Type keyword(s) to search

Odd Mom Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I like it so far, but the goth look is going to get old. Give that woman some vitamin D! LOL I'm three eps in.

I'm an exercise fiend like Brooke and did a cycling class today. It was all I could do to not put my finger up in a unicorn horn this morning. lol

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 4

I don't know what episode I saw last night/this morning.  But the husband just made partner and the family is in the kitchen.  Look, between her explanation of why moms are on sensory overload when it comes to touch and the shirt that read (what I think was) 'chai maintenance, I'm in.  The sister in law's unabashed racism is like the buttercream icing.  I can't remember exactly what she said about the Thai nanny but I turned my head.  Lol! 

• Love 3

I missed the nanny comment. How many kids does Brooke have? I'm sure it's been said on the show, but can't remember. I do love B's clothes though. :D The actress looks SO much like Reese Witherspoon.

I liked this show overall, although I don't agree with the casting of this show much at all.

Like who cast that one random blonde-haired chick as Jill and her hubby's kid? Their other two kids were fine, but that girl looked NOTHING like either parent.

Mainly, I found most of the actors to be too insanely over the top---like ridiculously so, to the point that it was just so distracting that some jokes lost some of their natural humor for all the overdone, caricature-like/SNL-style performances.

I'm mostly speaking of the blonde sister-in-law and her fellow females in their weirdly Stepford-esque Upper East Side clique---I kept wanting to tell all the actresses to relax and learn the fine art of subtle, realistic dry comedy!! They could learn a thing or three from the entire cast of "Schitt's Creek" or "Arrested Development."

Like I cringed every time they desperately overreacted with the whole "NO BREAD!!!" running gag, or when delivering any of their overdone prejudiced lines---way too hammy to make me chuckle.

The chick who plays Jill is a good actress with nice natural timing, I just wish they'd given her a dose of Brooklyn-chic with some tattoos and maybe relaxed her severely-straightened hair a bit.

Plus...does anyone else think that actress looks severely botoxed? Maybe she just has a naturally pale, blank/lifeless face, but she looks like she gets just as much work done as your typical Manhattan society dame, which is why I've still had a tough time picturing her in the quirky rebel role she's been given. She looks like a severe librarian playing dress-up to me, quite honestly. It doesn't help that she's every bit as skeletal as your typical Manhattan socialite.

Now if they'd cast a plumper((think Melissa McCarthy or Mindy Kalling-esque)), less waxen-looking/more creative-looking actress in the role? THAT would look more like an "odd mom out" indeed.

And I could care less about her sister's lame storyline so far...zzzzz...

• Love 7
(edited)

I liked it.  I think the first two episodes were together, right? 

I like the "No bread!" as well as the unicorn stuff at the fundraiser.  One of the Housewives shows (NYC, I think) did a cycle fundraiser bit.

The funniest part was when OMO asked where the Vons were in the 30's and 40's and the BIL said he didn't know but several showed up in Argentina in the 50's!!!   She just smirked to herself thinking what dumbasses these people are to not think about about a Nazi connection.     

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 3

I'm in. I recorded it on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised. I think some of the OTT stuff is intentional. It's like they're taking certain stereotypes and playing them to the hilt. I loved the line up of the little UES moms, and Brooke complaining that she looks like Shamu when she's skinnier than the average non-pregnant woman! 

I totally connected with Jill on the sensory overload bit. I wanted to Google that study and shove it in my husband's face! Underwear dance party time!

• Love 4

I liked this show overall, although I don't agree with the casting of this show much at all.

Like who cast that one random blonde-haired chick as Jill and her hubby's kid? Their other two kids were fine, but that girl looked NOTHING like either parent.

Mainly, I found most of the actors to be too insanely over the top---like ridiculously so, to the point that it was just so distracting that some jokes lost some of their natural humor for all the overdone, caricature-like/SNL-style performances.

I'm mostly speaking of the blonde sister-in-law and her fellow females in their weirdly Stepford-esque Upper East Side clique---I kept wanting to tell all the actresses to relax and learn the fine art of subtle, realistic dry comedy!! They could learn a thing or three from the entire cast of "Schitt's Creek" or "Arrested Development."

Like I cringed every time they desperately overreacted with the whole "NO BREAD!!!" running gag, or when delivering any of their overdone prejudiced lines---way too hammy to make me chuckle.

The chick who plays Jill is a good actress with nice natural timing, I just wish they'd given her a dose of Brooklyn-chic with some tattoos and maybe relaxed her severely-straightened hair a bit.

Plus...does anyone else think that actress looks severely botoxed? Maybe she just has a naturally pale, blank/lifeless face, but she looks like she gets just as much work done as your typical Manhattan society dame, which is why I've still had a tough time picturing her in the quirky rebel role she's been given. She looks like a severe librarian playing dress-up to me, quite honestly. It doesn't help that she's every bit as skeletal as your typical Manhattan socialite.

Now if they'd cast a plumper((think Melissa McCarthy or Mindy Kalling-esque)), less waxen-looking/more creative-looking actress in the role? THAT would look more like an "odd mom out" indeed.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  The actress is just as stick thin (if not thinner) than her blonde UES counterparts - it was a little unrealistic to follow a storyline of "I eat what I want (donuts)", and "I hate exercise in any form", coming from a woman who has had three children (one set of twins) and is that thin.

I know there are many women out there like this (lucky ones!!), but for the sake of the storyline, I think someone with a little more realistic body shape would have been better.

Otherwise, I liked the show, though.

• Love 3

The actress playing Jill is also the creator/writer of the show so I think the casting was a done deal there.

And I like the friend's storyline. I don't relate to the mom overload stuff (but find it funny still) but I do relate to the character who is 39, single, childless and pretty much just has a job.

• Love 4

I was thinking the exact same thing.  The actress is just as stick thin (if not thinner) than her blonde UES counterparts - it was a little unrealistic to follow a storyline of "I eat what I want (donuts)", and "I hate exercise in any form", coming from a woman who has had three children (one set of twins) and is that thin.

I know there are many women out there like this (lucky ones!!), but for the sake of the storyline, I think someone with a little more realistic body shape would have been better.

Otherwise, I liked the show, though.

I've only seen bits of pieces of the show so far, and I like it just fine.  From what I've seen, it's shaping up to be much better than Bravo's first scripted show, Girlfriends Guide to Divorce.  *shudder*  I like Abby Elliot and the dude that was David Wallace on The Office (in fact I find him verrrry attractive).

As far as the leading lady, Jill Kargman(?) I agree with the quoted sentiment.  I actually found her somewhat difficult to look at in some scenes, like the underwear dance party for example. She's so thin - almost painfully so - and pale and just... severe looking with the black hair.  I was shocked that the actress was only 40 in real life!  I was also equally shocked to read that she is the sister of Drew Barrymore's husband, Will Kopelman.  I've seen him before and he's very nice looking and of normal pallor!

• Love 2

I loved this show, they really got the UES to a tee!  

The "NO BREAD."  LOL, that's happened to me going out to breakfast on the UES.

The insane spin instructor, looks like the instructors I've seen at Crunch.

The stick thin blonde women.  All they need now is a botox party.

(edited)

I read Jill Kargman's book "Momzillas" and didn't realize that she was the leading character, until I read that here!!  :-)

While I appreciate the quirky humor, I don't quite get the "Underwear Dance Party" thing, though....why is the Mom the only one who is dancing around in her underwear?  (And, I may be a prude, but I don't quite get that, either....is is really normal for a Mom of elementary/pre-school aged children to constantly be in her lace panties and tiny tee shirt in front of them?)

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2
(edited)

I read Jill Kargman's book "Momzillas" and didn't realize that she was the leading character, until I read that here!! :-)

While I appreciate the quirky humor, I don't quite get the "Underwear Dance Party" thing, though....why is the Mom the only one who is dancing around in her underwear? (And, I may be a prude, but I don't quite get that, either....is is really normal for a Mom of elementary/pre-school aged children to constantly be in her lace panties and tiny tee shirt in front of them?)

THANK YOU!!!

I'm not a prude in the least and don't mind silly stuff like that, but that whole scene just felt totally awkward and unnecessary. Like the actress playing that character((who is also the writer/developer of the show? Ahhhh, it all makes sense now)) just wanted an excuse to show off how painfully((or in her mind, "enviably")) skinny she is...which was really weird in the sense that she was the *only one* wearing said underwear? Huh?!!

Why not a silly socks dance party or a wacky hat dance party?

And how up-in-arms would the public be if this were a father demanding his family participate in an "Underwear Dance Party"?!

Seriously, what a stupid, forced scene...that's my second main complaint about a show I hope I can eventually like better: bad casting and less forced/stilted acting/awkward running gags.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 5
(edited)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't find Jill to be "painfully" thin. She is definitely on the smaller side, but she isn't without flaws. I noticed she had a bit of a pooch when making the peanut butter sandwich at night, and her son was correct - her butt was a bit jiggly. Some women are just naturally on the smaller side, but having kids can make them just as saggy and wobbly as any other mom. You can still be out of shape. 

I relate more to Jill, but I like her friend's storyline as well. The orphan who has to be cuddled to sleep, just like Jill's 4yo? Hilarious.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 5
Why not a silly socks dance party or a wacky hat dance party?

And how up-in-arms would the public be if this were a father demanding his family participate in an "Underwear Dance Party"?!

I think this is sad.  To me it shows how fucked up a society we have become that the thought of a parent in their underwear with their own children makes people think of abuse.  

• Love 15

I've only seen bits of pieces of the show so far, and I like it just fine.  From what I've seen, it's shaping up to be much better than Bravo's first scripted show, Girlfriends Guide to Divorce.  *shudder*  I like Abby Elliot and the dude that was David Wallace on The Office (in fact I find him verrrry attractive).

As far as the leading lady, Jill Kargman(?) I agree with the quoted sentiment.  I actually found her somewhat difficult to look at in some scenes, like the underwear dance party for example. She's so thin - almost painfully so - and pale and just... severe looking with the black hair.  I was shocked that the actress was only 40 in real life!  I was also equally shocked to read that she is the sister of Drew Barrymore's husband, Will Kopelman.  I've seen him before and he's very nice looking and of normal pallor!

Could only get through one ep of TGGTD. Shudder, indeed. lol

We need less of Jill in her underwear. I know many women who are naturally thin even after multiple pregnancies, but if they are trying to make her the OMO, they should have cast someone with an extra 20 lbs on her frame. I think Jill is funny and a natural, considering this is her first time acting, but some things don't fit. The Morticia Addams look needs to ease. I was really hoping she would do the makeover in the ep with the stem cell facial. No, don't change who you are, but looking like a member of the living is not a bad thing. lol

PS: I like JK's books she wrote with Carrie Karasyov though. Her solo books are nice too, but like the co-written ones better. In the solo ones, she tries to create mega trendy slang and it falls flat.

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings. There were some very funny lines here and there, and there's a specificity to the setting that's really great. You can tell that some of these stories are ripped from real life.

OTOH, Jill Kargman is not a natural actress, and it shows. Also, the in-laws are too similar. You could switch almost all their lines and wouldn't change anything. Also, I wonder if the brother-in-law was originally written as a father-in-law. No 30 year old, no matter how snobbish, arrogant, or rich acts this concerned about geneaology and grave sites.

• Love 1
(edited)

We need less of Jill in her underwear. I know many women who are naturally thin even after multiple pregnancies, but if they are trying to make her the OMO, they should have cast someone with an extra 20 lbs on her frame. I think Jill is funny and a natural, considering this is her first time acting, but some things don't fit. The Morticia Addams look needs to ease. I was really hoping she would do the makeover in the ep with the stem cell facial. No, don't change who you are, but looking like a member of the living is not a bad thing. lol

PS: I like JK's books she wrote with Carrie Karasyov though. Her solo books are nice too, but like the co-written ones better. In the solo ones, she tries to create mega trendy slang and it falls flat.

I was a huge fan of all of Jill Kargman and Carrie Karasyov's adult books (they also each have a bunch of young adult novels), so, if anything, the show has made me pull up their books on my Kindle to re-read this summer (haven't read them since they first came out).  

She really is basing the storyline on the storyline of "Momzillas"....so many similiarities!!!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1

Hmmm I know she's a comedian of sorts. And so it's entirely possible she was going for sarcasm or being tongue-in-cheek, but this Tweet leads me to believe she might buy into the "you can never be too rich or too thin" mantra that she chides those elitist Manhattan moms for!

Jill KargmanVerified account

@jillkargman   So tired of bitter fatties saying Angelina Jolie WAY TOO SKINNY when they'd trade bods with her in a second.

• Love 1

It may be a glass is 1/2 empty, glass is 1/2 full kinda thing, but I think this exactly what wouldn't make her an odd mom out.  It'd ostracize her from the UES Stepford size zeros she hangs around with, so in that respect I agree that she'd be the weirdo inside the script but maybe this an everyday Lane Bryant/Dress Barn momjeandom kind of anomaly since the average mom isn't a zero .  Maybe we got the best of both worlds here because the girl is skinny, but also has wobbly bits, so in a way she's both average and not. 

I thought the underwear dance party was an attempt to make her more relateable if the perspective is: this is how busy I am in the morning, I'm making sandwiches and trying to get these people out of here (she told her sis in law she doesn't have a nanny, remember? lol) and I'm so unbelievably harried that I just fall out of bed and hit the ground running, I don't even have the time to pull on some sweats ffs!  or, something like that.  My thought bubble rewrite is supported by the fact that she's the only one not wearing pants.   So there.  The husband not wearing any wouldn't make sense because the narrative is that his *busy* happens outside the home.   I have to recuse myself from snarking Jill's character about this because with only one kid, I'm not that busy, yet she has seen me in far less in the morning because I just don't care. lol.  No parties and no dancing, just the consequences of gravity.

• Love 3
(edited)

You know I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I like the weirdness of it like the sister-in-law who is 7 months pregnant but doesn't look it at all. Or the doctor friend who's looked down upon because she lives in that poor neighborhood  of SoHo, lol. I related way too much to the SoulCycle scene. I took one bike class and almost died.

I think I'll check it out again on Monday.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
  • Love 3
I think this is sad.  To me it shows how fucked up a society we have become that the thought of a parent in their underwear with their own children makes people think of abuse.

Agree. I thought it was just showcasing that she is a busy mom. She doesn't have a nanny, and is NOT put together at all times. I can't tell you how many times I've been trying to get ready in the morning and have had to come out of the bathroom in a towel, or partially dressed, to deal with one "crisis" or another. My kids aren't phased by it all. 

• Love 6

I think the point is that she may look just like one of them on the outside and lives in similar albeit less fancy trappings, but she's totally different on the inside.

• Love 7

I think the point is that she may look just like one of them on the outside and lives in similar albeit less fancy trappings, but she's totally different on the inside.

I agree. It would be easy to just look at her and go "oh yeah that's the one that's different" if she looks completely different from them all. The joke is at first glance, other than the hair, she is them until you talk to her.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree. It would be easy to just look at her and go "oh yeah that's the one that's different" if she looks completely different from them all. The joke is at first glance, other than the hair, she is them until you talk to her.

Yes, she's not the odd mom out because of the way she looks, but because of who she is and what she represents.

In the first episode, she said that she's not leaving the UES because she was there first.  Many years ago the area east of Park was more middle class.  I remember on 86th street, a Gimbels s and movie theaters that used to show Kung Fu and Blacksploitation movies, and there were fast food restaurants and walk up apartments.  Now that part of the UES are filled with high rises, banks, Starbucks and Panera Breads.  A lot of the old coffee shops are gonzo.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

You know I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I like the weirdness of it like the sister-in-law who is 7 months pregnant but doesn't look it at all. Or the doctor friend who's looked down upon because she lives in that poor neighborhood  of SoHo, lol. I related way too much to the SoulCycle scene. I took one bike class and almost died.

Did you take a SoulCycle class or a 'normal' spinning class? I've taken cycling for years from many different instructors, but never encountered the over the top type like that instructor, but I've heard that SoulCycle is that way. lol The rumor is that they are a cult. :D Anyone read "Primates of Park Avenue"? She talks about the SC devotees. However, there's been a lot of discrepancies in her book such as that she only lived on the UES for three years rather than the six she claims and the Physique 57 she talks about attending wasn't even there when she was and some other stuff. 

I think this is sad. To me it shows how fucked up a society we have become that the thought of a parent in their underwear with their own children makes people think of abuse.

*I* personally don't think of it as abuse in the least, but let's be honest: most of the less-evolved Americans would feel it's inappropriate to show a dad dancing in his undies with his children. It's sad, but y'all know it's true---we live in a country that was ready to vilify Janet Jackson over her nipple accidentally shown for a half-second on national TV.

So my thoughts were basically to wonder to myself, 'Why even go there, new show desperately searching for a new audience?'

Hopefully its time slot and network will keep it from falling into such unnecessary scrutiny. But on the flipside, that whole "underwear dancing" scene just seemed pointlessly tossed in for shockability's sake.

(edited)

*I* personally don't think of it as abuse in the least, but let's be honest: most of the less-evolved Americans would feel it's inappropriate to show a dad dancing in his undies with his children. It's sad, but y'all know it's true---we live in a country that was ready to vilify Janet Jackson over her nipple accidentally shown for a half-second on national TV.

So my thoughts were basically to wonder to myself, 'Why even go there, new show desperately searching for a new audience?'

Hopefully its time slot and network will keep it from falling into such unnecessary scrutiny. But on the flipside, that whole "underwear dancing" scene just seemed pointlessly tossed in for shockability's sake.

Typically the Dad IS the one shown in underwear, although usually sitting on the couch. A little controversy might get this show on the map!

I liked the end to the cycle episode where she is stuck sitting on the toilet because she is so sore she can't stand up. That cracked me up!

I've only seen bits of pieces of the show so far, and I like it just fine. From what I've seen, it's shaping up to be much better than Bravo's first scripted show, Girlfriends Guide to Divorce. *shudder* I like Abby Elliot and the dude that was David Wallace on The Office (in fact I find him verrrry attractive).

David Wallace, THANK YOU! I couldn't place him and IMDB is strangely lacking on this show. Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 3

I have to admit, I tuned in, not really expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I actually loved this. It's now on my DVR list.

What makes Jill the Odd Mom Out is that she's Jewish in a sea of WASPs, even her own in-laws. She doesn't have a nanny. She 'summers' at her own apartment. Her husband, while he's recently made partner, is not a big bucks finance guy. Jill is...different. And she doesn't care.

OMO is snarky and irreverent. And that's a good thing.

• Love 7

I think this is sad.  To me it shows how fucked up a society we have become that the thought of a parent in their underwear with their own children makes people think of abuse.  

I agree with you, I didn't think of abuse during those scenes. I just thought, why wouldn't she just put on a longer shirt. Maybe I have a different standard for mothers than I do fathers. My dad used come home from work and clean up for dinner and then eat dinner in his underwear and a t-shirt. I never thought anything of it. My mother on the other hand was always dressed or wore a long nightgown and a robe or a house dress. I never saw her in her underwear. Different times I guess. 

(edited)

I agree. I love the premise of the show and wanted to like it...but it was kind of over the top and manic. They were simply trying too hard for me (I.E. underwear dance party.) I'll give it another try and see if they dial it back a little. Probably not because I am thinking that is the tone of the show. Which is fine, I just did not connect with it. Edited by jenifaohjenny
  • Love 1

Agree with the "trying too hard", "manic", etc comments.

Also, she doesn't have a nanny because she wants to be with her kids, yet she goes out for breakfast, is out for dinner twice, goes to the spinning class, goes to the spa, with nary a kid in sight.

The main problem I have with her in her underwear is that I find her painfully thin (and given the camera's 10 extra pounds, imagine what she's like in real life?).  Looking at her makes me think of eating disorders, and that makes me uncomfortable.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wanted to like this show, but I just couldn't stay interested. I had to make myself watch the second half (or second episode, it seems they couldn't decide if they wanted it to be one or two episodes). I have no issue with the underwear dance parties and all of the other supposed quirks Jill has (though red lips and black hair do not necessarily scream "outsider!!!" to me...nor does eating carbs and hating exercise), but to me everything felt really forced, because she's trying so hard to come off as edgy and it's just flat. You shouldn't be able to tell the actors are acting, if you know what I mean. I will probably give the next episode a chance, but if I'm still not feeling it I'm out. Which kinda sucks, cos I really did want to like this show. I was just hoping this "edgy" mom was more edgy....not someone who just has the wrong color hair.

Edited by fliptopbox

Also, she doesn't have a nanny because she wants to be with her kids, yet she goes out for breakfast, is out for dinner twice, goes to the spinning class, goes to the spa, with nary a kid in sight.

Yes! This. ^^^ Are the kids in a pre-K which would explain why she can go to breakfast with her BFF. Does she have a part time nanny? That would make more sense with all her child-free activities. 

As someone who's read most of JK's books (solo and co-written), I'd love to see a 'cameo' from one of the characters from "The Right Address." lol I want to see Melanie Korn or Wendy and Joan. :D

On a shallow note, the actress who played Rima (from the BJ place scene) is stunning. She almost made me go blind when she appeared on screen. lol I don't think that ep airs until tonight, but I binged watched the first three eps on Bravo's site.

(edited)

Real quick -  I LOVE THIS SHOW!  Love it, love it, love it.  I giggled all the way through it.  I love her!  I love her husband.  Okay.  The end.  

Was this asked and answered?  I thought the spin instructor was Frances McDormand, from the movie Fargo?  Did I get that wrong?

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 2

I like it so far, but the goth look is going to get old. Give that woman some vitamin D! LOL I'm three eps in.

I'm an exercise fiend like Brooke and did a cycling class today. It was all I could do to not put my finger up in a unicorn horn this morning. lol

I would have laughed so hard and run to the restroom!  LOL  

I would have laughed so hard and run to the restroom!  LOL  

Although I don't usually like when a character is "made over" by friends or relatives, I will admit that Brooke's hair needs some sort of help. It's not hip, goth, or anything I recognize...just oddly straight.

Although I don't usually like when a character is "made over" by friends or relatives, I will admit that Brooke's hair needs some sort of help. It's not hip, goth, or anything I recognize...just oddly straight.

Do you mean Jill? Brooke is the blonde daughter in law. However, I'm a sucker for makeovers & makeover shows. :D 

I see what y'all are saying about Jill's dark elements . However that aspect also makes her 'out'. Most of her clothing in the episodes has been black, dark blues, etc. That is the opposite of the Brooke & her Mommy clique, who we've seen wearing more vibrant outfits.

Wonder if we're going to see of Jill's familial side.

Jill's best friend is my favorite character.

On a shallow note, the actress who played Rima (from the BJ place scene) is stunning. She almost made me go blind when she appeared on screen. lol I don't think that ep airs until tonight, but I binged watched the first three eps on Bravo's site.

That was the same actress who plays Divya on Royal Pains.

• Love 1

This show is definitely growing on me.  I found the episode with the "desirable" grave location last night very entertaining.  Loved the best friend trying to find her "passion" only to realize that her true passion was actually watching TV! I've SO been there!

• Love 1
Jill's best friend is my favorite character.

I think I'm going to have to agree with you there. Despite me being a SAHM of three small kids, I find her BFF somehow very relatable. I'd much rather binge on bad tv than try and make homemade pasta!

• Love 1

This show is growing on me, too...I'm still not sure about Jill Kargman as the lead, just because I don't know if I relate to her, and I find her acting a little manic and rushed (but, maybe that is the character and she's playing it very well....)

I love the supporting cast they have.  Joanna Cassidy as the mother in law is hysterical, and it was driving me crazy who the husband's law partner was, until I saw the credits and realized it was Grant Shaud from Murphy Brown!!  I recognized his voice, but boy, when you're used to seeing someone in one role, and often on repeats of a perfect classic sitcom, it's a shock to see how they have aged!!    :-) 

• Love 1

This show is growing on me, too...I'm still not sure about Jill Kargman as the lead, just because I don't know if I relate to her, and I find her acting a little manic and rushed (but, maybe that is the character and she's playing it very well....)

I love the supporting cast they have.  Joanna Cassidy as the mother in law is hysterical, and it was driving me crazy who the husband's law partner was, until I saw the credits and realized it was Grant Shaud from Murphy Brown!!  I recognized his voice, but boy, when you're used to seeing someone in one role, and often on repeats of a perfect classic sitcom, it's a shock to see how they have aged!!    :-) 

Oh YES I meant to mention that too!  I was like... wait I KNOW that voice..... omg it's MILES from Murphy Brown!  According to IMDB he's 54, so he's not old or anything but it was a shock to see him, well, not looking like Miles Silverberg.