Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I skip Tiny Voice due to personal Trump overload but enjoy the fake news conference bits despite them being political and the same type of silliness. Go figure.

My favorite recurring segment these days is "whenever Amber is on." I'm also happy to see Ya Burnt, Seth goes on a tirade, Jokes Seth Can't Tell, and Popsicle Schtick. Any remote segments out of the studio like Seth going day drinking are rare treats.

I wish he'd do more personal storytelling at the start of the show like Letterman used to. Alexi can't have a baby in the lobby every week, but I'm sure he could come up with some anecdotes. He's good at it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, opus said:
On 11/4/2018 at 7:05 PM, ahisma said:

On the one hand, I'm sorry it was painful/difficult for him to talk. On the other hand, I found his Seth-with-a-cold voice very sexy. *conflicted*

I have responses to that, but due to me being a straight white male would be difficult for me to say :)

”Jokes Opus Can't Tell”? We need Amber over here. :-)

• Love 4

I'm a little behind, but I thought the interviews with Lenny Kravitz and Anthony Atamanuik the other night were great. Usually I think Seth is, at best, a mediocre interviewer. But both of those were really fun. And I really had no interest in Kravitz or Atamanuik ahead of time, so it was a pleasant surprise.

• Love 2

Political commentary from either Late Night with Seth Meyers or any related PTV editorial piece is fine to be discussed in this forum.

However, posts that contain personal political views will be subject to moderation.

This directive is purposely broad because anytime hard lines are drawn in the sand and/or examples are given, some will use it as an opportunity to walk too close to the line, or even put a toe over it.

Please remember, mods are only human, and sometimes stuff will slip through the net. So if you see a post that violates the above, please do not respond - use the report button.

If you have a question on any of this, please PM your moderator @frenchtoast

Thanks.

• Love 1

Amber has pilot presentation at NBC:

"Ruffin will star in, write and executive produce the single-camera comedy. She plays the fluff piece-loving editor of the Benson Village Gazette, covering her idyllic hometown. But when the newspaper owners hire a reporter who’s looking to uncover a juicy story in Benson, he threatens to unravel the happy denial Amber has been living in."

She had been writing for Detroiters while still on staff at Late Night, but if this series is picked up, that's ultimately the end of her here. Which we could all see coming, with her high profile Late Night segments getting more widespread attention. I of course wish her the best in life and career, but I'll miss her a lot if she goes.

• Love 7

White Savior with Amber and Seth was AWESOME. 

Such a tiresome formula to make white people feel good,  while limiting roles and dignity of people of color.  

Loved Amber in the period hair and clothes. 

Genius. 

Seth is so likable. 

His interview with Glenda Jackson was sweet and thorny. ...like her. 

John Oliver is always wonderful and I loved the short and perfect audience interaction, as did Seth. 

• Love 12

So I'm watching the show here last night in Phoenix (Mountain time zone) and Christina Hendricks is the guest.  Seth brings it up that Hendricks had a little trouble earlier in the day on another show.  She says 'yes', that during an appearance on "Live with Kelly Lee and Regis" (or whatever they are calling it these days) ABC News broke into programming with a special report on the Michael Cohen hearings right in the middle of her segment.

Seth rolls tape, and sure enough, the ABC News "Special Report" bumper rolls just as Hendricks is about to promote her show "Bad Girls".  Everyone seems to get a kick out of that and Seth's interview moves on.  Just as she's about to talk about her show, *BANG* up pops the NBC News "Special Report" graphic.  OK, that's pretty funny. Nice job Seth.

Turns out it was NBC News breaking into programming to cover Trump's news conference live after the failed North Korean arms talks. 

Edited by kib
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, kib said:

So I'm watching the show here last night in Phoenix (Mountain time zone) and Christina Hendricks is the guest.  Seth brings it up that Hendricks had a little trouble earlier in the day on another show.  She says 'yes', that during an appearance on "Live with Kelly Lee and Regis" (or whatever they are calling it these days) ABC News broke into programming with a special report on the Michael Cohen hearings right in the middle of her segment.

Seth rolls tape, and sure enough, the ABC News "Special Report" bumper rolls just as Hendricks is about to promote her show "Bad Girls".  Everyone seems to get a kick out of that and Seth's interview moves on.  Just as she's about to talk about her show, *BANG* up pops the NBC News "Special Report" graphic.  OK, that's pretty funny. Nice job Seth.

Turns out it was NBC News breaking into programming to cover Trump's news conference live after the failed North Korean arms talks. 

Nice.

And tonight Seth showed the clip again of talking about what happened on the morning show, and then showed her being interrupted again on his show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have been laughing OUT LOUD at A Closer Look lately, which looks weird because I'm at work watching on my phone.

"President Nnnanananananana," "A gossipy alligator."  Good stuff, Seth.

• Love 6

Last nights show with “John McCains daughter” is mentioned on The View forum in appreciation of the smackdown/schooling Seth gave to her.  Loved it and hope it shows up on YouTube.  Thanks Seth ❣️

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Thanks for posting this segment of the show sum.  I am not tech savvy enough to know how, but I am going to post that it is here on The View forum.  Hope my post there doesn’t get deleted, they are very strict over there 😬

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

Thanks for posting this segment of the show sum.  I am not tech savvy enough to know how, but I am going to post that it is here on The View forum.  Hope my post there doesn’t get deleted, they are very strict over there 😬

It's posted in Meghan's thread over there along with the discussion about her behavior and her husband's response to it all this morning.

• Love 3

Lena Dunham,  you are a very talented and funny lady.  But Please get a hairstyle that you don’t have to be touching almost constantly.  Your pushing your hair back was so distracting I could hardly pay attention to your comments.  Maybe a touch of hairspray?  I have to admit this is a pet peeve of mine.  So many talk show female guests do this but not to this extent.  Nerves maybe?

• Love 2

I watched the episode from (I think) last night because I love Seth and Amy Poehler together, but I was really moved by Dr. Ruth and her discussion about the documentary on her and about the climate of hatred and about the Holocaust. I always forget how sharp and funny she is. 

• Love 12

I found Seth’s interview with Democratic nominee Michael Bennett very entertaining. Seth really allows his guests to show their humor and vulnerability. Bennett seemed charming and witty and seemed more comfortable than in other interviews.

• Love 6
On 11/26/2018 at 10:42 AM, cpcathy said:

"Back in My Day" was the best--"Back in my day, shut up." "Back in my day, YOU shut up."

Hilarious! It's easy to see where Seth got his comedy chops.

I loved his jokes about Billy Joel from a couple of weeks ago - 

"Today is Billy Joel's 70th birthday. His party will be at 9 o'clock on a Saturday."

"That's right, today is Billy Joel's 70th birthday, which means he's finally old enough to be MOVIN' OUT!!!"

😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

This is a few days old, but I'm just catching up.

I enjoy the "Casserole" segment, and I thought Robert Frost sung by a "high school scream band" was hysterical.

I expected the "roomba secrets" to involve things found under the bed or otherwise sucked up from the carpet, though.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Seth getting wasted with Rhinna is crazy awesome!

More awesome is being given a taping day off by NBC and being PAID to go drink with Rhianna 😃

• Love 3
(edited)

The Day Drinking segments are nothing but hilarity! I adore them so much, because I laugh so hard!! They make me wish I could day drink with Seth, though I'm nowhere near as fascinating as the guests he drinks with.

Edited by Kindred Spirit
To excise unnecessary hyphens
  • Love 6
(edited)

Day drinking with Kelly Clarkson is my favorite since she was so giddy and up for anything.

Has anybody gone to Seth's comedy shows? I'm curious what his standup is like.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

Day drinking with Kelly Clarkson is my favorite since she was so giddy and up for anything.

Absolutely my favorite, too! Partly because they got so drunk, and partly due to the hollering at the end. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 6:22 AM, biakbiak said:

Seth getting wasted with Rhinna is crazy awesome!

And Rih Rih rarely does interviews anymore. I imagine that knowing alcohol would be involved made saying 'yes' to this a no-brainer for her, lol.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • LOL 2

I don’t watch the show as broadcast, but always check out the YouTube clips when they are posted. I have to say that the Go Back to Your Country Girls segment is one of the best things I have seen in years! 

• Love 10

That was Amber singing the popsicle shtick Single Lady and Annie songs, right?

Fun segment, if only for Seth's explanations and exasperation. Not a comedy writer, but as a viewer: "Huh. That's a lot of burning."

• Love 3

I really like the segments where Seth shows pictures of objects and people from the r cent ( to me) past and asks 25 year old staffer, Karen to identify them. They have great  chemistry and she is just delightful.  Seth really allows his staff members to shine.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Caseysgirl said:

I really like the segments where Seth shows pictures of objects and people from the r cent ( to me) past and asks 25 year old staffer, Karen to identify them.

I happened on a You Tube channel recently that tests the knowledge of kids and adults about current vs older music, movies, etc. Here's one with teens trying to identify their grandparents' favorite songs. It's cute.

• LOL 1
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'll probably check it out because I like Seth, but if it's anything like the trailer, I'm not interested.

Everything I have read it’s a standup set so nothing like the commercial.

• Love 3

It's so interesting to see how our image of an actor (or any talk show guest) fits with the personality they reveal on the show.  Like Willem Defoe.  I'd expect him to be reticent and surly, but he was a goofy delight.  And they talked about his teeth!  That almost never happens -- the host and guest talking about a physical attribute.

Katherine Hahn was fun last night too (Mrs. Fletcher moving coming out).  She was instantly familiar but I looked at her IMdB list and I've seen nothing that she's been in.  How odd. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

It's so interesting to see how our image of an actor (or any talk show guest) fits with the personality they reveal on the show.  Like Willem Defoe.  I'd expect him to be reticent and surly, but he was a goofy delight.  And they talked about his teeth!  That almost never happens -- the host and guest talking about a physical attribute.

His interview was great. He seems like a great raconteur. ☺

• Love 2
4 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, except for that ugly outfit

That was also my first reaction to the baggy belted jumpsuit, but once she started dancing in it I realized it was perfect for a woman of a certain age to cut loose in.
And I loved her hair styling. 

• Love 1

I watched Seth's comedy special on Netflix and enjoyed it a lot. You can see why he  and John Mulaney are comedy collaborators and friends because their stand-up styles are very similar. Not that I have to convince you guys. 😍

At one point in the show Seth discusses a bit of politics and there's a link option to "Skip Politics" similar to the "Skip Intro" feature.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Gloria Steinem was really disappointing on the show last night ... in every way!!!

Oh good.  I can FF through her segment.

Seems to be a thing with some of the celebrity "legends".  They think their presence is enough, that they don't have to inform or entertain.  The older they get, the longer it takes them to sit down while milking the audience for applause.  You can almost tell if a guest is going to be worthwhile by the time it takes them to sit their ass down.

• Love 2

Well, I didn't FF after all.  I thought she was fine.  Nothing earth-shaking but that's okay.  She took it well when Seth kept alluding to her age. 

I'd forgotten that she'd gone undercover as a Playboy bunny. 

Seth asked about print journalism, and I wish they would have remarked that for all the value we get from the internet, it's ephemera -- it's not permanent and can be gone at any time.  Newspapers and magazines last a long time.

• Love 5