Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/15/15

6/15: Judd Apatow (director & author – promoting book “Sick in the Head”)
6/16: Aziz Ansari (comedian & author – promoting book “Modern Romance”)
6/17: Bill Clinton (Former President, talking about the work of the Clinton Foundation)
6/18: TBA

Hmmm... two undecided guest slots. Beats me as to know what TDS is saving those for. As for Apatow, I thought he was appearing for early promotions of his latest Rom-com, "Trainwreck", since I'm seeing a lot of promotion for that movie around the net. I've just recently became an Amy Schumer fan, but to her credit, is the movie really good?

Lindsay Graham has announced that if he wins the White House, he would have a "rotating" first lady.

Mo Rocca had some tweets about this. "Lindsay Graham announces his engagement to his Lazy Susan." "First Lady Lazy Susan Lindsay announces initiative to end teenage vertigo."

• Love 1

I'd be willing to bet a good amount of money that Hillary will show up on TDS before Jon's retirement. I don't know if she's one of next week's TBAs, but I just can't imagine that she won't appear at some point this summer.

If you go to the official site, under the list of this week's guests, it lists all recent guests in reverse order, including the ones on this week. Next to Bill Clinton is Malala Yousafzai.

Amy Schumer would make sense, since she also has a CC show. But Inside Out opens next weekend, so maybe Amy Poehler?

Inside Out opens next weekend, so maybe Amy Poehler?

Amy Poehler has just arrived in Australia for the premiere of Inside Out, so probably not her - at least this week.

The best line of the night was Jessica's, though.  I just wish I could remember exactly how she phrased it.  Something about not needing one thing, but needing another.  I will have to go find the quote - it was wonderful!

(edited)

Al's making those gross 'love' faces with the Iowa dude made me laugh way more than is seemly.

I thought putting the Dolezal story under "Whaaaaaaat?!' was the right way to go. Not terribly important, but pretty damn weird.

Edited by attica

The best line of the night was Jessica's, though.  I just wish I could remember exactly how she phrased it.  Something about not needing one thing, but needing another.  I will have to go find the quote - it was wonderful!

I think she said "We need allies, not replacements."

• Love 2
(edited)

With Trump declaring I think they'll be able to see Jon's erection from the international space station.

How's that for a goodbye present, Stewbeef?

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

If you go to the official site, under the list of this week's guests, it lists all recent guests in reverse order, including the ones on this week. Next to Bill Clinton is Malala Yousafzai.

Yep:

6/18: Malala Yousafzai (Student, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and Co-Founder of Malala Fund – launching documentary “He Named Me Malala”)

• Love 2

I never got why Iowa was so important to be the first primary. It always smacked of 'this is something we do because this is how it's been done.' Which is the worst reason. Iowa and NH aren't even remotely representative of the entire nation. I wish a few candidates didn't even really bother.

Rotating the first caucus/primaries makes far far more sense. I could even buy that the first one should be a smaller state. But it's ridiculous.

• Love 1

Well that was different. I didn't expect Jon to get orgasmic right from the start and trying to contain it before presenting Donald Trump's ridiculous are-you-fucking-kidding-me announcement that he's running for president. The thing that stood out for me was Trump's use of Neil Young's Keep On Rockin' In The Free World, which was all about the decline of America in the late 80's. Which Young was none too pleased about Trump using without his permission. Oh yeah, Trump's campaign will be loads of fun.

If that pizza will kill Steve Doocy, then it will serve its purpose. But let's face it Jon. You're a philanderer when it comes to horribly created food. Remember Pancakes and Sausage on a Stick? Or Baconnaise? I'm surprised Jon has never mentioned Little Caesar's Bacon Wrapped Pizza.

• Love 2
Remember Pancakes and Sausage on a Stick? Or Baconnaise?
I was thinking the same thing! Pancakes and sausage on a stick. I think Jon sort of gave up on eating the disgusting stuff when Stephen started to do lots of that sort of thing on TCR. No need for both of them to get a volume discount on stomach pumpings.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah; she's not so much with the preaching/testifying. While watching it, I swear I could tell where she had marked up her pages to remind herself to emphasize a word, or to raise her voice, or to change her pitch, like singers mark up a score.

But credit where due, that speech was surprisingly chock full of lefty goodness, if inartfully delivered.

Edited by attica
  • Love 1

I've decided Aziz Ansari is just not a good interviewee.  I love his stand up and he was gold in "Parks and Recreation", but any time I've caught his appearances on talk shows, he's so...boring.

And thanks to Trump (and Pizza Hut) for giving the rest of the world MORE reasons to hate America. It's already been a painfully long "election season" with 17 months remaining, and Trump has made this shit show even more unbearable.

Hillary's riff on "Yesterday" was painful as well. I wish all eleventy-million 2016 Presidential candidates would just STOP with the attempts to be "clever" to get Likes and re-Tweets and make their YouTube followers increase.  Tell me in an honest, fact filled conversation how you plan to fix our economy, improve the quality of education and end hunger in the US, and I promise I will listen to what you have to say.  I still may not vote for you, but give me the tools to make an informed decision!

• Love 1

It's far far too early for the candidates to start laying out the policy wonking yet though. No one is going to remember in a year if Clinton gives a speech on immigration policy next week. They're really saving it for the debates. Which speaks more to the fact that we don't need 2 years for an election cycle when the rest of the world can do it in 6 weeks.

• Love 6

I kept waiting for Jon to bring up the new Carl's Jr hamburger with the potato chips and hot dogs stuffed into it. It is one revolting looking thing.

Could have done without the drawn-out Trumpgasm, but Jessica was gold, as always.

Jon saying this was his last six weeks hurt my heart. I've been kidding myself that August is a lot farther away than it really is.

• Love 2

I wondering what Trump meant by 'beating Japan'. Their economy isn't great and they're in dire need of this TPP deal to do through. Then again, I don't know why I'm thinking this through.

I thought the Trump-gasms were hysterical, and never in a million years would I have expected a triple-split screen of Jon, Jordan and Hasan all doing their best O-faces, only to be topped by Jessica doing an "I'm not really into it" fake-gasm. That was unexpected even for this show. 

Jon pleading with Arby's to forgive him was pretty funny too. 

• Love 2
I kept waiting for Jon to bring up the new Carl's Jr hamburger with the potato chips and hot dogs stuffed into it. It is one revolting looking thing.

Awlrighty, I just typed the words "Carl's Jr" into Google and am now going to see what the fuss is about with this new burger of theirs, la-la, la-la, la-la, la-la, la..........

17wj79.jpg

• Love 10

I've decided Aziz Ansari is just not a good interviewee.  I love his stand up and he was gold in "Parks and Recreation", but any time I've caught his appearances on talk shows, he's so...boring.

And thanks to Trump (and Pizza Hut) for giving the rest of the world MORE reasons to hate America. It's already been a painfully long "election season" with 17 months remaining, and Trump has made this shit show even more unbearable.

Hillary's riff on "Yesterday" was painful as well. I wish all eleventy-million 2016 Presidential candidates would just STOP with the attempts to be "clever" to get Likes and re-Tweets and make their YouTube followers increase.  Tell me in an honest, fact filled conversation how you plan to fix our economy, improve the quality of education and end hunger in the US, and I promise I will listen to what you have to say.  I still may not vote for you, but give me the tools to make an informed decision!

Bernie Sanders. You're welcome.

Those people who were cheering Donald Trump at his announcement yesterday were paid actors.

"We are looking to cast people for the event to wear t-shirts and carry signs and help cheer him in support of his announcement," reads the June 12 email, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. "We understand this is not a traditional 'background job,' but we believe acting comes in all forms and this is inclusive of that school of thought."
  • Love 5

I like that too, VtC.   If for no other reason, it would drive the mouthbreathers completely and totally nuts (yes, even more than they already are).

And in this case it would be absolutely true -- that we'd be getting the package deal of Hillary and Bill together.  But like you said, it won't happen.  Another one that probably won't happen, is I'd like to see her and Elizabeth Warren be the ticket.  Two women on the ticket definitely would up the historical significance of this election. 

But I'm sure that won't happen either.  Probably would think that America is barely ready for one female president, let alone 2 women heading up the ticket.

• Love 2

I'd like to see her and Elizabeth Warren be the ticket.  Two women on the ticket definitely would up the historical significance of this election.

My dream ticket.

And my favorite retort from Jessica the other night was something along the lines of, "So now you're Rosa Parks?"

• Love 2

I'm happy for Jon that he's excited about the impending new chapter in his life, but I wish he wouldn't be quite so openly gleeful about leaving in a few weeks. Some of us will be in mourning, Jon.

I don't know about any of you, but I think Hillary Clinton would do well to choose her husband Bill as her running mate (but won't for a whole lot of reasons).

I wonder if that's even possible. Say Bill was Veep - and something happened to Hillary. Could Bill be President again, having already served two terms?

I hate to say it but I grow increasingly bored whenever Jon interviews Bill Clinton because he's just there to promote some kind of cause or charity or whatever and Jon just lets him have the stage and it's very boring. I would have been much more interested in hearing his take on the Republican candidates (besides Trump) and talking about how it feels to have kind of switched places with Hillary now running.

(edited)

I'm not saying no glee. I'm happy for him, just not as happy as he, about his departure.

I wonder if that's even possible. Say Bill was Veep - and something happened to Hillary. Could Bill be President again, having already served two terms?

I think legally he could finish her term, he just couldn't run again. Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 1

Another one that probably won't happen, is I'd like to see her and Elizabeth Warren be the ticket.

Me too, with Warren as president.

Comedy hospice. Oh, Jon.

Hands down, my favorite part of the Trump segment.  (Jessica’s barely-trying fake orgasm was a close second.)

• Love 1

In the clip where the Congressman referred to Goebbels, I thought he meant gerbils. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, but my mind went to Rob Lowe.

Those people who were cheering Donald Trump at his announcement yesterday were paid actors.

Oh man, that's great. Reading that article I find that it's a common enough practice that it has a term, astroturfing. 

I just read a very long article on Trump from last year, 36 Hours On The Fake Campaign Trail With Donald Trump. It's pretty good.

Can someone please explain why Arby's hasn't sued TDS or Comedy Central for the continual bashing of their company. I have no use for Arby's but it can't be any worse than any of the other fast-food emporiums. So what's the story? 

I thought Arby's actually caters the show. I think that's the joke. I mean, he mentions them constantly.

I think their show is catered by 2nd Avenue Deli actually. It used to be at least. I can't see them going from that to Arby's though.