Type keyword(s) to search

Odd Mom Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was a little iffy about this show in the first two episodes.  It seemed a little overacted and I find the lead kind of unattractive.  I guess that makes her more real.  I LOVED the last episode.  Also, I am from NYC (escaped it for the cheaper suburbs) and I can totally relate.

I really liked this. While I'm in a different socioeconomic situation than the family, I don't feel like "OMG they're rich what are they complaining about?"  When I go to parental things I feel so much like an outsider when all the other blond, skinny parents are walking around drinking their starbucks with their giant Coach bags and $300 sunglasses and gigantic SUVs. Trying to be classy and I let out an F bomb (no kids around) and it's like instant shunning.

Or something like that.  I'm awkward and divorced and not a skinny blond, so I don't fit in well. I get along great with the other "misfits."

So kudos to the show for making it relatable on that level.

• Love 3

I love this quirky show!  I never thought about having to compete for a cemetery plot.  That was funny!  Usually when I find a show like this I like, it doesn't last, so here's hoping to a successful run.

• Love 1

I am really liking this show.  It's bizarre enough to be funny but yet I don't find the satire to be way over the top either.

This may sound weird, but I compare this to a modern day "I love Lucy" where Jill is Lucy and her doctor friend is her sidekick Ethel and they get into all sorts of funny scrapes.  The husband may become exasperated with her antics but at the end of the day he loves her.  We don't have a Fred Mertz, but I'm not sure we need one, lol.  It may not be as great as ILL, but i think they are using that framework for the show.

I laughed at the cemetery plot (pun intended).  My family recently buried my dad (his plots were purchased by his parents in the 1960s, no interview needed) and it felt great to laugh at the jokes about the cemetery's beauty and she's like but 'we're dead.'

And I love BJ was a funny gag.  Nice to see Divya from Royal Pains.

• Love 3

I kind of like it - here in DC we have those uber-snobby, grasping, power couples too. But the lead actress is a bit manic for my taste. I'll hang in a while longer.

Thanks for the shout-out about Grant Shaud - I never would have recognized him and it's good to see him again.

I got a kick out of it and will make it a point to watch each week. Hope it lasts.

Jill Kargman is the daughter of Ari and Coco Kopelman so she comes from uber NYC wealth and society. Her dad was the chairman of Chanel and Jill attended the top private schools in NYC and then Yale. So yes, she intimately knows about the world she's writing. I get a Whitney Cummings-vibe from her (which is NOT a compliment) but I do like her. The cast is good, especially her best friend and so far, Abby Elliott is holding her own.

• Love 3

Atlanta, I did a cycling class and thought about you doing the unicorn. I couldn't stop laughing.

Hi LabLover! Was it at Loco? I did a charity ride there last month and was dying laughing at how absolutely spot on the over-the-top instructor character was on this show.

Well...tonight's episode was just painful to watch. Everything that I liked about the first 3 shows was just negated by this one. I mean, seriously, what happened here? Jill comes across as awkward, but real. Well, real-ish.

But Abby Elliott's character has completely devolved into charicature. An Olympic skier in Nagano? Really, show? Bouncy houses in Africa as a charity?

Please don't let the promise of the first shows be turned into this hot mess. Please.

• Love 1

I didn't love this episode either. But I did get a little tickle when Jill mentioned that they HAD to have sex, because it was day 18 and once they hit 19 it gets weird. I try not to go THAT long, but I often tell my husband we don't get along as well if we go too long without. That part was funny and relatable. 

• Love 5

HA yes the sex days scene was funny and I totally related to it.

I agree that last night’s episode wasn’t up to par with the preceding ones.  I did however, laugh out loud at her comment to the single udon noodle during the tasting menu “You look so lonely.”

• Love 1

Hi LabLover! Was it at Loco? I did a charity ride there last month and was dying laughing at how absolutely spot on the over-the-top instructor character was on this show.

LOL.  No.  Grit Cycle.  My son's girlfriend wanted to 'bond'.  I couldn't stop laughing!!!  I only wish I wore a Minnie Mouse t-shirt.  "Minnie!  Mickey!  Goofy! Pitty!  LOL

I didn't love this episode either. But I did get a little tickle when Jill mentioned that they HAD to have sex, because it was day 18 and once they hit 19 it gets weird. I try not to go THAT long, but I often tell my husband we don't get along as well if we go too long without. That part was funny and relatable. 

I thought 19....try 30 rookie.  ;)

I've tried seeing if I can watch ep 4 on demand (I have Dish Network) or on Bravo's site. How long does it usually take for them to upload episodes? I also looked at the preview for ep 5. Not sure how long I can handle the manic mama (Jill) before it gets old. At first, it was charming, but now it seems a joke that's run too long. I'll still hang in there though. :)

Re: indoor cycling, apparently SoulCycle and Flywheel were started by former associates or something. I do Les Mills RPM and am always totally dripping at the end of class. Love the LM programs.

What I found particularly contrived was Jill sitting with the men. Her brother-in-law seemed particularly eager when he has never expressed an interest in her before. There was no reason for it. Also, why did we need the scenes with the dentist?

why did we need the scenes with the dentist?

I think it was a hygenist but Because she has no friends to talk to. Have you ever tried to have a conversation while getting your teeth cleaned? The woman is desperate to have a conversation with someone that will "get" her that is not her husband (who insisted on putting her through that torture).  

• Love 1

Wow, did not recognize Grant Shaud.  Thanks for the tip.

Soul Cycle and Flywheel are definitely cultish.  I have not attended, but I keep reading articles in the New York Times about it. 

I have never attended because I can take spin class for free at my regular gym.  Only people with no critical thinking skills believe they are getting something different and worth paying $35 per class for.  Or paying more so they can be on the guaranteed reservations list.  Or paying so they can celebrity name drop.  I know one woman who keeps going, albeit a bit sheepishly.  She's a humblebragger.

Last night's episode verged on Curb Your Enthusiasm cringe-making territory.  Nonetheless, the joke about the gay husband denial and Rima's response were quite funny.

I mostly liked the restaurant stuff. It was really relatable, close to my worst nightmare. I can go for long periods without food, but when I'm hungry (and especially when it's something special I was looking forward to), I am HUNGRY. I don't want bullshit. I don't want bumps. I don't want some control freak to take over and ruin my meal for me. I need food I like and plenty of it in front of me RIGHT NOW and not worry that it literally would cost $6000. 

Restaurant checks are nightmares for us socially awkward and poor people. Check roulette would turn me into a shut-in.

• Love 2

I love how she called herself "HANGRY!" I also get hangry (hungry-angry).

I call it hanky (hungry and cranky).

I actually enjoyed this episode a lot.  It was very over the top but I kind of get it now.  That's how it is supposed to be.  Very funny show and reminds me why I left New York City!

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought this was a great episode, mainly because of the restaurant bullshit.  So many restaurants in Manhattan are all smoke and mirrors; people would eat shit if they thought it was trendy.  

I think this show is great because it really is how the UES is today.  At one time there was a mixture of wealthy and working class folks; but Bloomberg basically ended that.  Now the sweet, affordable coffee shops are dying and ugly condos lined with Whole Foods/Sephora/H&M/Panera Bread have taken their place.

Shit, I don't even think Jackson Hole exists on Madison Avenue anymore.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

This episode was more sit commy in a bad way,particularly the tired trope of saying something mean about someone who then appears in the stall.

I felt sad because I wanted her and rima to w friends.

Did love the way Abby told the kids about aids and war and how cool jill was about it.

The sister in law was always a caricature. Didn't bother me.

But I realize I like to see chtrs win. It as my problem with silicon valley this season and its one Reason I did enjoy the last episode so much.

• Love 1

What I thought was interesting about this episode is that even though Jill is supposed to be the heroine of this show and her SIL is the bitchy blonde thin chick, I thought it was interesting that Rima wound up being friends with SIL, because Jill thought Rima would be cool with her; and it turned out that Rima was just as vapid as the rest of the UES bottled blondes.  

• Love 2

I thought this was a great episode, mainly because of the restaurant bullshit.  So many restaurants in Manhattan are all smoke and mirrors; people would eat shit if they thought it was trendy.  

I think this show is great because it really is how the UES is today.  At one time there was a mixture of wealthy and working class folks; but Bloomberg basically ended that.  Now the sweet, affordable coffee shops are dying and ugly condos lined with Whole Foods/Sephora/H&M/Panera Bread have taken their place.

Shit, I don't even think Jackson Hole exists on Madison Avenue anymore.  

Toity toyd and toyd.   Well, close, more like 35th.  Just thinking about these pickles makes my mouth juice up.

• Love 1

I was confused about the deaf thing. Was Rima saying her husband's not gay and he's deaf (didn't seem that way to me) and then there was Jill being rightly creeped out by the married guy who's a cheater but they said he's deaf? I must have missed something. LOL

I was confused about the deaf thing. Was Rima saying her husband's not gay and he's deaf (didn't seem that way to me) and then there was Jill being rightly creeped out by the married guy who's a cheater but they said he's deaf? I must have missed something. LOL

No Rima thought Jill was talking about the deaf guy, not her husband. It went over her head and she has no clue about her gay husband at all.

• Love 1

Between the AC turning on and off and the dogs going nutso at imaginary intruder squirrels, I know I have the tv volume too high.  But STOP assaulting me with these long eardrum piercing one-notes.  It's fucking annoying.

I probably watch too much TV, but I think I recognized Jill's friend's house as the same house used in The Slap. The outdoor deck and steps was oddly similar.

I thought it was a goof that the friend who said not to call kids "pretty" or "smart" later called her kids "bossy". I guess she didn't read those recent articles who say that is a bad thing too.

I am enjoying this show but I still wish they had gotten a "real" actress to play Jill. Jill is just not natural or charismatic enough to carry this show, even though she is playing herself.

• Love 3

I like it enough to keep coming back, but Jill's "ACTING!!!" is starting to get under my skin.  If the scene calls for Jill to be happy, she's down right MANIC.  There's no nuance or subdued effort. 

While we all know this show is supposed to be satirical/farcical look at UES, I have to ask...is it possible in the real world for a woman to be 9 months pregnant and still be flat as a board?  I've known some women who remained pretty small throughout their pregnancies, and only looked like they were smuggling a grapefruit under their shirts, but they did present some kind of "belly".

I don't live in Brooklyn, but there are plenty of hipster enclaves near me, so I did laugh at the OTT parenting & education theories tossed around. 

• Love 4

"Do we all need a front row seat to the pepperoni nipple show?" Love that quote. Can also relate to dealing with the granola/uber moms who think you should have Child Protective Services called if you had a c-section and bottle fed (my DD was both). Those B-lyn moms scare me.

However, I am terrified for Brooke's baby. lol It would probably be more effective if they had her as a stick with a bump and then after having the baby, she's immediately flat tummied. 

Vanessa seems to fall in bed with men fast. O.o

• Love 1

I probably watch too much TV, but I think I recognized Jill's friend's house as the same house used in The Slap. The outdoor deck and steps was oddly similar.

I thought it was a goof that the friend who said not to call kids "pretty" or "smart" later called her kids "bossy". I guess she didn't read those recent articles who say that is a bad thing too.

I am enjoying this show but I still wish they had gotten a "real" actress to play Jill. Jill is just not natural or charismatic enough to carry this show, even though she is playing herself.

I agree...Jill is an excellent writer, but a not-so-great actress.  Getting long-distance acting advice from her sister-in-law, Drew Barrymore, doesn't really seem to be working.  

I'm not sure if it's her lack of acting skills, or if she just seems very awkward to me, but I think the role would have been better played by someone with some acting experience.

• Love 1

I like her as an actress. She comes across as real to me. She looks great but she doesn't look like she's had so much work done she's just in the uncanny valley of pulled back faces and puffy lips and foreheads that don't move. I like seeing a woman my age on tv with some lines while still looking nice.

I was dying at the party scene. My area isn't so hipstery or granola, but I see that kind of stuff enough and it makes me roll my eyes so hard. So. Hard. It's bad enough that they inflict their beliefs on their kids, but when they correct other parents? "You're not supposed to help them spell..." WTF, just mind your own business and don't tell other parents how to parent. It's not child abuse to help a kid spell quinoa.

• Love 6
(edited)

My people!  I love this show!  I think Jill is imperfectly perfect in the role and I loved the Brooklandia episode.  It was scary on-point.  Especially when Jill explains that they can act otherwise, but those moms are RICH.  They are.  St. Ann's is where Lena Dunham went to school and where Brooklyn financial and creative elites (including people on The Slap) send their kids - no public school for them unless it's ONE particular elementary school.  To have access to that school requires wealth or at least one unusually high income or a benefactor.  People are NOT chill about formula feeding here even if they pretend they are.  Uberboobers.  Etcetera.  There is intense hypocrisy about money and access that is distinct from the Upper East Side, and not distinct in a good way.  I am in love with Jill now.

I saw Jill and her ER BFF filming in my neighborhood last week and they are lovely and super, super skinny in person.  Not hating but I was actually like, whoa.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 6

Ugh I could hav lived without the song and dance. Very cheesy,

I know it's a satire but it's just gone into cartoon land with her rushing to put in an offer on a house. That didn't seem like the same jill.

And what is with the menopause jokes on TV? There was on on unREAlL (you're not that old mary!) and now this. Seriously do hey actually want to alienate everyone 45-55?

Sure it's one line but is it any different than a quick quip about race, size? Most of hese moms don't look more than 10 years away from it if that.

I did laugh at some of the Brooklyn stuff but these are oooooooold jokes, making fun of the dictatorial ness of the Natural dictatorship, I mean surely they were around as soon as communes began. I had a hand me down cartoon paperback from the 60s calld dhow to be a nonconformist. Punchline... Just like evrybody else.

The excesses were funny but I've lost patience with jill. She was just nuts this episode. I no longer relate to her as the kinda sane one in a superficial world, she just seems ditzy and easily swayed.

And yeah the friends lack of showing at all is unreal. Do UES people actually count on a Caesarian? Where is jill from, did she grow up on the UES? I'm puzzled.

I saw the actress on WWHL and she was effortlessly old school money cool. She totally out did Heather new money gauche Dubrow. Jill had so much history about her outfit and Heather had I went over budget $200,000 on my $600,000 cabinet budget. 

This makes me a permanent Jill fan.

Also, Midnightcheese, "uberboober."  Bwahaha!

(edited)

I am now officially in love with this show.  Maybe you have to be from NYC to get it - I am and I totally get it.  The Brooklandia stuff was priceless.

Edited by Momof2boyz
  • Love 4

I am now officially in love with this show.  Maybe you have to be from NYC to get it - I am and I totally get it.  The Brooklandia stuff was priceless.

I'm going to have to watch the second half, but I watched the first part and they got Brooklandia down.  See, the UWS was like that before it got too expensive, and Brooklandia has extended to Harlemdia.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not from NYC, but I still find the juxtaposition between the crunchy Brookylnites and the UES snobs hilarious. Damn, Jill can't win for losing. I just find it all relatable because no matter where you are from there are a thousand rules for how you should raise your kids, all so conflicting. Jill thought she found some chill, laid back people, but they're just as bad. They simply come from a different direction. 

Allegra and Aristotle? Oh goodness! 

I do have to agree with two complaints - Jill is just too OTT for me. It's not the story or the writing. I get that it's satire. But her acting needs a Xanax. Also agree about Brooke's belly. I actually find it hilarious that she's calling herself a cow and working out while pregnant, but a TEENY, TINY bump would go a long way. 

Oddly I find myself loving her BFF's side stories more than anything. Arguing over XOXO and Googling shit is just how my husband and I bicker. Google solves all of our ridiculous fights. LOL!

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2

I live in Atlanta (duh! LOL) and there are the same subsets here. UES=Buckhead, Decatur=Brooklyn, lower Manhattan=Inman Park or Little Five, Chinatown=Chamblee, etc. I'm sure everyone can relate in one way or another. I identify more with the UES since how can you not want your kids to learn to spell correctly??? How do you monitor your school progress without grades? What on earth? Those Brooklyn kids will have a rude awakening when they go to college and then the real world. Yikes. 

Brooke at least needs a tiny bump. Don't get me started on the Uberboobers. lol Love that name. My sister in law breastfed my niece when she was at least two years old (it may have been longer for all I know). O.o 

• Love 2

I think when your child is old enough to say clearly and with no babytalk, "I'm hungry," it's time for that child to get off the breast. Ick.

I'm from NYC (well, NJ) and though I recognized the types, found it easy, and Jill too manic. This does not seem the same sane chick we met in episode one.

• Love 2

The spelling thing I was iffy on. My sister is a 1st grade teacher and she said they actually encourage children to sound things out and attempt spelling on their own, rather than tell them how to spell every single word they don't know. She uses this technique during free/creative writing, though - then there are actual spelling lessons at a different time. She said it helps kids understand words better and gives them more confidence, and leads to better spelling in the long run? But yea, I wouldn't let my kid think something they spelled wrong is correct as to avoid hurting their feelings or anything. 

I homeschool, and we don't really do grades. I think it's quite possible to determine how well a child grasps a subject without them. 

That's why I loved this episode - there are just SO many different methods out there, and I think it's great if everyone can find their way and what works best for them. But this whole mom-pack mentality, where you're actually telling other mothers the "correct" way to parent and looking down on people who do it differently. Damn, it's obnoxious. Unless you're setting your kid on fire or refusing to feed them, do your thing. 

• Love 1

I thought this episode was very cute, including the subway map to Brooklyn (and the cab hightailing back to the UES).  It really does take forever (up to 1 hour) to go from East 68th street to Grand Army Plaza on the subway, depending if you are going express or local.  But with traffic, it could take longer, lol.

Given that parts of Brooklyn are more expensive that the UES these days, moving there can get you a backyard, but it would cost millions.

Do some moms really still breast feed kids at age five?  Or is that part of attachment parenting?  I'm not up on these things.

I knew that by the end of the episode, that Jill would hate her Brooklynite moms and appreciate what she has.

Oh and it's nice to see Chris J. Hanke as Brooke's gay husband or whatever he's supposed to be (her stylist, her decorator, her sycophant).  I've seen him on Broadway and he's a scene stealing actor.

• Love 1