Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just happened to catch Seth's interview with Wendy Williams this week. It was surprisingly entertaining. 

They have a good dynamic. Every time she is on I briefly consider giving her show another shot but I find her overwhelming on her own show. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They have a good dynamic. Every time she is on I briefly consider giving her show another shot but I find her overwhelming on her own show. 

Have you (or anyone else here) noticed other annoying celebs who Seth manages to bring out the best in? Or is it just a Wendy thing?

Listening to Seth and his guests talk night after night about how they get tested so often is starting to irritate me. Not everyone can get access to tests that easily, and it's way more of a hardship not to have it than to have it, so shut up.

• Love 4
On 10/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, possibilities said:

Listening to Seth and his guests talk night after night about how they get tested so often is starting to irritate me. Not everyone can get access to tests that easily, and it's way more of a hardship not to have it than to have it, so shut up.

I think it’s important that they continually put that message out there. Too many people are tired of shelter in place and want things to “be normal.” If Seth has his show in the studio, with his writers and crew there, and Amber on his sofa, it’s easy to think, “See, Seth is going in to work; I can, too.” It’s good to have reminders that it’s not normal—it’s only happening because they are going to great lengths to make it happen. 

And conversely, for those of us who worry about the health of Seth and his crew, it’s good to know they are taking all possible precautions short of going back to the attic. 

• Love 17

I also disagree.

Its people taking it seriously. Testing from access, to cost,  to response time varies so much across the country and none of it is because people in entertainment and sports get regularly tested.

It’s just the companies have the funds to do it, active unions demanding protections for their members, and crunching the numbers about realizing the cost in future lawsuits of not doing these basic things. 

• Love 6

It's not that they get tested that bothers me. It's the complaining about how awful it is. I do agree they should make sure people understnd the pandemic is real and they are being careful. I just don't want to hear about how awful the process is. It's privilege, they should be grateful, not whiny. Most of their audience doesn't have that kind of access or protection.

• Love 4

Cory Booker is on right now. Seth may not deliver his monologue as well as Stephen Colbert does his, but I appreciate the way Seth draws his guest out and doesn't interrupt as do the other late night hosts I see on network TV (especially because, for me, listening to Cory Booker is like having a personal visit from Gandhi).  

• Love 3
On 10/16/2020 at 6:10 PM, possibilities said:

It's not that they get tested that bothers me. It's the complaining about how awful it is. I do agree they should make sure people understnd the pandemic is real and they are being careful. I just don't want to hear about how awful the process is. It's privilege, they should be grateful, not whiny. Most of their audience doesn't have that kind of access or protection.

As someone who had to have two COVID tests in one month to be cleared for two separate outpatient medical procedures, I am here to say that the COVID test is fucking terrible. The test protocols vary from state to state, which is part of the problem as well. A cousin of mine has his in Florida and his was a cake walk compared to mine. Part of keeping people safe is alerting them to the fact that the test itself is fucking terrible. I almost didn't go back for a medical procedure (a surgical lumbar injection for back pain) because I didn't want to have a second COVID test - it was THAT bad. 

In the state of California, tests are performed with a testing probe/swab that is inserted into both nostrils. The "swab" I was tested with (both times!) was a wooden stick that looked like it was one half of a chop stick. It hurt SO BAD. It burned my nose, throat and face. My eyes were tearing up as well. Everyone I know who has had a test in CA says the pain is awful - and they're not wrong. 

My cousin's test in FL consisted of a plastic mascara wand looking instrument going up one nostril - and not nearly as far up into the nasal cavity.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Bridget said:

As someone who had to have two COVID tests in one month to be cleared for two separate outpatient medical procedures, I am here to say that the COVID test is fucking terrible. The test protocols vary from state to state, which is part of the problem as well. A cousin of mine has his in Florida and his was a cake walk compared to mine. Part of keeping people safe is alerting them to the fact that the test itself is fucking terrible. I almost didn't go back for a medical procedure (a surgical lumbar injection for back pain) because I didn't want to have a second COVID test - it was THAT bad. 

In the state of California, tests are performed with a testing probe/swab that is inserted into both nostrils. The "swab" I was tested with (both times!) was a wooden stick that looked like it was one half of a chop stick. It hurt SO BAD. It burned my nose, throat and face. My eyes were tearing up as well. Everyone I know who has had a test in CA says the pain is awful - and they're not wrong. 

My cousin's test in FL consisted of a plastic mascara wand looking instrument going up one nostril - and not nearly as far up into the nasal cavity.

i'm guessing your test was more likely to produce accurate results, if that is any comfort

• Love 5
On 10/14/2020 at 9:59 PM, possibilities said:

If they aren't gloating about it, I don't see this as anything but a positive.  Firstly, the one thing which HAS changed in the last few months is test availability, even if the results are still FAR too slow.  Secondly, even if you're in a region still with a testing shortage, getting the message that testing is important outweighs potentially hurt feelings, because along with anti-mask idiocy, there are people who won't even get tested.  Finally, it doesn't help anyone to pretend that people in the entertainment industry have budgets and availability to tests.  Ignoring something doesn't make it go away, so why shouldn't they talk about it?  It's an inequity sure, but it's not one where the parties on that side are acting like everything is okay for everyone else, just because they have better access.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, possibilities said:

That's just people being people.  People complain.  It's human nature.

• Love 8

What a pleasure to watch Giancarlo (Max Fring) being interviewed.  So handsome with his grey curls. And he appears to be a very nice man.  I started to watch Breaking Bad for the third time last week and just last night watched the intro of Max episode.  I love this show.  Waiting for the next season of Better Call Saul.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

What a pleasure to watch Giancarlo (Max Fring) being interviewed.  So handsome with his grey curls. And he appears to be a very nice man.  I started to watch Breaking Bad for the third time last week and just last night watched the intro of Max episode.  I love this show.  Waiting for the next season of Better Call Saul.

I think you mean Gustavo Fring. Max is his partner (or was; trying to still avoid spoilers).

• Love 1
On 10/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, Lifesabeach said:

What a pleasure to watch Giancarlo (Max Fring) being interviewed.  So handsome with his grey curls. And he appears to be a very nice man.

I just got around to watching the interview, and my frown was literally turned upside down. I was very grumpy, but when Giancarlo Esposito started talking about bringing out the hero in each other and his joy in his new Star Wars role, I got a contact high through my screen.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

The Leslie Jones interview reminded me how much I miss Game of Jones.

I love Leslie Jones, but I wish she was hosting a game show I like. It just seems like she got the short end of the game-show-reboot stick with frickin Supermarket Sweep. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I love Leslie Jones, but I wish she was hosting a game show I like. It just seems like she got the short end of the game-show-reboot stick with frickin Supermarket Sweep. 

She's the producer of it.  She PICKED it.

Admittedly some of the prime properties like Family Feud and Match Game were off the table, but there are still enough unrebooted game shows out there that she clearly had options, assuming of course the rights are available.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

She's the producer of it.  She PICKED it.

Admittedly some of the prime properties like Family Feud and Match Game were off the table, but there are still enough unrebooted game shows out there that she clearly had options, assuming of course the rights are available.  

I guess I’ll just have to be happy for her and hope to see her in other ventures more to my liking in the future. 

I am not usually a big fan of Seth but tape it because my best friend loves him, but his Thanksgiving show with his parents was the funniest thing ever. Loved everything about it, even the burnt, which i usually hate, except the guy at the end who murdered that wonderful John Prine song.

• Love 6

Why do dudes with long hair never seem to wash or comb it? I love hair, but am also a fan of hygiene.

Also, who thought it was a fun idea to turn Kurt Weil into Kurt Vile? Is that really an improvement? Get a voice, dude!

I'm super cranky. 

I don't usually watch the Thanksgiving show. Does Seth's mother call him Soupy?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

don't usually watch the Thanksgiving show. Does Seth's mother call him Soupy?

She calls him Soofie which is apparently a childhood nickname, she calls Josh Poshie. 

The thanksgiving show is my favorite. I love their dynamic and Albert the 6th, Frisbee and Debbie were all adorable. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 12/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Kromm said:

Okay, this is both somehow very surprising and not at all surprising all at once:

John Mulaney joins Seth Meyers’ ‘Late Night’ as staff writer

Then again, the show has paid for John Lutz and Michelle Wolf in he past.  Employing actually successful comedians seems to be Seth's thing.

I like this news, as long as John doesn't do too many of those appearances where he sits on the couch in his trench coat and discusses crazy stuff. His appearance on 11/2 was funny, though I don't remember what they talked about. But his appearance on 11/24 where he badly explained royal gossip was both too soon after his last one, and really...not...funny. I've never not enjoyed John Mulaney, so I even rewound it to see if I missed something that would help me get the joke, but no. It was stilted and weird and at the end, Seth even commented on how awkward it was and said it should be written better if John wanted to come on to discuss the royals again.

• Love 5

Oh my god, the Popsicle Shtick was dumb. I-can’t-help-laughing-at-it dumb! The naked Evel Kneivel with blurred out genitals was stupid-funny, but I completely lost it at all the Seth-Munchkins in Oz!

• Love 3

Seth and his staff have done an incredible job in the last four years to try to call attention to, make sense of and push back against what's happening in the US government. 

Seth and the rest of late night (Stephen, Jimmy K, James, Jimmy F, Samantha, Amber, Larry, Bill, John and Trevor) have risen to and met admirably this herculean task. And arguably they've (some more than others) collectively continued to pioneer new field of comedic journalism, picking up Jon Stewart's ball and running with it as hard as they can.

• Love 17
On 1/8/2021 at 8:18 AM, anna0852 said:

Seth and his staff have done an incredible job in the last four years to try to call attention to, make sense of and push back against what's happening in the US government. 

Seth and the rest of late night (Stephen, Jimmy K, James, Jimmy F, Samantha, Amber, Larry, Bill, John and Trevor) have risen to and met admirably this herculean task. And arguably they've (some more than others) collectively continued to pioneer new field of comedic journalism, picking up Jon Stewart's ball and running with it as hard as they can.

Subtract Fallon from that list and I can agree. 

James gets half credit. He usually only says anything after huge events, but at least it's typically well said on those rare occasions. 

Seth and John Oliver are clearly the standouts. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, ahisma said:

“I feel like that was a bit of a tangent, BUT SO THE F*** WAS THAT! (Ben Sasse sucks.)”

Watching this again, it occurred to me that these are often the same people who say “the best way to prevent school shootings is to befriend the outcasts.”

• Love 3
On 1/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Kromm said:

Subtract Fallon from that list and I can agree. 

I think Jimmy has done a better job than most give him credit for. His comment about his late grandfather gutted me. (“If my grandfather were alive today and saw the country he fought for today, he’d be disgusted.” Mine too.)

My favorite comment of the night, however, was by James Corden: "I truly believe that there are better times ahead...except for the guy who came to the protest dressed as every member of the Village People. I don't know if better times are ahead for him." 

Agreed that on the whole - Seth and Stephen Colbert owned the night.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 6

I've become a recent fan of this show.  I watch it live too....trouble sleeping for some reason.  lol  I really enjoy the humor and intellect.  

Anyone see James Spader actually appear ON the set last night?  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've become a recent fan of this show.  I watch it live too....trouble sleeping for some reason.  lol  I really enjoy the humor and intellect.  

Anyone see James Spader actually appear ON the set last night?  

He was a guest a few months ago and came in to the studio then too.  The only one so far.  Kind of odd to watch considering they need to sit far apart.  
I started watching at the beginning of the pandemic via Seth’s YouTube clips.  Each show night around 9pm they post his Closer Look segments. 

• Love 2