Type keyword(s) to search

Battlebots - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I originally also thought Bite Force should have narrowly won over Chomp, so carefully re-watched the entire match a second time. While very close, ultimately Chomp was virtually undamaged at the end of the match, while Bite Force was weaponless and fairly beaten up. I revised my vote and agreed with the judges. It was a pretty nice contest, and worth its position at the end of the episode.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2016 at 9:05 AM, QuantumMechanic said:

Someone upstream said that because ABC feels a bot winning by good driving and just shoving the other one around is bad TV there were rules changes.

Good, as far as I'm concerned -- to my admittedly untrained eye, driving was the reason Bite Force seemingly won last year and I thought it was bad TV. It's also called Battlebots, not Driving Bots. To me, there's a reason, the audience isn't chanting "Drive! Drive! Drive!"

I continue to find Tombstone's driver oddly charming. He has all the menace of the proprietors who used to dress up and frighten Scooby Doo on the old cartoons.

• Love 2

I still don't like the look of Chomp.  I can appreciate the engineering involved (the only bot we know of with the sensor system inside that helps it stay facing its opponents), and I like the driver.  I just think it's an ugly bot.  But it was the bot that could take out the redesigned defending champ.  That knife hammer was at just the right arm length to get in and disable Bite Force's drum.  So props to Chomp for getting it done.  Now get beat and get lost, so you can get redesigned.  And I predict Bite Force will be back to the old design in the next tournament.

Lots of luck in the Nightmare/Beta match.  Nightmare got the lucky shot at the start to take out Beta's beater.  But Beta got the better luck with the buzzer-beater of a flip on Nightmare.  That's also a great counter-example to the ABC school of thought that "wedge-bots don't make good matches".  Beta without the hammer was a wedge, and that match was a nail-biter.

MegaTento got squashed, just like all its' predecessors.  But it was fun to see back in the tournament after all these years.  Let's hope Lisa's got a better design for next year.  As for Yeti, that's another beast of a bot, and a hell of a driver.  It's the dark horse heading into the next round.

Tombstone and Brutus were well matched before the box was locked.  They were ready for each other and had strategies in place.  Tombstone's was just better.  But the surprising part was how Tombstone's driver acted post-match.  Instead of being the heel as he was portrayed before, he was polite and highly praising of Team Brutus.  Makes me wonder if the heelish persona he had last year was to help garner an audience to help the show continue on. 

Still want to see Tombstone knocked out of the tournament though.  Not because of any animosity, but because that would change the game.  As it stands, Tombstone will probably be in the finals again, facing either Bronco or Minotaur.  But I'd love it if Beta struck true and snuck through.  Or Yeti iced him.  Not Chomp though.  Tombstone can devour Chomp for all I care.

Looks like the next episode is a double length season finale.  If it weren't for the human games, these would probably have been split up into 2 episodes; the 4 quarterfinal matches in one episode, and the semis- and finals in the finale.  Here's the final brackets and a probable play of events.

1. Tombstone v Beta
  2. Chomp v Yeti
  3. Bronco v Minotaur
  4. Bombshell v Poison Arrow
  5. Semifinal - Winner 1 v Winner 2
  6. Semifinal - Winner 3 v Winner 4
  7. The Rumble - Whatever bots are still operational. 
  8. Finals - Winner 5 v Winner 6

No matter what, this is going to be good.

• Love 1

Allright, finale time! The Elite 8 are all very good bots.

Chomp vs Yeti: Now this fight I've been waiting to see, and it was up first. Yeti, the drum spinner vs Chomp, the hulking hammer blade. I forget that Chomp has that laser guiding system, helping it offset the weakness of its cumbersome body a little bit. Like I said, its body would be its undoing, which would make it just easy picking for any bot with the right weapon, which was most of the bots that were left. Yeti had to take on the winner of Tombstone vs BETA, and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Tombstone vs BETA: Both bots are frighteningly good. BETA, the British Hammer, vs Tombstone, the bar spinner of death. Well, when you have a bot like Tombstone, it's no wonder the driver is a loveable heel. Unlike Brutus, Tombstone earned that cockiness. BETA just happened to have Tombstone's only weakness: a shot from above, and BETA absolutely took advantage of that, but when Tombstone's bar got flipped over, he just tore BETA apart. An all around great fight.

Bombshell vs Poison Arrow: The Swiss Army Bot vs The Rake, very interesting matchup. Didn't realize both bots had drones, too. Was not expecting Poison Arrow to get wedged against the wall, then get freed by Bombshell, and was certainly NOT expecting it to land behind the screws. The ONE bot that could've done it, and there was no escaping from that.

Bronco vs Minotaur: The Launcher vs The Boy from Brazil. Here's another fight I've been wanting to see, and they saved it for last. Bronco just had to get matched up with a bot that can drive on either side and could get under it. You have to respect a bot that can lose most of its wheels and keep going.

Bombshell vs Minotaur: Very good driving from both bots, but yeah, until they struck each other, it made for a dull match. Minotaur was able to keep going with only one wheel. Again, respect.

Yeti vs Tombstone: Tombstone brought out its longest bar for this one, and it looked impressive. But Yeti actually took it out, and it was the best thing that could've happened.

Rumble: Bite Force, Wrecks and Witch Doctor were the only ones left. That was a fun bout, and man Wrecks almost looked like it would somehow win for a second. And Witch Doctor got pinned against the wall. Again.

Bombshell vs Tombstone: This was Bombshell's to lose, and Tombstone of course tore it apart in seconds. Was there any shock that it wasn't going to win? It ran into some trouble in the Yeti fight, but Tombstone fought like a champ, and now the game will change to see if anyone can take it out.

Well that's it, see you folks next time. It was fun.

• Love 1

Watched this for the first time this year.  A lot of fun but I was a bit disappointed to realized that the machines are remote controlled.  How soon might autonomous vehicles be able to handle a competition like this?

This whole season has kind of felt like the "Tombstone Redemption Tour," so I was happy with the result. Stunned that Minotaur went out in the final 4. I think they were, too. I can't tell if Bombshell was that lucky or that good.

The Yeti/Tombstone battle really was one of the best of the season. I thought Tombstone deserved the victory, but wow, what a match!

Fun season -- enjoyed the new rule changes. If anything, it made it easier to sort of predict who might win: "damage done by primary weapon" was a lot easier to quantify than "control of match."

And as always, Faruq was the best (even though I thought he was going to start reciting all of "Lose Yourself" with that Yeti intro).

• Love 1

Tombstone earned that win.  Not in the finals, but in the quarters and semis.  The fight with Beta was a clear victory, since he practically tore off the big hammer.  And even though Yeti did stop the "irresistible force" that is Tombstone's spinner, it was after he'd lost a couple wheels, so his own weapon was useless.  Tombstone got that one on based on aggression and experience in the box.

As for the finals, Tombstone was able to get in and under Bombshell's spinner and remove his mobility.  Which is the reverse of what I said Bombshell needed to do to beat Tombstone.  Maybe if Bombshell had started with his blade lower, Tombstone might not have been able to get in and get the first couple hits that stopped Bombshell in his tracks.

On 9/2/2016 at 10:45 PM, Eolivet said:

Stunned that Minotaur went out in the final 4. I think they were, too. I can't tell if Bombshell was that lucky or that good.

Again, a little of both.  The big hit of spinner on drum was apparently enough to knock loose the drive belt on one side of Minotaur.  Oddly, it was on the side opposite the big gash on Minotaur that we were shown in the pits.  And even though Minotaur had a remarkable driver, the balancing act they were doing probably overloaded the drive motor on the other side and burned it out.   So, Bombshell got a lucky hit, but was good enough to get the opportunity to make said hit.

What really puzzled me about Minotaur was them not putting on a fresh drum for the semis.  I mean, if you have 2 spares and there's only 2 fights left, why not put a brand-new, unscarred and undamaged weapon on your bot?  For all we could tell, the damage done to Minotaur was semi-self-inflicted, as in the part that knocked out the drive belt could have been a sliver of the drum that was knocked in after getting cut loose by Bombshell.  Swapping for a fresh drum might have been what they needed to do to counter the lucky hit.

Bronco also made a mistake in not removing a part.  In this case, it was their back wedge armor that they added for dealing with spinners like Tombstone.  I know it had served them well since they added it, but because they had that on, they couldn't use their wheelguard armor due to the weight limit.  And they should have known Minotaur was going to go for those exposed wheels.

On 9/1/2016 at 9:01 PM, Galileo908 said:

Bombshell vs Poison Arrow: The Swiss Army Bot vs The Rake,

Poison Arrow wasn't the Rake; HyperShock was.  Poison Arrow was the Rake Breaker.

• Love 1

IT'S COMING BACK!  But on a different network.   I saw it this morning on the Science Channel!   July 12, not sure of the time, and its not on their website yet.  BUT IT'S COMING BACK!!  *happy dance*

(edited)

It'll probably be on at 10:00 because that's when Broadchurch, Suits, and Younger are on. Every show I'm watching this summer is on then.

eta: It is on at 10:00! I KNEW IT!!!!!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 2

https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/press-releases/2018/let-bot-battles-begin-discovery-channel-green-4220/

The epic robot-fighting series BattleBots is making its triumphant return with all-new episodes set to premiere this spring on Discovery Channel and Science Channel. BattleBots features the biggest, baddest, strongest, and fastest next-generation robots from all over the world as they duke it out for supremacy in the rapidly exploding world of Robot Combat Sports.

• Love 2

I love the dynamic Chris Rose and Kenny Florian have.  They really, truely love the carnage.  I hope they return for the new season.

The hostess?  I prefer the season one lady, Molly.  She seemed more into the bots.  She made other observations besides, "Oh, that bot is pretty.". I'd like to see her again.

• Love 2

NEW SEASON begins this Friday, May 11, 2018 on the Discovery Channel.  Can't wait!   

There will be a Battlebots marathon all day Friday and then a new episode at 8pm EDT. 

Apparently, the Science Channel will also be airing episodes along with Discovery.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think new episodes start this Friday.  I remember because we have house guests coming and I expect them at 8pm, when the new Battlebots happens.  

Edited by enoughcats

New episodes (https://battlebots.com/):

Let the Bot battles begin! We’re excited to announce that Discovery Networks (Discovery & Science Channel) has ordered up a fresh new series of BattleBots—bursting with robot combat goodness. Sparks flying, robots dying, all coming to your TV screens starting May 11th at 8:00pm on Discovery, and May 16th at 9:00pm on Science Channel. Your favorite bots will be back along with some exciting new comers, and we’ve got a twist to our traditional tournament format that will mean more fights on screen, and more fights for your favorite bots! Join us May 11th (and each week thereafter) for the glorious robot carnage over at our new homes on Discovery & Science Channel!

All the robots (new and old) are here: https://battlebots.com/2018-season-robots/

• Love 1
On 5/9/2018 at 8:04 PM, chitowngirl said:

Are these new episodes, or just new to Sci channel? These seem familiar, but I know a lot of the same bots compete every season.

Brand spankin’ New!

The new season is aired on Discovery last night.  The new season airs on Science Channel next Wednesday night.  

Why are they doing that?  I know they are sister stations but why would I wait until Wednesday to watch when I can see it Friday?  I could understand a Wednesday and Thursday  showing but they're showing them almost a week apart.  Although I read that SCI has another fight not aired on DIS.  

I've been waiting two years for this.  My son loves BB and we just watch the first two seasons on a loop.  Nice to add new episodes to that loop.

So glad they have Farook, Chris, and Kenny back.  I actually love the color commentary.  And I love when schrapnel hits right in front of them.  Chris jumps higher than a scared cat!  ?

On 5/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, Destiny74 said:

The new season is aired on Discovery last night.  The new season airs on Science Channel next Wednesday night.  

Why are they doing that?  I know they are sister stations but why would I wait until Wednesday to watch when I can see it Friday?  I could understand a Wednesday and Thursday  showing but they're showing them almost a week apart.  Although I read that SCI has another fight not aired on DIS.  

I've been waiting two years for this.  My son loves BB and we just watch the first two seasons on a loop.  Nice to add new episodes to that loop.

So glad they have Farook, Chris, and Kenny back.  I actually love the color commentary.  And I love when schrapnel hits right in front of them.  Chris jumps higher than a scared cat!  ?

Cause airing it on a Saturday is not wise and Science is premiering a new show for Wednesday’s so maybe they catch the end and get hooked and will see a new episode is only a day or two away.

3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Cause airing it on a Saturday is not wise and Science is premiering a new show for Wednesday’s so maybe they catch the end and get hooked and will see a new episode is only a day or two away.

Then I think they should have started it on the Sci channel Wednesday night and then the disc channel premier on Friday.  The way it is, if we want to watch on sci we wait five days.

Man, I have been having a lot of stress lately and I had no idea how I needed some wanton destruction until I sat down to watch this show last night.  That poor bot that got RIPPED IN HALF!  I've never seen anyone beg the ref to stop that match before.

• Love 1

The new season is absolutely awesome!  Many of the battles have been spectacular.   I love the idea of round robin prelims before we get into the "medal round", it means lots of battles and you get to see a wide variety of matchups.  I hope they keep putting a 3 bot rumble in each episode.

The Science channel did itself no favors earlier this year when it started clapping "New" on episodes that were 2 and 3 years old.  I'd set the DVR to record it only to see that it was one I had already seen.  I didn't realize there was actually a "new" new season until last week when I caught the episode on Discovery.

• Love 1

Sci channel does have new material in the hour they present (repeat).  They still have the battles, but they have 'bonus' material.  Last night's (5/30) had really good interviews with a lot of the bot creators.  The woman who with her crew has "voo-doo" dressed up and whose bot got mangled by tombstone in Ep 1 this year came across as really intelligent as she talked about how this year is different and you had to design to keep your bot in working order through mayhem, because you wanted to advance and so you had to have replaceable parts, etc.  Then there was an interview with a bot we haven't seen yet where the  creator talked about using the 3-d printer they brought with them as well as the one available to all the teams to remake parts as needed.  That was an eyeopener to stone age me. 

After that, Mr ECats demanded that we tape the Wednesday night version for future watching and he seldom cares about that sort of thing. 

Last night's massive destruction was a "look at that" "and that" and h--- ---t comments at our house. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

For me, it's love/hate.  Tonight, it was love.  When the other bot had lost it's exoskeleton, the underbot was dancing around.  Tombstone's owner yelled "Stand still" because the other owner didn't know that he needed to stand still to get a call for a knock out.  And with a knockout, Ray would hold Tombstone back from obliterating the naked bot.  And Tombstone could have taken that apart so easily.  So very very easily.  To me that was the golden rule in play and it surprised me, in a positive way for Tombstone to hold back.  That way the other bot has a chance to fight again in this series.  

The thing I love most about Tombstone (beyond the lack of fru-fru worthless decoration) and the elegant simplicity of its design......is that they built a totally separate bot to carry Tombstone around and up to the area.  That just tickles me every delivery.

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 2

After the first 3 episodes of the season, this was a disappointment.  Two very hyped battles being essentially over within the first 30 seconds.

I definitely expect to see an extra battle next week on the Science rerun.  This past week it had some interesting bonus information, but it did NOT have a bonus battle.

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Tombstone vs. Gigabite-hahahahahaha! THAT’S why I love this show! 

That said, for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

Ray was totally obnoxious on the first season (2015).  He took an unnecessary potshot at the end of his semi-final round and the impact literally gutted Tombstone, he still won the round.  For the finale against Bite Force, his motor started smoking and he didn't have the umph he needed to win the match, BiteForce was champ.

I think he learned a lot of humility from that.  He ate some crow and came back for season 2 not quite the ass he was in season 1.  He won season 2.

So, seeing what he was season 1 to the competitor he became in season 2 ( and seems to be in season 3), I have started liking him.  Tombstone is a beast, a super tough robot to beat and Ray knows it.  He could be an ass again because Tombstone can back up most of his attitude but I like seeing him be a little more humane and not quite the big man in the box.  I think the humble pie was good for him.

All this to say, if you dislike him now, you'd have really hated him season 1. ?

• Love 2

I think this is only my second season watching this.  I like to play a little game with myself to predict the winners.  I have to admit I'm not very good at it, I think my record is something like 8-7 this season.  Seems like it should be easier to predict.  I really screwed up by picking Gigabyte to upset Tombstone, I should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

• Love 1
On 6/1/2018 at 6:03 PM, chitowngirl said:

That said, for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

It's the smirking and gloating over an RC lawn mower.  He has finesse, and no technical skills.  He seems just as disposable this season as he ever has.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, Destiny74 said:

All this to say, if you dislike him now, you'd have really hated him season 1. ?

I did and I do.

Ray's bot is not nice to look -- it's just a box and a blade on wheels.  It sucks and so does he.  He's the perfect example of a sore winner.

• Love 2

Funniest moment: Chris saying Billings shows "good sportsmanship" followed by Billing laughing and gloating over his win.

Second favorite: Saying that Billing "continues to make improvement" when all he does is change the blade.

Had to laugh when Icestorm tore up Yeti's wheels while Yeti was being counted out.  If they hadn't made a point about Icestorm's blades being painted to make them hard to see, I'm not sure if I would have bought that it was an accident.  When Icestorm's owner was being interviewed, you could see Yeti's owner stomping around in the background, apparently still mad about it.  Oh well.

My predictions improved to 4-1 this week, so I was happy  ;)

(edited)

Someone explain to me how the Chomp battle was a split decision?  She was on her side or trying to manuever to get away the whole time.  She didn't land any hits and only one it two times did her fire touch.  Gurl power is the only thing I can think of.

Chomp may have some impressive AI in it but this is a demolition comp, not an expo.  I get why people are less than impressed with a bot like Tombstone because it is pretty basic and a brawler but that is what this comp is.  

Sorry, Zoe never impressed me, any season.  I guess I am biased.

Edited by Destiny74
Name change
  • Love 6

Last season I didn't like Chomp.  I didn't like the apparent instability of it and I really didn't want it to win as often as it did.  Of the women competitors, though, I liked the way Chloe thought.  No died hair, no silly theatrics, and she didn't make a big plastic bug.

What I did like, or at least admire, about Chomp was the inclusion of AI in zeroing in on it's prey.  It did that well two years ago. 

Early on this season I wondered if Chomp was even going to be in the competition. Even last night's episode, Chomp didn't get much air time at all until its match.  And then it became obvious why.  Chomp had been overdesigned.  It self righted too slowly and had lost what speed it had two years ago. 

As a woman who was active in science before these women competitors were born I cringe when they go into "girl power" and those things.  Simplicity but correct design will out, but never overlook the obvious.  Engineering celebrates multiple ways of reaching a conclusion and then cost and efficiency and strength of materials get figured in.  
Chomp lost its ability to keep its 'eye' on the prize.

I cringed when the woman judge caused the split decision.  It bothers me twelve hours later.  It should bother Chloe. 

• Love 6

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the female judge brought in some gender bias in making Chomp's fight a split decision.  Can't see any justification for that at all, unless she was giving points for Chomp's use of the flamethrower, but that is a BIG stretch.  

I was 3-2 in my predictions this week.  Could have been 4-1 but Captain Shredderator stopped working after seemingly having a win cinched.  

Bronco was impressive in flipping its opponent out of the arena in the main event.

• Love 2

I enjoy watching Huge. It’s so different from the others. Seeing that the flame didn’t stop it, I’m not sure what can disable it. I don’t think it can win the whole thing, but I’m betting it will lose in a judges’ decision. 

I also enjoy seeing SawBlaze at work. I’d like to see it against Tombstone. It potentially could do some nifty damage. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, 4Sibes Redux said:

I also enjoy seeing SawBlaze at work. I’d like to see it against Tombstone. It potentially could do some nifty damage. 

My money's on Tombstone in that encounter.

Honestly, this season has shown a side of Jamison that I don't like.  I get he may have issues with Charles and the way he ran the group and trash talk there might have been warranted.  But he had an attitude this episode that I didn't like either.  

Tonight's (6/20) bonus fight was a rumble.  One bot died quickly, the other two fought it out.  The one that looked like a small wagon lost its wheels one by one (Ok, the other bot removed them violently).  Anyway,  if you are a Monty Python and the Holy Grail fan, that darned rumble strongly resembled part of that movie when the knight refused to yield, and refused and refused as he lost limb after limb...... A good rewatch just for that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

Tonight's (6/20) bonus fight was a rumble.  One bot died quickly, the other two fought it out.  The one that looked like a small wagon lost its wheels one by one (Ok, the other bot removed them violently).  Anyway,  if you are a Monty Python and the Holy Grail fan, that darned rumble strongly resembled part of that movie when the knight refused to yield, and refused and refused as he lost limb after limb...... A good rewatch just for that.

Tis only a flesh wound!

• Love 1
On 6/16/2018 at 9:49 AM, Destiny74 said:

I get why people are less than impressed with a bot like Tombstone because it is pretty basic and a brawler but that is what this comp is. 

I'd like to see some kind of pre-qualification based on creativity.  Tombstone is boring, and Billings is an ass, and that's a deadly combination.  I might be able to handle Billings attitude if Tombstone was even fractionally interesting, but together they just make me puke.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:47 AM, 4Sibes Redux said:

To be honest, my money is always on Tombstone. 

That is precisely the problem.  No one bot should be so over-matched. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

No one bot should be so over-matched. 

Oh, for the good old days when there were three or four different weight classes.  The small classes allowed for more creativity, because ....moments of inertia, defenses, ballancing defense vs offense.  

Can anyone come up with an interview Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters) did about why his bot didn't compete back in the day?  This from his personal wiki

He is known among Robot Wars devotees for his robotentry, Blendo, which, for a time, was deemed too dangerous for entry in the competition. 

And Blendo has a wiki page

Blendo is a combat robot designed and built by Jamie Hyneman. Adam Savage wired the electronics and control systems.[1]

Blendo had the first effective implementation of the full-body kinetic energy spinner weapon that became common in Robot Wars. The robot had a shell made from a wokand was spun by a lawnmower engine. Blades attached to the shell caused damage to its opponents, removing bodywork and in some instances causing them to be thrown over the polycarbonate safety shields into the audience.

I didn't remember seeing Blendo but there's a great collection of Blendo pictures here as well as some photos of other bots from its time.  There's also an explanation of Jamie sharing a championship for withdrawing. 

Anybody want to see Blendo 2.0 take on a  winner?

Edited by enoughcats
On 6/16/2018 at 3:45 PM, rmontro said:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the female judge brought in some gender bias in making Chomp's fight a split decision.  Can't see any justification for that at all, unless she was giving points for Chomp's use of the flamethrower, but that is a BIG stretch.  

I was 3-2 in my predictions this week.  Could have been 4-1 but Captain Shredderator stopped working after seemingly having a win cinched.  

Bronco was impressive in flipping its opponent out of the arena in the main event.

Yes, I couldn't get the split decision either. It was obvious Chomp lost. And my first thought was sure its the female judge. I was never a Chomp fan but boy did it look awful out there. 

• Love 2