Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
xaxat

The NBA

TJ Warren came out of nowhere to dump 53 points today. Wow. 

Also last night I went to bed with the Rockets trailing by 3 with 3 seconds left. I assume they'd lost. Little did I know.

Career game for TJ Warren.  And really needed because Sabonis was out, Brogdon was out and Turner was awful and in foul trouble.  Hopefully TJ can keep that up.  Embiid killed the Pacers again, they've never had a good answer for him.  

The media putting some kind of ranking system on people who kneel vs. people who stand is really off-putting.

• Like 4

Heh this was the Sunday afternoon social media funny I needed:

As for the kneeling/standing thing I also wish it hadn't become this huge media circus. Charles  Barkley did remind everyone that just because you don't kneel doesn't mean you're a bad person.

I do think however that if you don't support BLM, you probably shouldn't be working in the NBA however. I'm not talking about the organization but rather the movement. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

45 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Heh this was the Sunday afternoon social media funny I needed:

As for the kneeling/standing thing I also wish it hadn't become this huge media circus. Charles  Barkley did remind everyone that just because you don't kneel doesn't mean you're a bad person.

I do think however that if you don't support BLM, you probably shouldn't be working in the NBA however. I'm not talking about the organization but rather the movement. 

But how do you separate the organization from the movement and make that clear just based on if you kneel or not before a game?  

I have never cared one bit what these players, or the NFL players, do during the national anthem.  I am not a kapernick fan as a player.  I never hated him but also never thought he was very good and he plays for a team I don't really like. But he can do what he wants during a two minute song prior to a game.  And honestly until Kaepernick starting kneeling, I never paid one bit of attention to what they do.  I could have sworn some of them probably kneeled before he did it.  If someone told me they did, I couldn't argue otherwise. 

When I say, " I don't care". I don't mean I don't care about the movement. I mean 

1.  They have a right to express their opinion as individuals how they choose and

2.  It makes no difference to me what they do in terms of if I watch or don't watch.  

As a fan I care about a hundred other things in terms of what these players do on and off the court before kneeling during the anthem

And that goes both ways.........there were numerous articles I saw about whats his name NOT kneeling before the game.  Most of them critical.  Now I get it, its journalism, we live in a click bait culture and media environment and writing those articles I am sure generates web traffic, so its easy to do to up your "hits" or whatever they call it for journalists.  And also the played the game of "Well its not that he did it but he didn't give a good reason for it"

Still though, in the end, he has a right to not kneel and doesn't really have to explain himself or justify if to anyone if he so chooses.  That is the country we live in and one of the things the very flag we are talking about stands for, freedom of choice.

I work with many people every day who I don't agree with on political and personal things.  And I don't chastise them for it or hate them for it.   Its called being an adult.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 2

I think they should kneel if they want, but the larger question is why do we bother playing the anthem for everything?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think they should kneel if they want, but the larger question is why do we bother playing the anthem for everything?

Tradition for one

But for another, to remind two teams and fandoms that while we act otherwise sometimes, especially as fans, its still a game and before and after that game, we are all part of the same country and community.  Its a reminder to leave the battling and animosity on the field/court and afterwards, we all are part of a larger group with common goals.  We are not enemies off the court, just on it.  

• Like 3

Well Pop didn't kneel but made it clear he's a big supporter of BLM. This is what he said today in response to a question.

Eeb9X01XgAEDMI4?format=png&name=medium

• Like 4

Awful news: Jonathan Isaac has suffered a torn ACL. 😞 

The Rockets are looking amazing. Speaking of which, why does social media hate Russell Westbrook? He seems like a pretty great player and a good guy.

Edited by Growsonwalls

I’m confused why all the video highlights from the bubble (on Twitter, ESPN, etc.) are such shitty quality.  I can’t even watch them because they are so choppy.

TJ Warren again yesterday for the Pacers, 35 points in a win.  He is lighting it up in the restart.  

Pacers look to be in the 4-5 slot and playing the Heat or Celtics, more likely the Heat.  Which means even if they win a second round match up with Milwaukee.  

it does take some of the excitement out of it all when it really doesn't matter if a team is the 4 or 5 seed.  

Yesterday the Sixers were the "home" team against the Spurs. The canned crowd noises for all games have been of fans cheering, but I guarantee you that Sixer fans would have been booing the team like crazy for a lot of that game.

Meanwhile, in the WNBA, this is as political as it gets.

WNBA players to wear T-shirts opposing Dream owner

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1

I watched the 76er's game today on the NBA network (because I've been charmed by Thybulle and his on-camera teammates, tbh) and the announcing was just awful. The announcers kept talking over each other, one sounded like he was in an echoing basement and he was SO LOUD, they kept randomly cutting to three people who had hosted a pre-game show and they never seemed to be talking about the live game going on, etc. It was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I watched the 76er's game today on the NBA network (because I've been charmed by Thybulle and his on-camera teammates, tbh) and the announcing was just awful. The announcers kept talking over each other, one sounded like he was in an echoing basement and he was SO LOUD, they kept randomly cutting to three people who had hosted a pre-game show and they never seemed to be talking about the live game going on, etc. It was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. 

I also watched the 76'ers game and I was surprised that Tobias Harris and Matisse who are so funny and jolly off the court are so serious and intense when they play. I guess it makes sense, but their game faces were definitely very different.

I've been watching a variety of bubble teams and honestly not a single bad team. The playoffs should be amazing. I love watching the Rockets the most. A very small but scrappy team.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Like 2

Memphis is 0-4 so far in the bubble and their remaining games are against OKC, Toronto, Boston and Milwaukee. If they aren't careful not only will they lose the #8 seed but they will fall out of the play-in scenario entirely. And as someone who is desperately rooting for San Antonio so they can keep their playoff streak alive, anything can happen.

Ben Simmons is out for the season. That's his second season ending injury this year. (In the before times he had a back injury that was going to bench him through the previously scheduled season, but was able to recover during the break.)

So weird seeing the Clippers and Blazers play an early afternoon eastern time game. I had to double check to see if it was actually live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Ben Simmons is out for the season. That's his second season ending injury this year. (In the before times he had a back injury that was going to bench him through the previously scheduled season, but was able to recover during the break.)

So weird seeing the Clippers and Blazers play an early afternoon eastern time game. I had to double check to see if it was actually live.

Jesus he's the second guy to blow out his knee in the bubble (Jonathan Isaacs being the other one). 

So now that the Pelicans have been eliminated from the playoffs there's a lot of chatter in the twitter and reddit-verses that Zion Williamson is "fat" and out of shape. Is he? I've seen him play and think that he's just one of those rare basketball players that's not extremely ectomorphic. He's like Shaq/Charles Barkley/Draymond Green instead of Kevin Durant/Chris Bosh/Steph Curry.

1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

So now that the Pelicans have been eliminated from the playoffs there's a lot of chatter in the twitter and reddit-verses that Zion Williamson is "fat" and out of shape. Is he? I've seen him play and think that he's just one of those rare basketball players that's not extremely ectomorphic. He's like Shaq/Charles Barkley/Draymond Green instead of Kevin Durant/Chris Bosh/Steph Curry.

Zion will be fine. I'm certain that he will get into better shape for next season. I like his game a lot & he is easy to root for. He still has plenty to learn. Hopefully, the Pelicans will get a better coach next season because their current one (Alvin Gentry) is going to bring him & that team down.  He almost makes that incompetent loser Mike Brown (former Cavaliers coach & currently piggybacking on those Warriors being their "assistant head coach") look like a genius.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Holy shit that Western Conference race is crazy.

It most certainly is. Last night's game between the Trail Blazers & Mavericks was a lot of fun to watch. Its just too bad that not only that the Pelicans (Zion Williamson) will not be a part of the postseason, but whoever gets the 8th seed will basically be sacrificial lambs to the Lakers.

The Portland Trail Blazers will also find a way to mess it up like they always do. They've been getting hyped lately because of Damian Lillard (scoring 50 & 61 points in his last 2 games). But, the Blazers will win a game at most in the first round, if they get to the Playoffs. Frankly, I don't know why people are so "concerned" about the Lakers struggling in the bubble since they got the 1 seed or why that is even newsworthy. I know that lots of people (ESPN & Undisputed) want the Lakers to go all the way by any means necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magog said:

It most certainly is. Last night's game between the Trail Blazers & Mavericks was a lot of fun to watch. Its just too bad that not only that the Pelicans (Zion Williamson) will not be a part of the postseason, but whoever gets the 8th seed will basically be sacrificial lambs to the Lakers.

The Portland Trail Blazers will also find a way to mess it up like they always do. They've been getting hyped lately because of Damian Lillard (scoring 50 & 61 points in his last 2 games). But, the Blazers will win a game at most in the first round, if they get to the Playoffs. Frankly, I don't know why people are so "concerned" about the Lakers struggling in the bubble since they got the 1 seed or why that is even newsworthy. I know that lots of people (ESPN & Undisputed) want the Lakers to go all the way by any means necessary.

Damian Lilllard is amazing but I'm not sure he can always carry a team by dropping 61 like he did last night.

can I admit though that the Lakers in the bubble is IMO the least exciting of the front running teams? I respect Lebron and Anthony Davis and what they do but seeing Danny Green brick one three after another and Javale McGee and Dwight Howard in their really slow low post-games is just not exciting.

I think the Clippers, Blazers, Suns, Mavs, Rockets, etc are all more fun to watch.

• Like 2

Damian Lillard got 41 points tonight & Portland won the game tonight (134-133) against the Nets. That game was very exciting to watch. Portland (8th) will play Memphis (9) on Saturday Afternoon to see who will be the sacrificial lamb to the Lakers. 

That also means the Spurs & Suns are goin' fishing right now.

As for Friday's games, all 3 of them Heat - Pacers, Thunder - Clippers, & 76ers - Rockets are flat-out nap-inducing.

can I admit though that the Lakers in the bubble is IMO the least exciting of the front running teams? I respect Lebron and Anthony Davis and what they do but seeing Danny Green brick one three after another and Javale McGee and Dwight Howard in their really slow low post-games is just not exciting.

Except for LeBron obviously, I find Anthony Davis (not his fault), Javale McGee (especially), & Dwight Howard (always) very loathsome.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Magog said:

Damian Lillard got 41 points tonight & Portland won the game tonight (134-133) against the Nets. That game was very exciting to watch. Portland (8th) will play Memphis (9) on Saturday Afternoon to see who will be the sacrificial lamb to the Lakers. 

That also means the Spurs & Suns are goin' fishing right now.

Heartbroken for the Suns but if Damian Lillard didn't make it into the playoffs after almost singlehandedly dragging his team through games that somehow doesn't seem right. 

• Like 1

Has there ever been a more baby-faced killer than Dame Time?

It’s a real bummer for Phoenix to go undefeated in the bubble and miss out, but they’re the ones who dragged their sad record into the bubble in the first place.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s a real bummer for Phoenix to go undefeated in the bubble and miss out, but they’re the ones who dragged their sad record into the bubble in the first place.

Steph Curry is also a shortish, baby-faced assassin like Damian.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I probably would've opted out if I knew that I wasn't getting an automatic postseason pass for going undefeated for nothing

Why is the play-in game, the only game today, on at 2:30 in the afternoon? 

I realize that it's Saturday but I got things to do today NBA!

I hope Dame Lillard and the Blazers win. I've been watching him during the Bubble and unlike other starters for other teams he got no rest. He played full games every time and dragged his team into contention. Insane scoring. For that he has my respect. (It also helps that he's ... well, he's cute.) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I hope Dame Lillard and the Blazers win. I've been watching him during the Bubble and unlike other starters for other teams he got no rest. He played full games every time and dragged his team into contention. Insane scoring. For that he has my respect. (It also helps that he's ... well, he's cute.) 

I also want Dame to win, because Dame stands a better chance at challenging the Lakers. That's an insane thing to say but Bubble Dame has been just unstoppable and the Bubble Lakers have not been the Lakers. 

But if he's gonna stand any chance they gotta bounce the Grizzlies today, they cannot be farting around playing an extra back-to-back. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Like 4

Powered through my meetings today to catch the second half of the play in. 

Looks like I made a good decision. Grizz and Blazers both want it. 

On 8/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Zion will never have the lean, lanky body type we typically associate with basketball players, but yeah, he definitely needs to drop weight. In the clips I saw it looked like he could barely haul himself up and down the court. Nothing an hour a day on the treadmill can't fix.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Zion will never have the lean, lanky body type we typically associate with basketball players, but yeah, he definitely needs to drop weight. In the clips I saw it looked like he could barely haul himself up and down the court. Nothing an hour a day on the treadmill can't fix.

Yeah, but I feel like Zion's the type who always has to watch his weight. Maybe he needs to hire a personal chef because if there's anything the behind the bubble vlogs have taught me it's just how much NBA players eat. Matisse Thybulle in his vlogs seems to start his day with a massive stack of food. Yet most basketball players can probably eat a house and not gain much weight because of their ectomorphic build. So if Zion's just eating "normal" NBA amounts but gaining weight then he needs a chef or something to figure it out. 

In other news I'm hoping Portland didn't fight that hard just to get slaughtered by the Lakers. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, Growsonwalls said:

He may have a body like Shaq but he is more explosive and would need something more like Karl Malone for his body to withstand that explosiveness. Every time I see him I see a larger Larry Grandmama Johnson and am waiting for his power to drop him mid career in a similar manner.

• Like 2

This is what I'm talking about with the build differences. Zion is just about twice as wide as Ja Morant.

200204114727-zion-williamson-ja-morant-0

I'm not really sure what he can do about being built more like a linebacker than a baller.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

...if there's anything the behind the bubble vlogs have taught me it's just how much NBA players eat. Matisse Thybulle in his vlogs seems to start his day with a massive stack of food.

Holy cow, these guys eat a ton of food! I mean, I get it, these guys are so tall and burning tons of calories every day but I was still amazed at some of the plates Thybulle's vlog showed. I think he eats more for breakfast than I do in a day. Tobias Harris and Kyle O'Quinn also had huge plates of dinner in one video (the night they took food from another team's buffet, lol).

I think Zion is just built differently like Barkley is and he's always going to have to stay on top of his weight. I also wonder if quarantine threw him off, too. Stuck at home for months and not able to work out as usual in the middle of the season? That could screw things up.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Holy cow, these guys eat a ton of food! I mean, I get it, these guys are so tall and burning tons of calories every day but I was still amazed at some of the plates Thybulle's vlog showed. I think he eats more for breakfast than I do in a day. Tobias Harris and Kyle O'Quinn also had huge plates of dinner in one video (the night they took food from another team's buffet, lol).

I think Zion is just built differently like Barkley is and he's always going to have to stay on top of his weight. I also wonder if quarantine threw him off, too. Stuck at home for months and not able to work out as usual in the middle of the season? That could screw things up.

Zion was also coming off an injury. So quarantine + injury might have meant he was out of shape for the bubble. But as I said, it's build differences too. Like in the bubble vlogs you see a bunch of guys constantly stuffing their faces with huge plates of food as well as snacks and they still look lanky and lean. 

Also, Zion just turned 20. He can;t even legally drink yet. 

I'm excited for the playoffs. The two top teams (the Bucks and Lakers) havent' looked all that good in the bubble so I'm looking forward to them getting challenged.

• Like 3

Matisse Thybulle has uploaded another vlog and again, it seems like NBA players when they're not working out are eating. 

I also love how they're so massive that they make a regular pool seem like a kiddie wading pool.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Matisse Thybulle has uploaded another vlog and again, it seems like NBA players when they're not working out are eating. 

I also love how they're so massive that they make a regular pool seem like a kiddie wading pool.

I liked the little glimpses of them getting on each other's nerves. I know they like and respect each other but I'm sure it's exhausting to be around your teammates 24/7 with no breaks for almost 2 months now. But yeah, these guys eat all. the. time. 

I also appreciated hot, shirtless athletes in the pool, but that's another story.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I liked the little glimpses of them getting on each other's nerves. I know they like and respect each other but I'm sure it's exhausting to be around your teammates 24/7 with no breaks for almost 2 months now. But yeah, these guys eat all. the. time. 

I also appreciated hot, shirtless athletes in the pool, but that's another story.

Well one thing that's been happening is that Tobias Harris and Matisse have been getting a lot of minutes while Kyle O'Quinn has been like the backup of the backup. Now reserve players are part of the business but it can't be easy for Kyle O'Quinn to sit as a benchwarmer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well one thing that's been happening is that Tobias Harris and Matisse have been getting a lot of minutes while Kyle O'Quinn has been like the backup of the backup. Now reserve players are part of the business but it can't be easy for Kyle O'Quinn to sit as a benchwarmer. 

O'Quinn has gotten a few minutes in but you're right, not nearly as much as the other 2nd and 3rd string players. Plus, it's rumored Thybulle might be starting in one or two of the upcoming games against the Celtics since they need a strong defense and Simmons is out.

• Like 1

Another thing about rookies like Matisse is that it's NBA "tradition" to be really cruel and snotty to them. Part of that is job insecurity -- a rookie comes in, and if he's good, he's taking away someone's minutes. You can tell that Matisse has a good relationship with Tobias and Kyle but it doesn;t mean there isn't some tension underneath the surface.

Speaking of rookies and vets I thought it was so nice that Dame Lillard hugged a heartbroken Ja Morant after the Grizzlies lost to the Blazers.

9d3adb02-d37b-4d81-a485-04ceea4bee31-AP2

It was just a moment of kindness that was really nice. I couldn't picture someone like MJ doing this.

• Like 7

The Magic rolled the Bucks!!! 

I mean I get that the Bucks were kinda sleepy in the seeding games, but I think we all expected them to flip a switch when the playoffs started. Still expect them to put it together and probably bounce the Magic in 5, but props Orlando. props. Way to turn up Home Team. 

EDIT: 

THE BLAZERS ROLLED THE LAKERS!!!

The 8 seeds came to play baby. IT'S DAME TIME.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Like 4