Type keyword(s) to search

Beach Flip - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just watched the first episode (OnDemand), & I think I'll probably keep watching. I thought the right team won but none of the rooms really looked "beachy" to me. I thought everything was too formal, & I hated the painted burlap wall. I wonder if this show is in addition to "Flipping the Block", or instead of it?

(edited)

When was this show filmed?   Josh and David basically said Nicole is pregnant and she sure wasn't showing when I saw her on June 14th in Detroit.  Guess she already had the baby.  She was quite pregnant in this pic from April.

I will keep watching as I am an HGTV junkie and like all the hosts/judges.  

The winning this week will be insufferable if they keep winning.

Edited by Koffee Kup

Just one question: WHY must a house on the beach look "beachy"?  I'm sick of seeing starfish, swordfish and any other damn fish hanging on the walls. I'm also sick of seeing seashells all over the place. And last, but certainly not least, enough with the damn pastel colors, esp. ocean blue. UGH!!

• Love 3

I like the way they are deciding the winner this season. I did not think last season's auction was fair. Going first was a liability.

Did not like the painted burlap wall at all, I knew it was going to be a disaster before they started. That couple does not seem to be very experienced and I hope they can do a better job.

The " we are better than anyone else" girlfriend couple are good , but obnoxious, they need to tone down their self esteem.

I agree with MsTree about looking beachy with fish and seashells......but I do think the colors should be light and calming. The ocean is the centerpiece!

• Love 5

I agree with MsTree about looking beachy with fish and seashells......but I do think the colors should be light and calming. The ocean is the centerpiece!

Yes, I hate all the "kitschy" kind of stuff like seashells, nets, & anchors, but I think the colors should blend with the outside to go with the view. Also, the furniture shouldn't be heavy or dark, beach houses are casual, not formal. When they first showed the interior of each house, & the walls were all painted dark, bright (& ugly IMO) colors, I couldn't even understand who would paint a beach house in those colors.

• Love 3

And did you catch the look on her face when they did? She didn't look too happy about it.

Maybe it was the way David rubbed her stomach like he was the father.  Back off, dude.

Yes, I hate all the "kitschy" kind of stuff like seashells, nets, & anchors, but I think the colors should blend with the outside to go with the view. Also, the furniture shouldn't be heavy or dark, beach houses are casual, not formal. When they first showed the interior of each house, & the walls were all painted dark, bright (& ugly IMO) colors, I couldn't even understand who would paint a beach house in those colors.

The houses seemed to be painted in bright "tropical" colors.  I must admit to feeling more than a bit suspicious of the whole set up, though.  On the one hand, those colors could be hold overs from the 80s/90s; on the other, I wouldn't put it past HGTV to make the houses uglier to up the "Wow!" factor of the transformations.

I haven't seen Flipping the Block because I tend to avoid shows that seem like the teams will be arguing a lot; I'm not a fan of conflict and drama.  For some reason, though, this show caught my fancy, and I think I'm in for the duration.  Overall, I'm lukewarm on the judges (Josh - annoying, but endearing; Nicole - eh; David - ugh), but the teams seem okay.  I really liked the advice that Josh gave at the end of the show.

PS - That burlap wall was the worst thing e-vah!  Judges, don't encourage the crazy.

• Love 1

Ugh that turquoise color rears it's ugly head.  That couple that won Flipping the Block used it in every single room!!

The burlap looked pretty bad.  That line was so noticeable.

The woman that won are going to annoy the crap out of me...I just know it.  But all in all it was a good first episode.

• Love 2

I hate the mandatory trash talking from the contestants. Is every show on HGTV scripted? The winners were not my favorite. I liked the New York couple's design. Sorry, I don't know names yet. It doesn't look like there's one couple that's out of their league like Flip the Block last year. But I think they won, didn't they?

I like the way they are deciding the winner this season. I did not think last season's auction was fair. Going first was a liability.

Did not like the painted burlap wall at all, I knew it was going to be a disaster before they started. That couple does not seem to be very experienced and I hope they can do a better job.

The " we are better than anyone else" girlfriend couple are good , but obnoxious, they need to tone down their self esteem.

How are the doing it this year? I only heard the duo with the biggest profit wins. I agree, last year was awful.

(edited)

How are the doing it this year? I only heard the duo with the biggest profit wins. I agree, last year was awful.

Not the biggest profit, the biggest percentage, that seems more fair than profit.

I didn't think the right kitchen won, I thought it should be the two women again. All the other kitchens were boring, & I absolutely hated that beach scene wall.

Edited: I forgot. The two women once again finished so far ahead of time, that they had time to relax & watch the sunset. They are obviously better at this than the other teams.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5

I think this year they are going by consensus/average of a group of local appraisers, not actually selling the houses. Who knows, the houses may not even be for sale -- the owners could have just leased them to HGTV for several weeks, probably in the winter/early spring off season, in exchange for some nominal rent and whatever value gets added.

I thought that mural/banner with the photograph and the cheesy quote was one of the most horrible, tacky things I have ever seen on any tv design show (and that's saying a lot) but the judges were just over the moon for it? What? Am I the only one with that reaction?

• Love 6

No you are not Peanutbuttercup!  I am amazed that Josh said not to do it yet they did anyway.  The same with the blonde girl about having an all white kitchen.  Usually when they don't listen to the judge/mentor it comes back to bite them in the butt.  But then look at who the judges are.

I am having a hard time finding somebody to root for.  Those 2 girls who are cocky and arrogant make me want to punch them, the blonde girl was very annoying, nosey Nick?  need I say more?  The other couple who just keep fighting are a mess and keep using that color from last year's show.

They all did a pretty good job with their kitchens though.

• Love 3

Add me in to the beach mural haters.  Really?  Maybe something like that could go in a hotel room but I would never want to look at it daily in my home.  

I thought the kitchen that won was extremely boring.

The cocky girls DO need to tone it down.  No fun to watch and they are just making themselves look stupid.

• Love 3

I think it's ridiculous that the host who comes in for a sneak peak at the renovations is the judge for the episode. If I were competing and took their advice, changed my design to accommodate their taste and then lost the challenge, I'd feel cheated, duped and...stupid. I agree that the mural wall was beyond hideous and that Show is throwing those folks a bone because, clearly, they're not gonna win this thing and to prove that the hosts' tips are not biasing them on the challenge. IMO Melissa and Madhi's taste level is not up to par with their competitors. Feels like they were stunt cast to bring the drama.

Also, dang - it looks cold during filming!

And finally, can't wait to see what the girls will snack on next week when they once again finish before anyone! (If they baked those cookies this week, that was clever to bring all five senses into the space). 

(edited)

Watched the first two episodes last night.  I want to like the 2-women team, but their attitude prevents it.  If their "oh we are done so early let's drink/eat" seemed to be intended to be humorous, I would enjoy it, but the "we are better than everyone else" attitiude make their margarita drinking and cookie eating feel like more bragging.  Plus, they seem to be the only ones doing any real trash talking in their talking heads.  The blond from one of the other teams complained that another team was copying them, but I can see why she would think that - it was a logical conclusion based on what she knew, even though it was the wrong conclusion.

Burlap wall - yuck.  Bad idea for texture, bad installation, bad color choice, bad paint application.  The mural - I think it would be a great idea for the sales office of a timeshare company.  For a beach house? - put the saying on a piece of driftwood and hang it on a wall, a mural is too much.  Plus, that couple bickers too much.

I felt sorry for that one couple that had the mold and then got the wrong counter delivered. Even though they were able to get a replacement counter, everything sent them so far behind that they didn't have time for the backsplash.

I haven't seen Flipping the Block because I tend to avoid shows that seem like the teams will be arguing a lot; I'm not a fan of conflict and drama.  For some reason, though, this show caught my fancy, and I think I'm in for the duration.  Overall, I'm lukewarm on the judges (Josh - annoying, but endearing; Nicole - eh; David - ugh), but the teams seem okay.  I really liked the advice that Josh gave at the end of the show..

I don't remember much bickering or trash-talking.  I think there was only one point of contention between any of them - something to do with one woman wanting to use the same cabinet/furniture as someone else, but it was resolved quickly.  If you like Beach Flip, I think you would like Flipping the Block. 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

I didn't think the right kitchen won, I thought it should be the two women again. All the other kitchens were boring, & I absolutely hated that beach scene wall.

I agree.  I wish they could have fixed the clearance issue with the island and the overhang, but they increased the size of the kitchen and put more design "oomph" into it, vs. white, white, and white, which is driving me insane at this point! 

Martha's orange/tan also bothers me, but I like her and her partner personality-wise.

Couple with the mural (I can't remember names) ... I did like their aqua small tile backsplash.  What a beautiful color.  Too bad it wasn't executed very well.

• Love 2

Add me to the mural haters. So cheesy and such an tired "been used too much"saying. Also agree that there was way too much white going on in most of the kitchens. I think the obnoxious women should have won again. I think the idea that the island was too big was just an excuse to not let them win two times in a row. They are the far better team, I just wish they were easier to like and root for.

I don't understand how they pick the teams for this show. If these people are the best 4 couples, I'd hate to see what the rejects would do.

I also don't like Martha's orange tan or her barely visible eyebrows, but I think that she and her partner are doing a good job. I liked their bedroom best.

I wish the judges didn't act so silly or so wowed by what the contestants were doing. 

All that said, I do enjoy the show.

• Love 6

I'm going to have to start recording this show - I'm too invested in FNS so watched it instead. I caught the 1st episode On Demand and I like it. However, the couple who did the master bedroom with the white/turquoise wall behind the bed where there was an ugly horizontal line and unfinished electrical was just fugly! If I owned that house I'd be pissed at what they did to it. I'd love to know how they got these houses - just got owners to sign up with the promise things would be improved? If I owned the house, I'd want a clause that if they did an "improvement" that wasn't up to snuff, HGTV fixes it. But knowing Scripps and their air tight contracts, I doubt it.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying the show but always think Nicole adds very little. She keeps harping on only doing things that will add monetary value, but this is a contest and they have to please the judges which means going beyond bare minimum. I didn't really like the winning kitchen and thought it was very boring. The two women did a nice kitchen even with the huge island. 

I usually don't mind murals and think they can add something distinctive to a house, but they are very personal and should never be used in a property for sale. I also hope we can see some things that are not so beachy, it gets boring after awhile.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another hater of that particular wall mural here. That sign would annoy the heck out of me if I saw it every day of my vacation.

I don't think that long-distance couple is going to remain a couple after this show ends. She's giving too many orders and isn't doing enough of the work. That burlap wall sucked; they should have pulled off the burlap after they painted it and let the paint-speckled wall be the effect.

I hated the kitchen that won. White shiplap (sp?) as the accent wall in an all-white kitchen? Really??? I also hated the red arrow and the wagon wheel. To me, doing an all-white kitchen just means either that you're afraid to make a color choice, or else you have some sort of white=clean fetish.

I thought the obnoxious girlfriends should have won the kitchen challenge. They did the best job even if they are PITAs. That counter wasn't as big a deal as Josh made it seem.

Besides, as someone whose family owns a summer rental property, you want to encourage the renters to be outdoors, to reduce the wear and tear on the inside furniture. So you make the patio areas more inviting for larger groups to use, especially for meals. You need storage for suitcases; you don't need as much closet space for hanging clothes because dress is usually casual and the clothing can be stored in a dresser. You need storage areas for toys and games. You need to be able to fit in a travelling playpen as a baby's bed in a bedroom. You want the place to look nice, but you have to remember that it has to be easy to clean and easy to use, so you need a dishwasher and a washer/dryer for the renters to use. You need a utility closet for the vacuum, maps, cleaning supplies, etc. People are more likely to leave the place cleaner if the owner provides common cleaning supplies, we've found. You don't decorate with fragile tchotchkes; kids throw balls inside the house. Corelle dinnerware works very well; you can store a serving for ten or twelve in less space than the same amount of stoneware, and it's a sturdier product.

(Edit to change "one" to "won")

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 5
(edited)

Do we know if these houses are being used as vacation rentals?  Given the stuff inside - like the scary looking dolls - I thought these were house that people lived in year-round, or perhaps second homes, but not necessarily rentals. 

I think the obnoxious women should have won again. I think the idea that the island was too big was just an excuse to not let them win two times in a row. They are the far better team, I just wish they were easier to like and root for.

Although, I liked the rest of their design, I thought the island was a terrible decision and was worth losing for.  It was too close to the wall.  There was enough room for people to sit, but not enough room for people to walk by when others were sitting there.  And it faced the wrong way, imo.  When you stand at the island preparing a meal, you have a view of a wall - a wall about 6 feet away from you, instead of a view of the beach, which the other three house had. 

I do agree that they are difficult to root for, which may have clouded my judgment here.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2
(edited)

I agree that the island was too wide, which seemed like a rookie mistake for an otherwise accomplished team. You'd think they'd be better with a tape measure! I think that it actually was an attempt to be different, since SO many rental condo kitchens are u-shaped with a bar (not sure we've ever stayed in one that wasn't). Not surprised that the other three teams went with that design. And really, with that layout, if you're eating at the bar, you're looking at a refrigerator instead of the beach anyway. At least with the island you could look left and see some waves *grin*

Edited by jette
  • Love 2

It looks to me like these houses are duplexes, like they are only designing in/working on half the house.  What's with the other half?  Does someone else own that?  Or am I missing something?  Why would you name half a house?  Or are they in 2 full houses, each designing half?  Help me wrap my brain around this craziness.

Lesia, I have stayed at a beach house in Gulf Shores that was the same layout.  It's a 2-story raised duplex, with one unit on each side.  There are 2 of these duplex buildings and the couples are each working on one side of the duplex.Looks to me like they are side by side which probably made the production of the series a lot easier.  The couples are staying off site at what looks to be a very nice, large house with a pool.  I'm sure they filmed this during the late winter, early spring before the beach began to be crowded and in order for the owners of the houses to take advantage of renting out these remodeled beach houses.  I prefer a stand alone house myself, because you never know who is going to be renting the other side.  You may have a very quiet neighbor, or you might end up with 10 people who like to party until the wee hours of the morning and play loud music. 

• Love 1

Thank you, laredhead!  That's what I thought.

I too prefer a stand alone house for rentals, for obvious reasons.  It also looks to me like production painted them garish colors to make the makeovers more dramatic.  what a waste of time.

also, it looks like it's cold out! practically everyone is in a parka when they're outside on the sand.  That surprised me. I thought it would be warm on the Gulf year round. 

• Love 1

Lesia, not warm on the northern part of the Gulf year round.  We can get down to freezing and below several days in the winter.  Looked like to me that they were there when a cold front had moved through because the wind was blowing from the north and the skies were clear blue.  The participants have been wearing coats and jackets for many scenes, but in a couple of the outdoor scenes they were wearing shirtsleeves which indicates maybe the filming took place before or several days after the weather was so cold.  I am thinking this was filmed in late February or early March when we can have what i call whiplash weather - warm, very cold and windy, and then warm again.     

(edited)

I'd set my dvr to record but due to work I'd been unable to watch until tonight. I'm going to play catch up at least with the first episode. Production issues usually catch my attention more than anything since shows like this are lather.rinse.repeat. I noticed when one couple was talking about picking out their flooring for the master bedroom that in some shots it was dark out (the blinds were open and it was pitch black and there was obvious night lighting going on) and in others such as actually looking at the samples it was morning. And of course when the day was done they had them talk about it again. Which says, they talked about picking out the flooring AFTER but worded it as though it was before and production used that. That's almost as bad as a reshoot to me. But sets the tone for how this production team will handle the season. Good to know. 

I am hopeful that the couples aren't as annoying as the ones on Flipping the Block last season. Also since this is a beach house season it made me think of the beachy theme couple from last season. Would have been perfect for them to be on this.

ETA: Scanned through some comments above (not wanting to spoil anything for myself so didn't read thoroughly) and have to say I also find Josh annoying. He's why I almost didn't watch this show. Nicole I can handle in bits (love her but don't love her at same time) and David I just love.

ETA 2: David looks weird in episode one. Like bloated in the face and or bad plastic surgery.

Edited by KarmaG

That's really stupid that the majority of the judges think one team should win, but because it's the other judge's turn, someone else wins. It doesn't even make sense.

I think those scenes are for the show only. I don't think they really think a certain team should win, it's just that they know who the winner is so need to present why the winner shouldn't be the winner.

I thought that mural/banner with the photograph and the cheesy quote was one of the most horrible, tacky things I have ever seen on any tv design show (and that's saying a lot) but the judges were just over the moon for it? What? Am I the only one with that reaction?

Hated the mural/photo thing. It was stupid. I think production forgets these are vacation rentals, not full time residences. Either way though I'd hate the mural and seeing if every day whether it's for a week long stay or every day of the rest of my life.

Just one question: WHY must a house on the beach look "beachy"?  I'm sick of seeing starfish, swordfish and any other damn fish hanging on the walls. I'm also sick of seeing seashells all over the place. And last, but certainly not least, enough with the damn pastel colors, esp. ocean blue. UGH!!

My husband got tired of watching various house hunter shows with me that were on/near any water/beach etc because they always always always had bright tacky "tropical" colors for paint.

• Love 1

I'm going to have to start recording this show - I'm too invested in FNS so watched it instead. I caught the 1st episode On Demand and I like it. However, the couple who did the master bedroom with the white/turquoise wall behind the bed where there was an ugly horizontal line and unfinished electrical was just fugly! If I owned that house I'd be pissed at what they did to it. I'd love to know how they got these houses - just got owners to sign up with the promise things would be improved? If I owned the house, I'd want a clause that if they did an "improvement" that wasn't up to snuff, HGTV fixes it. But knowing Scripps and their air tight contracts, I doubt it.

Just like Flipping the Block and the original version of the show done almost 10 years ago, they'll have one week to fix anything "incomplete" etc. It always happens. So there won't be things left undone like the electrical outlet.

• Love 1

Just like Flipping the Block and the original version of the show done almost 10 years ago, they'll have one week to fix anything "incomplete" etc. It always happens. So there won't be things left undone like the electrical outlet.

But what about that horrible wall behind the bed? Can the homeowners make them change that?

• Love 2

But what about that horrible wall behind the bed? Can the homeowners make them change that?

Nope. As much as we all know it sucks, it's not an actual defect. The contract will surely have terms stating that the homeowners agree to whatever design choices the contestants make. That the network/production team is only liable for actual damages and incomplete work that could be considered dangerous i.e. bad wiring etc.

In the week on Flip the Block, I could have sworn they made esthetic changes as well as fixing things like electrical outlets.

They CAN but they don't have to and the question I was asked was if they had to.

Good episode & I was okay with winners. That said, the beams weren't all that impressive & I doubt it would make me rent the place. The long distance couple are so out of their league. Their work is always shotty and never completed. Have they even flipped a house or done an actual house project? I certainly wouldn't hire them. The other 3 pairs have a lot of talent and I would be happy if any of them won.

• Love 3

I cannot believe that Melissa wasted a whole day trying to get bigger sliders without first even finding out what something like that would cost or looking up what the standard pre-finished sizes are. He's bulldogging all day with that floor tile, and she's doing nothing productive.

If I was Madhi (sp? ) I'd say adios to that relationship once the show is over.

I still don't understand why the two annoying friends did that living room floor on the diagonal, when they hadn't done that in the kitchen. It really seemed to be a senior moment on their part. I loved the look of their room otherwise.

• Love 9

Martha needs to dial back down on the fake bake, she looks like an Oompa Loompa. I didn't think their room should have won, it was too crowded, I actually don’t know which one should have won, because I wasn’t impressed with any of them this week. The diagonal floor was just stupid, & the long distance couple can't get anything finished. I don't know why they didn't just put floor to ceiling glass on either side of the door to bring in more light if they couldn't do a bigger door.

• Love 1

I think the room that won did so because although crowded it came across as more complete and home-y while some of the others were empty enough to look like a rental.  Although these may be rentals in the end, at the moment they want them to be remodeled as a home that will have extra value.  I liked the winning room the best.  I don't like the realtor friends much as they seem to think they are the best at everything.  

• Love 2

I found these houses on the web site of their property management company. The pictures are of their original interiors, which makes sense since they don't want to show the finished product before the show finished airing. They all sure could benefit from a good sprucing up, even that hideous master bedroom wall the long distance couple screwed up so badly would be an improvement. I wonder how much they raised the rental fees post renovation. We rented a duplex like these in Atlantic Beach, NC for 2 years about 10 years ago. The other side was not rented out our first year, and we could see through the windows that it was furnished much more nicely, so the second year we rented it instead.

I have stayed in many Gulf Shores beach houses over the years, and have often wondered how much sand had been ground into the carpets of houses that had carpet.  Seeing them tear out the stair carpet last night was revealing.  Never put carpet in a beach house, even on the second floor where you think not much sand will be deposited.  Carpet probably makes the stairs less noisy, but it's not very practical.  I would never put wood flooring in either, because sand is abrasive and no matter how good the finish is on the wood floor, it it going to scratch - think "sand paper".  These are rental houses and aren't going to be maintained like an owner would living there full time.  Tile is the best for upkeep - IMHO.  Some of the pictures on the HGTV site show what appears to be electrical wiring taped around the edge of the ceiling in a couple of the houses.  Has anyone else seen this know what that is?  

• Love 4

Martha's room won, IMO, because she crammed every available bit of floor space with Joss & Main product. Evidently, whoever showcases the sponsor best wins. What else explains why anyone in their right mind would put a nautical lamp (?) at the base of a staircase which, in real life, would only serve to trip up anyone actually coming down the stairs? 

Also stupid to have a chair so close to a sofa that the person sitting in said chair boxes in anyone sitting on the sofa.

And finally, stupid to throw fits on national tv, Martha's teammate (whose name I can't bother to remember because you're such a baby)

• Love 3

If it's going to be a rental property, then living room seating is needed, which is perhaps why that room won. A lot of times there are two families sharing the cost of the rental, so the home that can seat the most gets the rental dollars. Also, a lot of families will rent in the same locale as a way of getting together for a week and they rotate the evening gatherings throughout their multiple rentals, so seating is needed.

I think that a lot of the value of these units is going to be based on how well it will function as a rental unit -and- as a personal getaway.

Just based upon my own family's experience, you try to at least rent out the place for enough weeks to cover the mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc., and then use the rest of the time for yourself.

• Love 1

I'm really enjoying Beach Flip. There're already increasing the value of the houses so far. I can't recall what the market value & rental income (if told) before the flip but it's already an improvement. The homes currently have a great location and view. I just need to be clear on something. These are two side by side units, right? And, both houses are right next to each other, right? I get confused when the show them running up the stairs to the properties and just wanted to make sure.

ByaNose, as far as I can tell from the pictures we have seen, the units are side by side and they are located next to each other.  As I commented in an earlier post, that certainly would have made the production of this series a lot easier on the crew.  BTW, I read that Nicole Curtis had a baby boy in May if anyone is curious or interested.

• Love 1

I just finished watching the kitchen episode and I have so many comments...

The two male judges lost all credibility by proclaiming the beach mural a beautiful thing. Those things were cheesey when people first started doing them in the 1970's and nothing has changed. For God's sakes, put more windows in and let the homeowners see the real beach! The beach should be the showstopper in every room.

The winners had a boring beige kitchen, which Josh tacitly admitted by advising the winning couple to "work on the wow factor". Translation: it had no exciting or creative design to it, but you didn't make any major mistakes, so you get the win. Martha? proclaiming that the other designers better look out for them now...what a joke. Nobody's running scared of you based on that kitchen. And stop trying to take credit for white subway tile. It's just about the safest choice you can make for a backsplash, and doesn't show any particular design skill. I also didn't understand the almost orgasmic reaction to the wagon wheel. 

The all-female team seems head and shoulders above everyone else in their design skills, color choices and time management. Which makes these weird problems they have with measurements all the more perplexing. Who buys a fan without checking teh blade length is correct for the room in which it's going? People with their experience should also know to tape off the area designatedfor the island before it's built, so they can see how it will work in the space. And once they realized it was too big, they should have immediately had it cut down. The way they shrug their shoulders over what I consider major mistakes--no wired lighting in the bedroom, a miniscule ceiling fan at the beach that will have to be replaced to be effective, and a kitchen island area that will box people in the same way sitting in the middle of crowded row in the theater will do., is just frustrating. I'm rooting for them based on talent, but I'm going to have to permanently put them on mute if they continue with the incessant bragging.

The couple crying over the wrong countertop...you don't do marble at the beach. It will be ruined in a week.   

• Love 4