Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Blaine's World

Chicago Redshirt called it:

One does not simply cast an actor like Steve Weber for a one-and-done appearance. I imagine we'll be seeing more of him in S2.

PS. Blaine's World? Blaine's World! It's party time, it's excellent!

• Love 4

Aly Michalka was up for a role in a Pilot that didn't get picked up. I'm thinking that's why they gave her the out but with a possible return now for next season. I hope she does come back, I want to see her and Liv actually talk about what Liv is. Although I imagine she'll be a little mad at Ravi since he knew about Liv's condition. 

• Love 5

I dunno, I just don't see a big future for Peyton. I think it would be better for her to die or move away and for Liv to get a female friend who's more connected to the main plot. 

I love the title for this episode. The main thing I'm wondering about is if they'll kill Blaine, and TBH, I hope they won't. It's just my love for David Anders, I can't help it. I know he's a bastard and everything but he's just so fun.

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought that was a really good season finale. I wish Liv had just killed Blaine, she cured him but couldn't he simply be re-zombies by one of his minions? I am also wary of the fact that she gave Major the cure without knowing it's effects. Not smart Liv.

I also selfishly wanted more time with zombie Major. He would have been cranky for a while but he would have gotten over it I feel. He already seemed to be coming around when she gave him the cure. I'm glad he finally knows the truth.

He was pretty bad ass the whole episode. He could definitely make a living as a zombie hunter for hire. It would have been so much more poetic if he was a zombie while he did it but I digress.

Blaine is not wrong about his role in keeping ooc zombies in check with his business. Maybe it can be done without murdering people. Maybe getting the brains from the morgue like Liv?

Liv continues to be completely selfish when it comes to zombiesm. It's not just about her and I'm glad Major called her on it.

Poor thing though. She was basically rejected by Major, who she was willing fo spend eternity with and then Evan gets hurt and needs her tainted blood. What's a girl to do?

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 4

If Liv is O Negative one of her parents must be too, (unless she is adopted), I assume it's not her Mom, has her Dad been mentioned?

Major was right though, when Liv turned him, she was thinking about what she wanted, her life with Major back, not what Major would've wanted.

I hope iZombie has a panel at San Diego Comic Con, I will be going!!

• Love 6

I figured Major would get turned but not get turned back. That should have been obvious when Ravi said he only had 2 cures and one was for Blaine.

Liv is probably going to have to say she's sick or something to not turn her brother into a zombie.

• Love 1

Really solid finale. 

Liv was fantastic, as usual. 

I was impressed with Major, though. I enjoyed that he went all zombie hunter and shot all those zombies in the head (and blew one up!). Plus, he told Liv off for lying and letting him think he was crazy and turning him into a zombie just to save his life. Yes, she was doing what she could to save him, but I don't blame him for getting pissed. I actually thought this was the best use of Major because now he's in the know and he knows why Liv broke it off. Yes, I do think Liv was being selfish but I understand her reasoning. It's kind of too bad that Major didn't stay a zombie, though.

I think it would have been awesome to see him hating to be a zombie, but also not wanting to die and having to deal with Liv. But, I guess this was the next best thing. I just was legitimately excited to see zombie!Major. I didn't realize that until Blaine shot him and I knew Liv would scratch him.

What a shocking ending. I don't want to think Liv's brother is going to die, but...it did show that she listened to Major. I mean, two different scenarios (Liv's brother is entirely unaware, after all and I think he would appreciate not dying), but damn, her saying no was just powerful and it makes you think 'will they really kill him off?' And if they do, her mother is going to be PISSED. 

Yay for the police chief for writing Blaine's name on the wall. Also Blaine is now becoming human, but there has to be side effects. It can't just be that easy, right? So perhaps there WILL be Major/Blaine scenes, but in a different way this time. 

Steven Weber is EVERYWHERE. Jesus, is there a show he HASN'T been on in the last two years? 

• Love 4
(edited)

Whenever they showed the syringes and mentioned "just two doses to stop the Zombie Apocalypse" I kept thinking: Can't they just use anti-bodies in the blood of the rat or Liv or whomever gets one of the 2 (Blaine and Major, as it turns out) to make a serum?

And then at the end, when Liv said no to being a blood donor, I expected her to follow with: "I'm HIV positive." She could say she contracted it at the morgue from an infected fresh corpse via a glove torn with a sharp object or even a bone shard. She could have told Major that too. She could have told him it happened in medical school with a corpse. Or Hep C.

Why did Blaine think he was able to feed the starving zombies anyway?

In the freezer, scientifically speaking, how did Major use pee as an accelerant?

ETA: When Major got his weapons stash out of the trunk with rap music as background, I said aloud with the appropriate tempo (when he got to it) "and Chekhov's grenade."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
(edited)

That was a good season finale.

I feel sorry for the Liv and the decision she will have to make. Either she gives her blood to her brother and risks him turning into a zombie, or she refuses to donate her blood which ends up killing him.

Wonder if the zombie cure will make Major ill down the road since cured rat ended up dead.

He wrote Blaine's name on the wall.

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, there was more stuff under it but a piece of the wall was torn off.

If Liv is O Negative one of her parents must be too, (unless she is adopted), I assume it's not her Mom, has her Dad been mentioned?

I wondered in the Pilot about her Dad. I just assumed her parents were divorced and her dad is out the picture. Maybe he pops up in Season 2. Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 5

They definitely left plot lines open for next season.  Blaine may still have come out the winner here, since he gets to be alive and a blackmailer, if he's still willing to kill people now that he doesn't personally need to.  Assuming of course no side effects from the cure...

Liv bothered me by forgetting rule number one of hostage exchange, for letting Blaine get away, and forgetting the cure bigger picture.  Major won points for his escape, but gets docked one for gloating after the grenade went off.  Liv had reason to believe Ravi had a cure that could be expanded to all the infected, so turning Major wasn't selfless but it wasn't necessarily the worst idea.  However, they definitely need Blaine for more contaminated utopium if they are going to try working on a cure again.

I thought Suzuki wrote a couple of lines, and also thought it was more than Blaine's name.  Is Suzuki really most sincerely dead?  It looked that way.

I don't think her Dad has come up.  I'm glad she didn't agree to donate, given what just happened with Major.  Her blood type is unusual, but they aren't in that small of a town. If they put out an alert I imagine they could have donors within the time required.

• Love 2

He wrote Blaine's name on the wall.

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, there was more stuff under it but a piece of the wall was torn off.
I couldn't read the lower part either, but it would be kind of cool if it was "Blaine's World."
(edited)

In the freezer, scientifically speaking, how did Major use pee as an accelerant?

ETA: When Major got his weapons stash out of the trunk with rap music as background, I said aloud with the appropriate tempo (when he got to it) "and Chekhov's grenade."

He didn't. Major peed on the floor to make ice for the bad guy to slip on.

And the song was Falco's "Der Kommissar" from 1981.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 6

As editorgrrl mentioned, the pee was for ice. He lit the dead kid on fire.

I was pretty impressed with Major this episode, although I wish Liv had left him a zombie.

• Love 3

Yeah there was something that looked like it began with a d and then the rest was blurred by the explosion. May he was trying to write Blaine did the killings or 'Blaine' then 'Don't eat the food cos it's made of brains'. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Hmm... I liked the majority of it, but I felt like the final moments took a lot of suspension of disbelief or just confused me.  First, I wish they found a better way to have Liv decide not to kill Blaine.  I get why because David Anders is awesome and I certainly don't want Blaine to go anywhere, but the whole idea that he is necessary in order to stop a zombie apocalypse, doesn't make sense to me.  Why doesn't Liv try something herself?  By leaving Blaine alive, he's still going to be a problem and still probably going to kill innocents.  Of course, he's now "cured", so his immortality is off the table, but he can still be a threat.  Plus, is the cure permanent?  If not, Blaine just needs to find another zombie and get himself scratched.

And then there is the Major stuff.  I figured that he was going to be fatally wounded, and Liv would turn him.  But she gave the rest of the cure to him?  Which means, now Ravi doesn't have any more to make for the  other zombies?  Kind of short-sighted and selfish of her.  It sounded like it was possible to get a solution in a couple of months after his testing, so as painful as it would have been, why didn't she just have Major wait it out?  Sure, he'd hate her, but I'm sure he's still never going to trust her again after all the lying.  Overall, I am just confused by these reveals.

That said, her not being able to donate blood to her brother because of being zombie, is an interesting dilemma.  Not sure why the hospital doesn't have any on back-up, but maybe he's just in that bad of shape.  Even if they do find another donor, this has to hurt her relationship with both him and her mom, because in their eyes, she's going to come off selfish and uncaring.

Interesting that Suzuki set-up Blaine and blew the Meat Cue to hell, including himself.  Not sure if he's gone for good, or if he's only playing dead.  I know zombies can survive a lot of things, but that was a pretty big explosion.

Case of the week was basically Liv eating Theresa/Sin's brains, and catching the killer, who ended up being Cameron all along.  But it seem mainly more as a set-up for all the stuff involving Max Danger.  Despite being exposed at the end, it really doesn't sound like that's going anywhere, with Brian Markinson (always love seeing him!) showing up as a new scientist, and them wanting to create a "Super Max."  Hey, I'll all for more Steven Weber.  Especially if he randomly does that creepy neck shimmy again.

Ravi was kind of right that Liv on Theresa's brains was the closest to normal Liv, except her quips were just meaner and more crass.

No Peyton update, but it sounds like that's because Aly Michalka was unavailable, but since her pilot didn't get picked up, I can see her returning.  No doubt still freaked out.

Overall, fun series.  I'm glad I checked it out.  Never failed to make me laugh, Ravi is the best, glad Malcolm Goodwin found another gig, and best of all, Rose McIver is just shining in this role.  As someone who still remembers her from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, that is just awesome!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8

What a great finale!  They said iZombie will be back in the fall.  Has it been renewed for sure?  I really felt for Liv.  She didn't want Major to die.  Death is forever.  I'm not sure it was all selfishness.  How could she ask him if he'd rather be a zombie or be dead.  I'm not sure if given the choice he really would have chosen death.  Liv didn't ask him if he wanted the maybe cure either.  This was such an effective cliffhanger.  So many open questions.

• Love 2
(edited)

She should have asked Major if he wanted the injection. She's still making decisions for him. It's a huge risk, and he could have made a decision on his own. Also, I think she should have killed Blaine. I really hate that she didn't. Or at least lock him up to force co-operation. The idea that he will somehow be a lesser evil now just strikes me as utterly stupid. I want to like Liv, but she really isn't making sense.

She also could have told Major, if he really wanted to die, there are still ways to do it. Not that she wants to lose him again, but if he's really serious? It's do-able.

The brother situation makes me sad.

And not verifying the identify during the hostage exchange was the most idiotic thing ever.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7

I get the feeling they're going to turn Blaine into a reluctant ally of Liv's next season. There's still too much potential with his character, more so than with Major's, imo.

• Love 3

I like that they didn't drag out the "Major gets the cure" storyline since we all knew it would end up there. I like Major calling Liv out for turning him, and I can't be mad at him for live using the cure on him. Major was very good tonight. I think that's the most I've ever liked Robert Buckley. I kept waiting for the brother to show up, and they really got a lot out of him for one minute of screen time. Love the added twist of the knife that Evan has apparently donated to Liv before when she can't.

Crazy theory: eating the brain of the cured will cure zombism.

• Love 7
I get the feeling they're going to turn Blaine into a reluctant ally of Liv's next season.

I agree. Cured Blaine is going to be a target for the zombies he turned and blackmailed. He's going to need protection.

• Love 2
(edited)

...Crazy theory: eating the brain of the cured will cure zombism.

So next morgue lab experiment will require giving either Blaine or Major a bit of a lobotomy. Blain or Major? Major or Blaine? Tough call.

...They said iZombie will be back in the fall...

Which is a well deserved vote of confidence for a show that was initially deemed only good enough for the second string of spring outings.

Too bad Selfie wasn't on this network.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
(edited)

Per Wikipedia: Because it is compatible with anyone, O negative blood is often overused and consequently is always in short supply.

Re: Blaine - I see no reason to expect that he'll get less evil, though at least he won't have to kill people for personal use.

Edited by ACW
  • Love 5
(edited)

Suzuki wrote Blaine's full name, Blaine DeBeers on the wall so the police could go after him.  

What a great finale!  They said iZombie will be back in the fall.  Has it been renewed for sure?  

iZombie was picked up for Season 2 right before the Upfronts in May. 

Liv could easily say she's sick, that's why she's so pale. Although that would be leaving her brother to possibly die. 

I'm also guessing there's going to be side effects from the unfinished cure. Plus all of Blaine's clients are still wandering around. I didn't think Max Rager would be taken care of too, I figured they were being set up as the Big Bad for next season. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Oh, Show! Quit reminding me to dust and just when Evan got to the Meat Cute, too!

Suzuki? You are one crazy brave bastard. I hope you got your wish(es) and are dead, or that you can work from the shadows to bring down Blaine and/ or Delusional Van Sociopath. Steven Webber has an ability to bring real menace to villains that seem all smarm and oiliness. In fact, I was wondering during breaks in The Flash if Max Rager's CEO was just a smarmy asshole or if he was all in then 200% more on top of that. I was sort of hoping for the lesser choice, but man.

With Major and Evan? IA that Major was just knee-jerk responding, but there were truth-bombs that needed to be said to him. (Poor Ravi! Major and Peyton, if things go "well". ) Evan only wanted to make some cash and get his mom off his back. Since Liv wasn't informed of  potential workplaces for her lil' brother, this isn't exactly on her. (Other than letting Blaine live long enough to revenge hire Evan.) No one could have forseen this game of Clue being 'Lt. Suzuki in the charcuterie with a gas stove and Bic lighter.'  Unfortunately, we don't know if we can do much about Suzuki's part.  I would be tempted to save my brother, but I totally see why Liv said no. 

Liv has complete faith in Ravi's abilities. That is why I am anxious to see how the supposed Cure works. I hope it works differently on both men.  I haven't forgotten Moneybags Astro-BoredNow. I am thinking that will most definitely come back to nibble on Blaine's now seemingly- mortal butt.

Clive? I love him, and Malcolm Godwin, but I am concerned about his realizing the tennis shoes and only thinking Major. Not because he's correct, but the Trust Circle is about to be busted out some. I hope.  I just want to see a bit more of Ravi and Clive next season, as they are essentially, unchanging and play wonderfully off of Liv/Rose.

So much to...digest. ::gets ready for Fall::

(edited)

Wow. Just... Wow.

I loved how complex the episode was. How it didn't dumb down anything. No big speeches, no hammering in of anything. Just these characters we've come to know, facing the consequences of their decisions. And now I must wax poetic because this show has messed with my brains, people. Pun intended.

Lt. Suzuki: What a Snape thing to do, (trying to) reveal the secrets that haunted you as you die, in an attempt to appear heroic. Which you, just as Snape, weren't.

Blaine: You conniving, sociopathic dipshit. You never really cared about them at all. And yet we'll see you next season, probably asking for Liv's help while an angry zombie mob is breathing down your neck. 

Ravi: You beautiful, curious, caring soul. Actual heart of this show. The way he tried to reassure Liv, begged her to wait... What a wonderful human. But, also? When Major and Peyton find out you knew all along, dude, you're fucked.

Major: No one knew you had it in you. Probably not even you. Still, well done.

Liv: Oh, Liv. Beautiful, confused, selfish Liv. Now here's someone who really wasn't cut out for this whole saving-the-world thing. All the way, you had no idea what to do, did you? Not a clue. At the beginning of the season, you realised you could help people, and that helping people would help you. Now, you've learnt that you should help people even when it doesn't help you. That sometimes, helping means not helping. You've come so far, and you've got such a long way to go.

And finally, Rob Thomas: I missed you, you devious bastard.

Well done, cast&crew, this was a damn fine season.

Edited by CinnamonCat
  • Love 11
(edited)

The odds of a hospital not having O-neg on hand are very low. That's the sort of thing that might happen if they get in twenty trauma cases at once or something, not in the normal course of events.

I so wanted Liv to go "I'm sure your phone has a contact list" and shoot Blaine in the head. Really worried he is going to infest the rest of the show like a fungus now. 

Liv using the rest of the drugs on Major made emotional sense, but is a massive failure of ethics. And she didn't ask him. Again, which matters because I'm fairly sure he'd disagree with her doing that - Eating morgue brains while Ravi works on replication of the cure is a downer for him personally, but it's not on the same scale of importance as a cure. Not to mention that they're not even done with animal trials. It'd make all the sense in the world if one or both of Blaine and Major bites it from "Failure of cure". 

Hmm. Other things: I figure the odds are pretty good Peyton is a zombie. 

That said: Pretty good finale!

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 3

I thought this was a very good finale. Major knows, finally! And everything he said to Liv was the truth. I like Liv and I know she's trying to do the best she can in ridiculous circumstances, but making unilateral decisions about what is best for other people is not cool.

I was very impressed with Major, his bravery in not breaking, and his smart planning for his escape. Blaine may have stabbed him but not before he took out five zombies solo.

As for Blaine, I don't see why he should become an ally of Liv's next season, reluctant or not. In his own words he is motivated by megalomania and greed. I don't see human Blaine as being any different. Frankly, I don't want him to be. I don't want him toned down, softened, or in any way redeemed. You hear me, Rob Thomas? He is deliciously bad just as he is.

So now the only one still out of the loop is Clive. Plus Evan's life hangs in the balance. It will be interesting to see how Liv explains her refusal to donate blood to her mother. Even if other donors can be quickly found I imagine mom will still want an explanation.

I'm just so glad this show got a second season. I just wish the ratings were better.

(edited)

Nope.  One parent has to be O and one positive, it doesn't have to be the same parent.  Yeah, there is no one in my family who could donate blood to me. I guess if I'm ever in iZombie land and in need of a transfusion, I'm SOL :D

And now you have me wondering about Liv's Dad.  Maybe next season?

Edit to add, there was something nagging at me about blood types, so did a little checking and apparently, neither of your parents have to be O for you to be.  Parents who are A&A, B&B or A&B can have a child with O blood type.  However if one parent is A/B there is no possibility for a child with O blood.

Edited by Altered Reality
  • Love 1

Great season finale. Major finally stopped doing stupid things & got smart, loved Liv shooting Blaine. Major FINALLY knows she's a zombie, & her brother getting blown up was a complete surprise. Can't wait for season 2.

As for Blaine, I don't see why he should become an ally of Liv's next season, reluctant or not. In his own words he is motivated by megalomania and greed. I don't see human Blaine as being any different. Frankly, I don't want him to be. I don't want him toned down, softened, or in any way redeemed. You hear me, Rob Thomas? He is deliciously bad just as he is.
Yeah...I can't help but suspect that Major and Blaine are now immune to the zombie virus, and thus both now available to be used as potential love interests in the future, but of course the only way for that to happen with Blaine is to tone him down and start making him a partial ally for a season or so...
  • Love 4

In response to the people wondering if Blaine can be re-infected, I'm not sure how effective a cure it would be if it didn't provide immunity from re-infection. I suppose it all depends on just what kind of physiological changes the Max Rager stuff causes, I suppose.

• Love 2

Liv bothered me by forgetting rule number one of hostage exchange, for letting Blaine get away, and forgetting the cure bigger picture.  

So much here.  She knows Blaine is a lying, devious bastard.  Why on  earth would she expect that some guy in a hood is major?

Blaine has to keep his records somewhere -- he's obvious not an "all in his head" kind of guy.  Shoot the asshole and search the shop office.  Boom, there's your zombie list.

Not only did she violate Major's choices -- twice -- she also violated Ravi's.  That serum wasn't given to her, and it wasn't hers to give out as she pleased.  

Stupid, selfish Liv!

I also predict that Blaine will likely turn back into a zombie at some point, but after he's "changed" to the extent that he won't be as villainous.

No, I don't want to see any "now, he is a zombie; now he isn't" nonsense.  You can turn into a zombie once and once only. That's all.

• Love 6

In response to the people wondering if Blaine can be re-infected, I'm not sure how effective a cure it would be if it didn't provide immunity from re-infection. I suppose it all depends on just what kind of physiological changes the Max Rager stuff causes, I suppose.

The problem is that analogy doesn't really hold up. I mean antibiotics cure several types of infections but it doesn't make you immune from catching that infection again. That would mean Ravi's cure that he whipped up in like 2 months in the morgue lab is both a cure and a vaccine against infections from zombieism which considering he's only had access to 3 zombies would be ridiculous.

Liv's plans as per usual makes no sense. Why cure Blaine? Just shoot him in the knee caps and interrogate him. It won't kill him and you can find the names and locations of all those zombies.

Also that Cure hasn't been tested on primates, nor has there been any research on long term or even short term effects. For all she knows the Cure she gave Major could give him chronic migraines, weight loss, mood swings, organ failure or death. There was no ticking clock on that decision. She could have at least asked him if he wanted to be dosed with an experimental Cure.

On the upside Major did something that Liv should have done a long time ago and taken care of the distribution network. It would have been nice if someone actually found out who they were delivering to but I guess that just leaves it all open ended.

• Love 2