Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Words

Late Night With Seth Meyers

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The former guy refers to the former occupant of the Oval Office.  Or at least that's how he's referred to in other venues I frequent. 

But that isn’t how it was stated in the context of the segment. Particularly when Seth Meyers roasting of “the former guy” at the WHC dinner, everyone suggests was when  “the former guy” actually decided to run for President for real it legit doesn’t track with your synopsis. 

 

Edited by biakbiak

Share this post


Link to post

44 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Confused about who you mean “the former guy”. I don’t believe either Conan or Dave would disagree with that sentiment and Seth and Tom Hanks probably disagree because how it was suggested they were both “nice” which has literally nothing to do with either Tom Hanks or Seth. It was a shitty analogy particularly if you don’t know anything about Tom Hanks or Seth Meyers which seems about right for the Sunday Show.

 

31 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The former guy refers to the former occupant of the Oval Office.  Or at least that's how he's referred to in other venues I frequent. 

Yes. The current Oval occupant seems to have coined the term. 
My point was that Seth can be quite ruthless when lambasting with satire those for whom he (Seth) has zero feelings of loving kindness—that is, those who do not bring out the Tom Hanks-ness in Seth. 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My point was that Seth can be quite ruthless when lambasting with satire those for whom he (Seth) has zero feelings of loving kindness—that is, those who do not bring out the Tom Hanks-ness in Seth.

Note that the people he lambastes are generally people who have shown callousness and cruelty to others. In other words, punching up, only at people who punch down.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

 

Yes. The current Oval occupant seems to have coined the term. 
My point was that Seth can be quite ruthless when lambasting with satire those for whom he (Seth) has zero feelings of loving kindness—that is, those who do not bring out the Tom Hanks-ness in Seth. 🤨

Biden didn’t “coin the term” the “former occupant of the Oval Office” it has literally been around for so long Bob Hope used to use it when he didn’t want to mention a previous administration in his USO shows and because Bob Hope rarely told a joke that hadn’t been used before it probably predates him. 

My issue was in defense of Tom Hanks and Seth they are considered “nice” when you meet them but Tom Hanks even when not called on by his daily job to call out power has done it so many, many, many times; often in humor! Much like Seth so suggesting Variety’s comparison was apolitical is what I was arguing with. 

Edited by biakbiak

Share this post


Link to post

I think it is in fact widely rumored that being roasted at the WHCD is when President #45 decided to run for office. I took "TFG" to be referring to that person, in this context.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Biden didn’t “coin the term” the “former occupant of the Oval Office” it has literally been around for so long Bob Hope used to use it when he didn’t want to mention a previous administration in his USO shows and because Bob Hope rarely told a joke that hadn’t been used before it probably predates him. 

Interesting. In more ways than one that I don’t think I can mention here.

But I was just trying (without saying anything political) to use what I thought was a now-commonly understood way to refer to a certain political foe of Seth’s to make the point that I don’t see Seth as 100% Mr. Nice Guy. 
I’m afraid I added to the confusion by also referencing without clear citation the comparison of Seth to Tom Hanks. It was in that YouTube interview posted on the previous page of this thread, which I reposted, but should have also mentioned that in the video Jane Paully quotes Variety at about the 3 minute mark, calling Seth “the Tom Hanks of Late Night” (https://youtu.be/WwpppJZcV04).

Sigh. I think I’m not going to explain this here any better, so, as with the old Fractured Fairytales: The End

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, ahisma said:

Note that the people he lambastes are generally people who have shown callousness and cruelty to others. In other words, punching up, only at people who punch down.

This is very, very true. Again, YMMV about the Tom Hanks comparison. I think we can all agree that Seth and his crew have really come into their own in this past year. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

So is Stephen Colbert spying on Seth’s Cicada, Cicada rehearsals? He’s already had Nathan Lane and Christine Baranski on his show since he went back to the theater. If he books Harvey Fierstein, Seth needs to get a cease and desist letter against him!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I love how, every time he's in the news for any reason, Seth always has to stress, just one more time, that Giuliani married his cousin!

  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I love how, every time he's in the news for any reason, Seth always has to stress, just one more time, that Giuliani married his cousin!

That clip Seth showed with Andrew Giuliani’s rant about how unfair his father is being treated and how poorly framed he is in the shot then followed up with his own poorly staged shot cracked me up.  

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

That clip Seth showed with Andrew Giuliani’s rant about how unfair his father is being treated and how poorly framed he is in the shot then followed up with his own poorly staged shot cracked me up.  

I fell asleep before Seth and haven't watched, but really? Because Colbert did the same bit, including his own poorly framed version.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I fell asleep before Seth and haven't watched, but really? Because Colbert did the same bit, including his own poorly framed version.

Check out last nights “A Closer Look” on YouTube.  I’ll have to check out Colbert’s version which I’m sure is just as funny.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/23/2021 at 11:38 PM, catlover79 said:

Finally made the time to watch this. I'm happy to hear that they say the earliest they would consider returning to shows with an audience is September. I think I had not realized just how much the show had changed until they started talking about the evolution into crazy  silliness that they've experienced during the pandemic, but it's true that I didn't used to watch every night and over time as it's gotten simultaneously more issue based and more insane, I've become a regular nightly viewer. So I hope they find a way to continue that stuff if they change formats again, and I like that the things they say they like about what they're doing are also the things I like-- how rare is that? Usually I'm the curmudgeon grumbling in the corner.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, opus said:

Full audience for Jimmy, still nothing here. At least bring back Wally's kid.

Seth without an audience is still a dozen times better than Fallon with one. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

One really interesting thing they said in the interview is that when you don't have a live audience, you have only your own sense of humor to go by. When there's an audience, you're thinking about what they find funny, and adjusting it to the reactions. But when all you have is yourself and the crew, you really find out what your own instincts are, and you have to just go on that alone.

I also thought it was really interesting that Seth said that although the live audiences are likely all or mostly all fans of the show, the larger audience is the people at home, and that doing the show without a live audience in the studio made him think about the at home audience more, and some of what they've done to connect with the at home watchers is because suddenly they were what he was thinking about, more than the in studio crowd which used to take his focus.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

I fell asleep before Seth and haven't watched, but really? Because Colbert did the same bit, including his own poorly framed version

They both also did the same bit when the Russian photographer blocked the view of the cameras behind him during the Biden-Putin meeting. Both shows had a crew member get in the camera frame, blocking the view of them.

Sometimes the joke is just obvious—I’m impressed by how often they don’t go for the same joke.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

Sometimes the joke is just obvious—I’m impressed by how often they don’t go for the same joke.

—whereas I’m always imagining some behind the scenes nefarious bit spying 🕵️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, ahisma said:

Sometimes the joke is just obvious—I’m impressed by how often they don’t go for the same joke.

Reminds me of when I hear SNL is the hardest show to write for in terms of what happened that week, because by the time Saturday night rolls around, all the jokes have been done to death elsewhere.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’m so glad Seth’s back!

That shark with the rotted out meth teeth was…. something.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was laughing out loud at every reference to the ever-growing number of in-jokes Seth is building—impressions; Cicada, Cicada; Scollins—and wondering whether casual viewers are just perplexed. And then he talked to Florence about all the Marvel movie references. I guess, being a Seth completist and Marvel completist, I’m set. 😄

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Don’t forget the smoking cockroach which I’m sure will be joining the Cicada, Cicada references going forward.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/16/2021 at 1:39 AM, biakbiak said:

Cant wait to see who he went day drinking with!

Speaking of Day Drinking, I think my favorite one was with Seth's mom. 😊

gettyimages-487460660-612x612.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Is the show off the second half of next week? I'm only seeing guests listed for Mon and Tues at the Late Night line ups page: https://www.interbridge.com/lineupsdate.html

It's on my scheduled DVR shows all week and I only have new episodes scheduled.  Maybe they haven't lined up the guests yet. 

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe it has something to do with the Olympics starting on Friday. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I checked my DVR, and it says new episodes, but it doesn't list what guests. I guess we'll see what happens....

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I checked my DVR, and it says new episodes, but it doesn't list what guests. I guess we'll see what happens....

TitanTV.com shows for Monday:

Quote

Actress Shailene Woodley from The Last Letter from Your Lover; voice actor Henry Winkler from Monsters at Work; percussionist Taku Hirano sits-in with the 8G Band.

 

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

It's on my scheduled DVR shows all week and I only have new episodes scheduled.  Maybe they haven't lined up the guests yet. 

Same here. 

Share this post


Link to post

Day drinking with Amy would be awesome.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I watched the Henry Winkler interview about three times. His tale of his 9-year-old grandson dressing as The Fonz for Halloween was utterly charming. 🥰

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I watched the Henry Winkler interview about three times. His tale of his 9-year-old grandson dressing as The Fonz for Halloween was utterly charming. 🥰

He is so utterly charming. I wish I could be his friend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Guests have been posted for Wednes and Thurs, so I guess that settles that question!

Wednes= Lorde

Thurs = Mindy Kaling, Jack Antonoff, Bleachers

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t know much about Lorde other than a few of her songs but I thought she was absolutely charming.I also really liked the space they filmed in. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Where DO they film the drinking segments?

They switch it up, this was at Zero Bond which is a private club in Noho.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I missed Seth so much! So glad he’s back—cigarette-smoking cockroach, Mike Lindell impression, and all.

Fully on board with ST:TNG becoming the new M*A*S*H; I love both shows. 

Now I can’t wait for the end of the week, since I’m sure someone will come up with a correction on El Niño/La Niña and Seth will be super shirty about it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Have the show's Youtube videos stopped showing up in the Subscriptions page for anyone else? For the last few days, only one video ('Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Reveal Why Family Game Fight! Is the "Meanest Show"') has shown up in my Subscriptions feed, despite them uploading them all the time as usual.

I'm wondering if someone involved unticked the "Publish to Subscriptions feed and notify subscribers" box for some reason.

EDIT: Just checked, and Fallon is the same. Are they trying to drive down views so people watch on Peacock or something? That's dumb, especially as I don't have Peacock in my country.

Edited by ApathyMonger

Share this post


Link to post

@ApathyMonger

I have the same issue.  While watching last night’s Closer Look on YouTube I saw a number of commenters say they have the same issue.  When I first discovered the problem I unsubscribed then subscribed thinking that would fix it.  It did not so I’m guessing it’s an issue on their end like you mentioned.  

Share this post


Link to post

Seth was on fire last night! A Closer Look, which is always a favorite, was exceptional. That great Seinfeld riff! Politically, roasting Ghouliani is always fun, and now with a clueless Cuomo and his nipple rings added to the mix! And I'll never tire of Seth's shouty pillow guy impersonation!

All this and a MASH reference! A true embarrassment of comic riches!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I have the same issue.  While watching last night’s Closer Look on YouTube I saw a number of commenters say they have the same issue.  When I first discovered the problem I unsubscribed then subscribed thinking that would fix it.  It did not so I’m guessing it’s an issue on their end like you mentioned.  

When you're uploading a video, there's a box for "Publish to subscriptions feed and notify subscribers." It's checked by default, but I assume someone at NBC has, either by design or accident, had them uncheck that box on most of the videos they upload.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Seth was on fire last night! A Closer Look, which is always a favorite, was exceptional. That great Seinfeld riff! Politically, roasting Ghouliani is always fun, and now with a clueless Cuomo and his nipple rings added to the mix! And I'll never tire of Seth's shouty pillow guy impersonation!

All this and a MASH reference! A true embarrassment of comic riches!

I loved the Seinfeld reference.  The Mike Lindell impersonations are always gold -  I’m always waiting for the ending … da bears!  For me that can replace ”Mel?”   I’d enjoy more TNG references as well.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Plus Hannah Waddingham had the whole crew cracking up—it almost sounded like a full audience, they were so loud! Loved the flirty bit at the end, too. 😄 Definitely high energy last night!

Share this post


Link to post

Don't they shoot Corrections after Thursday's show? (which doesn't jibe with the continuity of Amber kicking him out, but oh well 🙂)

Share this post


Link to post

The most recent two were released on Monday 8/9 and Tues 8/17, so I'm thinking it's one of those "we get to it when we get to it" deals right now. But they did at one point say they tape it last thing before he leaves for the weekend, or at least that's what I thought I remembered hearing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size