Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Why can't Seth have more "Ya Burnt"s and less "Closer Look"s?

No!!!

I love Closer Look...…...get rid of the jokes he can't tell segment...…….have not found any of them very funny

• Love 7
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Why can't Seth have more "Ya Burnt"s and less "Closer Look"s?

I watch mostly for Closer Look.  He gives a nice synopsis of the day's politics, admittedly with an emphasis on the negative, but it's better than sitting through hours of the major networks. 

I skip the bit where he translates today's lingo, and I skip the edited press conferences and debates where Seth asks all the questions.

He's my favorite late night host, by far.  He's so natural.

• Love 8

I  love "Jokes Seth Can't Tell"!!! It's my favorite thing-- I never get to hear lesbian humor on TV, and it's fun to get the inside baseball... er, softball... humor of my people some representation. I also like a Closer Look and Amber Says What? And, for reasons I won't even try to defend, I am a fan of casserole and popsicle schtick. I also like the generation gap object/photo identification exchange.

I FF Ya Burnt, the "press conferences," the stuff about translating what the youth are saying.

I think it's good the show has a mix of types of jokes and bits (like the drunk with a celebrity stuff, which I also usually FF). It broadens the appeal.

I have noticed that they are now putting some of the non-interview parts of the show elsewhere than the beginning, which means I can't just watch the monologue and opening segments and then delete an episode if I'm not interested in the interviewee. Clever, smart, and very bad for my sleep and time management issues.

I liked the Gloria S interview just fine. In general, I think Seth's interviews are mediocre. He rushes, he comes across very scripted, and a bit anxious to get through it. The other hosts are no doubt also working from a plan and watching the clock, but Seth isn't as good at faking it, so the whole exercise always feels tense to me, and like everyone is just hitting their marks and feeling distracted while they do it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ABay said:

No new show last night? My DVR recorded an older one from the day Trump sent Pelosi the long whiney letter.

I woke up during the DeNiro segment and was confused because I knew I'd seen it before.  Weird for a rerun on Thursday after new shows earlier in the week. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I think Seth may have been out sick or something. What a shame to not have his Closer Look when all the Lev Parnas dirt was dropping!

I think it was actually scheduled as a rerun at NBC’s site before Thursday, so I don’t think sick or sudden emergency is it.

• Useful 2

I appreciated tonight's (January 29, 2020) "Hey!" segment,
but I now want to be Karen's Audience Mom. I have 3 adult daughters of my own, but, like Karen with Animorphs, I never read my sister's set of Nancy Drew books because the covers were too scary. I feel you, Karen!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I got a kick out of the segment on old video games this week.  He has some talented animators on his staff -- or maybe animation has gotten easier. 

As an old fart who hasn't kept up with tech stuff, I'm amazed at what they're doing with photos and video on the late night shows. 

I figured all the good animators were working for TV, movies, commercials.  Guess not.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I got a kick out of the segment on old video games this week.  He has some talented animators on his staff -- or maybe animation has gotten easier. 

I could so relate to the putting on a fitted sheet one! It perfectly captured both the real life experience of making the bed and the hilarious cheesiness of 8-bit graphics.

Over on Seth’s YouTube channel there’s a compilation called The Women of Late Night in honor of International Women’s Day. I had not seen the Alabama abortion law sketch that it ends with, and it’s a powerful message.

• Love 5

The two Jimmys and Colbert have started at home mini episodes (Fallon and Colbert have aired on NBC and CBS, Kimmel just online).  Any word on Seth?

2 minutes ago, opus said:

2 minutes ago, opus said:

Edited by opus
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

In the “Closer Look” posted above, Sean says “we don’t know when we’re going to do shows again.”  

From variety.com/2020/tv/news/seth-meyers-closer-look-youtube-1203541023 :

Seth Meyers is jumping back in the pool with the other late-night hosts working to get content out to fans while the coronavirus epidemic makes traditional late-night shows difficult to produce.

NBC said Meyers will be recording new “Closer Look” segments from his home, and will release them via his program’s YouTube channel.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, opus said:

The visual and technical qualities seemed better here than the other late night guys I’ve seen.

I agree.  I don't know the technical terms, but Fallon's film has been kinda blurry, with a time delay.  Trevor Noah -- not too bad.

I like seeing where they live.  Trevor's "library" needs a lot more books.  That western room of Fallon's -- really interesting treatment on the walls -- looks like cowhide -- or like a cow exploded in there.  Meyers' hallway is as expected -- I'll bet the whole apartment is neat and tidy, despite having two young'uns.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

That western room of Fallon's -- really interesting treatment on the walls -- looks like cowhide -- or like a cow exploded in there.

I thought it was birch bark. 

8 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Meyers' hallway

I want to get a better look at the large painting behind and to his right (our left).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Meyers' hallway is as expected -- I'll bet the whole apartment is neat and tidy, despite having two young'uns.

Based on his IG they don’t seem to be in NYC and it looks like he has stairs behind him.

David Spade has an app with sound effects that he's been using to throw in some laughs, crickets, sirens, etc. It's meant to be funny but also surprisingly helps with rhythm/pacing so that everything's not just joke > silence.

It's one thing if the hosts are basically just riffing to camera, but reading monologue jokes off a piece of paper is awkward. At least Fallon's wife often gives a  quiet chuckle.

Bottom line, I'm grateful all of them are not only doing something but managing to make it entertaining!

• Love 9
23 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I agree.  I don't know the technical terms, but Fallon's film has been kinda blurry, with a time delay.  Trevor Noah -- not too bad.

I like seeing where they live.  Trevor's "library" needs a lot more books.  That western room of Fallon's -- really interesting treatment on the walls -- looks like cowhide -- or like a cow exploded in there.  Meyers' hallway is as expected -- I'll bet the whole apartment is neat and tidy, despite having two young'uns.

After that thing* in the lobby with his wife, it's a safe bet the co-op won't let him do the show there...

* Lobby baby

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, kib said:

Amber Ruffin is a freakin' genius.  This might be the single funniest home produced bit I've seen during the lock down by anyone.  Enjoy!

Amber Ruffin’s Easter Quarantine Parade

I came here to say the same exact thing.  It was lol funny.  Thanks for posting it KIB.  

I was a tiny bit not loving the John Oliver segment and I do love him.   they were laughing so much it was hard to follow.  Oh well, they were having a good time. 

• Love 4