Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So are we seeing the effects of James Corden?

One of my main complaints about Seth is that he never ventures outside.

Neither does Jimmy Fallon, but Fallon does his show Monday through Friday, unlike every other late-night show, including Letterman.

Meyers should be using his days off to do remotes, or something special.

So, in Meyers' first 13-14 months, I've counted two times he ventured outside. (There could be more. I could be wrong.

1. For a skit with Lester Holt.

2. For a visit to the toy fair.

In the past 2 nights, Set has ventured outside twice -- equaling his sum total from his first year.

1. For a visit to the auto show with his dad-in-law.

2. For a visit to Yankee Stadium.

I wonder if this is due to Corden. Or is it just a coincidence?

I don't typically watch Seth unless he had a guest I particularly like, but I caught a repeat of the show with Jerry Seinfeld and David Remnick of The New Yorker, and it was fabulous! The tone was mostly set by Jerry taking his segment in an interesting direction, along with the interplay between him and David Remnick, but Seth was not only able to contribute, he also kept the conversation flowing in an organic and enjoyable way. I was impressed.

I haven't seen that much lack of funny packed into one show since Neil Patrick Harris hosted the Oscars. Seth clearly thinks that everything Rudd, Pell, and Anderson do is hilarious, and he is so, so wrong.

• Love 1
Format change. Stand up opening monologue, out. Sit down news/ opening monologue, in.

This happened the first new episode after Jon Stewart left The Daily Show. Coincidence? 

He is straight up doing Weekend Update as his monologue now, which is what he wanted to do all along.

While I do think this format suits him better and as a viewer there's nothing to complain about, one has to wonder what SNL WU guys are supposed to do now.

Edited by sum

Especially since Colin Jost has been compared to Seth since his first episode of WU, now they have the same setup and material. Except Seth gets to do it the day the news breaks. Jost and Che will always be a week late. 

• Love 1

Exactly. Unless they can offer a really fresh take on the same material, practically things that happen after Seth's Thursday taping would be left for them. And it's not like last season's WUs were full of great jokes to begin with... Then again Lorne must have approved this move. Curious to see how they deal with the new challenge.

So I guess the show is now airing new episodes on Fridays now. I wonder why the change?

Looks like they'll return to the Friday rerun next week. I was wondering what was up with that.

Last Friday, all the shows that don't do Fridays (Kimmel, Meyers, Corden) all did Friday shows. That might've been because it was a shortened Labor Day week, but I don't recall that happening before.

(I hate Friday shows because Friday nights are the weekend, and it makes it feel like we're still in the week...I'd rather not watch Colbert's interview with Bernie Sanders on a Saturday, but I did.)

Looks like they'll return to the Friday rerun next week. I was wondering what was up with that.

Last Friday, all the shows that don't do Fridays (Kimmel, Meyers, Corden) all did Friday shows. That might've been because it was a shortened Labor Day week, but I don't recall that happening before.

(I hate Friday shows because Friday nights are the weekend, and it makes it feel like we're still in the week...I'd rather not watch Colbert's interview with Bernie Sanders on a Saturday, but I did.)

I didn't realize other shows were doing it too, that's truly bizarre. And I totally agree with you about Friday shows. Four shows a week is more than enough, I'd rather have my Fridays free.

There was a special guest drummer last night. Fred Armisen. And yet another SNL guest, Pete Davidson, although personally I never tire of watching them sit around "mocking" Lorne Michaels.

I LOVE when Seth's family are his guests for Thanksgiving!  They were on last year and again last night and I actually laugh out loud at times.  I think I enjoy it so much because the family so obviously love and care about each other and have such a sweet and funny history together.  I hope this becomes an annual tradition.

And I'd like to add my congratulations to Seth and his wife (and the whole family) on their pregnancy.

I get so jealous of Seth's family, they love each other so much!

Seth seemed choked up at the announcement of the pregnancy, good for them!

Yes, that was a great show.  At the end, what was it Seth's father told him about raising a family?  My DVR cut off!!!

I agree with Seth's political leanings, so there's that, but I have to give him huge props for, night after night in his monologue, exposing the ridiculousness and hypocrisy in politics, especially Trump. I think Seth is doing a better job of it right now than even The Daily Show.

• Love 4

What was funniest to me about Seth calling Iowa voters, besides that no one recognized his name, was that he actually got the tiniest bit annoyed about his mother having a hot male personal trainer.

Edited by lordonia

Though Colin Jost was a great guest last night! Very funny and charming. Now, I actually like him on Weekend Update on SNL, but he is quite different when he's not on Update. Like both times he's been on Late Night, and when he was on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, and other interviews I've seen. He's so much looser and sillier.

• Love 3

I thought Colin was a fun guest, too. I no longer watch SNL so wasn't familiar with him.

In general, Seth really brings out the best in people; I think he and Kimmel are the top late night hosts in that regard. I was thinking about Seth's interview with Gad Elmaleh since I'd recently seen Gad on with Colbert and also watched his episode of Comedians in Cars, but still had no idea why he's so popular or even considered funny. Seth's interview made me see it.

Seth also knows when to shuttie and let the guest speak.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Two takeaways from last night:

-I find Thomas Middleditch really good on Silicon Valley. I find him annoyingly unfunny in real life.

-Seth does a lousy Jerry Seinfeld.

• Love 1

I'm torn. From a promotional standpoint, not being able to come up with anything substantial to talk with Henry Cavill about regarding his big movie opening this week doesn't reflect well on Seth's ability as an interviewer—surely some aspect of the 78 year history of one of the world's most iconic characters could be discussed without revealing spoilers. However, it did result in an entire interview focused on Cavill's zipper and naked hotel adventures, so I suppose I should be grateful for the mental images conjured up.

I wasn't familiar with Andrew Rannells, but what a fun guest. Like, be present, have a little anecdote ready ...nicely done. Being quippy isn't a skill everyone has, but I hope Andrew becomes a "friend of the show" and has many return visits.

Meanwhile, poor Pharrell tied himself in knots trying to answer a straightforward question. Voicemail analogy, wha?

I didn't do any fact-checking so took it with a slight grain of salt, but was surprised about Trump's allegedly piss-poor campaign management. It supports my belief that he never honestly believed he would get this far and his run was just meant to be another self-promotion gambit. It is dumbfounding that nobody else on his team seems to understand the rules, either, but he may be trying to wing that himself, just like he says he's his own advisor.

And of course Trump is blaming the rules!

Edited by lordonia

I love how Seth (and some other hosts) have given up any pretense of presenting satirical jokes about Trump and segued directly into "this guy is an incredible, dangerous asswipe."

Was it necessary for Seth to repeatedly collapse in fake laughter during the segment with Maya Rudolph? Maybe he was over-caffeinated,

• Love 1

I don't know when it happened, but Seth Meyers has turned into my favorite late night host.  I think it's because he is KILLING IT with his political stuff, and is doing it better than anyone else in the game right now, including The Daily Show.  In particular, his "A Closer Look" segments have been fantastic.  The Trump stuff recently is just the cherry on the sundae.

I must also give a special shout out to his "Jon Snow at a Dinner Party" sketch from last year, because I watch that at least once every 2 - 3 weeks and crack up laughing every time.  

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I don't know when it happened, but Seth Meyers has turned into my favorite late night host.

Agreed! Sharp political commentary, top notch interview skills, and comedy bits that make me laugh more often than not. I very rarely fast forward, and when I do it's because the guest bores me. Seth is also similar to Johnny Carson in that it's sometimes funnier when a joke bombs because of his reaction.

My favorite recurring sketches are Jokes Seth Can't Tell and Ya Burnt.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

Agreed! Sharp political commentary, top notch interview skills, and comedy bits that make me laugh more often than not. I very rarely fast forward, and when I do it's because the guest bores me. Seth is also similar to Johnny Carson in that it's sometimes funnier when a joke bombs because of his reaction.

My favorite recurring sketches are Jokes Seth Can't Tell and Ya Burnt.

This household agrees with your comments.  We also like A Closer Look.  Very smart. 

• Love 5

Well ... does it go without saying that I agree with Seth's political views? I don't imagine many conservatives are giving him an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

I also enjoy when Fred Armisen is there and does the bit about watching every single TV show. It's supremely silly but he and Seth have such fond rapport that it's fun to watch.

And let's not forget Frisbee!

• Love 1
(edited)

One of my favorite recurring bits is how much Andy Samberg hates Frisbee.  I don't know why, but it cracks me up at how ugly he finds that dog and that he tried to get his wife to say something mean about Frisbee when she was on the show.

Which also leads me to how much I enjoy Second Chance Theater.  Jennjamin Franklin is simultaneously one of the dumbest and most hilarious sketches I've ever seen.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2016 at 11:10 AM, lordonia said:

Seth is also similar to Johnny Carson in that it's sometimes funnier when a joke bombs because of his reaction.

Some of my favorite jokes he tells are the jokes he knows are going to bomb or be groaners but tells them anyway because he loves them. I think I like them because I like making stupid jokes myself. 

• Love 3