Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What is everyone thinking of Seth on Late Night so far?

I was beyond thrilled to hear Seth was taking over the show as I adore him. I have been loving the interviews and the quick stories he tells after the monologue. I find Seth to be super likeable and funny and smart, and I think he's at his best when he's just being himself telling a story or having a conversation with the guests.

However, I feel like the small skit type segments that the writers do regularly are pretty painful. I'm pretty sure the only one I even slightly laughed at was the Hoda and Kathie Lee intervention and that was mostly because the two of them found it so funny.

I really do think the show has a lot of potential. I'm hoping his brother will come on at some point. He would make a great sidekick - I always loved the times they appeared together on Fallon.

I really enjoyed Seth on SNL and I like what I've seen so far of the Late Night show. He needs a little more experience with interviewing people (as opposed to moving awkwardly through talking points or reading questions off cards), but he's really genuine and engaged and smart.

Has anyone been to see a taping of the show yet? I have tickets for a show in a few weeks, and I'd be ever so grateful if someone had anything in the way of advice. Thanks!

Replying to my own post:  hey, I just noticed that they DID put a modesty panel on Seth's desk; it's probably an entirely new desk.  Much better!   Now about that puny guest chair...........

They just need grown up furniture. Both Seth's desk, even with the new modesty panel and the guest chairs look too small for the set. I get going for a retro vibe, but this stuff looks low rent.

• Love 1

thanks to the beauty of the DVR we have recorded all the shows and watched most of all of them.  They are getting better as Seth finds his groove.  He ran through a cycle of good friends and those segments were very entertaining, at least to us.  

Well I think I'm tapping out. I tried to give him time to find his footing, but this week I realized I ff through half of the show. I dislike his set with the tiny chairs. his monologue is Weekend Update while standing and I cannot stand Fred Armisen. I'll check in from time to time when he has guest I am interested in, but as of today. I'm dropping this from auto record. He's a little too laid back for my taste.

I really like the bits with Fred. My sister comes over about once a week and we watch a clip or two (or three) about Fred's lies. 

Specifically we are huge fans of the "Confetti bank" and "Crouton Connection". Seth is great at setting up Fred for hilarious improv. 

The show is Seth's and I would never want Fred hosting a full hour on his own. I love Seth's dog too!

It's not his writing that bugs, it's his presentation.. I think he's a little too laid back and smug. I get bored watching his talk show and I think the only think that saved his news desk run on SNL were the guest appearances by Stefon and the like. I like Seth  Myers so I'm surprised at how boring I find his talk show hosting, but I because of that I *really* am not looking forward to his hosting the Emmy's.

The Second Chance Theater  skit with "Jenjamin Franklin" was the most painful bit of television I've seen in a decade.

WOW.  This was cut out of SNL for Reasons.  It should have remained buried deep and never seen the light of day.

So much buildup, including an excruciatingly boring interview with Will Forte touting this skit as "silly genius".  Sorry, no.  It was just plain torture.

• Love 1

Mixed feelings about Seth. I think he was one of the best update anchors on SNL and seems very comfortable interviewing guests - much better than Fallon I think who, despite also being one of my favourite SNLers, just seems too full of himself on the Tonight Show. I, too, cannot stand Fred Armisen so have to ff through his shtick. Also not a fan of the goofy skits and and agree that "Jenjamin Franklin" was a big loser. Now despite being an excellent interviewer, my biggest peeve is when he launches into one of his unscripted anecdotes and, like, suddenly, like, transforms himself into, like, this 16 year old school girl! ( I may be off the demographic mark here in relation to the 'like' annoyance but what do know, I'm from Canada, eh!) I'll keep watching, though, if only for his celeb interviews.

I have always found him pretty annoying, but good lord Gilbert Gottfried was hysterical tonight.  Seth was giggling the whole time.  The Jay Leno impression just killed me. 

(edited)

The show isn't the same without Fred's crazy projects.  The monologue is short, then straight to the boring anecdotes... the anecdotes have become dreadful.  I'm not Seth Meyer's agony aunt.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
The show isn't the same without Fred's crazy projects.

The past few episodes have fallen flat because of the lack of Fred. Seth's writing staff is full of bad actors, which is why they are writers. I wish they would never come out to do fake interviews and bits with him. Grown-up Annie makes me irrationally angry. I like Seth's giggly anecdotes, but only after hearing from Fred about a new project. He just isn't bouncing off of anyone this week (and last). 

I've been switching off after the monologue.  Fred's off days are too numerous.

This goes back to a (pretty confident) speculation I made over at TWoP (must have made it there, because I don't see it here) when Armisen's participation was first announced--namely, that it couldn't last on a regular basis, that it made no sense for him to play an ongoing second-banana role given his current place in the fame structure, and (maybe most important of all) that there'd be no reason on earth he'd want to take on the difficult and time-consuming day-to-day responsibilities and sheer behind-the-scenes work of being an actual musical director on an actual nightly network talk show. It was funny as a goof--and I'm one of those who did think it was funny--but it could never have been real.

• Love 1

Looks like this week is all reruns. So that means we haven't seen Fred on a new episode in a month. 

Meyers is off next week, too. (All the talk shows take 2 week breaks around Independence Day.)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Portlandia is filmed in June.

(edited)

If you're interested in the Late Night taping times, the Dutch-Argentina World Cup game ended about 6:45 pm EST.

Edited by GaryE

The first month that this show was on, a lot of people were asking for more Seth anecdotes. It was refreshing at first because those stories were nothing like his Weekend Update persona. He could switch it up a bit, but in recent history, the storytelling was a good thing.

I'll say it until he returns: this show is not as fun without Fred.

• Love 1

Still no Fred! It's been 6 weeks now. If he isn't there next week, I'm cancelling my season pass. Why haven't they come up with a less-famous backup? I could send them a list of funny improvisers that are always available, my twitter feed is full of them. 

I don't get the love for Fred here.

Okay, I get the love for Fred. I think he's an awesome talent. I'm one of the few people who liked his Obama impression. He was terrrific on SNL.

Yet I found that bit that Seth did with him stupid and a misuse of his talents.

He wasn't a big enough part of the show. He should be bigger than Guillermo on Kimmel or Richter on Conan.

But, except for 1 or 2 taped pieces, Armisen hasn't been really interesting on Late Night.

Also, I hated last night how they had to spend many minutes explaining and recapping FredEx, and then sending Seth's assistant out. It's getting repetitive.

The "love" for Fred is just 2 or 3 people on here who like him (one of them being me). Not indicative of a trend, just a few opinions. 

It doesn't even matter if the person Seth interacts with is necessarily Fred. It just needs to be someone! They can't spend this many weeks doing nothing. The show is too new for us to know what is missing from the formula.

• Love 1
(edited)

Remember when some celeb-type would "fill in for Fred" with the band for a few minutes? That wasn't too bad.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 1

This show is getting even funnier. I love Seth's Stories so much--him talking about going through the five stages of grief over the Dutch team losing their game had me in stitches. The comedy bits are very funny as well. Seth's Affirmations was just spectacular.

• Love 2

At first I didn't mind Seth talking about his family and home life.

I didn't even mind that he had his brother on.

But I think it's reached a point where Seth talking about his family has become overkill.

I don't think Conan has talked this much about his family in 21 years.

The rambling storytelling after the monologue needs to go, it's such a lull in the show.

I guess this is an example of YMMV but this is the one part of the show I go out of my way not to miss.  I shower during the monologue and come back for this.  Do other pre-bed ritual stuff during the comedy bits and try to watch the interviews in bed. 

And I don't miss Fred. 

Less of an "ask" and more of a "tell", but the segment you do right after the monologue where you do updates on the family and personal life are really great, you're a dynamite storyteller with those. Here's an "ask" part for you: does it take a lot of work to come up with a new yarn every night, or do those anecdotes come to you pretty naturally?

Seth_Meyers 12 points an hour ago

Thanks! I really enjoy doing that. I wasn't something we planned as much as we discovered. They don't come easy every day. There are times when it's a bit more of a struggle mostly because my days can be the same in the middle of a show week. I do find myself trying new things in hopes of finding something new to talk about

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e3ohk/i_am_seth_meyers_host_of_nbcs_late_night_and_the/

BvgCqP8IAAAfieY.jpg

Edited by nowandlater