Type keyword(s) to search

Odd Mom Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think my favorite part of the episode was Brooke and her assistant in the kitchen. "I didn't know you baked!" As she walks in to everything completely measured out for her and just dumps two containers into a bowl.

I'm from Brooklyn and still live there and even though I don't live the fancy shmancy Park Slope area that all hit really close to home.

• Love 2

How many 'staff' does Brooke need? Is that normal or part of the satire?

I think it was part of the satire.  A bit over the top version of what really goes on.  Just as her non-belly was an exaggeration.  And everything in the episode for that matter.

• Love 3

I am really enjoying this show, despite its awful commercials. I can't remember everyone's names but I think it's hilarious that they didn't even try to put a fake belly on the pregnant sister in law.  And yeah, the lead's Morticia look is a little harsh but what can she do if it's her real look?  Seeing David Wallace from the Office is an added bonus.

I had ZERO expectations for this show considering its from BRAVO, but i was laughing right away.  Who knew?

• Love 2

I thnk sounding out is fine for some words but English is not logical. If we were cash than yeah fine. But quinoa is not even an English word. Laugh and caught for example sound completely different. So basically I'd say you have to do both.

And no grades aren't wverything at all... I don't think we had them in elementary school until sixth grade just variations in excellent satisfactory etc. so long as someone is tracking how you're ding.

Then again I grew up in the 70s and they changed their ideas about education every year. There was a lot of go at your own pace which is fine if the child actually feels like learning. So I basically doodled during math. Until fifth grade when an old fashioned teacher stood at the board and gave lessons. Ow the default wasn't raise tour hand if you don't understand. She assumed we didn't and proceeded from there. Thank heavens for miss marcantonio or I know for a fact I still wouldn't be able to do long division.

• Love 3

Does anyone know the dress and pumps Brooke wore while delivering at home? Love.

As a Bostonian who has lived in Washington, DC for like forever I laughed, too. I also liked how in last night's epi they showed Grenouille's adventures. This is a pretty cool summer show. Didn't like that girls guide to divorce show or whatever it was called, but this one is good. It has NY, food, fashion, sightseeing and is very refreshing after the crazy OC HoWives.

(edited)

I don't know - I have liked the show up until last night, but I thought that last night's episode was just TOO, TOO over the top.  

I understand that it is satire and poking major fun at the UES lifestyle, but I wasn't crazy about last night.  I understand that Brooke delivered all her previous children by c-section, but how can a woman be that much in the dark about labor and childbirth that she didn't even have a clue??

Also, I have given birth twice (one vaginal delivery with fast labor, etc., and one scheduled c-section), and I really don't remember that much blood?  Am I wrong, or did I just block out all the gory details??

Another thing - when Jill saw the baby crowning, why didn't she call 911 so that EMT's or the paramedics could have at least been there to assist with the home delivery?  

There were so many unreal inconsistencies in last night's episode, that I just couldn't really enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Andy going to work for/with his brother.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm excited to see Andy work for his brother and leave his miserable law firm. Unless his brother is psycho and a bad businessman (I'm assuming not since he made that big deal), it seems that working with Lex will be better for their family...better pay, less office time, more time with the family, etc. 

This show is getting into yucky TMI mode. Did I need to see Elliott groping Vanessa's boobs? Did we really need to see all that blood? I've only had one child and she was an emergency c-section, but none of my friends who've had regular births have commented on a bunch of blood. Heck, one friend even had a home water birth and surely she would have mentioned that or would have been mega messy. lol The 'scrapbook' at the end was gross too and then the preview for next week. Eeewwww! This isn't HBO. I really don't want to see afterbirth. You would have thought Brooke burst a major artery.

Edited to add: How on earth did she have a TEN pound baby and not have even a little bump???

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 1

Also, I have given birth twice (one vaginal delivery with fast labor, etc., and one scheduled c-section), and I really don't remember that much blood?  Am I wrong, or did I just block out all the gory details??

I think there is a bit of blood, but it's not usually all over the place (unless you're jogging or jumping up and down!)  Not to get gross, but since you asked, after giving birth they placed some kind of fluid proof pad under me, then the doctor pushed on my stomach a few times to get the fluid/blood out.  I didn't have to see it, and it wasn't all over the room!  It was all quite tidy (as much as it could be).

This show is getting into yucky TMI mode.

I agree.  I love this show, but I wasn't crazy about this particular episode.  I muted a lot of it because I hate the usual screaming-in-labor plot lines.  I had a natural delivery many years ago with no anesthetics, and I didn't scream one time!  Yes, it was painful, but it works against your body when you fight it and get hysterical (learned that in Lamaze class), but everybody is different and it's okay to scream if you want to!  I just don't want to hear it on TV.

• Love 1

The representations of child birth are definitely not accurate, which I guess is part of the joke, but I find these types of jokes cliche so not the best part of the show for me.

(edited)

I kind of flove the subplot of the non-existent baby bump. Even with the 10 pound ending. It was so funny when Brooke was working out wearing plain old Lululemon showing abs and supposedly full term. It makes me think of the lingerie model Sarah Stage who made the news for having a flat tummy, but exaggerated.

I also loved her "cooking" by dumping two bowls in. I know people like Brooke but not as crazy. I always kind of feel like an outsider even though I hang with them because their insane diets and workouts baffle me and I work in fitness!

Did not love the bloody battlefield scenes. That was a little too OTT but didn't seem out of place for this show.

Edited by LVmom

I get that a lot of what this show does is OTT on purpose. Like the non-existant baby bump. And I'm cool with that. But the giving birth scene was just way too gross for me. They could have made that a lot shorter. 

I did enjoy Brooke and Jill bonding over their mutual dislike of MIL....and that "bonding" quickly turned into Brooke ordering Jill around. Also enjoyed the French frog adding assisting in child birth to his weekly adventures. 

• Love 2

I liked the detail about the blood because that is one thing I had no idea about before I had a baby. I had to wear those big pads for something like a month because it took that long to stop bleeding. I had no idea beforehand. What I didn't understand was why Jill had to go to the corner store to buy adult diapers. When you have a baby, they give you these huge pads (plus ugly mesh panties to hold them in place) plus they send you home with a good supply of them.

• Love 3

Also, I have given birth twice (one vaginal delivery with fast labor, etc., and one scheduled c-section), and I really don't remember that much blood?  Am I wrong, or did I just block out all the gory details??

Ok, I have to chime in here with TMI - but I had an insane amount of blood come out of my body when I gave birth (via vag).  The doctor had to have someone come in and mop it up as it was getting dangerously slippery and my husband said it looked like a murder scene.  It was everywhere.  And no one was concerned about it so I figured it was normal.

When birth occurs in a hospital, there is medical staff right there who are fully equipped and prepared to contain all of the blood and other bodily fluids that ... uh ... happen - of which there is plenty.  On a regular bed, with just one person attending who has no idea what they are doing so they just grab at the mother's legs and the baby's head and whatever else, yeah, there would be blood everywhere, it would be a mess.  But as mentioned, this is satire, it was never meant to be depicted as a real birthing experience.  As far as I'm concerned it was all worth it as a lead up to her running into the old boyfriend while wearing a hospital gown, carrying adult diapers, smeared in blood and makeup, grinning madly, talking about how well her life turned out.

• Love 5

I've since accepted this show as pure satire and am enjoying it much more ever since then---I've even gotten used to crazy Jill and her manic, odd acting style, which is a feat unto itself!

I actually appreciated the excessive blood from the birth. Plus the mention of poop! Yes, poop happens!! This was probably the most realistic thing the show has ever portrayed, oddly enough.

I've never given birth myself, but every single one of my mommy friends has jokingly mentioned that she wished more women had been more honest about how gross the birth process actually is. Lotsa blood, and usually there's poop too. And then there's the smelly gushing water when it finally breaks. And the afterbirth stench/gross goop mixed with the throbbing placenta!

And none of them mentioned any crazy Lamaze breathing or insane shrieking shown on TV/movies either---mostly just crying and yelping and grunting.

Although I still say that Brooke should've had at least a tiny bit more of a pooch if she was going to have a 10 pound baby, comon!

• Love 2
(edited)

I definitely prefer this over Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce, but I still think Bravo has some growing pains when it comes to fictional dramas that are kinda sorta real housewifey, but aren't, but are, etc.

I liked when the husband brought the inappropriate red bandage dress to the hospital. When I was recovering from an appendectomy (think: major abdominal surgery) and asked my then boyfriend to bring me some clothes to the hospital he brought me my tightest pair of pants and a little tank top. :/

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2

Sigh. I remember those pads and mesh undies. Yep, with a c-section, ya get 'em too. Also with staples in the tummy. Boo! 

I recently reread Momzillas and the show has adapted the NACHO and Brooklyn parts. The main character in the book isn't manic and they only have one child, Violet IIRC. She's a San Fran transplant. The BFF isn't a doctor, but PR person for a record company.

• Love 1

Sigh. I remember those pads and mesh undies. Yep, with a c-section, ya get 'em too. Also with staples in the tummy. Boo! 

I recently reread Momzillas and the show has adapted the NACHO and Brooklyn parts. The main character in the book isn't manic and they only have one child, Violet IIRC. She's a San Fran transplant. The BFF isn't a doctor, but PR person for a record company.

I re-read it, too, after watching the show!   :-)

I was actually wishing that the show would be a little more similar to the book, because I thought the book was hysterical!  

Can I work for Lex's company (minus the weird waxing)? I want some new clothes. lol Anyone worried that Hercules will go bankrupt? That's immediately where my mind went.

Ah, I remember being a ball of tears/the sads after having my DD. All those hormones working their way out of your body and the DD had baby acne and my hubby freaked out. I explained that they'd work out of her system on their own and he was still freaking. Chill, dear. ;) However, I wanted to cuddle little Langley since no one else would.

Nitpick about Brooke asking Jill to be godmother. If Jill is Jewish and Brooke's Christian, it is the same God.

So who is Candace's lovah?!

I'm with Jill on the Ghostbuster sign. :D

• Love 2

I love this show, too: lots of NYC, great clothes, babytinis. Jill's friend cracked me up with the MIL, too.I loved their interaction in the last scene. Can't believe that Jill was willing to try to go to French third base. She is crazy. I hope that Hercules doesn't go out of business and second getting a job there--i need some new clothes, too! 

I wonder why they kept saying "Hazel's school" instead of naming a school as they did with the others.

• Love 1

Cassidy made this episode. Holy cow. Renew this show just for her. I'm also starting to like Brooke and her friends. They seem to be warming up to Jill as well. She needs some mom friends who can understand where she's at. I say this as a woman married with kids whose BFF who is a single professional in her 40s. My BFF has a boyfriend. Crossing my fingers for the right guy. :) You need to those mom friends as well.

(edited)

Nitpick about Brooke asking Jill to be godmother. If Jill is Jewish and Brooke's Christian, it is the same God.

I think that -- that Brooke is a dumbass, and vaguely anti-Semitic -- was the joke. 

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 3

I get moments of funny here and the but can't quite get on this train. In Los Angeles, the whole mommy stratosphere is insane and ugly. I try so hard to stay away from it and am more successful now then when my 7 yr old was a toddler. Yes it can be funny but...

This friendship she has with Brooke is bad bad bad. She is how old now? She really couldn't see what was going on there? I hate that they are going down the track with her bff.

• Love 1

I think this is the funniest show to come on television in many years. The fact that's it's produced by Bravo allows it to be naughty but not revoltingly so. The dialog is brilliant at times. I don't think that this series would appeal to most people initially but if they sit through one entire episode they would discover that Bravo has a wonderful little jewel of a series in Odd Mom Out. I wish that people would give this show a chance and realize that it's entirely satirical and pokes fun at the rich, ambitious Manhattan moms.

The last episode 'Sip n' See' made me laugh from beginning to end, nonstop. Some of my favorite lines

"Jared is so into anal these days, I never thought I'd say this....but I miss blow jobs"
"m-m-m yes, suddenly my husband is interested in L'Autre passage too" (the other passage)
"at least I get to hold the remote during anal. Last week we did it so much I watched all of The Help"

"wait, you guys are taking it in the 'chocolate starfish'?" They ask, 'You're not? ' 'HELL to the no!! There's like a ghost-buster sign back there.

I want more of this show, that's all I know.

• Love 7

I think this is the funniest show to come on television in many years. The fact that's it's produced by Bravo allows it to be naughty but not revoltingly so. The dialog is brilliant at times. I don't think that this series would appeal to most people initially but if they sit through one entire episode they would discover that Bravo has a wonderful little jewel of a series in Odd Mom Out. I wish that people would give this show a chance and realize that it's entirely satirical and pokes fun at the rich, ambitious Manhattan moms.

The last episode 'Sip n' See' made me laugh from beginning to end, nonstop. Some of my favorite lines

"Jared is so into anal these days, I never thought I'd say this....but I miss blow jobs"

"m-m-m yes, suddenly my husband is interested in L'Autre passage too" (the other passage)

"at least I get to hold the remote during anal. Last week we did it so much I watched all of The Help"

"wait, you guys are taking it in the 'chocolate starfish'?" They ask, 'You're not? ' 'HELL to the no!! There's like a ghost-buster sign back there.

I want more of this show, that's all I know.

I'm right there with you. People take things so fucking seriously and this is totally a satire and funny as hell. And it's in NY and the clothes are really good. And were you totally surprised when you learned what I thought was a masseuse did to Jill's husband? And as I've already said, I loved that they showed us Grenouille's adventures at the end of that other episode.

I love this show.

• Love 6

I could have sworn in the first two episodes that Vanessa was introduced as Jill's sister.  I was so confused when she referred to herself as Jill's friend.  Guess I just made that up.

Anyway, yeah, this week's episode was hilarious to me.  I think the show gets better and better.  I'm not even a mom and I can still relate to it, mostly because you don't need to have kids to have assholes for relatives.

• Love 2

I'm right there with you. People take things so fucking seriously and this is totally a satire and funny as hell. And it's in NY and the clothes are really good. And were you totally surprised when you learned what I thought was a masseuse did to Jill's husband? And as I've already said, I loved that they showed us Grenouille's adventures at the end of that other episode.

I love this show.

"back, sack and crack"      LMAO

• Love 1

For me it tries to be satire but somehow, it takes the approach to parody instead.  I know that makes little sense in many regards, but the delivery gets too shrill and too manic and never quite delivers in a darkly comedic way I feel it seems to hint at if not openly promise.  The lead is horrible and grating and I hate that the show has so much to deliver and instead of nuanced and clever it decides to stomp all over things.  I do chuckle now and again, but I'm not finding it laugh out loud funny.

I guess I watched too many episodes of The New Adventures of Old Christine.  Julia kicks ass with even sillier premises and situations.  Plus it serves as a reminder of what this show lacks.  There is some good focus on the Upper East Side in some regards.  But it also goes too broad and common when it could skewer so of the more focused aspects that are all the rage right now (Isn't That Rich, Primates... and a third book I cannot remember without checking my galley list on my Kindle -- all are just out about the UES)

I hope if it returns they see it as an opportunity to hone and refine it instead of (like that horrible dramedy) thinking a renewal is a carte blanche sign of approval.

For me it tries to be satire but somehow, it takes the approach to parody instead.  I know that makes little sense in many regards, but the delivery gets too shrill and too manic and never quite delivers in a darkly comedic way I feel it seems to hint at if not openly promise.  The lead is horrible and grating and I hate that the show has so much to deliver and instead of nuanced and clever it decides to stomp all over things.  I do chuckle now and again, but I'm not finding it laugh out loud funny.

I guess I watched too many episodes of The New Adventures of Old Christine.  Julia kicks ass with even sillier premises and situations.  Plus it serves as a reminder of what this show lacks.  There is some good focus on the Upper East Side in some regards.  But it also goes too broad and common when it could skewer so of the more focused aspects that are all the rage right now (Isn't That Rich, Primates... and a third book I cannot remember without checking my galley list on my Kindle -- all are just out about the UES)

I hope if it returns they see it as an opportunity to hone and refine it instead of (like that horrible dramedy) thinking a renewal is a carte blanche sign of approval.

The concept of the show is absolutely parody since the creator/writer Jill Kargman, (in the role of New Yorker Jill Weber), plays a fictionalized and exaggerated version of herself. Jill Kargman lived in that elitist ecosystem and felt like the odd mom out among the other ultra-wealthy moms. She published the novel 'Momzillas' in 2007 and created this satirical series inspired by real-life experiences. I think that's why I think it's so funny. The lives of snooty upper East side mothers is depicted in an exaggerated but really genuine way.   

I much prefer a satirical look at the lives of the ultra-rich, ultra-snooty and ultra-narcissist women where I can just laugh at their exaggerated outrageous snootiness rather than a 'non-reality-realty' show in which the botox'd, frozen-faced women are all posing for the cameras, throwing down extra dirty martinis, publicizing their line of wines and cat fighting in exotic locations. 'Odd Mom Out' isn't a show that will appeal to everyone, but I like the show and have enjoyed every episode so far anyway. But, that's what a remote is for, just a click and it's gone.

• Love 4

I keep hanging in there because I like most of Jill's books (including the co-written ones), but Momzillas and the others aren't as much parody as the show has turned out to be. That is a matter of opinion, I guess. There's multi dimensional characters in the book. I get what the others are saying about it being over the top and slapping you in the face with the jokes. I'm also hanging in there because Joanna Cassidy is a comedic gem. :)

(edited)

I absolutely love this show. It is a bold satire with a terrific OTT cast -- the OTT-ness I embrace is being done on purpose. Jill (the character) is very smart and endearing in her awkwardness. Jill (in real life) is super smart and seems to be sure of who she is. Just love her observations and gentle skewering of the UES lifestyle (and honestly you can find a version of all of those folks in almost any city/town). Could do without the raunch -- it gets very close to going over the line for me. Just not necessary but I often feel that way -- could veer into "what can we get away with" territory and that becomes lazy writing IMO.

Hope it's back for another season and maintains/improves its qualities in season 2.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love that the academic (I want to put that in quotes so badly, and yes of course she's got her PhD but...) behind 'Primates of Park Avenue' was outed as such a scrub. 

I'm a simple woman and I was open-mouthed laughing at her 'hell to the no' in re 'l'autre passage.'  It's like she was really doing her UES skinny chick best to bring the spirit of Whitney to the proceedings.  Hee!

Edited by Midnight Cheese

One of my favorite things in the nanny/maids episode was the joke about Mo Willems.  It's that kind of esoteric, nail on the head kind of joke that makes me adore this show.

For those who aren't familiar with him, he's a children's book author and they are fantastic. One of the only authors I enjoyed reading as much as my kid. Someone being unavailable because they were at a reading of his was just hilarious to me. He was around me recently and everyone was losing it.

• Love 2

What kind of physical therapist or whatnot was Brooke visiting? Can't she learn to do Kegels on her own? Poor wee little Lex. lol

I know other many not agree with this, but I'm happy to see Vanessa make a friendship with a fellow lady doc. Jill needs other mom friends, but V also needs friends who also are her peers. I say this as someone who has good friends who are doctors, nurses, and paramedics. Holy cow. Talk about some crazy and cringe inducing stories. lol

Keep Simone and Stephanie. They are funny. Missed Candace and bring back the other little blonde--the one from the restroom from the Japanese restaurant. She's hilar.

I accidentally recorded an early one--maybe even the pilot?--and I was dumbfounded how much the main character has changed in just this short run.

Now she knocks herself out delivering babies and hosting showers and being thoughtful to people who don't appreciate her, but in the invitation-only-cemetary episode, she was AWFUL.  Stumbling in late to the meeting that was important to her husband, trilling "The subway took forEVskis!", handing the birthday party mom an ice cream coupon to compensate her for $645 in overtime expense, ripping apart the kid's giftwrap because she needed a scrap of paper, , ,and then another.

Lucy Ricardo on crack.

Took a little while to hit her stride, I guess.

• Love 3

The slang, or shall I say her invented slang, is something that has been always hard for me to stomach in her books. I feel like screaming, "Stop trying so hard!" lol I liked 85% of her solo books and liked her non YA books with Carrie Karasyov (the YA ones go way into the slang shame spiral--even talking in acronyms). I bought the first once since I liked "The Right Address" and "Wolves in Chic Clothing," but donated "Bittersweet Sixteen" (I like a good YA as much as the next person--The Hunger Games is YA) and have avoided theirs since.

I liked it too. It made Jill seem more real to me. I think many of us can relate to just wanting to fit in. I've always been "different" - quirky, weird, the odd one out. I went to a fancy Catholic school for elementary and we were one of the poorest families there. The "cool girls" were very exclusive and made the rest of us feel like shit. I may have mocked them and acted all indifferent, but there was always that part of me that would have flipped if they'd invited me to their lunch table. I think Jill is going through a bit of that struggle, plus there's the whole in-laws thing that makes it even more complicated. 

I felt horrible for Vanessa, though. The actress who plays her is doing a lovely job. The pain on her face when she realized her best friend was casting her aside for the bitches they always made fun of - all too real. I hope they can reconcile by the finale. 

• Love 3

I hope Jill can find a balance between family obligations and Vanessa. Also, where's Jill's family? Didn't she grow up on the UES? I think Jill's solution would be to attend Vanessa's party since Brooke changed the NACHO party date without telling Jill. She probably would have missed the event due to not knowing the switcheroo. Brooke moved the goalpost with no head's up. However, I do want to see them all dressed up in their 80s prom best. lol J should have been upfront with V about why she had to go to the hat luncheon. I think she would have understood. I wonder what's going to happen with Lex and Brooke. Lex hasn't been fleshed out much as a character. Wonder if Hercules will get hit with a sexual harassment suit?