Type keyword(s) to search

Bombshell: The Benefit Concert

Primetimer

I'll be watching to see when the ticket sales begin and my New Year's Resolution is to be there to see this.  Wonder what theatre they'll be doing this in?  Hopefully it's not just the concert venue at 54 Below where they did "Hit List" which doesn't hold many people. 

• Love 1

Please please PLEASE post the minute any of you sees tickets go on sale for this show.  Queen Anne....we'll go together!!  I'm actually going to be in NYC just before this and at this point plan to see Megan at her May 2015 stint at the Cafe Carlyle while there.  But if I have to ride Amtrak across the country for 3 days I vow to be back there again in June for this show.  LStar, where are you.  You need to go too.  You, too, dbklmt.  Wow.  I'm stoked.

I want to die. Kat McPhee??? It must be horrible to have to pretend they're all happy she's in the cast with them. 

Karen was awful but all of McPhee's co-stars seem to love her, she's besties with Megan Hilty.

All I hope is that some kind soul is able to record this. And leak it online. Somehow. Some way.

• Love 1
(edited)

Karen was awful but all of McPhee's co-stars seem to love her, she's besties with Megan Hilty.

All I hope is that some kind soul is able to record this. And leak it online. Somehow. Some way.

I'm back and forth with KM. I HATED her as Karen and I don't think she's a particularly dynamic actress. All that being said, I've seen worse actors have successful careers and I don't think Karen was all her fault. It wasn't a very well written role and I think even a much more talented actress would have had trouble crafting something out the the absurd Mary Sue mess that was Karen, especially in Season 1. Some of the sceens she had to get though ("You can't propose! I'm an understudy in tech!" Oh man.) were just so dumb. Most of the time I'm snipping on Karen it really is the character. I think KM did a bad job with what she was given, but she wasn't given much. Hit List could be different. More singing, less realistic character development needed, more theatrical. I'll reserve judgement. Edited by FozzyBear

I'm back and forth with KM. I HATED her as Karen and I don't think she's a particularly dynamic actress. All that being said, I've seen worse actors have successful careers and I don't think Karen was all her fault. It wasn't a very well written role and I think even a much more talented actress would have had trouble crafting something out the the absurd Mary Sue mess that was Karen, especially in Season 1. Some of the sceens she had to get though ("You can't propose! I'm an understudy in tech!" Oh man.) were just so dumb. Most of the time I'm snipping on Karen it really is the character. I think KM did a bad job with what she was given, but she wasn't given much. Hit List could be different. More singing, less realistic character development needed, more theatrical. I'll reserve judgement.

Everyone had crappy lines.  Kat McPhee, however, was also a crappy actor.

Great recap, and I think it's great that the show got this very fitting theatrical event -- it's the right closure, with the right audience. (I love it that Ellis showed up -- just to be booed!)

However, after her simpering, dead-eyed performance on this show, along with her very public affair with "Smash" director Michael Morris, I will never be able to like McPhee.

However, the show did make me a fan of Hilty's, and I do get satisfaction out of the fact that even with an increasingly thankless character, Hilty was the one who emerged from "Smash" as the real star.

• Love 2

it pains me SO MUCH that I was not there. The kickstarter sold out in the time it took me to drive into work! devastated. I combed all of the interwebs last night and watched every clip I could. While not a fan of the McPheever, she and Megan *did look like they were having a ball in the numbers I saw (admittedly, from a balcony via cellphone).

PLEASE NBC RELEASE THIS ON DVD. I would buy it!

• Love 2

While not a fan of the McPheever, she and Megan *did look like they were having a ball in the numbers I saw (admittedly, from a balcony via cellphone).

There are a couple of bootlegs of the curtain call out there where if you watch upstage center closely you can see McPhee and Hilty start to enter too early like three times and completely crack up over it. It's completely delightful. They clearly enjoy each other, as do Messing and Borle. It's weird: If Bombshell were a real show, it would be almost entirely solos. My only complaint about the concert is I wish the cast had had more time to play together.

I just want to say, I want to hug adam807 at this very moment. :)  Thank you so much!

Aw, shucks. You're welcome! I wish you all could have been there too!

Some more official clips went up this afternoon: http://playbill.com/news/article/watch-four-exclusive-performances-from-the-broadway-bombshell-concert-video-351045

• Love 1

PLEASE NBC RELEASE THIS ON DVD. I would buy it!

That's how I feel.  I'd so buy the DVD if NBC released this.  Or, you know, record it and permanently save it on my DVR like I have the series finale (which I love to watch from time to time - such a satisfying and far better series finale than other shows I've watched *cough*Alias*cough*).

• Love 1
(edited)

I can get as far as the very end of "History is Made at Night."  Then my internet completely wigs out on me.  If it hasn't been pulled in a couple hours, I'll try again later.

To a fault, I keep reading the same thing.  People don't want to be watching the performance this way.  We don't want to be pirating anything.  We would gladly pay any reasonable (or even slightly unreasonable) amount for an "official" copy of this performance, yet we can't.

I have a passing acquaintance with someone who's performed on Broadway.  From him, I know that an actor's Equity card is an enormous deal, but beyond that, I know it's incredibly complicated.  I wish someone would have a conversation with a lawyer somewhere so that a workaround could be reached.  This was supposed to be an event for charity.  Isn't more money for charity a GOOD thing?  I have read in more than one source that there was a professional film crew there, so there is (I believe) "sanctioned" footage.  It just seems utterly maddening that people are saying "We WANT to give you money" and "rules" are saying "no thank you."

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

People don't want to be watching the performance this way.  We don't want to be pirating anything.  We would gladly pay any reasonable (or even slightly unreasonable) amount for an "official" copy of this performance, yet we can't.

I watched the whole thing and was thrilled to see it! If it comes out in a clearer, official version, I'll definitely pay for that too and happily watch again, but it's not sounding good.

On the plus side, they are talking about doing a west coast encore at the Hollywood Bowl:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/theater/la-et-cm-smash-broadway-musical-bombshell-20150611-story.html.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was able to get the rest of it to play......so, so, happy that I got to see Will Chase do "Lexington and 52nd Street."  It's one of my favorite songs.  I don't live on the West Coast, but that's definitely good news for those fans if it happens.

Edited by Ohmo

These Actors Fund events have been recorded and sold in the past (audio, not video, but still), so I wonder if on top of the actors' and musicians' unions there are rights issues with NBC for the music on this one.

• Love 1

That poll at the bottom of the article is making me sad.

Don't be too sad. American Idol fans know how to vote! That's how Clay Aiken came out on top of every "best artist" poll online for years despite getting very little traction in the music industry.

• Love 1
That poll at the bottom of the article is making me sad.
It's just wrong. If it were for Hit List, I could see it because I think McPhee's voice is probably better suited for a lot of the Amanda songs. But Hilty's style is just a better fit for the Bombshell Marilyn songs.