forced to me.  Otherwise I love this show.

I couldn't agree with this more.  I hope they are paying Abby Elliott a ton of money because she makes the show and I would never be watching it without the Brooke character.  And she's the nice one!

• Love 7

I loved the murder trial as well. I'm noticing as long as there is minimal Jill, the show is very fun. 

But, am I the only one who thought the wife STILL could have killed her husband, even if it clearly wasn't premeditated? LOL, I was all - "Well, what DID happen to him??"

• Love 4

This show would be wise to stay politically neutral. Way too heavy handed in this ep. I don't like someone telling me how to think. I watch comedy shows to be entertained, but people like Jill live in an echo chamber and can't help themselves. No, I don't love Trump, but chill on the politics. 

• Love 7
On 8/6/2017 at 9:11 PM, Atlanta said:

I am no longer watching this because of prissy Jill. I've enjoyed her books in the past. That's what initially drew me in. 

On 8/10/2017 at 3:28 PM, ghoulina said:

I'm noticing as long as there is minimal Jill, the show is very fun. 

Jill is just a really bad actress. She should stick to writing,  and not being in front of the camera. 

• Love 8

Yeah, I don't believe for a second that Vanessa -- a doctor, as THE END OF THE EPISODE REMINDS US -- would do any of those treatments.

I love how the show pulls no punches when it comes to Trump and Pence('s anus). 

• Love 1

I adored this show in its first season.  Loved Jill's writing and got a huge kick out of her and the show.  I thought the comparisons with the Upper East Siders was a blast to watch.  I cheered when OMO was renewed.  This season is a complete disappointment.  The dialogue is too full of scatalogical humor which IMO is super lazy and cheapens Jill's writing skills plus the storylines are just too narrow in their focus on Jill's little family.  I never laugh, never am amused.  This Lex storyline is lame; too much Candace; way too little Brooke.  I may not finish the season and I'm so bummed -- this odd mom is probably "out".

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4
On 9/1/2017 at 11:21 AM, mansonlamps said:

Little to no Brooke plus way too much chemistry-free "best friends" Jill and Vanessa equals baaad episode.

This is one of the few shows where they portray a good, competition and cattiness-free friendship, yet it loses a big amount of the punch because of the complete lack of chemistry between Jill and Vanessa. The banter is there to make us think it's there but it it's a rhythm with no soul, 90% of the time. 

Im still watching for the moments that  the humor isn't desperately frantic for a laugh or is some good OTT observational fun or where the characters seem like actual people, but again, the percentage is pretty low, unfortunately, 

• Love 2

This show lost its spark. Abby Elliot is great but the character isn't the same. I know that the point is that she's evolved into a strong business woman, but I'm missing that old upper east side bitchy mom. Lex is ok but what was the point of the Mars-X storyline? It (literally) went nowhere. No growth with anyone else- Jill whines in every episode, Andy seems like a sad sack, nothing really happened with Candace, Vanessa is boring, I don't really see the point of the southern woman...why do I watch this show? 

was the doctor best friend always such a slut? sleeping with two strange men in a very short amount of time, getting a belly button piercing and not remembering because she was so shitfaced ? and they passed out on the sidewalk in front of the hotel? not believable either. while i found the thanksgiving episode really funny, it has reverted back to crap. i don't think this season is living up to the first, and it may be the last? which is too bad. it has a lot of potential. some of the dialog is really funny. disappointed.

• Love 2
On 9/8/2017 at 4:38 PM, ghoulina said:

I wouldn't call her a slut, but I am disappointed that they can't give her more interesting storylines than falling into bed with random dudes. 

I agree, she's not a slut at all, but I am confused by how practically any single man in her radius is automatically attracted to her. It's like they have no idea how to write a single female character on this show

1 minute ago, VagueDisclaimer said:
Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 2

I finally got around to watching the last episodes and I must say that this season was pretty terrible overall. Episode 4 was by far the best. I really like most of the characters and I´ve always found this show hysterically funny but I agree with many of you that it has lost it´s spark. It´s annoying how the best characters and funniest plot-lines weren´t used properly. Way to under-use Lex and the Mars stuff by turning him into an idiot who then decided to not go to Mars, what was the point then? They have it all, the school, snobs, von Webers,  yet they decide to focus mostly on the grandma and/or the kids, that just aren´t funny unless they´re in the right context. And I felt like Jill was too often being vulgar instead of funny, and I hated the period stuff.

• Love 3
On 9/8/2017 at 3:28 PM, msrachelj said:

was the doctor best friend always such a slut? sleeping with two strange men in a very short amount of time, getting a belly button piercing and not remembering because she was so shitfaced ? and they passed out on the sidewalk in front of the hotel? not believable either. while i found the thanksgiving episode really funny, it has reverted back to crap. i don't think this season is living up to the first, and it may be the last? which is too bad. it has a lot of potential. some of the dialog is really funny. disappointed.

I don't think she was originally written this way, I think they are trying to make her character relevant in a show about a world of which she really isn't a part.  The free and easy Vanessa is someone who Jill can envy maybe?   The character might fit into the show better if she and Jill had the slightest bit of chemistry so they would be believable as best friends.  I'm not sure why I watch this but I keep coming back.

• Love 1

The annoying thing is that the only real storyline for Vanessa had to do with men (broken relationship, sex, more sex, another relationship). She's a single, 40 something career woman- why not explore more of that? Why is her only focus about finding a man? Oh, and her new boyfriend's voice or manner of speaking is so grating. Sounds perpetually stoned.

The 10 episode limit hurts the show. There's no real character or storyline development. Too much is done for shock value and it's all so boring. I've found Jill the character to be whiny and annoying and I find Jill Kargman to be rather full of herself and snotty (from interviews). This show had promise, but it's now a chore to watch a 30 min episode ?.

• Love 2

Many things were strange about this season that made it different than the previous seasons... it used to be so great with the "everyday" issues of life (well, life as lived in the UES)... the overblown reactions to normal stuff like school projects, competitive frenemies, and who ends up with the check at dinners with big groups of friends. This season had its stunt casting with Dave Navarro, the whole space trip storyline, Vanessa dating a succession of randoms, the unfunny sequestered jury storyline, the artist friend from California who just sort of shows up and disappears, the weird and obvious product placement, and a whole bunch of other things that felt like the show was shooting for "bigger" stories than the observational stuff it had done so well previously. I think in previous seasons, the period stuff would've been handled differently and also in a more humorous and more subtle way.

I did love the Thanksgiving episode, though. That also was the one where Vanessa ended up with all her sick neighbors in her apartment, right? I loved that storyline--perfect one for Vanessa. Starts with a meet-cute  and ends up being tied to her career in a very funny way.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 5

I agree. The Thanksgiving episode was the stand-out. I think that was probably because, as you said, it had that more "observational" tone. Oh, you thought the UES bitches were bad? Check out the uber-rich, suburban moms!!! I found it hilarious that Brooke was the "good one" in that family. And yes, a more job-focused SL was great for Vanessa as well. 

• Love 4
On September 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM, ghoulina said:

Ugh, I did not care for this period-centered episode. 

OMG I freaking loooooved it! I rewound the song 3 times to catch all the lines and dh was laughing his ass off too. Maybe i found it extra funny since Aunt Flo happened to be visiting at the time lol. I liked that she got daughter to laugh and smile about it. I remember thinking I gotta deal with this shit every month for the next 40 years? It was a horrifying thought....wish I had someone to do a musical number about it to make me laugh!

• Love 3

I binged the 3 seasons over the last few days. I have to agree with the posters in this thread, and I don't get it. Season 1-2 were so good, and then in season 3 it all just fell apart. Too much focus on uninteresting characters, and Jill became so tense and unlikeable all of a sudden. It's baffling how much the show creator managed to screw it all up in just one season.

• Love 1