Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Given how often Trump does or says something stupid or suspicious, I might go crazy if I hear that Law & Order "DUN DUN!" every time a new piece of evidence comes up against him. (But it's funny for now. LOL.)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

Given how often Trump does or says something stupid or suspicious, I might go crazy if I hear that Law & Order "DUN DUN!" every time a new piece of evidence comes up against him. (But it's funny for now. LOL.)

Yeah that could get very annoying very quickly, but if we could get Jack McCoy to handle any trials it would all be worth it...

• Love 2

Donald Trump, if you eliminate my hot cocoa treats, there will be HELL to pay! I will storm the White House.

*facepalms Trump's error in repeatedly saying cocoa instead of coca, which is a whooooole other thing*

• Love 1

I'm binge watching about a million episodes today that are on my DVR and I came to say how much I love Amber. She's just got such a vibrant personality! I love her in the jokes Seth can't tell bits the most, but she's great any time she's on.

• Love 9
(edited)

Agreed about Amber. She's killing it with the "What?" pieces.

Also worth commending was Meyers comments on Manchester.  One of the more eloquent statements put forward in the last 72 hours. 

[Note to Mod; I want to make clear the following comments are not intended to be political in nature per se , but an observation about a guest described by Meyers as a "friend of the show". Do with it what you feel is right]

John McCain's appearance struck me as kind of sad.  Here's a guy that knows how to do a talk show. He's got the entrance down pat right up to pointing to the band before he sits down. There's no reason he shouldn't have breezed through this appearance but it seems time has taken it's toll.  Rather than doing the country a solid in a long life of solids by offering his insight on current events, we got a trip in the wayback machine to the 70's when life was presumably simpler and everyone knew their place (so to speak).  It seemed Seth realized that at the same moment it hit me and from what I could tell, the studio audience. I suspect last night will be the last time we see him on the show which is kind of a shame in many ways.

Edited by kib
  • Love 3
(edited)

So...how exactly will not providing loan forgiveness, cutting after school care and teacher improvement funding supposed to help the economy? I am sure I missed the economics lesson that says that the economy improves when workers have more debt and need to pay for their child care. And I wonder if Mulvaney can confirm that food doesn't help academics by confirming he starved himself while he was in school.

I am so glad that those taxpayers in the multi-million dollar mansions and having all that net worth really need the compassion from the government, because you know we should be worried about how they will pay for their next yacht or luxury condo, and not worry about the families who are starving.  So somehow the metric of budget policy is whether or not the government will somehow pay back the taxes to taxpayers or it is considered "theft"?  What the hell?!  And seriously, I still have no idea how come hard line Tea Partiers are allowed to work in government, I mean their whole purpose is to do away with government right?

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
  • Love 1

Could someone please reassure me that Hillary Clinton is keeping a personal diary right now, that will be published at some point? I'm working towards being a modern history teacher, and that would be a piece of primary source evidence that would help maintain student interest.
:: big innocent eyes ::

53 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

Seth Myers should have the earlier late night slot.

It won't happen for a minimum of 10 years unless Jimmy has a huge controversy. They talked about it when they both started Tonight/Late Night how they were both 40 and plan to stay in those same slots for many many years. 

• Love 1
On 5/24/2017 at 10:19 PM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

So...how exactly will not providing loan forgiveness, cutting after school care and teacher improvement funding supposed to help the economy? I am sure I missed the economics lesson that says that the economy improves when workers have more debt and need to pay for their child care. And I wonder if Mulvaney can confirm that food doesn't help academics by confirming he starved himself while he was in school.

I am so glad that those taxpayers in the multi-million dollar mansions and having all that net worth really need the compassion from the government, because you know we should be worried about how they will pay for their next yacht or luxury condo, and not worry about the families who are starving.  So somehow the metric of budget policy is whether or not the government will somehow pay back the taxes to taxpayers or it is considered "theft"?  What the hell?!  And seriously, I still have no idea how come hard line Tea Partiers are allowed to work in government, I mean their whole purpose is to do away with government right?

I don't understand how Mulvaney can say not paying the taxes back to the taxpayer is theft?  Isn't that money used to fund government services, some Ed all use, like defense and infrastructure and some maybe we don't use yet but probably will in the future like Medicare and social security and some that only gets used if you are on the poor side of the income scale, like snap and child care.  No one gets their taxes paid back in cash.

23 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I don't understand how Mulvaney can say not paying the taxes back to the taxpayer is theft?  Isn't that money used to fund government services, some Ed all use, like defense and infrastructure and some maybe we don't use yet but probably will in the future like Medicare and social security and some that only gets used if you are on the poor side of the income scale, like snap and child care.  No one gets their taxes paid back in cash.

Well because conservatives seem to forget all the utility infrastructures etc that are government funded (not to mention tax subsidies for various businesses) that everyone uses as they grow up.  Of course now they just use their own helicopters to travel to private buildings so they can now claim to no longer even need roads.  Of course they probably drill and refine their own oil.

It's brilliant comedy and real life tragedy. I just got stood up for a job interview (seriously, two hours waiting with Skype open) and now I realise that even if they had offered me a job on the spot, Trump has the nuclear codes. Puts everything into very depressing perspective.
PS Getting Trump back into the Paris Accords is simple. Just get a scientist to work out how long it will take for Mar-A-Largo to go underwater if he doesn't.

• Love 1

It's brilliant comedy and real life tragedy. I just got stood up for a job interview (seriously, two hours waiting with Skype open) and now I realise that even if they had offered me a job on the spot, Trump has the nuclear codes. Puts everything into very depressing perspective.
PS Getting Trump back into the Paris Accords is simple. Just get a scientist to work out how long it will take for Mar-A-Largo to go underwater if he doesn't.

Oops. Just put "mar a Lago under water" into DuckDuckGo and people have already worked it out. Quite a lot of people!

I watch at least the first half every week. I enjoy all his bits, more so than some of Colbert’s. His Closer Looks are as good as ever, but a bit too political to discuss much. The Jokes Seth Can’t Tell are good, though I didn’t get the last joke on the recent one this week. 

• Love 5

Jokes Seth Can't Tell is my favorite thing. But pretty much all his stuff is political, so it's hard to talk about it here.

I think he's not a very good interviewer-- he's too obviously rushing from one question to the next and is bad at faking the spontaneity that makes these things seem relaxed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

But pretty much all his stuff is political, so it's hard to talk about it here.

That's a decent point, but Stephen Colbert is just as political, and his board stays fairly active here.

My favorite (non political) bits are Ya Burnt and the Jorbus video game system.

• Love 2

Meyers still doesn't get the attention he deserves. Colbert - who I personally like, though I find an awful lot of his CBS stuff way too corny for my taste - sucks up a lot of the oxygen in the room; however, it's Meyers who is actually giving us Daily Show-caliber material night after night.

• Love 15

Colbert is the venting cathartic emotional version, Meyers is the analytic, informative, cutting through the crap one. Also, to be fair, Colbert had a reputation based on his previous show, thus a built in audience who go to him looking for what he's doing. Meyers was known for Weekend Update on SNL, but that was more of a mix of jokes and not the same kind of relentless political hammering that the Colbert Report was doing-- his built in audience was surely less uniformly political junkies like Colbert's was, and more of a mixed group who may or may not have followed him to his new show because SNL watchers are watching an ensemble and have varied interests, where Colbert Report watchers were pretty much there for Colbert's particular gifts and that's that.

I would not have known about or gone looking to Meyers for A Closer Look if I hadn't been pointed there after some of them went viral. And Late Night with Seth Meyers is an hour later at night than The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, which also cuts the likelihood of checking it out randomly.

Also, Colbert is much more of a showman. I love what Meyers is doing, and I watch it every night, so this is not meant as a criticism. I just think as a matter of reality, it's easier to attract an audience if you do the same thing consistently for a long time, are flashy about it, and are tapping the emotions the way Colbert does.

I think Meyers is terrific. I like his anger, I think he's gutsy a way Colbert isn't-- Colbert can be shocking in "speaking truth to power" or saying "The Emperor is an Asshole" but Meyers is more hard hitting on the details; he kind of tells you what to say when you get done expressing your disgust and need to actually make an argument.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Also, Colbert is much more of a showman. I love what Meyers is doing, and I watch it every night, so this is not meant as a criticism. I just think as a matter of reality, it's easier to attract an audience if you do the same thing consistently for a long time, are flashy about it, and are tapping the emotions the way Colbert does.

ITA.  Meyers does his entire show sitting behind his desk.  All of his bits are done there, and without many, if any, props.  In this respect, I find it more cerebral and I have to pay attention more because I really have to listen to the words.  I admittedly tend to watch a week's worth of shows all at once one day over the weekend (I usually skip the interview unless its someone I'm particularly interested in seeing).  Colbert does a lot of 'acting type' bits and uses more props, so often times, I don't have to pay as much attention (and I don't care for all of his bits, so I can zone out or do other things while those are going on).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Tosia said:

Myers' family was awesome. His dad is hsndsome and his mom has great legs. They seem like fun folka who can laugh at themselves. 

Ashe was so adorable bopping to Beyonce!

Congratulations to Seth and Alexi.

• Love 3

Seth's Thanksgiving show with his family is my favorite episode of the year, every year.  They reveal so many sweet and funny things about themselves and their family that makes me wish I was part of their family.  I love how close they are with each other and enjoy being together.  I'll bet holidays at the Meyers house is always full of love and fun.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't know how, but I missed the show & I'm kicking myself.  Is there any place I can watch it?

If you have OnDemand, you could watch it there.  I was going to suggest the NBC website as well.  I, too, think it's sweet that Seth wants a brother for Ash.  Do we know if it's Ash or Ashe?  I just hope they don't name him Arthur!  HAHAHA   I love that Seth is a crier!  I really like him. 

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't know how, but I missed the show & I'm kicking myself.  Is there any place I can watch it?

They usually put quite a few clips on the YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/LateNightSeth/videos). Usually day-of/day-after it's just a couple segments from the most recent show; but they always circle back and add a bunch more within another day.

Edited by CaliCheeseSucks
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2017 at 11:21 PM, possibilities said:

Jokes Seth Can't Tell is my favorite thing. But pretty much all his stuff is political, so it's hard to talk about it here.

I think he's not a very good interviewer-- he's too obviously rushing from one question to the next and is bad at faking the spontaneity that makes these things seem relaxed.

I really enjoy his Closer Look bits and his monologues are decent, but he really needs to work on his interview skills. Besides rushing through the preplanned questions and ending any potential for interesting sidebars from the guests, he also sometimes talks right over them. 

A lot of the extra bits don't work for me, especially the fake slang bits (so incredibly unfunny) and basically any time he brings the writers out to be onscreen. Some shows have great success with correspondents (most notably The Daily Show, which has spawned more new talent than I can count), but these writers are just not funny onscreen. The delivery is painful and forced and I end up fast forwarding through the whole segment.

So I typically watch the opening of the show through the Closer Look, FF through the extras and only watch the interviews when it's someone I actually want to see, but even then, the bad interviewing makes it less fun. 

I'd like to see him move away from the late night hosting gig and into a show more like The Daily Show, where it's 90% political commentary and 10% other stuff. There's unfortunately enough bullshit going on day to day to justify even more political satire shows. 

• Love 5

I think Amber is funny, so I don't 100% agree about the writers on screen being a waste. But I also ff through a lot of the other non-political bits. I hate it when he puts on the Mr Rogers sweater and holds a pipe, and when he does Ya Burnt or the slang stuff or dog shaming or puts a writer in the audience to interrupt him. I just don't enjoy that stuff, but I figure it's funny to someone, since they keep doing it.

Sometimes I'm actually grateful when I'm not interested in the interviewee, and I can just watch the opening and move on without FOMO. There's way too much going on these days, and I have trouble prioritizing, so if Seth wants to bore me a little, it frees me up to watch something else after picking up the parts of the show I like, without having to have an internal debate with myself about whether to bother.

That's weird, I know. "Thanks for a lot of your show not being interesting or funny to me!" But that's where I'm at lately.

• Love 3