Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed last night's "Casserole" (Casse Rolle) segment. Pretty much all of it was funny to me. I have started to FF a lot of the interviews and sketches, but I gave this one a try and it worked for me. He tucked it away near the end of the show, so I wonder if a lot of people missed it. I hope not.

Okay, I have a really stupid question to ask. When Seth was showing that clip of 45 talking to the new FBI recruits, and he was insulting them (that's how it came off to me), were they actually laughing, clapping and agreeing with him? or was that Seth's audience who was laughing? Or that the recruits had no idea how the "loaning" of military weapons of war to local law enforcement is a bad idea, but they, from their laughter and clapping, seemed to agree with him? 

I'm not being sarcastic; I'm honestly confused.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, I have a really stupid question to ask. When Seth was showing that clip of 45 talking to the new FBI recruits, and he was insulting them (that's how it came off to me), were they actually laughing, clapping and agreeing with him? or was that Seth's audience who was laughing? Or that the recruits had no idea how the "loaning" of military weapons of war to local law enforcement is a bad idea, but they, from their laughter and clapping, seemed to agree with him? 

I wondered the same thing, so count me in as "confused".

13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I read somewhere (sorry I don't remember exactly or I'd provide a link) that Trump brought along, as he always does, a large crew of toadies and hangers-on and syncopates and they were the ones hooting and hollering. The families of the recruits, for whom the ceremony was supposed to be all about, apparently weren't thrilled with how it all went.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, shok said:

I read somewhere (sorry I don't remember exactly or I'd provide a link) that Trump brought along, as he always does, a large crew of toadies and hangers-on and syncopates and they were the ones hooting and hollering. The families of the recruits, for whom the ceremony was supposed to be all about, apparently weren't thrilled with how it all went.

That makes more sense. And typical.?

• Love 6

I found Seth's drink making segment with Martha Stewart surprisingly entertaining. It seems like they know each other from before the show, they had a very comfortable rapport. I loved all his little potshots at her and how she giggled at all of them. I did feel slightly bad for the drink-making guy because their responses didn't make his drinks seem all that appetizing. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I did feel slightly bad for the drink-making guy because their responses didn't make his drinks seem all that appetizing. 

I've never wanted to taste something on TV more than that cocktail! Would I like a concoction of raw egg, marshmallow fluff and a cup of sugar? Jebus. I couldn't believe how many steps there were to make it.

The mixologist seemed annoyed about his shoes getting splashed on. Poor chefs who go on late night always get teased and undermined by the hosts. Fun for me as a viewer.

I wish James Franco had just cancelled. He's had a couple of days now to huddle with his press people or whatever. But this was just awkward as hell. I actually cringed when Seth asked if he had reached out to Ally Sheedy, and he shook his head like "oh hell no".  At least say I'm trying to or will be shortly.

He was on a glide path to a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and I feel like that's why he's keeping up his scheduled appearances. He really wants it.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disgusted and horrified by the Franco appearance. I came away thinking much worse of him than before the interview. He so clearly doesn't give a shit, and is so full of himself it's nauseating.

They should have Ally Sheedy on.

• Love 3
On 1/11/2018 at 5:25 AM, vb68 said:

I wish James Franco had just cancelled. He's had a couple of days now to huddle with his press people or whatever. But this was just awkward as hell. I actually cringed when Seth asked if he had reached out to Ally Sheedy, and he shook his head like "oh hell no".  At least say I'm trying to or will be shortly.

He was on a glide path to a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and I feel like that's why he's keeping up his scheduled appearances. He really wants it.

Is the accused "reaching out" to the accuser actually something we want to happen? Unless that's "reaching out" by arranging communication through your lawyers and/or other representatives in public spaces, that seems like a terrible precedent to set.

2 hours ago, dusang said:

Is the accused "reaching out" to the accuser actually something we want to happen? Unless that's "reaching out" by arranging communication through your lawyers and/or other representatives in public spaces, that seems like a terrible precedent to set.

Well, I just took that as Seth trying to get Franco to own it in any way. James kept saying he had a great time with Ally(whatever that was suppose to imply), well then have you reached out to her? 

I thought Seth did a good job in pushing it enough without Franco getting up and walking out.

Edited by vb68

Franco spelled it out: He was shocked, but she took the tweet down, so he's going to forget about it.

All he cares about is his ego. He's not curious what made her say it. He's just glad she took it down and he's hoping it goes away. He's acting like he's the injured party, and being magnanimous to "let it go." He does not plan to reflect on his actions or her statement, he just wants to promote himself and pretend it never happened.

• Love 3

Wednesday 1/31/18 show. 

Good, hard hitting/funny stuff at the top followed by a couple of actor guests who made me think:  "Seth's going to go home and tell his wife he had to talk to tree stumps."  And then Maggie Haberman showed up.  So good I rewound and watched it again.  Having known and reported on Trmp and politics for so long, she had such interesting insights--which she presented in a lucid, cogent, effective manner.

Maybe Meyers isn't the best interviewer in the world, but Bill Maher could take a lesson on asking a question and then getting out of the way.

• Love 4

I absolutely LOVE John Mulaney and his visit with Seth made me smile from beginning to end.  I was thrilled when John's "Kid Gorgeous" tour brought him to Nashville and I was able to see him in person.  He puts on quite the show and if you ever get a chance to see him live, do it.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I laughed for the entire 2 hours he was on stage.  I wish he was on more talk shows.

• Love 4

Love John Mullaney,too!  As Slasherboy said, I,too saw "Kid Gorgeous" and I honestly don't remember laughing as hard for any other stand up. The stuff he was doing with Seth was all fresh so he doesn't keep repeating old bits.

• Love 3

Typically "A closer look" is about the story of the day and "check in" is broader stories but currently because it's all Trump scandals all the time there is a lot of overlap.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Can't wait for the next baby. I'm guessing tornado or fire in the hospital?

Seriously, congratulations Seth and Alexi.

Edited by opus
  • Love 7

I loved Amber's Paul Ryan retirement song and I love Amber and I'm afraid her popularity means she's going to strike out on her own and leave the show pretty soon.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 7
On 4/12/2018 at 12:20 PM, 2727 said:

I loved Amber's Paul Ryan retirement song and I love Amber and I'm afraid her popularity means she's going to strike out on her own and leave the show pretty soon.

I recently saw Michelle Wolf on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and I could see Amber being the next to leave.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, opus said:

I recently saw Michelle Wolf on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and I could see Amber being the next to leave.

It's already been announced that she has a development deal at NBC the first offer is a pilot based on her life coproduced by Seth and Lorne.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It's already been announced that she has a development deal at NBC the first offer is a pilot based on her life coproduced by Seth and Lorne.

Hm. Amber's also co-writing it; sounds like it might actually be good: "Going Dutch is based on Ruffin’s life. It explores what happens when a woman who moves abroad to escape her overbearing family and the responsibility of the family business returns home with her Dutch boyfriend. He is a renaissance man whose blunt, outsider perspective might be exactly what Amber, her family and their business needs."

But criminy, how many shows can Seth exec produce? The Munsters, AP Bio, Documentary Now, and this.

• Love 3

Saw Kathy Griffin last night, and just as people on the View forum said, I found her extremely hyper and manic. I’m happy that her career is getting back on track but she may have to chill a bit or people won’t book her. Seth had a hard time getting a word in.

• Love 3

Kathy Griffin has always been the bargain basement version of Joan Rivers, with illusions of doing the same thing, but with 10% of the talent.

It was outrageous the furor over the Trump head thing, but that doesn't mean it was ever all that funny. Not because it was offensive or "out of bounds" but just because it plain wasn't funny.

This is who Kathy Griffin has always been. Underwhelming. Annoying, but without the charm to make it work. 

• Love 3

I love Amber Ruffin. I'm glad they are giving her more and more airtime and letting her do direct commentary, like Seth does, and not just use her for "bits". Her comedy is funny, but I like that she's able to just flat out kick BS in the teeth without any apologies or softening around it. I'd like to see her and Sam Bee have a collaborative rage off sometime. It would burn BS to the ground.

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'd like to see her and Sam Bee have a collaborative rage off sometime. It would burn BS to the ground.

Threesome with Michelle Wolf!

• Love 6

Have we really gotten to a place where Seth has to explain why there are no Trump jokes in the monologue? Yeesh.

The big news for me is that the first few minutes of him at the desk is considered to be the monologue. As opposed to the next 15 minutes of him sitting at the desk, I guess.

Dang, nothing here since June?

Okay, in the popsicle schtick recurring bit, I was trying to figure out if Seth does or does not know in advance what the graphics are gonna be.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, opus said:

Okay, in the popsicle schtick recurring bit, I was trying to figure out if Seth does or does not know in advance what the graphics are gonna be.

The show has rehearsals and Seth has to manage the time clock for each segment, so he must know. He does a great job acting exasperated, though!

I don't know if it was to reduce his speaking time because of his laryngitis, but I was grateful that there wasn't an extended political piece. A Closer Look used to be one of my favorite bits, but that's when it was only one a few times a month.

I love Seth but the daily Trump shit is just getting to be too much of a mental beatdown for me. I already dropped Colbert, Bee, Wolf, and Oliver. Meyers and Noah may be next and then I'll be out of the political satire game entirely. Or else lean really hard on the fast-forward button, but I'm generally only interested in maybe 2 out of 10 guests as it is.

SAD!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1

I figured Seth’s laryngitis was why there were more non Seth bits this week.  I’m not a fan of Tiny Voice, but I do like Jokes Seth can’t tell.

i agree there’s a lot of political satire out there, I usually watch in bursts then break with something else.

i watch maybe one guest a week.  I really don’t care what actors and actresses have to say 90% of the time.

• Love 4

I've been enjoying this show in podcast form.  They usually put up the Closer Look (or whatever the bit after the monologue is), then one of the guest interviews.  After that, a staff person does an "in-depth"  piece with that guest that's podcast-only material.  So if I fall asleep before the actual show is on, I can listen at work.  Very thoughtful of them! 

Also, they've sent out a few podcasts called "Midterm Cram" which consisted of a couple of staffers and an political guest trying to make sense of the senseless world we're in at the moment.  I enjoyed those. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I figured Seth’s laryngitis was why there were more non Seth bits this week.

On the one hand, I'm sorry it was painful/difficult for him to talk. On the other hand, I found his Seth-with-a-cold voice very sexy. *conflicted*

• Love 4

The Tiny Voice in the Back blah blah blah...  They don't seem to have a point and the level of humor is low to the point of not existing. All of the other recurring segments are fine by me but this one is tedious and I fast forward every time.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ahisma said:

On the one hand, I'm sorry it was painful/difficult for him to talk. On the other hand, I found his Seth-with-a-cold voice very sexy. *conflicted*

I have responses to that, but due to me being a straight white male would be difficult for me to say :)

1 hour ago, ABay said:

The Tiny Voice in the Back blah blah blah...  They don't seem to have a point and the level of humor is low to the point of not existing. All of the other recurring segments are fine by me but this one is tedious and I fast forward every time.

I didn't like them at first, but have started to. Besides, they're only a minute or two long, so I really don't have time to get bored.

• Love 2