Type keyword(s) to search

Matt and Amy DIVORCE

• Start Topic

For me it was around season two. Season one I thought Matt was playing to the cameras for drama. By season two, I was like "oh, so he is THAT much of an asshole.

Now that he's all " I never felt comfortable in my own home"... I find myself wondering if he'll be retracting his many many statements on how stupid the viewers are to think he and Amy don't have a lovely marriage.

• Love 3

I actually doubt we'll see any episodes beyond the "Zach's wedding" stuff, but I will admit to being curious as to how the farm shakes out. I mean, Amy has a sentimental attachment to everything but Matt's entire world is "building stuff on the farm!" - I don't know that they could easily seperate the house from the business property

Amy studied hotel management in college and one episode focused on her interest in possibly turning the house into a B&B when the kids left home.  Matt arranged for her to spend time with a B&B owner; you could see Amy's interest dwindle as soon as she realized that running the B&B would require housekeeping skills.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There's no reason she couldn't have a p/t housekeeper.  And if she geared it to Little People I bet she'd do great if Matt would keep his nose out of it.

I actually wonder if her charitable organization might be where she focuses. I mean, she's actually done quite well with that - I tend to not compare charitable efforts because its kind of mean but Amy's ARCF seems to do a lot better than Matt's CODA organization.

From a practical standpoint, I can't see the big house on the farm realistically turned into a bed and breakfast because I don't know why anyone would want to stay there. Its outside of Hillsborough, and once you're past the pumpkin farm attractions, why would you go there?

• Love 1

Easier said than done.  There's no way I could continue living and working so closely to my ex, but maybe they will be different.  

My ex moved in with me for 2 years after we were divorced for 6 years.  No hanky-panky going on, separate lives, but we have always gotten along well.  We just weren't good married.  It takes certain type of person to be able to handle that type of arrangement.  I don't for 1 second think Amy and Matt are those kind of people.

I don't see either one of them being willing to give up half of the community property.  I think Amy will move on after the divorce and find herself a happy life.  Matt will just whine and complain.

What I find interesting although we know how it will shake out until it's done is how the farm, the punkin business, and the house will be seperated. Most of the "attractions" for the farm are on the origanal property - the whole pumpkin business and most of Matt's projects are on the origanal farm, not the land he's living on. I don't think he has a huge attachment to the house but I do think he has a huge attachment to his playground.

Amy on the other hand, strikes me as someone who could shit care less about the farm and its many playstations, but would want the house because she raised the kids there.

And in the fact that favored golden son Jeremy has made it clear he wants to raise his kids on the farm, and the show demands the backdrop of the playstations, and I wonder if things will be contentious. I do see there being problems with maintaining a business relationship

If I believe their facebooks - the pumpkin salsa is some sort of partnership between them.

Now granted, I think Matt and Amy's interest in farming is minimal beyond telling someone to go plow.

• Love 1

I hadn't watched the show for quite a while and am catching up on On Demand, and I'm remembering quite quickly how much I despise Matt, and what a colossal, narcissistic ass I think he is. Amy's not perfect, certainly, but she deserves better.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm sure Matt is seeing someone. No way can that man cope with being alone.

• Love 5
Matt was lucky to catch Amy.  Do you  really think anyone else will be that dumb?

I imagine there are some people who consider Matt a catch, if only for the notoriety. I don't agree. Yuck, but whatever.

I remember the little-person actor in the first season with whom Amy had a big-time flirtation. Maybe he'll come back.

Marty right? I always thought he was really obnoxious.

I can't imagine anyone more obnoxious than Matt.

I wonder how his parents are doing. We haven't seen them on the show in a while.

• Love 1

I don't like that commercial either, but maybe for different reasons.  It's all about the (as usual) self-centered Amy.  When she ends up with a grin and a little flirty, "What do I do now?" I usually think, "How about if you just give up your TV show and live quietly out of my line of vision?"

I stopped watching the show because of how unkind Amy was towards Matt.  Does he have his personality flaws?  Yep.  But if she asked him for a glass of water, he'd bring it to her, and then she would complain that the temperature wasn't right, she didn't like the glass it was in, it took too long to get to her, etc., etc., etc.

Were it not for Matt - with all his flaws - there would never have been the TV show, the farm, the big remodeled house (for her to keep her hoard of crap).  If I had to watch a TV show with just one of them, I'd pick Matt.  JMO.

• Love 12

I stopped watching the show because of how unkind Amy was towards Matt.  Does he have his personality flaws?  Yep.  But if she asked him for a glass of water, he'd bring it to her, and then she would complain that the temperature wasn't right, she didn't like the glass it was in, it took too long to get to her, etc., etc., etc.

Eh... I think Matt gives as good as he gets and more. Believe me, I don't assign Amy any sainthood in their marriage, but neither is Matt her much put upon victim who never says an unkind word. Matt's problem from the get go is that Matt wants his way and likes the camera far too much. I also think people tend to assign Matt the whole "Poor little Matt" role bec ause Matt never hesitates to let you know how disappointed and unhappy he is. If Matt's not happy with a situation, Matt sulks and puss faces and makes it eminently clear that he's not happy and he is wasting his precious time with your activity and his activities are always the most important. After a while having a husband that is an arrested five year old who is completely miserable unless he's allowed to do exactly as he pleases gets old.

I've never heard someone as hateful and unpleasant and as antifamily as Matt with his "I have no regrets for turning up late to my eldest sons high school graduation, waiting around is a waste of my time" and his "spending time with my family isn't a good use of my time" and "Maybe I should go to hawaii and you can call me when there's grandkids". Well, now Matt can be with his favorite person, himself.

• Love 10

If i were amy I would want the house or a VERY large compensation for it.  They built that thing together and was most likely her dream house. I remember the episodes of them building it. 

i think matt has said he has no ties to the farm but i don't see him giving it all up so easily

And I bet a lot of people would go there for a B&B.  It's a nice country setting.

I don't see Matt giving up anything easily.  And I'd bet that he had far more input than she did in the remodel.

I agree. However... I suspect if it does get ugly these two will alternate between crying for their privacy and cutting each other down in public by using their friends to snipe at each other.

I think Matt was trying to pull Amy into the position he wanted her to be in and it backfired. 

Not trying to be sarcastic but what do you mean? Do you mean he was trying to make her change or make her be the one to leave first?

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, as auntl posted above, it just breaks my heart to pieces seeing Amy cry in the upcoming preview - seriously.  She can be a real bitch and he can be a real asshole, so in the "checks 'n balances" department, I think they're about equal at fault for the crumbling marriage.  I honestly would love to see them work it out and stay together.  I think they need each other.

What can I say....I'm a sentimentalist. 

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 5

I like Amy much more than Matt...

Watching from season 1 SHE was the one at all the soccer games, running the kids all around, cooking meals and dealing with lazy kids (the parents fault, no doubt) but she did most of the physical work. Yes, I know Matt is physically challenged but he also came across as not as interested and well, kind of douche'y at times...and he spent money like crazy.

I do believe it take two to make and two to break it but Matt is a narcissist...it is always poor Matt...something you do not see from Amy.

• Love 6

I agree....in all the years I have watched Matt hasn't done a thing except piss and moan, spend money and use his disability as a crutch..all the while criticizing Amy for not doing enough...she WAS the parent..the cook, errand runner, chaperone etc....

Matt just concoted more ways to make things bigger (which is not a bad thing) but he was not nearly the parent that Amy was/is...she was hands on

And really? Have some of us not had teenagers who will not clean up after themselves? my son is 27 and I harped on him like crazy because he was a slob...thankfully he has outgrown that but she had 4 slobs with no help from her husband.

• Love 5

I think for many years one of Matt's techniques to get hi own way was "I'll leave" and Amy not wanting to break up the family would go along.  This time Amy said "Go, Jake's old enough to understand". So now Matt needs to make Amy the evil one that gave up on their sacred vows.

Unfortunately for Matt, this is a situation that he allowed to be filmed so it's going to be difficult to backpeddle how he left the marital home when he's on camera saying just that.

I sometimes wonder if Amy actually watched the show and realized that Matt really doesn't think much of her.

And yes, I suspect and agree that his go to threat for years has been "I'll leave" and it finally backfired. I also suspect he was waiting for Amy to walk over to his double wide and ask him back... and she never did.

• Love 4

Personally I think Amy is too attached to the house for this to work, but if she was smart, she would let Matt have the farm, take a large cash settlement and then wait and see how long before he's bankrupt.

Ispansy - Matt's relationship with alcohol appears to be an intriguing one.

• Love 3

To my way of thinking, there's no reason there should be any concern about splitting the farm four ways at this point. If Matt and Amy decide to sell, it will be split between the two of them. The kids have no viable interest in the property until both parents are dead.

• Love 2

And I bet a lot of people would go there for a B&B.  It's a nice country setting.

I think Amy could run it as a retreat space for small groups.  Writers groups, work groups, artists, etc.  Of course, she would have to hire housekeeping help.

I'm another one who thinks that Amy watched the show and saw how Matt talks about her behind her back.  It couldn't have helped the situation.  She would talk about Matt, too, but she would at least try to be tactful most of the time.  Matt is a bully in a small body.

• Love 6

I was frequently shocked by Matt's hay bale talks where he frankly admitted that he was only interested in getting his own way.  On that episode about Zach's upcoming wedding where all Matt could do was whine about he wasn't getting anything he wanted, I kept saying it isn't your wedding.  Shut up, Matt.  For most people it would only have taken one round of seeing what he really thought to either haul him to counseling or give up and divorce the arrogant tool. 

• Love 2

I wish Amy would forget about sentimentality and memories of the farm (she has plenty of pictures to remember it by) and force Matt to sell so she can take half the money and travel around the world.  He keeps saying it's the kids' legacy, but it is nothing more than his own personal playground, and will be until the day he dies.  Then the kids will probably sell it anyways, since I doubt they'll want to "work" it themselves.

• Love 4

I wonder if that's why Matt has such huge dreams of Jeremy taking over the farm.  Maybe he wants to give to Jeremy instead of having to pay Amy for her share. 

I can't imagine Amy would want to live there alone for much longer.  Or maybe since housekeeping is low on her list of her priorities she doesn't care how much upkeep it will take.

• Love 2

I hate when I hear all the talk about Jer getting the farm. THERE ARE 4 KIDS IN THIS FAMILY. It SHOULD be split 4 ways normally, but the favorites of a lot of families end up with more. There are 3 kids in my family but my dad informed me and my bro that the inheritance will be split 5 ways because my sis gave my parents two grandkids and me and bro gave them zero. My dh and I dont need the $ but it sure makes you feel unimportant when these type of decisions have to be made. Me and hubby bought our family business and paid good price. No special deal was made because we are family. My sis married a complete bum who hasnt had a job in years and my folk help support them. I think it embarrasses my sis but she still excepts the help.

Sorry about the tangent, it just gets under my craw sometimes.

Edited by raiderred1
  • Love 7

Raiderred, that's all kinds of messed up. I would be upset too. It should be up to your sister to kick some $$$ down to her kids from her own share. There's three in my family too and mother's estate will be divided three ways, regardless of the fact that my brother has no kids and me and my sis have 4 each. 

• Love 2

Raiderred, that's all kinds of messed up. I would be upset too. It should be up to your sister to kick some $$$ down to her kids from her own share. There's three in my family too and mother's estate will be divided three ways, regardless of the fact that my brother has no kids and me and my sis have 4 each. 

Yeah, it's messed up but hey, what can you do? Me and my DH have a great life despite it. And we help my two nieces out a lot because we like spoiling them. 

• Love 1

I don't blame Amy and Matt for divorcing as they really don't seem to like each other and bicker over really silly things.  I sincerely doubt either could afford to buy the other one out at this point and it's ideal that the property is large enough that they don't have to see one another if they don't want to. I like Amy and am not a fan of Matt. I feel sad for her because I don't think she envisioned divorce in her lifetime. I also think it will be difficult for her adjusting to all of the children leaving the home one after another. I think she stayed with Matt for the kids and now that the youngest one is an adult, Amy is done. I get it.

• Love 2

It seems like Amy has been trying to 'find' herself for awhile now. There was a show a couple of years ago where she was renting out a restaurant and doing all the cooking for an evening. My impression was that she was hoping it would be a regular thing but nothing seemed to come of it. I think it was even before that when she taught a course at a school but that didn't seem to last past one semester.I hope she finds something she is passionate about and is able to look at her new found freedom as a blessing rather than a curse. She really does seem lost at the moment, while Matt carries blithely along.

• Love 3

She really does seem lost at the moment, while Matt carries blithely along.

Yeah.  The reality is that very little about Matt's life has changed.  He still has his true love, the farm, which is essentially his career.  That takes up as much of his time as it ever did, and now maybe even more now that he doesn't have any kids around to help him with anything.  He was never a part of running the house, and he never seemed more than peripherally involved with raising the kids, so them all being gone won't have the impact on him it will have on Amy.

But for her .... she suddenly Amy has an actual empty nest (as opposed to the empty nest she thought she had while Jacob was still at home, ugh).  She now has no kids to chaise after, no big meals to prepare. No piles of laundry to do, less to clean up (to the extent she ever actually cleaned at all, ha).  The biggest thing is simply not having the company of any of her children any more, and all the energy she put into caring and interacting with them on a daily basis is suddenly just .... unused.  It looks like "total freedom" to an outsider, but when you are going through it, it can feel a lot more like just being adrift with no idea where to go. 

I have to lol because it occurs to me that I am probably projecting a little bit because my daughter just moved out, and maybe Amy was not quite as involved with her kids as I was mine, thus her experience is not quite the same.  But still, I imagine it is quite a change for her.  But for Matt, not so much.  

Are they still going to be doing this show?  Any word yet?

• Love 5

Wasn't Amy a stay at home mom?? One would assume she was very involved in their lives.  She's never seemed the type to me to just sit around and be lazy at home. 

Of course kids who grow up on a farm tend to get freedom much earlier than kids who do not.  You get a drivers license a little bit earlier (at least you used to) so she maybe wasn't needed much after a certain point.

• Love 1

I'm such a nosy parker..I want to know HOW the farm was split! 

Who got the main house, who got the different  parts with the "attractions", the peach trees  (if they still exist), the places where the pumpkins are grown..the forest part nobody wants to ever knock down?

(just me?) ;-)