Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Seth going day drinking with his mom is also a big favorite.   You just know he grew up trying to make his mom laugh--their whole family dynamic is so funny.

• Love 3

I re-watched it this morning and am still laughing about Seth's suggestions for new Republican introductory songs.

Leslie was likely booked a while ago for tonight, but it was timely and I'm glad she got a chance to address her recent Twitter controversy.

• Love 3
On 6/15/2016 at 5:57 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Collapsing in fake laughter is Jimmy Fallon's thing .... & I quit watching him for that reason.  I don't think caffeination is his problem though.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:50 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I don't know when it happened, but Seth Meyers has turned into my favorite late night host.  I think it's because he is KILLING IT with his political stuff, and is doing it better than anyone else in the game right now, including The Daily Show.  In particular, his "A Closer Look" segments have been fantastic.  The Trump stuff recently is just the cherry on the sundae. 

I don't even understand how these two are on the same late night schedule sometimes. It's basically a case of The Idiot and The Smart Guy.

I'd compare it to Leno/Letterman or Leno/Conan, except Leno was a smart guy ACTING like a dumb guy to stay on top. Fallon, I usually wind up thinking, really IS a dumb guy.

Myers show sucked really bad early on. Thankfully that changed. And its time period is still inconvenient for me. But I do watch every single "A Closer Look" segment he does now. Every last one. 

• Love 2

I love A Closer Look. I wish I could subscribe to just that segment. But I also love Leslie Jones, so I watched the whole show this time. Ya Burnt is OK, but not something I'd go out of my way for, and I always find the cooking segments to be completely useless. I love to cook but I just don't get anything out of these late night cooking segments.

It seems to me that Colbert/Meyers would make a congruent line up, as would Fallon/Corden. But maybe the networks deliberately have chosen to each take one "goofball show of pure entertainment" and one "slightly nerdy entertainment/politics hybrid" to attract both kinds of audiences.

• Love 2

I mean, I enjoy Seth's topical/political satire a lot, but I just might be able to watch Jokes Seth Can't Tell on a constant loop.

Have the two writers always been the same women? I should pay more attention.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, lordonia said:

I mean, I enjoy Seth's topical/political satire a lot, but I just might be able to watch Jokes Seth Can't Tell on a constant loop.

Have the two writers always been the same women? I should pay more attention.

They are; it's Amber Ruffin and Jenny Hagel.

• Love 1

Seth has really been on fire after the Olympics (well, and he was before).  I mentioned it in a different thread, but I'll say it again - it's too bad that to be a late night host he had to stay in the NBC family, because he would've been a perfect Daily Show host.  He and Trevor Noah should really switch gigs.  

• Love 4

I'm really enjoying the "Jokes Seth Can't Tell" also. I thought it was going to be terrible, but it's awesome. It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

The show in general has really been enjoyable for me lately. I've started watching even when I don't care about the guest one way or the other.

I don't think Seth is the greatest interviewer. He always seems to be rushing to ask the next question, and his manner doesn't even try to pretend not to be scripted. I don't mind too much, because he does get interesting guests. But it's kind of funny to me that he doesn't even try. It's like his decision to just sit down at the desk. Again, I don't mind, but it's amusing to me how he's so relaxed about how unrelaxed he is, and has decided to embrace his limitations and not try to overcome, hide, or apologize for them. Why not, right? As long as the writing is good! I like that NBC lets him do it his way.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

Great show on Friday with the segment at Howard. I rewound a couple times to watch the shocked faces when Mrs. Obama walked in. Kids thought they were getting a chat with goofball Seth Meyers! Then Mrs. Obama telling Seth his advice was very bad. But funny! A variety of Skittle colors is important in a diet.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 8
On 9/10/2016 at 5:47 PM, possibilities said:

Michelle Obama is a gift. Can you imagine how those kids felt when she walked in the door-- and hugged them??

Then she said "hi it's mom" when they were role playing. I just can't. I would have died. I want her to be my mom.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Then she said "hi it's mom" when they were role playing. I just can't. I would have died. I want her to be my mom.

Now I'm going to watch it again just to put myself in a good mood!

(And this clip should have been promoted on the PT.v home page instead of Bill Hader, seriously.)

If there were any two episodes that showed the canaverous divide between The Tonight Show and Late Night, it was last nights episodes. Seth takes on Wells Fargo and asks Bernie Sanders excellent, pointed questions about the election and Fallon fucking ruffles Trumps's hair and called Trump's friendship with Putin "a bromance".  Seth has been NAILING everything this election season. I know he missed a nomination at this years Emmys, but I hope he gets recognized next year. I haven't been this happy with political coverage since The Colbert Report. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
Typo
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

If there were any two episodes that showed the canaverous divide between The Tonight Show and Late Night, it was last nights episodes. Seth takes on Wells Fargo and asks Bernie Sanders excellent, pointed questions about the election and Fallon fucking ruffles Trumps's hair and called Trump's friendship with Putin "a bromance".  Seth has been NAILING everything this election season. I know he missed a nomination at this years Emmys, but I hope he gets recognized next year. I haven't been this happy with political coverage since The Colbert Report. 

I wasn't that impressed by Seth at the beginning, but he's more than made up for it this past year. I know he's probably got that SNL loyalty to Fallon, and likely would never point out the differences himself, but really the difference between the two has indeed turned out to be gigantic.

I think we've gotten a kind of reversal going on between the networks. Not that Colbert is what he used to be (and certainly not "Letterman smart") but there are at least attempts at politics and relevance.  But then at 12:35, Corden pretty much turns into CBS's version of Jimmy Fallon, with viral bits and nothing but ass kissing. Meanwhile on NBC, Fallon is as fully dumb and inane as anyone would expect of Leno's true heir, but then at 12:35, Meyers is the smart one opposite the dumb one on CBS...

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Seth takes on Wells Fargo and asks Bernie Sanders excellent, pointed questions about the election ...

I was a little put off about Sanders criticizing the Democrats again when he left the party, just like he joined it, in a hot minute. I don't need to hear him still kvetching about how he should be the nominee. I don't like how Seth sucks up to him as a "good friend of the show." Pfft.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Unfortunately the Late Night nominations are less dependent on quality than perhaps any other category and have only gotten more arbitrary in recent years as they are now a mix of shows that were great in the past and may or may not be great this season and shows that get a lot of internet hits. So there are a number of shows that are doing good work and getting great reviews that are pretty much waiting for Carpool Karaoke to run its course and Jerry Seinfeld to get bored since Kimmel, Fallon, John Oliver and Maher have pretty much automatic nominations unless they get caught in a Bill Cosby type situation (and of course John Oliver is doing Emmy worthy work most every week and is a lock under any system I can think of).

• Love 1

I saw that Seth released his A Closer Look Trump birther piece before the show even aired last night. I'm running out of adjectives to describe how excellent those pieces are. This might have been the best one yet, and I think you could even see flashes of how angry he was over all of it. Loved it. I feel like I will be quoting "Fuck you exclamation point" a lot in the next month or so. 

• Love 13

During the expletive-laden rant segments, I always wonder about the decision to have the narrator take over rather than have Seth deliver the material. It is funnier that way but goes to a meta place when Seth mouths the narrator's words. I can't think offhand of any recurring bits that I don't like, but I do enjoy this one.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I saw that Seth released his A Closer Look Trump birther piece before the show even aired last night. I'm running out of adjectives to describe how excellent those pieces are. This might have been the best one yet, and I think you could even see flashes of how angry he was over all of it. Loved it. I feel like I will be quoting "Fuck you exclamation point" a lot in the next month or so. 

You kiss your wife with that mouth, Seth?

Ya know what I REALLY wanna see? I want there to be a balcony of sorts in the theater and have like Statler and Waldorf wanna-be's up there to heckle him! Granted, I'm Independent, not Republican but I would SO volunteer along with my friend!

STATLER: Poor Seth. I'm not sure weather to laugh or feel sorry for him.

WALDORF: He was trying to make you laugh!

STATLER: I feel sorry for him!

BOTH: Doh-ho-ho-ho!

STATLER: I think I'll go see a dentist.

WALDORF: Now?

STATLER: Sure, after that bit, nothing hurts!

STATLER: Well, after that bit, I think I've finally figured out what's wrong with this show.

WALDORF: What is it?

STATLER: It's the theater.

WALDPRF: What's wrong with it?

STATLER: The seats face the stage!

WALDPRF: What WAS that?

STATLER: That was called a 'Medium' bit.

WALDORF: Medium bit?

STATLER: Well, it wasn't rare, and it certainly wasn't well done!

WALDORF: Tell me, Statler, do you GET 'A Closer Look'?

STATLER: No, I get the New York Post and the National Enquirer.

WALDORF (shaking head): Sorry I asked.

(you can dish it, Seth, but can you take it?)

Edited by SpikeGal

I wish Seth would stop doing fat jokes about Chris Christie. There's nothing new or interesting in the fat jokes, we've heard them all before, they're not funny, and they obscure the much more serious problems with Christie that I'd rather see Seth focus on.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SpikeGal said:

And que surprise, Seth is doing ANOTHER A Closer Look  tonight.

Gee...I wonder whose side he's gonna end up taking?

Any reason he shouldn't?  He's not a journalist. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Any reason he shouldn't?  He's not a journalist. 

Then why is he trying to make himself out to be? Someone PLEASE tell him he's supposed to be a LATE NIGHT COMEDIAN. So start trying to make people laugh again!

This is NOT The Daily Show, it's Late Night. Bring it back to the way it was when Jimmy hosted and Conan before him. Go back to your funny sketches like Ven Diagrams and Ya Burnt.

If ya wanna have a signature thing, that's fine. But do it once a week, not every single night! Jay Leno had Headlines, but he did it every Monday, and Jimmy had Thank You Notes but he does them every Friday. Once A Week!

Edited by SpikeGal
On 9/28/2016 at 7:23 AM, SpikeGal said:

Then why is he trying to make himself out to be? Someone PLEASE tell him he's supposed to be a LATE NIGHT COMEDIAN. So start trying to make people laugh again!

This is NOT The Daily Show, it's Late Night. Bring it back to the way it was when Jimmy hosted and Conan before him. Go back to your funny sketches like Ven Diagrams and Ya Burnt.

If ya wanna have a signature thing, that's fine. But do it once a week, not every single night! Jay Leno had Headlines, but he did it every Monday, and Jimmy had Thank You Notes but he does them every Friday. Once A Week!

Why shouldn't Seth try to be the successor to The Daily Show? Noah took an iconic show straight into irrelevance in an election year. Colbert is barely a factor, Fallon is a suck-up, and Kimmel is only intermittenly ballsy. Seth is rightfully becoming the new Jon Stewart and many people are grateful for it. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Why shouldn't Seth try to be the successor to The Daily Show? Noah took an iconic show straight into irrelevance in an election year. Colbert is barely a factor, Fallon is a suck-up, and Kimmel is only intermittenly ballsy. Seth is rightfully becoming the new Jon Stewart and many people are grateful for it. 

I'm not. I wanna see late night talk shows to relax and unwind before going to bed. Especially if I've had a super busy day at work. I wanna forget my problems and have some unbiased laughs! That's why I hardly ever watch Seth anymore. Onl;y when he has some stuff I like on like Ven Diagrams and Ya Burnt. But those are becoming few and far between.

I heard that Noah is doing such a bad job on The Daily Show that Comedy Central is considering canning him next year. Maybe this is a good time for Seth to put in his resume? I think he WOULD be better off on The Daily Show.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central retired TDS entirely, given they already surrendered the 11:30 slot by cancelling Wilmore and shifting @midnight there. They made a huge (yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge) mistake giving Noah that chair, on top of leaving a two-month gap between Stewart's exit and Noah's debut. Gave lots of people a long window of time to form new habits at eleven. 

• Love 2

I was curious and looked up the NY Times article that was referenced in the "conservative perspective" skit. It's about how the prevalence of left-leaning late night shows might negatively affect Hillary and Democrats in general. The phrase "Seth Meyers’s class-clown liberalism" is the only time he's mentioned in the piece.

Edited by lordonia
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

I was curious and looked up the NY Times article that was referenced in the "conservative perspective" skit. It's about how the prevalence of left-leaning late night shows might negatively affect Hillary and Democrats in general. The phrase "Seth Meyers’s class-clown liberalism" is the only time he's mentioned in the piece.

WALDORF: Hey, look, Statler! The New York Times actually called Seth Meyers a class-clown Liberal!

STATLER: Yep! They finally got something right!

BOTH: Doh-ho-ho-ho!!

On 9/30/2016 at 0:24 AM, CaliCheeseSucks said:

I like Trevor Noah and wish more people would give him a chance. I do think Seth Myers is filling the Jon Stewart void though. When he first took over The Late Show, he tried to be more straight up goofy comedy and it just didn't work for him. Going back to his strong suit (Weekend Update style) works much better for him. A Closer Look segments are funny and informative, they are must-watch for me.

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 14

Seth's writing style is a combination of goofy and whip smart. I've seen him address the writing process on SNL and his other projects and he's really quite smart and thoughtful. This election has brought out the best in him. I liked the show from the beginning, but I''m a big fan of his anyway and LOVED the Seth Reads the News Alone era of SNL.

• Love 6

I thought a couple of the pre-taped segments were good, like the review of monuments and Seth's visit to the Secretary of Defense, but the week overall felt like it could have been back in the studio. They weren't bad shows, but I guess I expected more excitement and pizazz from being remote for the first time.

The sight gag of the TRUMP foxhole made me cough-laugh.

Edited by lordonia

Really enjoyed the Pentagon segment, hope he does more pre taped stuff when the show gets back to New York.

But, Seth, you have SNL cronie Al Franken on and you only speak to him for a couple of minutes?

• Love 2

I'm not Shorty but it's m' birthday and the show was kind enough to provide another segment of Jokes Seth Can't Tell. Sw-eet!

I love when the audience groans (although I joined them on the vampire lesbian menstruation). And of course the last joke that Seth always tries and fails.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

Happy Birthday, Lordonia!

I love "Jokes Seth Can't Tell" but this time it seemed like both women were sitting halfway out of frame. Did everyone see it that way, or is my TV off kilter?

Missed tonight's show because we had a power outage. Will try to catch it in Hulu tomorrow if I can find the time. Was it good?

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Missed tonight's show because we had a power outage. Will try to catch it in Hulu tomorrow if I can find the time. Was it good?

Always! :)

Some funny jokes about birthday greetings on Hillary's Facebook wall. His Closer Look segment was about the fractures in the Republican party spurred by Trump.

Ina Garten was a guest and it's always fun for Seth to cook.

• Love 1

Seth does such a great job with his closer looks, like his recent one on Obamacare that was much better than TDS/Trevor Noah.  Plus, I loved how he showed Trump is essentially using this presidential campaign for free media coverage for his hotels, resorts and other businesses.  He's such a con man.

• Love 5

I've never heard Kate Beckinsale's natural accent before, and it's gorgeous. But man, I've noticed some British actors speak as if they're the energizer bunny. So glad I had my closed captions on, otherwise I wouldn't have known a good third of what she was saying.  And also? She looks FREAKING! Amazing! Does she drink the blood of young virgins or something?

Seth is my top favorite, along with Sam Bee, to provide the smart, cutting, funny comments and give me the outrage that I need with Jon Stewart gone. I know, I know, Jon wasn't loved by everyone, and many thought he wasn't that great in the last few years, but I'm not one of them. I still miss him and keep thinking how he would do his show during the election, along with Larry Wilmore.

BUT, I love Seth's A Closer Look, and his interviews. Now I'm sad that I didn't watch SNL or his Weekend Updates when he was there.

• Love 2