Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
12 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Did Seth say something about having termites?  After an especially grueling day at work, I was in and out of sleep at that point.

Yes. I was sleepy too, but I think he was thanking/acknowledging them for applauding.
I'm not sure if his home literally has termites, or if it was kind of like when  someone gets no applause and says "just crickets" even though there are no actual crickets.
But if he doesn't have termites, it's no laughing matter to viewers who do.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

He does kind of make that house sound like a hell hole. When the at-home episodes first started, it did seem weird that the attic was cold enough that Seth needed a space heater, yet warm enough that wasps were flying around. 

• Love 1

I love watching the intro and first half hour or so before bed. I do actually like when one of the band members has their kids in the shot, it does usually seem to be the female, but I noticed one of the male band members has had kids in their intro on occasion. Working from home - it can be a challenge!

Loved when the kids burst out of the little doors. The creepy little doors.

• Love 9

I don't mind the kids either.

I don't get why the doors are considered creepy, though. If you've ever been in an attic of a house with a pitched roof, the sides of the room are always shorter than the middle, and so you can either have it just be open, or you can turn the sides into closets and put doors on them, and voila! little doors.

I guess some people even it up by putting in walls and ceilings that are square, and just wall off the shorter areas and pretend they aren't there, but I've lived in and visited many places where the attic has that triangular shaped ceiling because that's the shape of the roof, and the sides of the room have small doors to turn them into closets.

I've also lived with wasps, but I agree they don't show up when it's cold. So... yeah, that's suspicious.

• Love 2

Every spring I have an infestation of wasps in my kitchen as soon as the nights start to stay above freezing.  I assume I have a nest somewhere in my rafters above my kitchen ceiling, but I put out wasp traps outdoors near where I think the wasps are originating, and they disappear after a couple weeks.  Until August.  With the really hot weather, the wasp wars escalate, but I find Seth's early spring skirmish to be entirely plausible.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

it did seem weird that the attic was cold enough that Seth needed a space heater, yet warm enough that wasps were flying around. 

Could a space heater’s warmth wake up wasps?
Even so, I doubt his house has infestations of both wasps and termites plus squirrels. So at least part of the mentions of various creatures in the walls of his attic are likely just comedic bits. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, Waldopepper said:

I set my DVR to record Late Night with Lily Singh for my Daughter who has worked with Lily in the past. I have watched several of Lilys shows. Not really my thing but I notice that it starts recording the last 30 seconds of Seth Myers show which is him saying bye to his last guest as the band kicks in, I love the song they play going out but I notice that since the band members are all quarantined in their homes we get to see 5 screens and all of the members look cool and like they fit together as a band EXCEPT for the female guitar players friggin kids. Leave the kids at home. nobody cares. we want to hear good music and see them musicians playing out to commercial. at first it was one rug rat in the frame, now i see another one distracting his mother from doing her job. Talk about ruining a vibe. I am a very visual person and as I am taking in all 5 screens as the band plays, I see one screen with bright neon colors and 2 kids bored out of their mind while their mom shows them off to the world. Show us some cool guitara or amps in the background and leave the kids in the other bedroom for the couple of minutes you are doing your job,

Being a band member myself, leave it to the Chic to screw everything up. ; ) Leave the kids out of the scene. DOnt bring kids to work. They screw everything up. Especially the visuals. Plus these kids look just bored as hell.

"Leave the kids at home"? Hey, they ARE at home.

Since you don't normally watch this show, maybe you don't know, but we have seen several band member's kids at various times, not to mention Seth's kids as well, and the guests'... also pets.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

"Leave the kids at home"? Hey, they ARE at home.

Since you don't normally watch this show, maybe you don't know, but we have seen several band member's kids at various times, not to mention Seth's kids as well, and the guests'... also pets.

I know they are all in their homes, or somebodys home. I guess Ill clarify my leave the kids at home line. Leave them out of the frame. not in the video unless they are perforing. Playing an instrument or dancing. something creative. I think it is just the last 3 months of watching TV shows from peoples homes with kids and dogs and birds. It was interesting for a little while but when my dad has GMA on and there are 4 reporters on the split screen and all 4 have dogs in their laps and 3 of the 4 are wrestling to keep the dogs under control while trying to tell us how we are all gonna die someday. Im ready to have the shows back in their studios. I have started watching Seth Meyers regularly. After recording Lily Singh I was seeing some interesting people on Seth Meyers show, so I record both shows now,

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Waldopepper said:

Leave them out of the frame. not in the video unless they are perforing. Playing an instrument or dancing. something creative.

I don’t think the young children of the at-home-for-pandemic performers should be included at all unless they are proficient enough at an instrument or other relevant skill that they would conceivably be included in non-pandemic shows —especially on national television where any creep can watch. 
My opinion on this is probably at the farthest end of caution, but it’s not Amateur Hour either.  
And assuming the reason the kids are being “included” (whether on Seth’s or Fallon’s shows, or on my friend’s YouTube story hour for preschoolers) is to make the show more relatable and interesting to the audience, the kids appearances would be way more fun (IMO) if they happened rarely and were unplanned. 

• Love 1
On 6/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, Waldopepper said:

DOnt bring kids to work.

Seth Kids are also featured. Her kids don’t always shut up but she is also living in an apartment in NYC, who the fuck knows what her current situation is with quarantine. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, grawlix said:

LOVED the Magical Door bit with Ethan Hawke!

Yes!

And the editors leaving in all the flubbed takes of the Reeboks joke. My favorite was the first one, Fury -> Furry. 😂

• Love 6

Jason Sudekis was a recent guest and they did a skit (from their own homes, of course) and both of Jason's kids and both of Seth's kids were in the skit.  I enjoyed this and I don't mind Seth's kids because they're one and done ... gone.  I stopped watching Jimmy Fallon expressly because of his little girls.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Jason Sudekis was a recent guest and they did a skit (from their own homes, of course) and both of Jason's kids and both of Seth's kids were in the skit.  I enjoyed this and I don't mind Seth's kids because they're one and done ... gone.  I stopped watching Jimmy Fallon expressly because of his little girls.

I think somebody must have talked to Fallon because they usually are just shown at the end now except for the obnoxious playing around with the thankyou letter writing music

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

I think somebody must have talked to Fallon because they usually are just shown at the end now except for the obnoxious playing around with the thankyou letter writing music

I used to love the Thank You Notes bit. I love cute kids too, but his entitled cute kids have ruined Fallon’s Thank You Notes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

That also seemed to coincide with the George Floyd protests and the late night shows taking a more serious turn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I noticed that, too. I was kind of drowsy and the change woke me up. But i'm glad he did it.

I'm not amused by the insults aimed at his dog the other day (by Andy Samberg) and I actually thought Seth didn't like it, either. He had the same demeanor during that part of the interview as when he was interviewing James Franco about the sexual misconduct allegations against him. I've never seen that look on Seth's face and that tone in his voice other than those two times.

The guests have been kind of boring this week, though, mostly. I couldn't even get through the Martin Short interview.

My insomnia isn't bad enough that I need to watch people blather about ABSOLUTELY nothing. At least make it a tiny bit thoughtful or funny or topical OR SOMETHING.

I also notice the band member with kids is now being shown without them in frame. I feel bad for her. I didn't think the kids were causing any trouble. I hope it's just coincidence that suddenly they're not there.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also notice the band member with kids is now being shown without them in frame. I feel bad for her. I didn't think the kids were causing any trouble. I hope it's just coincidence that suddenly they're not there.

I haven’t seen Seth’s show in a week or so, but, as a mother of 3 daughters and perhaps soon-to-be (?) grandmother, I was aghast to see the band member’s daughters lounging with bare legs on a late-night TV show viewed by millions for free. Same with Fallon’s daughters. So I am glad that for whatever ostensible reason, somebody put an end to it. 

I plan to catch up on Seth’s highlights on YouTube. 

• Love 1
On 7/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, possibilities said:

I'm not amused by the insults aimed at his dog the other day (by Andy Samberg) and I actually thought Seth didn't like it, either.

It’s literally a decade long bit they have doing dating back to SNL when Seth first got him and do even when not on the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 7/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, vb68 said:

Seth just made me grin ear to ear with the Church Lady and Dennis Miller impressions. 

His Church Lady was hilarious! And so appropriate for the news. 

I don’t know where Seth lives in relation to Rachel Maddow, but I would die laughing if she actually showed up (properly masked, of course) and said, “I’m going to need this camera, too.”

Jane Curtin is just ❤️❤️❤️

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, possibilities said:

I still don't like it. If they find it amusing, that's on them but I don't like it.

To clarify my point was not whether you liked it or not it was to point out how much Seth adores the bit because you suggest he didn’t.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, biakbiak said:

To clarify my point was not whether you liked it or not it was to point out how much Seth adores the bit because you suggest he didn’t.

Yes, I got that. Thanks. I guess Seth looking to me like he didn't like it was a sign he actually can act, despite his saying that he can't. Or I was just projecting.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Colbert's show hasn't really changed that much since he went back. The guests are still remote, there's still no audience.

Colbert’s doing it from a studio that looks like his office—really not that much different from his basement except that he has to commute in but doesn’t have to be his own camera operator. I’m imagining Seth is going to be on his stage set, which will feel qualitatively different. But maybe not? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

Colbert’s doing it from a studio that looks like his office—really not that much different from his basement except that he has to commute in but doesn’t have to be his own camera operator. I’m imagining Seth is going to be on his stage set, which will feel qualitatively different. But maybe not? 

Fallon may be my least favorite of the 3, but his show’s new socially-distanced Roots band —and just enough crew laughing for Fallon to be able to get the timing right— is working well for me.  
OTOH, Seth’s reading through his monologues without pausing has really disappointed me during the pandemic. I hope Seth gets his timing back too. 

On 8/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, ajsnaves said:

Depending on where he's been the last few months, he might be quarantined for 2 weeks after getting back to New York. Colbert had to do that after being SC.

He’s been in CT (the attic house) and on Martha’s Vineyard (sea captain’s house) so no need to quarantine. However, I imagine some of his staff might and even just moving back into the city and getting situated would be nice to do on a break.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Both Jimmy and Seth's shows are off at the end of August/beginning of September and come back the day after Labor Day. They've done it this way the past few years, so it's nothing unusual. Plus, I'm sure Seth and his crew are busy getting the studio ready. Will the 8G Band be back in studio, albeit social distanced, like The Roots?

I realized when I checked my listings and saw that Seth was back with new shows, how desperately I had missed his sensibility these past two weeks. The news just has such moral emptiness to it, and Seth's take on it can make me feel so much less depressed about everything.

Better production values in the studio, I suppose, and I got a kick out of him cracking up at himself. (He's got a great giggle!) I was just as glad the band was still remote; there's no "need" for them to be in the studio.

Maybe now HBO will let John Oliver out of his void...

• Love 6
10 hours ago, smittykins said:

i have to admit it was weird not to hear him mention City Harvest and signing off with “Stay safe; wash your hands, wear a mask, we love you” after A Closer Look(I watch on YouTube

I came here to say the same! That’s been one of my most grounding, heartwarming touchstones during this pandemic.

• Love 5