Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/15/15

Truly fortuitous that Malala was the scheduled guest for tonight's show. 

Indeed. That was Jon's most powerful speech since the first show after 9/11. And he didn't hold back, calling it what it truly is: a hate crime committed by a racist terrorist. And the sad thing is he's correct in stating that nothing will change because of it. Race, guns. Intransient attitudes will continue to hold tight indefinitely.

Thank God for Malala being the guest. She went through so much hate herself just for her belief in young girls getting an education. She was so poised and confident and full of joy talking to Jon. And I laughed when she made that crack about New Jersey to him.

• Love 14

American Presidents are term limited, and you can't run as a VP candidate if you aren't eligible to be Prez (since the main job of the VP is to take over if the Prez is incapacitated). So Bill Clinton can't run as a VP candidate. I suspect that if he could run, he would run for the top slot anyway-- and probably would win.

I was watching the overnight ABC and CBS news coverage of Charleston last night, and one of them ran Jon's monologue. It actually seemed that the anchors were pretty broken up and having trouble maintaining the usual bland news anchor detachment, which I didn't even see after Sandy Hook. I'm kind of glad to see that Fox is not representative of all the networks. Also, just wanted to say that if it  had been a Black person shooting people in a white church, I don't see FoxNews being as reluctant to name a racial motive (much less if the shooter had openly declared one!)-- but it helps me to see that FN is its own special kind of sickness, and that actually not all, not even all mainstream, outlets are as venal as they are.

• Love 2

The thing that stood out for me was Trump's use of Neil Young's Keep On Rockin' In The Free World,

The thing that stood out to me was his descent on the escalator, with Melania leading the way. Where was he? It looked like a mall.

Donald J. Trump. President of the mall.

• Love 1

No question, that was one of the most powerful monologues Jon has ever given, and I agree with him 100%. It isn't even so much about this one incident it's the fact that this stuff happens over and over and nobody ever does anything about it while we pour trillions of tax dollars into fighting enemies overseas. Tragic.

That said, get your pitchforks and torches ready, because here's my problem with Malala. I know we're all supposed to bow down and worship her, and truly her courage and fortitude are admirable. But she still adheres to a religious tenet that says She Is Less Than. I just can't get behind that. I just can't wrap my head around anyone so able to compartmentalize they can still embrace the very religion that got her shot in the head in the first place. I don't get it and I never will.

• Love 2

No question, that was one of the most powerful monologues Jon has ever given, and I agree with him 100%. It isn't even so much about this one incident it's the fact that this stuff happens over and over and nobody ever does anything about it while we pour trillions of tax dollars into fighting enemies overseas. Tragic.

That said, get your pitchforks and torches ready, because here's my problem with Malala. I know we're all supposed to bow down and worship her, and truly her courage and fortitude are admirable. But she still adheres to a religious tenet that says She Is Less Than. I just can't get behind that. I just can't wrap my head around anyone so able to compartmentalize they can still embrace the very religion that got her shot in the head in the first place. I don't get it and I never will.

I cried through his monologue.  It was honest and powerful, and I'm glad it's getting tons on airplay today all over.

With regards to Malala, Islam doesn't prevent her from getting an education.  I teach many Muslim kids, and in most families, the parents want both the boys AND the girls to succeed in school.  I had a little girl last year from Somalia who came dressed in a hijab each day, but her mom and dad were both determined that she would excel.  She's going to take the world by storm someday.  Malala's fighting against the branch of Islam that says girls are somehow less.  It's like saying all Christians follow the Quiverfull belief system of girls being uneducated and basically popping out as many babies as possible.  

• Love 9

I missed the show last night, and I hate watching programming online, but after hearing about Jon's opening segment I had to head to the Comedy Central website to see it.  Wow.  He had me at "We still won't do jack shit," but once he got into the disparity of response to domestic vs. foreign terrorism and "nuanced language of lack of effort," I wanted to start wailing, "You can't leave us, Jon!"

• Love 2

Jon's speech is why I hate that he's leaving.  I don't think there can be anyone to replace such blunt eloquence.

I have been thinking the same thing.  Can't we have some Jon Stewart version of the Bat-signal, to let us know we can tune in (or go online) and hear him weigh in with savage brilliance or trademark humor on major events? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Donald J. Trump. President of the mall.

Seems appropriate.  Trump and malls were big in the 80s and 90s but are now obsolete and will only regain their prominence again if some disaster happened (Amazon and Ebay vanishing overnight for the latter, and a government destroying alien invasion for the former).

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

With all do respect, that is not what Muslims around the world teach their girls. So, please don't generalize a whole religion on the basis of an opinion. Not every Muslim nation suppresses their women. I have been a Muslim woman my whole life and my mom's proudest moment was when I graduated from University. I was a first graduate not because I wasn't allowed to get educated but because there wasn't many opportunities available to both genders. 

It is the month of Ramadan and I really don't want to get into it more than I have to. I just wanted to say...don't generalize a whole religion without facts.

@Irisheyes, I am proud of that Somali girl you are talking about. I am from Somalia as well and getting educated is a huge part of our culture. I always love hearing young girls getting the education they need.

• Love 21
(edited)

Delurking:

Wow. As if his calling Donald Trump's running for President "comedy hospice" and his putting Rachel Dolezal on blast weren't reason enough to heart Jon Stewart, his comments about the Charleston massacre were magnificent. Stewart was on point from start to finish, exposing it for the brutal and senseless act of racist terrorism that it is. It was like Stewart read my mind, whether it's my heartbreak for the victims, my condolences for the families or my contempt/disgust for the perpetrator and what he stands for.

Stewart's reading the SC State legislature for filth for naming roads after confederate generals and flying the confederate flag at full staff despite what happened and doing so on the same show with Malala, who knows all too well what it's like to be hurt by hate, were the icing on the cake. I spelled "confederate" with a small "c" because I, a Black woman, don't think that it deserves the respect of proper spelling, for obvious reasons. That speech alone proves once again that Jon Stewart is a National treasure.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 20
American Presidents are term limited, and you can't run as a VP candidate if you aren't eligible to be Prez (since the main job of the VP is to take over if the Prez is incapacitated). So Bill Clinton can't run as a VP candidate. I suspect that if he could run, he would run for the top slot anyway-- and probably would win.

Whenever the extreme right conspiracy theorists start whining that President Obama is going to (somehow) remove term limits to go for a 3rd term*, I think that their real fear is that, without term limits, Bill would get right back in there, and pretty much end up POTUS for life. 

*And dear Lord, why would Pres. Obama even want 4 more years of the hell he's gone through? I'm guessing there are a whole bunch of people in Washington who he will be very happy to never see or speak to again come January 2017. 

• Love 6

So, Nikki Haley is finally calling for the removal of the Confederate flag from the capitol in SC. I think it's going to happen, but this needs to spread to the other southern states besides that one. All the focus has been on removing it in South Carolina only, but that thing needs to be taken down all over the South.

• Love 3

I believe SC is the last state that flies that flag in any sort of official, government-controlled or sponsored manner.  Yes, it appears all over, but it is primarily by private individuals/organizations.

Daily Kos says:

Seven other states—Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee—have Confederate symbolism woven into their state flag.

They are collecting signatures for a petition to go to all 7 state governors, asking them to remove the confederate flag and its symbolism from all state grounds.

I just rewatched the episode with segments on Trump and Pizza Hut's new hot dog, pizza.  Would'n't you know there was an ad for Pizza Hut than ran before the Pizza Hut segment.  Not an add for the hot dog pizza - but still.

(edited)

Mississippi has the confederate symbol in its state flag, however. Which is probably worse.

The SC legislature needs a 2/3 majority to take the flag down though iirc. So, sorry Mr. Huckabee if your feathers are ruffled, you're probably going to be asked the question nonstop, even though you might not think it's relevant to a presidential campaign. I can't imagine why I'd want people who think they're qualified to run this country to have an opinion on social issues. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1