Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, grawlix said:

01/04:  Seth announced he tested positive for COVID this morning.  The rest of the shows this week have been cancelled.

I heard about that. I was hoping maybe he was asymptomatic and could do shows from his attic (or his inlaws house).

• Love 1

I laughed when I noticed the TWO copies of the Thornbirds, one on each side, at the new quarantine studio.

I also noticed Seth's eyes are VERY blue. Is he wearing tinted contact lenses??? I never really noticed before, but ever since he moved to this location, it's been startling me how blue they are.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I laughed when I noticed the TWO copies of the Thornbirds, one on each side, at the new quarantine studio.

That made me laugh. Although I am not sure I liked Seth's Ric Flair impression. I mean the fact that he went for it was funny, but there wasn't much to the impression itself.

• Love 1

Seth really needs to listen to NPR - it's not just for "old people".  No need to be snotty, Seth.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also noticed Seth's eyes are VERY blue. Is he wearing tinted contact lenses??? I never really noticed before, but ever since he moved to this location, it's been startling me how blue they are.

I've noticed this too!

• Love 3

Last night he was up to 4 copies of The Thorn Birds! I laughed the first time I saw it; now I'm wondering how many copies will show up tonight.

I like the Sea Captain (I know I'm in a minority), but could do without Rhianna-wife. Oh, well. Hopefully, he'll be back in the studio Monday.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think he may be using a ring light with his webcam—the lighting is very noticeable. With so much light close and straight on, I think it just highlights his eyes more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Bottom right shelf, center? I don't think that is the right spine for a TB. Where do you see 10th?

6 on my left-Seth's (stage) right and 4 on my right-Seth's (stage) left. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

6 on my left-Seth's (stage) right and 4 on my right-Seth's (stage) left. 

Those, and maybe an 11th I just noticed?  (Bottom right, my lame attempt to draw an arrow)

70D30E43-4CCD-4C87-BE0B-79759027F572.jpeg

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I love Dave.  

That's all I got... 

The thought of the weird shit Dave would get up to if he was doing his show locked down at home warms my comedy heart and makes me miss him even more.  I am glad he has started putting his stuff on youtube finally.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

The thought of the weird shit Dave would get up to if he was doing his show locked down at home warms my comedy heart and makes me miss him even more.  I am glad he has started putting his stuff on youtube finally.

If you want All Dave, All the Time on YouTube, seek out Don Giller's channel.  He's got it all.  Really, all of it. It's great, and while I'm glad Dave's jumping in, I don't see how he can top Don.  But...we'll see. 

• Love 3

Man, Dave's still got it, hasn't he? He didn't miss a beat; it's like he's never been gone. Still the master in my book -- and I adore Seth, don't get me wrong. It shows a lot of grace and humility and confidence to share the stage with the guy who first made Late Night must-see TV all those years ago. (And I love that Seth dressed up for the occasion!) 

Variety: David Letterman's Interview with Seth Meyers Was Late Night at Its Best

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

"Jokes Seth Can't Tell" is still my favorite thing.

I virtually attended a lecture series a couple of weeks ago hosted by a mainstream liberal seminary and one of the speakers focused on the use of comedy and humor in preaching. He played a number of clips illustrating comedy that "isn't funny" but that examines the lived experience of the performer (Gary Gulman, Hannah Gadsby, Tig Notaro) as well as some clips showing how comedy can have serious undertones in the area of identity, and "Jokes Seth Can't Tell" featured prominently in the latter. 

Edited by FoundTime
Added link to Variety article
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, FoundTime said:

Man, Dave's still got it, hasn't he? He didn't miss a beat; it's like he's never been gone. Still the master in my book -- and I adore Seth, don't get me wrong. It shows a lot of grace and humility and confidence to share the stage with the guy who first made Late Night must-see TV all those years ago. (And I love that Seth dressed up for the occasion!) 

Variety: David Letterman's Interview with Seth Meyers Was Late Night at Its Best

I virtually attended a lecture series a couple of weeks ago hosted by a mainstream liberal seminary and one of the speakers focused on the use of comedy and humor in preaching. He played a number of clips illustrating comedy that "isn't funny" but that examines the lived experience of the performer (Gary Gulman, Hannah Gadsby, Tig Notaro) as well as some clips showing how comedy can have serious undertones in the area of identity, and "Jokes Seth Can't Tell" featured prominently in the latter. 

Thank you for posting that article.  It was really well written and I agree with his thoughts about Dave and Seth. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, FoundTime said:

Letterman and Seth were both great.
And their segment was a nice break from "the news." 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, ebk57 said:

If you want All Dave, All the Time on YouTube, seek out Don Giller's channel.  He's got it all.  Really, all of it. It's great, and while I'm glad Dave's jumping in, I don't see how he can top Don.  But...we'll see. 

I kind of wonder what Dave's YouTube channel means for Don's. Don has had the inside track on archival clips/episods of Dave-era Late Night for years now. Seems like Dave himself putting all that on his own channel pulls the carpet out from Don.

• Useful 1

I thought Seth was perfect in his segment with Dave.  He put on a suit and he was respectful without fawning.  To me, he didn't surrender the high ground and remained the host of the show, pleased to offer his audience a special guest.

I enjoyed the distinction they made that Dave had been coming off a spectacular career crash & burn while Seth had the advantage of a successful career launched just a few feet away.  They didn't do a lot of head-to-head comparison (Paul Schaeffer, anyone?) but the genesis of their respective times at the desk was a good one.

Seth's excellent with quick impromptu rejoinder, but no one's better than Dave.  Lightning quick with the funny, that one.

I guess my only critical note is that I'm not as charmed by David Letterman's kid as he is.  I remember when he was born, but I don't mind not keeping up with his next 18 years.  : )

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, candall said:

Seth's excellent with quick impromptu rejoinder, but no one's better than Dave.  Lightning quick with the funny, that one.

They played well off of each other. I wouldn’t mind a semi-regular segment of something like A Conversation With Dave.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I kind of wonder what Dave's YouTube channel means for Don's. Don has had the inside track on archival clips/episods of Dave-era Late Night for years now. Seems like Dave himself putting all that on his own channel pulls the carpet out from Don.

I hope it doesn't.  I really appreciate what Don has been doing all this time.  

• Love 1

I am completely unfamiliar with her music except for the time she sang on SNL, but I kind of like her when she does interviews. She seems to have some sensible perspective on herself and her situation, and to be respectful of it while also not being overly self-impressed. 

• Love 3

Yeah, pretty much what @ahisma said. Best part was after Eilish was done they had to sit through NYC mayor Eric Adams, who was probably not in their demographics 🙂

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Has Seth won Emmy’s or Golden Globes for this show?

This “A Closer Look” segment is deserving of all the awards IMO, especially for the way he worked in all the spot-on impersonations, as well as how he covered an aspect of the current situation that has not been covered elsewhere, and did so himself without turning it over to other experts, and, perhaps most importantly, while successfully using satire. And, given the timeliness of the subject matter, he couldn’t have rehearsed it very much–—which probably contributed to the spontaneity, which only works when the person doing the impressions is really good at it, and which skill enables him to use the satirical impressions to tell the story rather than digress from his message:   
https://youtu.be/R6TU1UVB83E

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They have 2 Critics Choice Awards wins. Everywhere else has just been nominations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/8/2022 at 6:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

John Oliver and Last Week Tonight have had the awards locked up for years. A dark art developed at the knee of his mentor Jon Stewart 😀

Edited by anna0852
  • LOL 8
6 hours ago, anna0852 said:

John Oliver and Last Week Tonight have had the awards locked up for years. A dark art developed at his mentor Jon Stewart's knee 😀

That plus the crazy production values available from HBO, that let him do the kind of crazy shit other shows couldn't possibly do. Because if it was just what he learned at The Daily Show, Colbert and Sam Bee would be getting just as many Emmys.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I dunno. Colbert does a lot of fluffy interviews and other not very serious stuff. He does some politics, but Oliver's show is much more of a deep dive and it's just more impressive to actually go into detail vs just making a quick joke and then promoting someone's movie or their new perfume line or whatever.

• Love 3