Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/30/2016 at 2:55 AM, SpikeGal said:

I'm not. I wanna see late night talk shows to relax and unwind before going to bed. Especially if I've had a super busy day at work. I wanna forget my problems and have some unbiased laughs! That's why I hardly ever watch Seth anymore. Onl;y when he has some stuff I like on like Ven Diagrams and Ya Burnt. But those are becoming few and far between.

I heard that Noah is doing such a bad job on The Daily Show that Comedy Central is considering canning him next year. Maybe this is a good time for Seth to put in his resume? I think he WOULD be better off on The Daily Show.

So you fit a Jimmy Fallon viewer profile rather than a Seth Meyers viewer profile?

There is room for both, I love both Fallon and Seth. Once the election is over, Seth will go back to the Venn Diagrams and Ya Burnt more often. He can't help but comment on the election though, it began on SNL with some killer 2008 election stuff that he wrote and continued with his skewering of Trump at the Correspondents' dinner a couple of years ago.

There was another fun cooking segment the other night, you didn't enjoy that?

• Love 2
On 10/29/2016 at 6:24 PM, cpcathy said:

Once the election is over, Seth will go back to the Venn Diagrams and Ya Burnt more often.

From your mouth to God's ears! (Not that I don't like those segments, but I'm burnt.)

I saw an online interview with Seth recently and he was asked about being a political comedian. He said he didn't consider himself one, but that he does discuss current events.

Edited by lordonia

I was curious if Seth's sharp campaign coverage has resulted in increased ratings, but I got tired of looking for year-to-year ratings. The NBC juggernaut of Tonight Show and Seth regularly beat their time slot competitors, so that's good. I didn't think he was in any danger, but I'd be unhappy if he was replaced for some reason.

Last month from Variety: "Meyers, recently bested even Colbert and Kimmel thanks to his lead-in and (perhaps) his status as the lone broadcaster focusing on politics, averaged a 0.45 rating among adults 18-49 for the last year. Cordon averaged a 0.32 rating."

• Love 2
On 10/29/2016 at 6:24 PM, cpcathy said:

Once the election is over, Seth will go back to the Venn Diagrams and Ya Burnt more often.

On 10/29/2016 at 6:40 PM, lordonia said:

From your mouth to God's ears! (Not that I don't like those segments, but I'm burnt.)

I agree. Unfortunately it's not just the election and the wealth of material it provides it's that late night shows are increasingly judged on internet views. Have you seen any PTV featured stories on Venn Diagrams? For a weekly show it's relatively easy to consistently produce viral content as well as a good viewing experience for the television audience. For a daily show it's tougher. You run the risk of overexposure and becoming repetitive for the audience that watches on a regular basis. So I hope for more variety, but I'm not so sure it's going to happen.

I really wanted Seth to ask George about the difference between when he was part of Clinton's campaign (his memories of Hillary specifically), since I know he is no longer...fond of Bill Clinton.

If he hadn't wasted so much time on that Pee sketch, maybe he might have?

That aside, I love Seth and I continue to ???at those that accuse him of not being "fair and balanced" when he's skewering the Orangutan. Not anyone here, but on social media. Do they not understand he's not a journalist, but a comedian, and that it's not HIS job to be...fair? Plus, that tangerine ? tinted piece of shite is the gift ? that keeps on giving. Not to mention I love ❤️ how Seth shows the false equivalency between the two.

• Love 5

Thanks to Amber and Seth for that segment. I do feel like I'm part of a persecuted group for the first time. I'VE JOINED THE FUN!!

Lester Holt can bite me about being "really proud" of the news team. Screw you!

Edited by lordonia

I was appreciative before but now am also inspired by Seth's integrity and resolve. He could have easily been just another Fallon or Colbert or SNL and tried to book Trump for ratings or played up to him to appease NBC and sponsors, but he refused -- most likely to his personal detriment (online haters) and also putting the show's ratings in jeopardy.

He continued to be one of the leading late night voices calling out Trump again and again and again and holding his orangey feet to the fire. Thank you, Seth, truly.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 17

I'm still thinking about Seth getting choked up about Hillary's loss. I'll never not love him for that.

I don't understand doggie pee pads, though. Don't people in NY walk their dogs? Any why close their bedroom door if Seth or Alexi then has to get up and let Frisbee out at 2 am?

• Love 3

Not that she has any obligation to do so, but it was obvious Gayle has never watched Late Night since she was taken aback by Seth's Closer Look piece. That stuck in my craw a bit only because she's supposedly such a "friend of the show."

Seth tried but it didn't seem like he got through to Gayle at all. She was spouting Oprah's bullshit privilege about needing to work with Trump and give him a chance. Everyone is already giving him a damned chance! We have no choice in that.

Seth was questioning why the media has to somehow "work together" with the new administration when their only job is to report the news. Why would any journalists accept that they somehow have to make nice or kowtow in order to do their jobs?

Gayle being convinced that Trump's "dishonest media" crap had nothing to do with CBS? Sigh. Just because he hasn't singled her show out by name means nothing.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6

I look forward to Seth's family show on Thanksgiving every year--his dad has his same sense of humor and you can tell that Seth, his brother, and his dad have spent their lives making their mom laugh.

Edited by car54
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, car54 said:

I look forward to Seth's family show on Thanksgiving every year--his dad has his same sense of humor and you can tell that Seth, his brother, and his dad have spent their lives making their mom laugh.

I look forward to it, too.  They seem like such a loving family and I love the way they tease each other.

• Love 1

I didn't understand the words Seth's family has for stuff ... banana, elephant and dinner (dinquoa?) and the only nicknames I understood that they have for each other flew by me too, except Josh is Posh and Mother Hillary is Hurry.  Anybody understood their words?  

I love this family.  Their closeness is enviable and their Thanksgiving show is always so much fun ... for us and for them!

• Love 1

I like that Seth includes his in-laws in the mocking, and the writer guy on the side telling Seth he's way too close with his family. I was also happy to have another of Seth's obscenity-laden tirades.

Amber looked really nice all dolled up with the game show answer cards!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I missed the first Thanksgiving show, and I'm so sorry, but I thoroughly enjoyed this year's and last year's. Amber was hilarious as Classandra, (sp?) plus she looked like she was having fun.

How adorable was that video of Ash and Frisbee?!?!! Well, mostly Ash. Cutest turkey in the universe!

9 minutes ago, Kindred Spirit said:

How adorable was that video of Ash and Frisbee?!?!! Well, mostly Ash. Cutest turkey in the universe!

Super adorable!

"Ashe can't be here because it's past his bedtime. Frisbee can't be here because she's ... afraid of everyone and everything."

• Love 1
17 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I didn't understand the words Seth's family has for stuff ... banana, elephant and dinner (dinquoa?) and the only nicknames I understood that they have for each other flew by me too, except Josh is Posh and Mother Hillary is Hurry.  Anybody understood their words?  

I love this family.  Their closeness is enviable and their Thanksgiving show is always so much fun ... for us and for them!

I couldn't catch what "elephants" were for the life of me, but bananas were "binnys" and dinner was "dinoire" (rhyming with 'armoire'). I think his dad's nickname was Yuri, but Seth's I've already forgotten. 

That tirade damn near killed me, especially once his family got in there. I completely lost it at "I'll give my love to the one that wins".  

• Love 1

Seth is Soufee. My favorite interaction between the brothers was when Josh once mentioned a note Seth wrote him, in thanks for being on the show--"Poshee, you're my nommers--Soufee."

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 3

The last I checked, Seth's ratings have remained fairly static but I hope he gets a boost from some of these positive reviews.

What I think deserves mention is that NBC has allowed him to do this, seemingly with little or no interference. I've become so reliant on Seth that my appreciation goes out to NBC. I dropped them an email to say that.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

What was up with Seth's joking remark that he cost Hillary the election? Is there an actual theory somewhere that his segments against Trump actually alienated people so much that they voted against Hillary in retaliation? REALLY?!*

* With Seth and Amy.

• Love 1

I loved Taraji's acting challenge. She had to work for that!

It's good that Seth addressed some of the Carrier fallacies and exaggerations, but I haven't seen anyone drill down to basics and simply point out that Trump has no authority to give State tax breaks to anyone! Pence doesn't either, without legislative approval. According to Politico, the incentives are being given through "the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, a quasi-public entity that doesn't require legislative approval for its deals."

Seth also didn't mention the problems with financial incentives, which even goofnut Sarah Palin slammed.

Now, Seth isn't a pundit, fact-checker or party mouthpiece and only has a certain amount of time for the desk pieces. Neither do I expect him to adhere to journalistic ethics in humor segments. That said, if he's going to continue going after political targets, I wish some Closer Looks were more than surface skims.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

It doesn't seem like the Critics' Choice Awards are very well regarded -- nobody even bothered creating a topic for Sunday's show here -- but this still chafed me:

BEST TALK SHOW
“Full Frontal with Samantha Bee” (TBS)
“Jimmy Kimmel Live! ” (ABC)
“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” (HBO)
“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” (Comedy Central)
“The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS) — WINNER
“The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC)

Seth not even nominated and the prize goes to Corden of all people?? There are only 70 critics in the TV group and apparently about 15% quit recently because of disagreements with the organization's ethics, but the remainder can bite me. I smell payoffs.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Vulture followed Seth and Late Night as they write the A Closer Look segments.  I found this fascinating and shows how much work really goes into it; the article is great.

Thanks for sharing! It's incredible that one writer is doing so much of the work for the Closer Look pieces.

This part about the current state of political misinformation made me chuckle, in a dry-heaving sort of way: "Meyers points out that, ironically, 'fake news' used to mean shows like The Daily Show, which was specifically trying to parody televised news."

I went back and watched the monologue for the episode covered in the article, keeping the background info in mind.  I actually remembered the Hot Pocket joke from the first time around: "Don't cut that one!"

• Love 2

From the Vulture article:

Baze asks, "Do we want any addressing of the theory that Hamilton was an intentional distraction from the fraud suit?" Gentile perks up, saying it's an "interesting debate," but he's not sure if there is enough reporting to say if "he's such a genius at baiting the media or just an unhinged, crazy person."

Isn't that the interesting debate.  Do we admit that Trump is smart and/or media savvy to come up with these distractions, or just stick to the contention that he's a whackadoo nut-job at just the right time?

• Love 2

Either way, the trick is to out maneuver him but carving a space in the "conversation" to actually report on things his tantrums would otherwise distract us from. Just saying: "He did another crazy, distracting thing! Look how crazy it is!!" is getting us nowhere. I'd like to see Seth start focusing on that, instead of just rehashing the BS. I think by now we've had the BS exposed enough, and it's only feeding the problem to continue to only react to the crazy. We need to subvert it by not taking the bait every time. It's much harder to do, but at some point, if we don't do it, we're just drowning in place.

• Love 2

I'm usually against corporal punishment but think Seth and the show deserve a bit of a spanking for that lackluster New Year's Eve show. It would have been meh for a regular Tuesday, much less a special show on a special night and time intended to bring in viewers who might not otherwise watch.

Did Seth seem nervous? I dislike forced, fake laughter among all late night hosts, and Seth was more manic than usual. A guest saying hello is not funny, so quit it with the constant, braying laugh already.

• Love 2

I fell asleep and didn't watch. It's on my DVR but maybe I won't bother if it was really that bad. Was it just like a regular episode, or did they change the format at all? I have the idea that Seth is super-uncomfortable doing anything that's not behind the desk.

I mostly enjoyed the show.  I love Jennifer Lawrence and Leslie Jones.  I liked the drinks served for each of them.  I thought Kelly Clarkson's number from the Hamilton Mixtape was wonderful.  Still trying to decide whether to buy the album.  The Closer Look segment was fine.  

I wasn't fond of the Ahnold piece.  In fact, I didn't even recognize him and couldn't figure out what was going on for a moment. 

I admit that the show was mostly on as background noise, but I did actually pay attention to some of it.  It was way better than most of the stuff that's on on NYE. 

Did I hear Seth and Jennifer say something about it was okay to drink on the show on NYE and not on a random Monday afternoon?  I had the thought that they taped the show last Monday afternoon... 

Seth brought wine for Jennifer another time she was on the show, it must be an in joke. They get along, as do he and Leslie which might account for the random laughter and looseness. I do think their interviews were previously taped and then told to act like it was NYE. 

I find now I don't care for Kelly's version of It's Quiet Uptown. It weirsds me out that she takes all the Hamilton references out of the song. We all know the song is from Hamilton, sing the Hamilton references!

It was underwhelming to watch this on New Years Eve. There was no effort what-so-ever to make this feel like it was any different than any other episode . I was wondering if Seth's name was picked out of a hat and he was told he had New Year's Eve whether he wanted it or not.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 1

He released a short snippet on the show's Facebook page; apparently, they taped late enough that he was able to ask her about the further Trump/Russia reports that came out today.  It's a very short clip (under 2 minutes long), but from the short bit, he definitely stands his ground, and called her out on a lie and presented her with the facts immediately. 

I trust Seth will do a good job, but I don't know if I'll be able to watch. In that short clip, I damn near flew into a rage, because Kellyanne Conway referred to President Obama as "Mr. Obama"

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I trust Seth will do a good job, but I don't know if I'll be able to watch. In that short clip, I damn near flew into a rage, because Kellyanne Conway referred to President Obama as "Mr. Obama"

Conway? Yeah, no. I hope others here have better character than me and can report, but I will not be able to watch that.

I've already had to take the day to recover from Van Jones and his ridiculous statement (gone unchecked by Seth) that some people voted for Trump because they're resentful of Democrat "elitism." So that means they voted for a New York billionaire who's been rich and pampered his entire life? Go fuck yourself, Van.

I'm sick of everybody and their dog trying to explain the election and point fingers in hindsight.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

I'm not familiar with Retta but the day drinking segment with her and Seth was awesome. I might be in love with her now. I wonder if Seth taped a show later -- that Walking Dead cocktail was a killer.

Now I want Seth and Fred Armisen to start a regular musical improv bit with reimagined TV theme songs.

• Love 1

TIMELESS did an episode about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. The time travellers went right into the theater and Lucy sat right next to him. So Seth was right and Retta was wrong. It was driving me crazy. Just had to get that off my chest!

• Love 2