Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
xaxat

The NBA

Recommended Posts

Shame it ended on a Durant airball, but still an awesome game.

Can the Bucks get it done this year?

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Holy shit. What a game 7. Congrats Bucks.

If KD had been one inch back on that three in regulation...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I actually felt bad for KD tonight. He was played really great and gave it his all. The rest of the Nets didn't do enough to help him. James Harden was a liability out there tonight. He kept jacking up missed threes and he messed up the momentum that the Nets had multiple times when they were making runs.

He shouldn't have played as much as he did tonight, considering he was injured and his shots were not falling. Joe Harris also played poorly overall in this series. Steve Nash also didn't really play any of the Nets bench. They had like zero points tonight. That is ridiculous. Even if they had advanced they couldn't have fared too well doing that, especially since other teams benches are really stepping up and contributing.

This is a nice win for the Bucks and their fans. I'm not sure how far they will end up going. I believe if the Nets had been healthier they wouldn't have made the ECF. They might beat Philly especially if Ben Simmons continues to struggle the way that he is.

But I could see Atlanta possibly beating them if they advance. Atlanta is very resilient and well coached, I could see them being pesky towards the Bucks. And I also think that whoever comes out of the West could end up beating them as well. 

 

Edited by Jx223
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If KD had been one inch back on that three in regulation...

But he wasn't. 

Thank god they lost. Superteams (see Yankees every year, Dodgers of late) bug the shit out of me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If KD had been one inch back on that three in regulation...

His size 18 feet are just too big sometimes.

I don't want to hear any slander on either Giannis or KD. They both were incredible tonight. Slander Harden, Harris, Holiday, all you want. But I tip my hat to Giannis and KD.

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

But he wasn't. 

Thank god they lost. Superteams (see Yankees every year, Dodgers of late) bug the shit out of me.

But the Bucks play maybe the dirtiest defense in the league. I don't respect teams who defend by poking eyes, pulling legs, trying to trip people, trying to crash on their limbs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Bucks and Nets are playing an instant classic. Just phenomenal basketball. 

I only saw OT, which was a steaming pile of crap, aesthetically. 

But the right team lost! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of entitled jerks. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Fukui San said:

I only saw OT, which was a steaming pile of crap, aesthetically. 

But the right team lost! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of entitled jerks. 

OT was ugly. But to be fair most of the starters were 50 minutes deep or had fouled out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I only saw OT, which was a steaming pile of crap, aesthetically. 

But the right team lost! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of entitled jerks. 

How are they jerks?

Kyrie bought George Floyd's family a house.

KD does a bunch of charity work and has sponsored AAU teams including Trae Young's team when he was young.

Blake Griffin donates a bunch of money every year and paid for the Pistons' workers salaries during the pandemic.

Steve Nash is one of the most beloved vets of all time.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So far the chatter is that Steve Nash's job might be on the line. Nets are not going to be happy with him overplaying Joe Harris so much.

Also I think the Bucks can put away whoever wins Sixers/Hawks and advance to the championships.

Edited by Lady Whistleup

Share this post


Link to post

What a great game.  Shoulda coulda woulda (re: long 2 that wasn't a 3).  Rather amazing that Milwaukee won the series.

Just my opinion, but if Atlanta does what Atlanta does in terms of sport (IOW: falter), whoever comes out of the West will be your 2021 NBA Champions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, Carey said:

What a great game.  Shoulda coulda woulda (re: long 2 that wasn't a 3).  Rather amazing that Milwaukee won the series.

Just my opinion, but if Atlanta does what Atlanta does in terms of sport (IOW: falter), whoever comes out of the West will be your 2021 NBA Champions

Well ... if KD logs onto twitter tonight he'll see a bunch of respect for him carrying the Nets ALMOST through the series.

I'm actually sad. I've been a Brooklyn Nets fan forever. Oh well.

ETA: I always love seeing parents of players watching games. Mama Durant is what every player needs. It's a tough business with a lot of pain and injuries. You need a strong support system who will love you no matter what.

 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Will this loser be at the game tomorrow? 

download.jpeg.a08501b2e68a314735f6633fdca88a1e.jpeg

Sixers fans are the WORST. 

CP3 is not playing tomorrow. 

And I still hate Joe Harris.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Sixers fans are the WORST. 

At least, they're not like Cowboys fans. Those fans are the absolute WORST. 

7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Will this loser be at the game tomorrow? 

download.jpeg.a08501b2e68a314735f6633fdca88a1e.jpeg

Hopefully, they will give Ben Simmons some encouragement tonight to improve his play because he sure as hell needs it. 

That was a fun game to watch. KD came very close to winning the game for Brooklyn. Thankfully, his foot was barely on the line & the Nets went out in overtime. The only person that I feel bad for is Kyrie Irving because he was the only likeable player on the Brooklyn Nets. He also would of helped them to victory over the Bucks had he not mess up his ankle. Hopefully, he can come back next season healed up & ready to go.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Magog said:

At least, they're not like Cowboys fans. Those fans are the absolute WORST. 

Hopefully, they will give Ben Simmons some encouragement tonight to improve his play because he sure as hell needs it. 

That was a fun game to watch. KD came very close to winning the game for Brooklyn. Thankfully, his foot was barely on the line & the Nets went out in overtime. The only person that I feel bad for is Kyrie Irving because he was the only likeable player on the Brooklyn Nets. He also would of helped them to victory over the Bucks had he not mess up his ankle. Hopefully, he can come back next season healed up & ready to go.

Mr flat earth Kyrie Irving?   I'll pass on cheering for him.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So far the chatter is that Steve Nash's job might be on the line. Nets are not going to be happy with him overplaying Joe Harris so much.

Is that chatter coming from KD?  Because if it isn't then his job is pretty safe given how much of a role injuries played.  A few questionable choices aren't going to be enough to get you sacked if your superstar player likes you.  If, on the other hand, he doesn't, then you can go commiserate with Rick Carlisle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

Is that chatter coming from KD?  Because if it isn't then his job is pretty safe given how much of a role injuries played.  A few questionable choices aren't going to be enough to get you sacked if your superstar player likes you.  If, on the other hand, he doesn't, then you can go commiserate with Rick Carlisle.

No it's coming from a lot of furious fans lol. KD seems to thrive under coaches named Steve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm ready to ask the question - can KD get it done without Steph? 

I'm delighted that this Nets team failed. Super-teams aren't good for any sport and, given the amount of shit the Warriors got for adding one more superstar to their roster of homegrown stars, the Nets should be hounded out of the sport for the way they manufactured this team.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Well the Nets will not be the only superteam after this year.

Dame Lillard is apparently determined to go to Philly to play with Embiid.

Luka also wants out of Dallas to play with Giannis. 

Zion wants to go to NY to play for the Knicks.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm delighted that this Nets team failed. Super-teams aren't good for any sport and, given the amount of shit the Warriors got for adding one more superstar to their roster of homegrown stars, the Nets should be hounded out of the sport for the way they manufactured this team.

Superteams are great for driving a narrative - nothing riles up self righteous fan outrage like a team-up and nothing makes them happier than seeing them fall flat on their faces (see the 03-04 Lakers, 10-11 Heat, 12-13 Lakers, etc.).   You also get the old timers snarking that back in their day Magic didn't run to the Celtics, Jordan didn't join the Pistons, etc. whenever they had a setback

Unless it's your team, of course, then it's all good because all of those other people are just jealous jerks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just going to say it -- I find much of the narrative around "superteams" in the media to be racist. Like (black) players should just be happy carrying a sorryass roster to a first-round playoff exit because, hey, loyalty. Meanwhile owners waive and cut players all the time.

If I'm a great player the way I view it is my career is short. Players play till ... what, 35? I would want to have the best possible career on the best team.

Look at Anthony Davis. He won a ring with the Lakers last year and this year his body was wrecked with injuries. 

Meanwhile, in the past WEEK Luka Doncic has CLEANED OUT the entire Mavs' front office and is forcing a trade of Kristap Porzingis, and no one has called him spoiled/entitled/diva/difficult/uncoachable. And you have people like Bill Simmons calling him "classy." 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Meanwhile, in the past WEEK Luka Doncic has CLEANED OUT the entire Mavs' front office and is forcing a trade of Kristap Porzingis, and no one has called him spoiled/entitled/diva/difficult/uncoachable. And you have people like Bill Simmons calling him "classy." 

Well, one often should look to Bill Simmons for guidance: the golden rule with him is to hear what he says and then know the exact opposite of that is true the vast majority of the time.

And to be fair, I think Luka is a spoiled, entitled diva brat, and the last time I checked the data, my opinion was and is the correct one in 100% of circumstances.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, one often should look to Bill Simmons for guidance: the golden rule with him is to hear what he says and then know the exact opposite of that is true the vast majority of the time.

And to be fair, I think Luka is a spoiled, entitled diva brat, and the last time I checked the data, my opinion was and is the correct one in 100% of circumstances.

Bill Simmons is AWFUL. Like why does he have so many followers? 

I'm not sure if Luka is being a spoiled, entitled brat but I do think that if he didn't look like tis cherubic blond cutie pie the narrative around him would be different. He's 22 and already forcing an ORG to basically clean house for his sake.

What if he didn't look like this?

Thomas-LukaDoncic-1.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Bill Simmons is AWFUL. Like why does he have so many followers? 

Mmm, yes, I can't explain the Bill Simmons Phenomenon, and I've tried with various spreadsheets.

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm not sure if Luka is being a spoiled, entitled brat but I do think that if he didn't look like tis cherubic blond cutie pie the narrative around him would be different. He's 22 and already forcing an ORG to basically clean house for his sake.

What if he didn't look like this?

Thomas-LukaDoncic-1.jpg

And that?  Is the very definition of an extremely punchable face to me.  There is just so much smug there.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

Mmm, yes, I can't explain the Bill Simmons Phenomenon, and I've tried with various spreadsheets.

And that?  Is the very definition of an extremely punchable face to me.  There is just so much smug there.

LOL I think several NBA players have very sweet faces. In general I think basketball players are good looking because they are long and lean.

I think Dame Lillard has a sweet face:

damian-lillard-of-the-portland-trail-bla

Giannis does too:

5ba97ce99c49d.image.jpg?resize=1200,888

Jayson Tatum:

200130tatum.jpg

Matisse Thybulle:

1178219677.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Phoenix/Clippers is a good game. If Phoenix can get one or both of the first two without CP3, it bodes well for them for the series, I would think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Team USA sign ups so far:

- Damian Lillard

- Devin Booker

- Bradley Beal

- Jayson Tatum

- KD

- Draymond Green

I'm going with a wild, out-there prediction: team USA will take the gold in Tokyo. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Holy crap, Phoenix might actually do it and win the Finals at this rate.

Share this post


Link to post

The finals could very well be Phoenix vs. Atlanta and who was thinking that ever?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think that the Suns/Clippers was a good game. Good win for this young Suns team who have really grown over the past few years. (And I give Monty Williams a lot of credit for helping develop/bring out the best in them). Though, Devin Booker has always been pretty talented, and now gets to shine the postseason. I think they could make and possibly win the finals. 

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Sixers fans are the WORST. 

They still have that reputation, but they are no worse or better than other franchises. In my experience there is a big difference in behavior "before" and "after" their new stadiums and arenas. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

What a great game 7 this Sixers/Hawks game is turning out to be. 

Jo Embiid really giving it all he has on a visibly painful knee.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Sigh. Matisse fouling Huerter and giving him three FT's, Ben passing on a dunk and giving it to double-teamed Thybulle, bunch of bone-headed plays by Philly. 

Philly fans threw cans on the floor and booed the team out of the stadium. Ouch.

And I say this with total respect -- Trae Young is a tough little booger.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

YES! EVIL WINS! CAUSE GOOD IS DUMB!

The Hawks won this one like a team though, got a lot of great contributions from players not named Trae Young, until he finally came alive in the 4th. 

Eager to see if the Hawks brand of villainy can take on the Bucks. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Who knew that the Hawks would be the Atlanta team to rise above the level of mediocrity?  Of course, there’s still plenty of time to screw up in the Conference Finals. 😀

Share this post


Link to post

The Brooklyn Nets left the floor last night to ovations from both the audience and the Bucks. Giannis paid tribute to KD in both post-game interviews. You could say the Nets lost with dignity.

The Sixers had audiences throwing cans at them and were booed off the floor. And honestly, they deserved it. That was a piss-poor effort on the part of the Sixers starters down the stretch of the game. Joel Embiid and Seth Curry were trying. Everyone else ... I have no fucking clue what they were doing. 

And I really, really hope Ben Simmons has a strong support system because his confidence looked completely shot.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Nate McMillian deserves to have the word interim removed from his title. He did an excellent job with the Hawks this season. Beating a #1 seeded Philly team, even when Trae Young shot poorly for a lot of this game. The Hawks are a scrappy, hard-working team and I give them a chance against the Bucks. At the very least they could really wear on them.

Ben Simmons was really disappointing during these playoffs. He was very limited offensively and that really hurt the sixers. He barely scored any points in this series. He can't contribute that little and expect his team to go the distance. I wonder what will end up happening to his future with the team after this season. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm just going to say it -- I find much of the narrative around "superteams" in the media to be racist. Like (black) players should just be happy carrying a sorryass roster to a first-round playoff exit because, hey, loyalty. Meanwhile owners waive and cut players all the time.

If I'm a great player the way I view it is my career is short. Players play till ... what, 35? I would want to have the best possible career on the best team.

Look at Anthony Davis. He won a ring with the Lakers last year and this year his body was wrecked with injuries. 

Meanwhile, in the past WEEK Luka Doncic has CLEANED OUT the entire Mavs' front office and is forcing a trade of Kristap Porzingis, and no one has called him spoiled/entitled/diva/difficult/uncoachable. And you have people like Bill Simmons calling him "classy." 

Super teams have always existed The Celtics and Lakers in the 80's and the Bulls in the 90's were super teams. The difference is those teams were created by management instead of players trying to play on the same team. I'm convinced Kyrie used the Celtics to get out of Cleveland and tanked while he was here. Black players have always been held to a different standard than white players.

10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm ready to ask the question - can KD get it done without Steph? 

I'm delighted that this Nets team failed. Super-teams aren't good for any sport and, given the amount of shit the Warriors got for adding one more superstar to their roster of homegrown stars, the Nets should be hounded out of the sport for the way they manufactured this team.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kathyk24 said:

Super teams have always existed The Celtics and Lakers in the 80's and the Bulls in the 90's were super teams. The difference is those teams were created by management instead of players trying to play on the same team. I'm convinced Kyrie used the Celtics to get out of Cleveland and tanked while he was here. Black players have always been held to a different standard than white players.

But that's like ... not okay. At all.

As I said, if Luka Doncic were black, I guarantee the narrative around him throwing out the entire FO in one week and trying to trade his teammate would be different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Man, the Inside the NBA guys are totally destroying Simmons to put it mildly.  Hats off to Ben saying he needs to be better (and for actually facing the media), but Shaq is right.  Address your situation within the series, not between seasons

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Superteams are great for driving a narrative - nothing riles up self righteous fan outrage like a team-up and nothing makes them happier than seeing them fall flat on their faces (see the 03-04 Lakers, 10-11 Heat, 12-13 Lakers, etc.).   You also get the old timers snarking that back in their day Magic didn't run to the Celtics, Jordan didn't join the Pistons, etc. whenever they had a setback

Unless it's your team, of course, then it's all good because all of those other people are just jealous jerks.

The problem with that logic is Magic Johnson couldn't have played for the Celtics because there was no free agency at that time. Now that players have control over where they want to play they will use it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

Man, the Inside the NBA guys are totally destroying Simmons to put it mildly.  Hats off to Ben saying he needs to be better (and for actually facing the media), but Shaq is right.  Address your situation within the series, not between seasons

Here's the video of them:

Ben Simmons was very disappointing but honestly, so were Tobias Harris and Matisse Thybulle. All three players need to become way stronger on offense during the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ben Simmons was very disappointing but honestly, so were Tobias Harris and Matisse Thybulle. All three players need to become way stronger on offense during the playoffs.

I think the issue with Ben was he was playing scared. He's a starting guard, played 35 minutes and attempted only 4 shots. When he passed off on that clear dunk, that was his game and series in a moment and Ben's terrified of that moment. 

Harris didn't play great, but at least he was shooting. 

Thybulle I don't think should be compared to the starters, but even he took one more shot than Simmons. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size