Type keyword(s) to search

Odd Mom Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Is it wrong that I'm liking Brooke (and her minions--the actresses who play Simone and Stephanie are comedy gold--they also need to bring back the little blonde who used to be part of her squad) and Lex? Jill seems like she's had three Red Bulls and is hopped up on cocaine. lol The BFF is veering in the stereotypical sassy sidekick character. The interesting characters are the ones we're not supposed to like. RIP Elliot. You were funny and made Vanessa interesting. Since I've already seen the first three eps, I guess I'll hang in there and see what happens. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Mr Teapot read about the play Hamiltin & got us tix before it was a "thing" so we were lucky enough to have seen it last month.

The "Hamming it Up" ep had lines from the play interspersed throughout, and they did a great job...they flowed & weren't forced.  I really enjoyed the ep.  The bag bitch reminded me of when Kat Dennings was on SATC as a tween. 

Edited by teapot
  • Love 3
(edited)

Teapot, lucky you!  Eager to see "Hamilton" too.  Loved how current these episodes are with life in NYC.

OMO fans, very important:. When you watch the "Hamming It Up" episode, watch all the way through to the very end of the credits.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
On 7/4/2016 at 8:42 PM, MerBearHou said:

OMO fans, very important:. When you watch the "Hamming It Up" episode, watch all the way through to the very end of the credits.

Heh, I noticed Javier, Jasmine  and the ensemble couple during the show. Very fun! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm so grateful for this show. I totally needed this laugh today. The Hamilton stuff was great. Not so in love with a kid demanding Molly, but Brooke's escapades in the "bad part of town" were hilarious.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2

Jill's acting is just sooo bad compared to the rest of the cast.  I like the show but sometimes Jill's delivery of her lines is just...I don't know how to explain it.  Over the top? Amateurish?

And while this show is a parody/satire of Upper East Side rich women, I don't get why Jill is always saying she's "exhausted" and "sooo tired".  From WHAT??  She doesn't appear to work or shop incessantly or tote her kids around to activities or do charity work or play tennis... She exudes almost no energy except for speaking to her sour face BFF several times a day.  Maybe she's anemic and needs a good does of protein or vitamin B or an iron infusion.

I do enjoy Brooke and her vapid self involved coven.  I was surprised her fancy "on brand" purses were only $2k.  I thought she'd be selling them for $10k (and up) a la Hermes Birkin bags!  I do hope Amy Sedaris shows up periodically the rest of the season, sporting her white jeans and matching her Von Webber bag.

• Love 7

Jill's character is to OTT. When she delivers her "witty" jokes, it's obvious she has practiced them a bunch. It doesn't seem natural or on the spot. 

I am still enjoying this show, though. Brooke might be my favorite right now. 

But I absolutely died when Jill spent the afternoon with the hot rocker and came home to her husband listening to his "lame" music in the kitchen. We've all had those moments! I was like, "Girl, I get you!" But at the end of the day, your own hubby is the best. 

I wish we were getting more of Mom-in-Law, though.

• Love 3

Are there any RHOC viewers in this thread?  Did anyone else notice the resemblance of the gold, black and red striped dress that Vanessa tried on to that of the one Heather (from OC) wore in a recent episode?

• Love 4
On 7/12/2016 at 11:10 AM, BusyOctober said:

I do enjoy Brooke and her vapid self involved coven.  I was surprised her fancy "on brand" purses were only $2k.  I thought she'd be selling them for $10k (and up) a la Hermes Birkin bags!  

It was a throw away line, but Brooke told the magazine lady her line was priced to be "affordable to the masses".  Great joke!

• Love 3
20 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Jill is just too unlikable and annoying.

Based on the ads, like the one about kale being a superfood, I thought the idea was that Jill was the down to Earth, fish out of water, but she is at least as high maintenance, in appearance and attitude, as any of the other women have shown to be. I watched this for the first time the other night, when Bravo had on two episodes back to back (Hamilton and the driving instructor) and, God, is she awful.

And, not everyone is Larry David.  Cynicism doesn't necessarily equal funny or cool or relatable.  In Jill's case, it equals exhausting.

• Love 6
On 7/12/2016 at 5:46 PM, Bluedog100 said:

Are there any RHOC viewers in this thread?  Did anyone else notice the resemblance of the gold, black and red striped dress that Vanessa tried on to that of the one Heather (from OC) wore in a recent episode?

Yes! And it took me forever to figure out where I knew the dress from. And then citrus tree shopping popped into my head...

• Love 5
(edited)

Jill has been even a bit more grating this season...but I will stay because she told the Aussie driving instructor that he was "a fake and a phony and I wish I'd never laid eyes on you!"

Edited by VartanFan
A phone is not phony.
  • Love 7
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 3:10 PM, millamant said:

Yes! And it took me forever to figure out where I knew the dress from. And then citrus tree shopping popped into my head...

Ha! Totally just spotted that. You guys are so my people.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, VartanFan said:

Jill has been even a bit more grating this season...but I will stay because she told the Aussie driving instructor that he was "a fake and a phony and I wish I'd never laid eyes on you!"

What movie is that line from?

3 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Grease, starring Aussie Olivia Newton John!! :-)

Oh yeah! Thanks :)

3 hours ago, Bluedog100 said:

Loved the shout out and theme music to one of my all-time fave shows "Friday Night Lights"!

They must not have been able to get the licensing for GoT's theme though. I don't know what music that was.

(edited)

I got to watch back-to-back episodes (GofT and Learning to Drive) on the plane yesterday and enjoyed both so much. It's just fun stuff. 

I had been in NYC for several days and have to admit that I looked for Brooke-types everywhere!  Also Odd Mom Out is getting great publicity in the city -- saw posters everywhere.

Who was the VERY cute driving instructor?  Anyone know?

Also get a kick out of seeing Stephanie March as one of the "loving the single life" divorcee-squad and can't help but think of her pig ex, Bobby Flay. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/12/2016 at 2:46 PM, Bluedog100 said:

Also last week, Vanessa and Heather wore the EXACT striped, short sleeved yellow/black/white top. Watching that back to back was...jarring. LOL

The reason I remember it, even a week later, is because Heather ALWAYS wears solids, so the print was quite a departure for her. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

For all the people who don't like Jill the character-I think that's why she the Odd Mom Out. She doesn't fit in on the UES, and she didn't fit in when she visited Brooklyn. She thinks she is down to Earth, but she's really not. She thinks she's less superficial than her neighbors, but the joke is that she is just as bad, but in a different way. That said, I think she was more sympathetic in S1 as more of a voice of sanity/protest against excess.  JaNeice is my new favorite character! That joke keeps cracking me up.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Heathrowe99 said:

For all the people who don't like Jill the character-I think that's why she the Odd Mom Out. She doesn't fit in on the UES, and she didn't fit in when she visited Brooklyn. She thinks she is down to Earth, but she's really not. She thinks she's less superficial than her neighbors, but the joke is that she is just as bad, but in a different way. That said, I think she was more sympathetic in S1 as more of a voice of sanity/protest against excess.  JaNeice is my new favorite character! That joke keeps cracking me up.

Is it Jill the character or Jill the actress that people don't like? I agree with what you wrote, I often noted her clothes as an example of this. She wants to be edgy (all black, the tattoo) but her clothes are still very preppy and sometimes twee...but black. She has a tattoo...but it's a cute bow (tattoo is real, not just for the show). But, Jill the actress...meh.

• Love 2
On 7/20/2016 at 0:38 PM, Heathrowe99 said:

JaNeice is my new favorite character! That joke keeps cracking me up.

I'm pretty sure Janice is shanking a bitch in her mind every time Brooke opens her mouth. :)

• Love 1
On 7/19/2016 at 1:30 PM, MerBearHou said:

Also get a kick out of seeing Stephanie March as one of the "loving the single life" divorcee-squad and can't help but think of her pig ex, Bobby Flay. 

Thank you! That was driving me crazy (trying to place her) but I eventually just gave up.

As someone who just a couple of months ago binge-watched GoT 'til catching up at S6 Ep4, and is now a totally obsessed GoT evangelist,  I *totally* related to both Vanessa and Jill. I have a friend who is super in - pre show book reader and all - who tried to get me interested for years but I wasn't buying. 

Me (before as Jill): "Yeah ... I'm just not into sci-fi. I hate wizards, I hate magic, I hate flying things, I hate capes, I hate quests, I hate spells, I hate animals that don't exist! 
Me (after as Vanessa): " I just finished season three of "Game of Thrones"! Everybody's dead! There are bodies everywhere! Fetus carved out! It's a bloodbath! I need therapy! I need deep analysis, and I'm sending the bill to HBO!

"Okay, calm down, it's just a TV show."

Me: How dare you???   

I was sooo waiting for Vanessa to bust out a "Winter is coming..." when she went out into the snow(pocalypse).

She should have just used the hook that got me to watch - wanting to check out Khal Drogo in Ep 2.

• Love 2

Um, can we just have a show with Drew Barrymore & John Hodgman and make Jill and her family background characters?  I need to know more about that couple! Although, as soon as "lice" were mentioned, I did get itchy and freaked out a bit when I saw the kids wearing the wigs. Guess I'm not cool either.

I was never a fan of Joanna Cassidy, but she had me cracking up with her battle against the other socialites over who gets to "console" the widowed non-dairy creamer czar.

• Love 5

Drew Barrymore usually grates, and she did in this - at the beginning. But I FLOVED her when her inner mean girl came out. That final scene at their door was everything. 

I still love Brooke's scenes. Freaking out because you can't post your perfectly hashtagged post right when you want to? First world problems!! 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/24/2016 at 3:53 PM, bichonblitz said:

On 6/24/2016 at 3:53 PM, bichonblitz said:

Sorry - weird things going on with my replies...so, I'm not really responding to bichonblitz's post of 6/24/16.

It was driving me crazy trying to remember where else I had seen the guy that Joanna Cassidy was after.  Then I remembered that he was Samantha's creepy neighbor on SATC, and she got her period on his $2,000.00 sheets.  

And, wasn't that Rudy Guiliani's first wife, Donna, as one of the other desperate widows?  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2

I'm just starting to watch this show after resisting it because Jill Kargman annoys me so much in commercials.  Have to admit the show is quite funny, but would be much better if she wasn't the star of the show but instead a writer of it.

• Love 3

Love that Brooke made her idiot husband cut off his "man bun" before she agreed to remarry him.  When I see a guy with one of those "idiot douche knots" on the top of his head, I just want to smack them, pull a giant pair of shears from my enormous purse and cut the thing off.  

• Love 5

One of the fun things about this show, at least for those who live in NYC, is she's not making up much of this stuff. Most of it's kinda real, at least in a Sinfeldian sort of way. And those giant inflatable rats are indeed real and used during many strikes. Not so real was an Upper East Side couple driving a car to another Upper East Side address presumably less than 20 blocks away. Even rich Upper East Side people fortunate enough to have a car in Manhattan don't do that. It's not worth the effort of retrieving the car from its garage or worrying about finding a non-existent parking spot. But the self parking car in its magically-available parking spot was kind of Jetsonian-cool.

• Love 6

I'm sad to be the only one commenting on this episode. I still really love this show. Jill never bothers me, but I've always been distracted by her teeth. It just seemed weird that someone in her world would have jacked up teeth. But, although this episode was partially an ad for invisalign, I must say that shit really works! They're looking terrific. 

I still love her friend, who I think is getting more endearing. And Abby Elliot is gold.

• Love 2
On 8/2/2016 at 5:40 PM, ahpny said:

Not so real was an Upper East Side couple driving a car to another Upper East Side address presumably less than 20 blocks away. Even rich Upper East Side people fortunate enough to have a car in Manhattan don't do that. It's not worth the effort of retrieving the car from its garage or worrying about finding a non-existent parking spot. But the self parking car in its magically-available parking spot was kind of Jetsonian-cool.

I agree, I doubt they would take the subway but wouldn't they just call a car service or hail a taxi? 

I guess I'm in the minority but I find Brooke obnoxious and annoying.  The bitchy schtick is getting old and I don't like the way she treats Jill. And I really don't like that Jill permits Brooke to treat her that way. 

• Love 1

I guess it shows how engaging I find this, but I was a bit taken aback to find out in the last couple of episodes her doctor-best-friend had been married.  I get that it likely was over fast and it is all fictional, but I always felt the show over-relied on the whole 'this is what happens when you are in a long term relationship' meme over both seasons.  That the friend is always perplexed and Jill spouts her wisdom from being married etc.  I guess I just always thought since that was a recurring theme the doctor had always been the type to never commit to anything past a couple of dates and ending it before the Friends with Benefits kicked in.  The friends part of that, that is.

On August 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM, ahpny said:

One of the fun things about this show, at least for those who live in NYC, is she's not making up much of this stuff. Most of it's kinda real, at least in a Sinfeldian sort of way. And those giant inflatable rats are indeed real and used during many strikes. Not so real was an Upper East Side couple driving a car to another Upper East Side address presumably less than 20 blocks away. Even rich Upper East Side people fortunate enough to have a car in Manhattan don't do that. It's not worth the effort of retrieving the car from its garage or worrying about finding a non-existent parking spot. But the self parking car in its magically-available parking spot was kind of Jetsonian-cool.

On August 18, 2016 at 11:15 AM, bichonblitz said:

I agree, I doubt they would take the subway but wouldn't they just call a car service or hail a taxi? 

I guess I'm in the minority but I find Brooke obnoxious and annoying.  The bitchy schtick is getting old and I don't like the way she treats Jill. And I really don't like that Jill permits Brooke to treat her that way. 

I'm pretty certain they went to the flower district and then back up to the Upper East to Candace's...and, also, they were banned from Uber and forgot about how to properly use a taxi back in the Hamilton episode :)

On August 18, 2016 at 2:30 PM, tenativelyyours said:

I guess it shows how engaging I find this, but I was a bit taken aback to find out in the last couple of episodes her doctor-best-friend had been married.  I get that it likely was over fast and it is all fictional, but I always felt the show over-relied on the whole 'this is what happens when you are in a long term relationship' meme over both seasons.  That the friend is always perplexed and Jill spouts her wisdom from being married etc.  I guess I just always thought since that was a recurring theme the doctor had always been the type to never commit to anything past a couple of dates and ending it before the Friends with Benefits kicked in.  The friends part of that, that is.

I chalk it up to a more optimistic & naive 20s and then she got burned by the quick marriage/divorce and became jaded in her 30s. It sounded like her relationship with Graham was a quick one, despite the marriage.

• Love 1

I'm pretty certain they went to the flower district and then back up to the Upper East to Candace's...and, also, they were banned from Uber and forgot about how to properly use a taxi back in the Hamilton episode :)

Good catch there! I hadn't appreciated that it wasn't a point to point UES trip after all. But still, no one I know with a car in Manhattan uses it to go from from part of Manhattan to to another, unless they're moving bulky stuff or have some other unusual travel needs. (I used a car to move stuff 14 blocks a while back.) Maybe the flowers were sufficiently bulky to warrant the car after all, who knows?

In the 8/15/16 episode, fun to see the return of the "no bread" rule, and Candace's "concern" for the appearance of her middle aged son worked pretty well too. If eating in fancy restaurants with a blindfold is a real thing, I guess I have to get out more. Never heard of that.

Jill as Molly Ringwald in Pretty In Pink in last year's season finale and Molly Ringwald as Joy in this year's finale? Cute.

is Jill going to be in an ugly pink dress in every season finale?

I'm suprised it's such short season, I thought they would order more episodes for the second one. Feels like it went by too fast.

• Love 1

I don't know where this goes so I'll put it here...

Last night I was watching a documentary called "Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's" and when they were talking about the shoe department, who should pop up for a quick talking head but Jill Kargman? She looked and sounded exactly the same as she does on the show.

• Love 2

It's *super* quick. She tells an anecdote about the price of shoes. But the movie as a whole is really interesting and it was a surprise to see her there! 

I got the movie via Netflix DVD. 

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 1

I'm not quite sure why I watch this except that summer is a slow time for me (I've yet to convert to the cults of Netflix or HBO) and it occasionally amuses me. But I just wanted to pop in to see if anyone else was getting Bernie Madoff vibes from the financial advisor Candace was flirting with at the party. I think he appeared before in the episode with the traveling business van (which was the only way Brooke could get a meeting with Lex). I like where they've gone and it wouldn't work as well with the premise of the show if it was permanent, but I could deal with a season or half season of the fallout if Brooke and Lex were to lose a huge chunk of their fortune. They're so blase about money it might be nice to at least see them be a little more aware of it and what it means to not be able to spend as easily as you'd like to. What would it mean for their relationship, their status in their social circles, von Webber?

• Love 4
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

They're so blase about money it might be nice to at least see them be a little more aware of it and what it means to not be able to spend as easily as you'd like to. What would it mean for their relationship, their status in their social circles, von Webber?

Oh, yes, PLEASE.  That would be great, to see Brooke being introduced to the concept of budgeting.  And it wouldn't be soooo far off theme, would it?  I'm sure there are plenty of wealthy Manhattanites who've unexpectedly had to tighten their belts.

• Love 1

And it wouldn't be soooo far off theme, would it? 

I just mean that I'm not sure Andy and Jill would interact with as many of the extremely wealthy characters or get into as ridiculous situations if Brooke and Lex weren't getting them into it. I guess maybe her photography could finally start to take off or they could contrive to have Jill be more involved at school.

Fun episode.  I will miss this show -- please renew it!  Jill was great and I enjoyed that Molly Ringwald embraced the fake guru/bitchy fraud role with gusto.  The final scene with the Madoff-type fallout will be terrific fodder for a 3rd season.  Love OMO.

Yes, there are White Parties in The Hamptons.  Everyone wears white -- usually linen.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6