Type keyword(s) to search

Odd Mom Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The end of this episode was just so brilliantly weird! Molly was great. 

OMO really hit its stride this season. I enjoyed the first season, but this season, the writing and characters were really sharp, and the cultural references perfect. I'm also glad that Vanessa had more character development this season, instead of simply being Jill's sounding board.

Bravo, Bravo! If you can bring back Girlfriends' Guide to Unrealistic Storylines That Are Clearly the Writers' Own Wishful Thinking, you can bring back Odd Mom Out!

• Love 8

I was really surprised even after such a lackluster and derivative season how flat and predictable overall the finale was.  The investment scammer seemed to be telegraphed rather early on, pretty much since the ass grab episode with him and the mother.  Though maybe that was just one episode ago?  It's hard to keep track with something so flat.  But I didn't mind that so much had they done something different with it.  Rich obnoxious people lose their money as a shift for new season material?  Why not roll out a baby for the best friend while we are at it? 

Bridesmaid ugly dress?  Let's not put it a sharp or clever twist but just go flat out as trite as can be.  It underscores the problem how the show often cannot simply develop for me or go deeper.  Lazy and twists every little thing, even when it does not have to, to find a joke.  A joke that is often so overdone already.  Brooke would never let anyone look like Jill did.  No matter how much scorn she has for Jill.  This was all about Brooke.  Instead she would have either exiled Jill to the vestibule to sign in guests or had her forced to undergo a proper bride's maid transformation.  The joke could have been that she was completely unrecognizable.  And either was repulsed by how many of her own family did not even recognize her or shallowly fell in love with her new but impossible to maintain image.

The can't let this important to an event person I offended recognize me?   Yeah that was a dry well to go to.  Why not have the Joy character find it hilarious and even admirable that Jill is so ballsy and it worries Jill that someone so heinous gloms on to her even as this Joy also shows no remorse for being a creepy fake.   I get that they had to have a scene that writes the Joy character off because affording even Molly Ringwald might be a bit much.  Though I find that hard to believe. 

I found the best friend character more amusing as she battled and bedded that guy she ended up dumping this season.  Her angst over her ex-husband again felt been there and done that for me without the slightest effort to give it a twist or fresh look.  This was something I binge half-watched thanks to the lull in summer viewing that the Olympics played a big part in creating.  If it comes back the same time next year I doubt I'll bother.  Interesting premise steamrollered by a shaky hand, lack of vision and a really bad lead who should spend more time dusting off the plot points the show borrows so heavily instead of trying to be an actress whose 'acting' gears screech, spark and smoke every time she tries to be all thespian on a scene.  Which is whenever she is on screen.   And other than Abby she manages to drag the rest down whenever they are in the same scene with her. 

• Love 1

I love this show. It's one of the few programs I make a point of viewing and after last night's finale I really hope there's a Season 3. I'm not as prescient as the posters above who all saw the Madoff twist coming lol. But I would love to see what a Season 3 could do with Lex, Candice and especially Brooke. 

One of the things I really loved about this show was that all the things that carried thru...the Von Webers stayed the Vons, the name of the art dealer dropped during Brooke's NY Times interview shows up in the finale, and especially the Joy Manifesto.

• Love 3

I didn't see the Madoff thing coming either and I thought it was hilarious - Jill shepherding her family out of there like they were in a war torn country. Just priceless. 

I usually find the actress who plays Jill a bit too OTT for me, but I think it worked last night, especially when officiating the ridiculous vow renewal. Thirty minutes of staring at each other? What in the ever loving fuck? The VonWebers never get old for me, and I can't wait to see how they navigate being broke. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I usually find the actress who plays Jill a bit too OTT for me, but I think it worked last night, especially when officiating the ridiculous vow renewal.

I was very amused by the quick montage of Jill in her various "officiant" outfits.  I think the quick humorous flashes (that aren't beaten to death) make the best parts.  Just the fact that Candace was wearing a bridal gown was funnier to me than 22 minutes of Jill desperately seeking Hamilton tickets.

I thought it was sweet that Jill's husband had secretly bought one of her photos from her website, and maybe didn't deserve to have his head taken off.

The Von Webbers are dependably consistent, but the main character is so sporadic--sometimes generous and reasonable, frequently unlikeable and a real pain in the ass. 

It's a strange show.

Is anyone else creeped out my Molly's teeth?

IIRC, the dead butterfly thing was a callback to one of the books Jill wrote with Carrie Karasyov (The Right Address?). Some society hens were gossiping about a wedding where people were to release butterflies but they were dead. 

I really hope Brooke, Lex and Candace have some cash. I watch this show to marvel at the outrageousness of the Von Webers. Abby Elliott looked stunning in that wedding gown. I want that dark pink lipstick. As tenativelyyours said, a Brooke type (or any decent thinking bride with a modicum of fashion sense) wouldn't select such an ugly b-maid dress like Jill's. The ugly bmaid dress is a tired cliche. 

Also, we know that Andy started a new job, but where did he go? Surely not the crappy law firm he was with before.

It will be nice to see Jill get some career success. 

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 1

Isn't Brooke's bag company still worth an obscene about of money? Weren't they just offered that obscene amount of money to sell it and Brooke rejected that offer? How could Brooke's bag company be at risk of being Madoff'ed? Maybe the bag company owes the seed money back to her husband, and he needs that back now to pay his creditors? I suppose the bag company could have invested money directly with the Madoff character, but I don't recall hearing anything about that. It's all very confusing, but otherwise amusing. Especially Molly Ringwald.

Edited by ahpny

Jill Kargman giving People magazine a tour of her house. This video illustrates perfectly my problem with the show. As much as Jill Kargman wants to mock rich Manhattanites, she's always been one of them. She doesn't seem to understand what a great privilege it is to own a Manhattan townhouse (that was no doubt purchased with family money, because Jill surely doesn't make that much with her writing) and to have Karl Lagerfeld design her wedding dress. She doesn't actually know what it's like to be an outsider in that world, and she's not a good enough actress to convincingly pretend, which is why her performance is often so jarring. It's especially bad when contrasted with Abby Elliott's subtle but brilliant performance.

I think it would be a much better show with a real actress playing Jill Webber, and with Jill Kargman staying behind the scenes.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ahpny said:

Isn't Brooke's bag company still worth an obscene about of money? Weren't they just offered that obscene amount of money to sell it and Brooke rejected that offer? How could Brooke's bag company be at risk of being Madoff'ed? Maybe the bag company owes the seed money back to her husband, and he needs that back now to pay his creditors? I suppose the bag company could have invested money directly with the Madoff character, but I don't recall hearing anything about that. It's all very confusing, but otherwise amusing. Especially Molly Ringwald.

I'm not 100% sure, but if Lex and Not!Madoff are in a legal partnership, then Lex would also share liability (and technically should have also been arrested), and if that same partnership funded Van Webber (as opposed to Lex giving Brooke some of his own money), Brooke might be forced to liquidate, and as soon as that's public knowledge, the buyout offer will become much, much smaller. 

Whatever, I still don't believe that Brooke, Lex, and Candace are actually going to be poor and have to get food service jobs and move to Brooklyn. There's already a show about that, it's called 2 Broke Girls. I think their problem will be losing their status as Upper East Side's top dogs because all their former friends will blame Lex for brining Not!Madoff into their lives.

• Love 2

Agree, Chocolatine. That would make for a boring show and, as you said, there's already a show about that. I tried to watch that show, but it was painful--the characters grated. It would also be like "The OC" when the Coopers were suddenly poor. I watch a show like that to get some funny and vicarious moments. I want a show about ridic rich people! LOL :D :D There are other shows I'll watch when I want realist, gritty TV. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Jill Kargman giving People magazine a tour of her house. This video illustrates perfectly my problem with the show. As much as Jill Kargman wants to mock rich Manhattanites, she's always been one of them. She doesn't seem to understand what a great privilege it is to own a Manhattan townhouse (that was no doubt purchased with family money, because Jill surely doesn't make that much with her writing) and to have Karl Lagerfeld design her wedding dress. She doesn't actually know what it's like to be an outsider in that world, and she's not a good enough actress to convincingly pretend, which is why her performance is often so jarring. It's especially bad when contrasted with Abby Elliott's subtle but brilliant performance.

I think it would be a much better show with a real actress playing Jill Webber, and with Jill Kargman staying behind the scenes.

That was interesting, I love seeing in people's homes!

If Jill acted more like herself on that video, the show would be great.  On that clip she was interesting and had personality without being so over the top, as she is on the show.  The People clip was just much more natural.

Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:30 PM, chocolatine said:

Whatever, I still don't believe that Brooke, Lex, and Candace are actually going to be poor and have to get food service jobs and move to Brooklyn. There's already a show about that, it's called 2 Broke Girls.

Hee!  I don't think the Von W's will be working for tips, either.  But there's still a lot of amusing potential in the "money is no object" set suddenly forced to consider priorities.

I can think of a few plots just based on whether "the second Gulfstream" is cost-effective.  Sacrifices must now be made; decisions, decisions.

On August 31, 2016 at 10:30 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm not 100% sure, but if Lex and Not!Madoff are in a legal partnership, then Lex would also share liability (and technically should have also been arrested), and if that same partnership funded Van Webber (as opposed to Lex giving Brooke some of his own money), Brooke might be forced to liquidate, and as soon as that's public knowledge, the buyout offer will become much, much smaller. 

Whatever, I still don't believe that Brooke, Lex, and Candace are actually going to be poor and have to get food service jobs and move to Brooklyn. There's already a show about that, it's called 2 Broke Girls. I think their problem will be losing their status as Upper East Side's top dogs because all their former friends will blame Lex for brining Not!Madoff into their lives.

I thought the idea was that Lex, instead of being a real hedge fund guy, just took his clients' money and turned it over to NotMadoff to invest (which actually happened with Madoff, there were lots of victims who were not directly invested with Madoff).  So Lex and the guy weren't partners, but Lex on his own isn't a stock market guru.

I thought the entire thing was pretty funny, and setting them up for season 3, with Brooke belong the powerful one (as opposed to Lex or Candace), since she has the money and the business.  

I agree with everyone else that the bad bridesmaid dress wasn't true to who Brooke is.

I want to see Brooke turn into the next Tory Burch and Jill have a successful gallery show. She can find a niche with weird nudes and open up her own studio.

I thought Lex's money came from marketing bagels in China or something like that.

• Love 1

"Frisky Business" was hilarious, with Candace living in Jill and Andy's apartment, Lex and Brooke dealing with having to "cut down" to not having a yacht or 7-days-a-week "staff," and Andy struggling with accepting that Hazel is growing up.  Funny stuff!

I'm curious how else the fall out from the Madoff-like scandal will materialize throughout this season.

7 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Ugh...I think I'm coming down from my initial OMO high.  Jill seems grating and forced (bee tee dubs, raggedy anne).  Brooke and Devon were the stars of this episode.

Abby Elliott, Joanna Cassidy, Brooke's sidekicks and the guy who plays Lex (can't remember his name) make the show. I'd watch a whole show of just Brooke. Ah! Those sweet kids.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, butterbody said:

"You can't iron your pants while you're wearing them!"

Vanessa: "I'll write you a prescription for an ironing board!"  I especially enjoyed watching Brookes' young son fix a gourmet-style lunch for his brother and sister!  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Ugh...I think I'm coming down from my initial OMO high.  Jill seems grating and forced (bee tee dubs, raggedy anne).  Brooke and Devon were the stars of this episode.

I came here to see what others think of this show.  I also find the main character (or her portrayal?) grating and OTT.     

My favorite part were Abby Elliot's kids!  (Sorry, I don't watch enough to remember the character's name.). So funny when the young son made a real meal for everyone.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I came here to see what others think of this show.  I also find the main character (or her portrayal?) grating and OTT.    

Overall I like the show and all of the characters.  Abby Elliott is hysterical.   Some of the later shows last season had some moments that were a little OTT and in bad taste, IMO, but I want to give the show a chance and will continue to watch it.  They don't need to try so hard for some of the shock value.  

• Love 2

I wasn't a big fan of this episode. I've long since accepted that it's meant to be campy, silly good fun, but I didn't care for all the child-centered focus this episode or the usual "little girl-turned-sexpot" plotline either. And the mother-in-law secretly having a wild sex party in her son's apartment? Nahhh. Stupidly unfunny. I'm trying my best to still overlook Jill's OTT acting-style, but she's always blown straight off the screen by the far more talented Abby Elliott, who honestly seems to steal every single show with her wisely more subtle humor.

• Love 6

I'd watch the Abby show. I was waiting for her to freak over the rice in that meal. LOL Little Von Weber has a future as a chef. He's the next Iron Chef! Poor Langley sitting on the stove.

• Love 2

Wow, no new comments after the premiere?  I'm still watching but not enjoying this season as much as I have the previous one.  I'm not totally sure I like how the "Candice lives with Jill & Andy" storyline and I'm sure not happy that Brooke fired Devon.  I hope those two work it out because I'm already sad we seem to have lost Stephanie and have in her place the southern lady who I've not warmed to yet...

• Love 1

I think I can finally say I only watch this for Brooke, her husband and her snooty airhead friends. Vanessa, Jill & especially Candace can disappear tomorrow, and I wouldn't miss them or their stories.  Jill may be a good writer IRL (never read anything of hers), but she surely isn't a good actor.  She is more aptly, an OVER-actor. 

• Love 5
On 7/27/2017 at 0:50 PM, BusyOctober said:

I think I can finally say I only watch this for Brooke, her husband and her snooty airhead friends. Vanessa, Jill & especially Candace can disappear tomorrow, and I wouldn't miss them or their stories.  Jill may be a good writer IRL (never read anything of hers), but she surely isn't a good actor.  She is more aptly, an OVER-actor. 

Agree 1000%. I LIVE for Brook's segments. She slays. Lex is pretty good most of the time too. But I just cannot watch Jill anymore. I don't know if she's gotten worse, or my tolerance has. I think I liked her in the earlier seasons? But yea, her acting is so horribly over the top. She does not seem like a real person, to me. AT. ALL. 

• Love 7

Jill comes across as preachy and holier-than-thou. I watch this show for a fun escape and not to be lectured to. Is the recent ep worth watching? Only saw the first two from this season.

• Love 1

I'm think I'm going to bail on the show.  I like it, but she's starting to make some snide political comments that turn me off.  I tune in to escape certain things, and I really don't like it when my shows turn into excuses to make political jabs and statements by the characters.   There were other scenes this season that were a little over the top too.  YMMV.  So long show, I really did enjoy you!  

• Love 5
On 9/19/2016 at 0:14 PM, Atlanta said:

I want to see Brooke turn into the next Tory Burch and Jill have a successful gallery show. She can find a niche with weird nudes and open up her own studio.

Hey you called it last year!  Maybe Jill is reading this board...

I like Jill, she seems a bit loud, but I know people like that,  also she looks a lot like my much younger niece, very dark coloring, very pale skin and very red lipstick, Jewish background that the family keeps ignoring and I loved the camp scene, to me it did reflect real life. except mother singing about shaving, but singing is part of this show, so I can accept it. . 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Hey you called it last year!  Maybe Jill is reading this board...

The Von Weber logo even looks like TB's. lol 

Your user name is awesome! Did you eat a brain tumor for breakfast?

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Atlanta said:

The Von Weber logo even looks like TB's. lol 

Your user name is awesome! Did you eat a brain tumor for breakfast?

It totally does!

Thank you!  I love when people get it... some people think it's my real name.  

Corn nuts

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

What is the weird leather/plaid skirt outfit Jill is wearing??  That leather harness looks uncomfortable and unattractive.  She's supposed to be the normal one?

Jill Kargman tweeted:

"Tonight's harness is the @zanabayne highway vest #OddMomOut"